TESTERS WANTED! ×

The XCalibers are NOT dead. I've been vry sick for a long time.

I'm just hitting "quote" that says "reply directly to this post...". So to make it a personal reply, I'd have to follow your tip right? I'll learn all this eventually....;)...

Just keep smashing all the buttons at once cave man, you'll figure it out eventually.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just hitting "quote" that says "reply directly to this post...".  So to make it a personal reply, I'd have to follow your tip right?  I'll learn all this eventually.... ;)...

You can quote like you did, and that would be personal enough because you're quoting them. If you wanted to make it off forum, you'd have to go to PM, which is another kettle of fish. It's cool, you're getting it.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Robin, what are some of your plans for the Tour X line of iron shafts. I have to say that the performance of the 85 gram versions were truly shocking in consistency and feel

Hey Popeye!

Thanks for the post, and your comment/review on the Xcaliber Tour X irons .

I can say this truthfully about the 85 gram and 95 gram versions of the T-Xs - the 85 g. version is probably the best iron shafts I've ever designed with the 95 running a close second.  Now the 105 gram version needs a bit of help I think.  The 105 shafts plays well, especially in the shorter clubs, but in my constant mantra of  always striving for "continuous improvement" I know I can make them a lot better.  I plan to have them completely redesigned, player tested - and even re-designed as req'd./p. testing as this heavier wt. is def. geared toward the better/stronger players.  I hope to have them ready for release by end of April/early May.

Now to go a bit further, I've even "tightened up" the designs for the 85 and 95 gram shafts to insure rotational consistency even beyond the high level they've exhibited in the past

In addition, I've brought on-line a new factory who's attention to detail in production and therefore has a much higher sense of quality control than the previous factory I was using which gets me and my Xcaliber Teams pretty dang excited about '18.  I've been able to seamlessly introduce minor variations in the tooling , more consistent prepreg materials AND change up our inspection protocols that will now include a 100% inspection of the tip end zone frequencies - which NO ONE in this industry makes the effort to include in their QA/QC inspections.  And truthfully insuring a consistent, complete distribution of stiffness is really important.  I've measured and tested quite large variations in shaft products and large variations - and they're out there for sure - can definitely make 2 shafts play different.

Finally, we've redesigned the cosmetics and they are freakin' kule!!!  .  I have the shafts at a photographer right now and when I get the shots back, I'll post here .

So that's it Popeye .  Again, I'm/we're really excited about '18 as with all the new products we're releasing and with a true heightened sense of service to all golfers, fitters and club makers...that's what it's really all about isn't it?  Selling products is one thing of course, but HELPING folks have a better game and have more fun - that's the direction all companies should take regardless of industry.  Heck, that's what we're doing with this company in all aspects.  It really parallels what MGS is doing - helping folks with their equipment+ decisions - which is great I think and I hope to be a sponsor asap.

Thanks again for the post!  

Robin

Just keep smashing all the buttons at once cave man, you'll figure it out eventually.

Funny!  And sound wisdom...heck I can smash at will even w/ both index fingers...one talented Hillbilly aqui!!!

Now go find Olive Oyl and have fun you Beast!!!

Well making the Tour X better will really be something. Looking forward to them!!!

Thanks Pops de Eye!  I really want to expand upon your testing with the Tour X irons where you combined the 85s for the longer irons, 95s for the shorter ones, and 105 for the wedges.  i've done that in the past of course but w/ your thorough testing, and the improvements I've made, and am going to make on the 105s, providing a package of shafts might be pretty kule and helpful to a lot of folks.  Let's revisit that asap.

Thanks again for the post!

Hey Robin,

I tested a few shafts for my irons down at Golfworks a year or so ago, including the Xcaliber Tour (I believe) shaft but ended up with the UST Recoil 680 F4 because of the distance and ball flight. I really wanted to get the Xcalibers (they came in as a second choice out of about 6 or 7 shafts) but to me they felt a bit boardy compared to the Recoils.

