Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Yesterday's news

revkev

I may be turning 61 next week but I always seem to be learning. If it weren't for a thread on the forums I would have laid out $800 for a new set of irons and then frustrated when they made little difference in my score. Why? Because I don't hit iron enough to make much difference in what I shoot - Putter, Driver, wedges, fairway/hybrid, irons. That's the order of how frequently I hit my clubs in a given round.

However if we start to look at meaningful shots (not tap ins or 15-25 footers where there is little chance of make or 3 putt) It's probably Driver, Wedges, Putter, Irons, fairway/hybrid with the last two categories switching depending upon the course set up (length).

At any rate I hit my hybrids remarkably well and my fairway wood is coming on. They were all bought on the cheap because they were used or several generations old but unused. I bought a 6 hybrid today that falls into that category also.

I do hit newer stuff but I've yet to find anything in those categories that would threaten kicking them out of the bag. I will add that I've been fit half a dozen times and three of those times by a fitter who has extensive tour fitting experience. I'm at a point where I have a pretty good idea of what I need to accomplish what I want out of my game.

My question for those who are always chasing the newest equipment is why? Do you see tangible results? I realize that my age and lagging club head speed make it less likely for me to see big distance gains from the latest and greatest. But for those of you who drop coinage is it worth it in terms of tangible, long term results?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think for me it goes back to when I was playing paintball or hockey when I was younger. The newest and shiniest thing always catches my eye and it's unlike golf where the new tech is all that is available unless buying used. When I try something new most of the time it's not a whole lot different. I fight the urge to buy something new often.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We all have different motivations but as long as you're pretty well fit with your clubs then chasing a tangible change in your game with new equipment is a bit of a pipe dream. But sometimes it's just fun to buy something new. If you have the means and it makes you happy to do so, then why not? I like to buy putters. Maybe one or two a season. I'll eBay the old one and move on. Some stay for a while, some go quickly, none really make a statistical difference. But I like to have something new to look at every so often. What's the harm in that?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I do hit newer stuff but I've yet to find anything in those categories that would threaten kicking them out of the bag. I will add that I've been fit half a dozen times and three of those times by a fitter who has extensive tour fitting experience. I'm at a point where I have a pretty good idea of what I need to accomplish what I want out of my game.

My question for those who are always chasing the newest equipment is why? Do you see tangible results? I realize that my age and lagging club head speed make it less likely for me to see big distance gains from the latest and greatest. But for those of you who drop coinage is it worth it in terms of tangible, long term results?

I'm a lot like you Rev. All my irons are custom fit and purchased in August 2014. I carry one FW metal of the same vintage. Putter is 2015 custom fit also. My driver is a 2014 SLDR I got when doing a review here on MGS. It's the only non-fit club in my bag. I suppose I just got lucky as it turned out to be the best driver I've ever had/played. So... I don't chase equipment either. There's no point in it for me. If I do anything this next year I might have new heads put on my wedges. I'll continue playing the SLDR until that face caves in.

I almost forgot... I did purchase a combo set of KZG Kyoei forged irons from one of our forum members several months ago. I'm going to have them setup by my fitter and test them out during the winter. We'll see. They'll either make the cut or they won't. The KZG's are older than the Wishons I'm playing now but look brand new! I just couldn't resist. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Rev, I'm 9 years older than you, and I know for a fact my swing speed is quite bit less than it was 10 years ago.  I have always been trying to improve my game, so I have chased technology to help out.  The last few years I have noticed that I am not seeing very much improvement by changing drivers.  I am pretty sure that I can hit just about any driver with the proper flex the same distance.  Some may feel better, but distance is the same. 

I changed FW/Hybrids this year to Wilson D300 and I like the feel and I know what they can do.  I have been playing Ping i20 irons for about 5 years and switching off and on with my Macgregors that I reshafted.  I like both of them, but this summer I bit the bullet and bought a set of Bridgestone JGR Hybrid forged irons at a great price; super game improvement and probably better clubs suited to my declining game.  They are like having a full set of hybrids down to wedges.  I am finally getting them dialed in, and I think they are the best bang for the buck to help my game.

I also bought the Ping Sigma G Doon putter.  I like the looks of it and after I have been playing with it for 3 weeks, it has turned me from a decent putter to a really good putter; my humble opinion!!  I rarely 3-putt; I don't miss many short putts, and those 15-25 footers that you mentioned... I now expect to make a bunch of those.  The confidence of a good feeling putter is huge!  

The only clubs I did not change out this year are my SCOR wedges, but I did drop the 42 and 46 out to accommodate the JGRs.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I fall on the other side of some of the followup posters;  I will be 52 in a couple of months.   i have never changed my clubs a lot and most stay in the bag for a long time.  My next changes will most likely be due to a need for a need to change the flex of my shafts or to replace more irons with hybrids.   

Seems like every time I go look at new clubs and compare to my current games I don't see enough benefit that would drive me to make the change.  I change putters just because I like putters;  I would say it is like Carolina Golfer 2 and his love for irons.  

