Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Yesterday's news

revkev

Since 1992, when I was stationed in Monterey, CA, and got serious about golf, I have gamed about 6 different sets of Irons, a variety of woods, hybrids and putters, but each time I made the change there was a legitimate reason.  

1992 - Was fitted for a set of John Riley "Riley Repeater" irons while in Monterey- about $650 at the time, which was steep for an Army Captain, but I was single and love the game.  Played them thru about 98 or so, when I moved up to the Bay Area.   riley.jpg    

1998 - Started having a hook/ pull hook problem, so bought a used set of Tommy Armor Silver Scott 845's- less offset, which corrected the problem I was having with the Rileys. Played 845's for about 8 years. 845.jpg

2006- Playing more often with a weekend group, one of whom was playing Hogan Apex Edge Pros.  Wow, what a club- I love  the feel and the control was amazing, so I bought a used set and gamed them for about 8 years.hogan apex edge.jpg  

2014 - Started losing distance and recognized that the Hogan technology was at least 10 years old, so I went to golf galaxy and started trying out different used sets on the launch monitor to see if  I could find something that was comparable in feel, and more forgiving than the Hogans- ended up with the TaylorMade Burner 2.0. burner.jpg

2015 - When the Hogan Ft Worths came out, even though I knew they were way too hard for my game, I had to have them, so I got a great deal from a high school golf coach, and played them for about a year, but recognized that they were too much club- akin to someone with a learners permit driving a McLaren- so I sold them to a buddy who has game. hogan ft worth.png

2016- Used the proceeds from selling the Ft Worths to buy my buddy's Titlest AP2 714's I have the feel I am looking for, can work the ball well from right to left, and sometimes from left to right(just not as well), and my index is about the lowest it has been - AP2.jpg

Still using the Hogan TK wedges from my Ft Worth set, and an ANCIENT (vintage 1962) Sandy Andy sand wedge 

sandy andy.jpg

as well as my trusty Cleveland mallet putters-l300.jpg

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Since 1992, when I was stationed in Monterey, CA, and got serious about golf, I have gamed about 6 different sets of Irons, a variety of woods, hybrids and putters, but each time I made the change there was a legitimate reason.

1992 - Was fitted for a set of John Riley "Riley Repeater" irons while in Monterey- about $650 at the time, which was steep for an Army Captain, but I was single and love the game. Played them thru about 98 or so, when I moved up to the Bay Area. attachicon.gifriley.jpg

1998 - Started having a hook/ pull hook problem, so bought a used set of Tommy Armor Silver Scott 845's- less offset, which corrected the problem I was having with the Rileys. Played 845's for about 8 years. attachicon.gif845.jpg

2006- Playing more often with a weekend group, one of whom was playing Hogan Apex Edge Pros. Wow, what a club- I love the feel and the control was amazing, so I bought a used set and gamed them for about 8 years.attachicon.gifhogan apex edge.jpg

2014 - Started losing distance and recognized that the Hogan technology was at least 10 years old, so I went to golf galaxy and started trying out different used sets on the launch monitor to see if I could find something that was comparable in feel, and more forgiving than the Hogans- ended up with the TaylorMade Burner 2.0. attachicon.gifburner.jpg

2015 - When the Hogan Ft Worths came out, even though I knew they were way too hard for my game, I had to have them, so I got a great deal from a high school golf coach, and played them for about a year, but recognized that they were too much club- akin to someone with a learners permit driving a McLaren- so I sold them to a buddy who has game. attachicon.gifhogan ft worth.png

2016- Used the proceeds from selling the Ft Worths to buy my buddy's Titlest AP2 714's I have the feel I am looking for, can work the ball well from right to left, and sometimes from left to right(just not as well), and my index is about the lowest it has been - attachicon.gifAP2.jpg

Still using the Hogan TK wedges from my Ft Worth set, and an ANCIENT (vintage 1962) Sandy Andy sand wedge

attachicon.gifsandy andy.jpg

as well as my trusty Cleveland mallet putterattachicon.gifs-l300.jpg

Enjoyed your transition write up! 🏌️⛳️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Interesting history - thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Adding another thought to this thread. While playing a round this week with good golfing buddy of mine who I hadn't played with in about 4 months. He commented on my "new Mizunos".

I explained about testing them for here.

Then we went through the rest of my bag and realized every other club in there, wedges, FW, hybrid, putter are all finishing their 2nd full year in the bag. Driver only came out last year, but finishing this year in the bag.

So that's something for me.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Adding another thought to this thread. While playing a round this week with good golfing buddy of mine who I hadn't played with in about 4 months. He commented on my "new Mizunos".

I explained about testing them for here.

Then we went through the rest of my bag and realized every other club in there, wedges, FW, hybrid, putter are all finishing their 2nd full year in the bag. Driver only came out last year, but finishing this year in the bag.

So that's something for me.

Hmmm, then along come Titleist

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Hmmm, then along come Titleist

Well this time last year all 14 clubs were Titliesf. I jumped on the Srixons early this year with the intent to play them until the 718's came out. Then I got picked for the Mizuno testing.

Once the Mizuno testing is complete, I imagine the 718 and Hot Metals will have a shoot out. They are definitley good enough to have a shot.

Well this time last year all 14 clubs were Titliesf. I jumped on the Srixons early this year with the intent to play them until the 718's came out. Then I got picked for the Mizuno testing.

Once the Mizuno testing is complete, I imagine the 718 and Hot Metals will have a shoot out. They are definitley good enough to have a shot.

the 718's are awesome.

Rick

Left Hand, 

the 718's are awesome.

yes, they are.  The AP1 are just stupid easy to hit long and straight and feel surprisingly good.  The AP2 are some of best feeling clubs I've hit recently. 

yes, they are. The AP1 are just stupid easy to hit long and straight and feel surprisingly good. The AP2 are some of best feeling clubs I've hit recently.

I found an AP3 LH head for fitting and will get a chance to hit it next week.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Archived