The more I read forums,  the more I read that people aren't getting significant benefit from new technology in clubs.  The exception may be someone who wasn't golf knowledgeable and just picked up clubs then became obsessed and went and got fit.  I think fitting for specs will provide a bigger benefit than just picking up newer and shinier.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If I'm being honest, It's all about getting something new, clean and shiny. If it helps my game it's a bonus.  :)

Being honest again; I kind of like that my clubs look used and have that "legitimate" patina that any well used, loved and taken care of tool has. ;)

I won't be buying any clubs unless they will help my game.... or, I just want them. :D

I actually touched on this subject in the "stuck in the bag, what won" thread.  In the past 10 years the only changes in my bag have been 2 drivers, 1 hybrid, and several driver shafts.  I will add that the grooves on my high irons/ wedges are noticeably worn and will be replaced before next season.  As much as I have loved my clubs, I am looking forward to some shiny new sticks in the bag.  I think I get my new equipment itch scratched from smaller things such as different balls, a new glove, unique ball marker etc.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I like shiny new toys but you have a point Rev. I am back to my 917 driver and 3 wood and Hogan the rest of the bag. This setup just works for me and never really even sure why I went away from it. Over the winter I plan to get a new set of Hogans made to the same specs so I have a second set just in case I can't get them in the future. I am not even sure I could think of everything I have purchased in the last two years and think all the change has hurt my game a bit.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I just like trying new stuff.  It's part of the fun of golf for me.  I really don't have any illusions that one new thing is going to give me another 20 yds, or drop 5 strokes off my game.  It's just fun to try new stuff sometimes though.

I've also been through multiple fittings for every part of my bag and have a really good idea of what specs and qualities will work for me.  

With all of the different clubs I've bought over the past 3 seasons and who knows how many drivers I've tried, my bag hasn't changed except for putter.  I may swap out a hybrid for a long iron but except for the new putter there isn't a club newer than 2013/2014 in the bag.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I may be turning 61 next week but I always seem to be learning. If it weren't for a thread on the forums I would have laid out $800 for a new set of irons and then frustrated when they made little difference in my score. Why? Because I don't hit iron enough to make much difference in what I shoot - Putter, Driver, wedges, fairway/hybrid, irons. That's the order of how frequently I hit my clubs in a given round.

However if we start to look at meaningful shots (not tap ins or 15-25 footers where there is little chance of make or 3 putt) It's probably Driver, Wedges, Putter, Irons, fairway/hybrid with the last two categories switching depending upon the course set up (length).

At any rate I hit my hybrids remarkably well and my fairway wood is coming on. They were all bought on the cheap because they were used or several generations old but unused. I bought a 6 hybrid today that falls into that category also.

I'd like to say I bought new equipment to improve but I didn't. I was just an equipment junkie. Older and wiser. Still using last equipment purchased. Entering the super game improvement stage of my life (70+). May start looking in that direction.

I'd like to say I bought new equipment to improve but I didn't. I was just an equipment junkie. Older and wiser. Still using last equipment purchased. Entering the super game improvement stage of my life (70+). May start looking in that direction.

Username checks out.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

As you can see from my signature, I'm not one to change clubs easily.  Part of this is cost, but the main part is I can't find anything I hit better.  

My current irons were fit (in store) but at the time I wasn't swinging well, and I've never been comfortable with how upright they are. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and go to an independent fitter with full options and see what comes out on top.

Wedges get changed when they wear out, I'm having serious non buyers regret that I didn't load up on SCOR wedges when they were still available at low cost and buy a couple of replacement sets for future use. I've similarly missed out on Ben Hogan wedges at great prices.  I can still get them for less than current model Cleveland or Vokeys, even with shipping and exchange rate so might have just do it.

My putter won't be changing any time soon (thanks MGS and MLA)

My old Nickent driver, TM fairways and hybrid date back to 2008/2009. The Grafalloy Epic shafts are a perfect fit for me, and whenever I try a new driver with a stock shaft I wonder how it would go with a shaft that fits me as well as the Epic.

Unless I'm going to get a demonstrable improvement, I won't spend the cash. This also leaves more funds for updating my clothing ensembles!

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I've spent a goodly sum this quarter on equipment (+/- $3000) but not necessarily in pursuit of some illusive extra 10 yards or 5 stroke improvement. I bought a "new" set of irons for me, i-25s with graphite shafts because my i-15 steels were hurting my elbow and I didnt really like flight characteristics.

I did a full bag fitting and driver/shaft combo was clearly identified as were shaft/iron combo. I obtained the driver but decided to wait on the irons because the i-25s are working so well.

I bought a new putter because I was dissatisfied. Old one is back in the bag.

Ive bought stuff to fill holes in my bag as I've changed from a bomber to a more methodical golfer, doing more constructive course management and trying to play my strengths instead of covering weaknesses.

All with a simple, single mindedness to be better at this game. I'm still yet to beat my daily biggest competitor...myself and my expectations of excellence.

And thats why I love golf. I can improve daily, strive to be better, but there's always a forward path to more improvement.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Boy....I could have written a lot of this post myself...HA   But it boils down to what you say and some others have said, i know a new set of irons over the ones I just got two months ago, isn't going to give me 20 some extra yards...I'm much more informed about what specs i need than that.....ha   But it's the new shiny syndrome, and some of it is supporting brands that have been good to me in one form or another that year or recently.   As I age and relaize my years of a steady income are nearing an end, I'll ultimately find my way into finding "the" set and set tingly in with them for the long haul. 

.  I change putters just because I like putters;  I would say it is like Carolina Golfer 2 and his love for irons.  

hey....why do you have to be dragginig me into this....LOL

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I change putters just because I like putters; I would say it is like Carolina Golfer 2 and his love for irons.

hey....why do you have to be dragginig me into this....LOL

I'm gonna use this every chance I get:

HYdwmmf.jpg

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Spoiler alert: not everyone gets new equipment because it makes them better. I'd argue that the majority of the guys that are constantly changing equipment do so because they simply love playing with new equipment - whether they admit to that or not is another issue haha

Spoiler alert: not everyone gets new equipment because it makes them better. I'd argue that the majority of the guys that are constantly changing equipment do so because they simply love playing with new equipment - whether they admit to that or not is another issue haha

Or try and attempt to one-up their regular playing partners who also constantly update their equipment

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I prefer to think I'm providing s community service. Testing many sets for the masses, to be s resource if you will

I prefer to think I'm providing s community service. Testing many sets for the masses, to be s resource if you will

And you do a great job. I think you test about 5 or 6 different bag configurations a month?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

And you do a great job. I think you test about 5 or 6 different bag configurations a month?

Well that may be a bit of a stretch. But only because there are only so many days in a month. Ha

putter wedges driver in order of use putter most used club in everyone's bag

putter wedges driver in order of use putter most used club in everyone's bag

But many if not most of its uses are irrelevant. I could use hybrid to make stuff inside of two feet with the same proficiency as putter and if I've knocked a drive ob and an iron in the water on a hole I'm not going to care about the putt.

Putter usage doesn't measure the value of putting. Not three putting and getting the 50/50 mark stretched out past seven feet is what matters.

Learn to control my distance and work on knocking in half of my 7 footers and I'm good to go with putter. Nearly tour caliber there.

Look at the tour stats - strokes gained tee to green almost mirrors the money list not putting.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Every time one of these posts comes up it always has a “you're trying to buy game” feeling to it.

I love golf and I like playing with new equipment as you can see from my signature, I'm not trying to find distance. I don't play on tv so I don't get bent out of shape when I hit errant shots with them either. There's so many options out there, I just want to play a few before it's too late. Granted I have developed particular tastes and there are clubs I haven't sold-still have the first scotty I purchased; a futura mid mallet cut down to 35”.

I don't have a wife, kids or a mortgage so I'm free to indulge myself. Golf clubs today, tomorrow a Maserati might be next, that's the beauty of it!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Certainly the idea behind golf is to have fun - if it's fun to buy new equipment then by all means do.

We sometimes read that golf is expensive. It can be but it doesn't have to be. If a person is wise in his equipment purchases, takes care of his equipment and doesn't make changes unless there is a clear benefit he doesn't have to spend a lot on his equipment.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

There's a lot of truth to this statement.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

To answer Rev's question.........No

I do enjoy the quest for something better, but it is really not wort( the coin. I was an 18 to 20 Hcap 20 years ago and I am still struggling in that I am an 18 to 20 Hcap now. I have gotten older and shortened the course by 500 yards. Occasionally, I can see a a glimmer of light on my game, but the overall has not changed.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

To answer Rev's question.........No

I do enjoy the quest for something better, but it is really not wort( the coin. I was an 18 to 20 Hcap 20 years ago and I am still struggling in that I am an 18 to 20 Hcap now. I have gotten older and shortened the course by 500 yards. Occasionally, I can see a a glimmer of light on my game, but the overall has not changed.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Occasionally I can have a want & need situation.

May not need it but definitely want it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 2 weeks later...

But many if not most of its uses are irrelevant. I could use hybrid to make stuff inside of two feet with the same proficiency as putter and if I've knocked a drive ob and an iron in the water on a hole I'm not going to care about the putt.

Putter usage doesn't measure the value of putting. Not three putting and getting the 50/50 mark stretched out past seven feet is what matters.

Learn to control my distance and work on knocking in half of my 7 footers and I'm good to go with putter. Nearly tour caliber there.

Look at the tour stats - strokes gained tee to green almost mirrors the money list not putting.

zach johnson can never compete on paper with dj yet zach has 2 majors hmmm speith not super long

agree to disagree cheers

Archived