Is there anything coming that would be in line with what I'm using now?

Matt

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Hey Robin,

I tested a few shafts for my irons down at Golfworks a year or so ago, including the Xcaliber Tour (I believe) shaft but ended up with the UST Recoil 680 F4 because of the distance and ball flight. I really wanted to get the Xcalibers (they came in as a second choice out of about 6 or 7 shafts) but to me they felt a bit boardy compared to the Recoils.

Is there anything coming that would be in line with what I'm using now?

Matt

Hey Matt -

Thx for the post!  hey at least I beat 5 other shafts eh...;)...?

Which flex did you test in the Tour Xs?  We had both 110 and 95 Recoils in our p. testing along w/ my friend Chris Hilleary's Steelfibers, a Dynamic Gold, Kim's KBS Tour and Tour 90s, Adila's SLT Tour plus a couple others.  In all cases my 95 and 85 designs were either first, or second in all tests inc. head-head vs. Recoils in testing without me there in 4 places across the country.  That's when I knew i has something esp. in the 95 and 85 gram range.  never heard any played boardy but will take that comment to heart and eval accordingly so thanks for the feedback.  I'll def check the original specs vs. my redesign and will go from there.  Thx Bro!

Hey Matt -

Thx for the post!  hey at least I beat 5 other shafts eh... ;)...?

Which flex did you test in the Tour Xs?  We had both 110 and 95 Recoils in our p. testing along w/ my friend Chris Hilleary's Steelfibers, a Dynamic Gold, Kim's KBS Tour and Tour 90s, Adila's SLT Tour plus a couple others.  In all cases my 95 and 85 designs were either first, or second in all tests inc. head-head vs. Recoils in testing without me there in 4 places across the country.  That's when I knew i has something esp. in the 95 and 85 gram range.  never heard any played boardy but will take that comment to heart and eval accordingly so thanks for the feedback.  I'll def check the original specs vs. my redesign and will go from there.  Thx Bro!

Hey Robin,

If I recall correctly, they were stiff. I honestly don't know if boardy would be the right description, but it felt stiffer than the 680 F4. Also I wasn't getting the distance of the Recoils and they weren't as "on line". Maybe I should have tried a regular flex.

When your new line comes out, I might order a 6 iron head or two and a few shafts and see what happens.

Matt

In the bag:

Bag: 

Hey Robin,

If I recall correctly, they were stiff. I honestly don't know if boardy would be the right description, but it felt stiffer than the 680 F4. Also I wasn't getting the distance of the Recoils and they weren't as "on line". Maybe I should have tried a regular flex.

When your new line comes out, I might order a 6 iron head or two and a few shafts and see what happens.

Matt

Hey Matt -

I just checked the zone freqs again on both the the Recoil 95 and the Xcal T-X both s-flexes (I don't have data on the 860 because at the time I was told by "someone..." that the 95 was a lot better playing shaft than the 860 - it was def. a lot more expensive...).  Anyway, strictly speaking from a spec standpoint, the Recoil 95's stiffness distribution is a lot stiffer than that of the T-X shafts esp. in the lower 16-18".  So one might expect the former to play/feel stiffer than the later but obviously that wasn't the case.  I'm assuming you were using the exact same head, checked the lofts/lies and at least followed my white toward direction of ball-flight assy. technique which is intended to easily locate and assemble a club along that particular shaft's most stable plane.  But who knows eh?  but your fall-back thoughts are good ones and i look fwd. to being involved/hearing more feedback for sure.  And I'll keep saying this...I don't have the ego that can be prevalent in this industry.  My friend, I learn as much from y'all as you do from me and that's why it's a great symbiotic relationship.  I take all feedback to heart and simply try to do better next time.

Thanks again for the post Matt.  Blessings and Namaste!  Have a wonderful holiday season!!!

Hey Robin,

Matt

Hey Matt -

I just checked the zone freqs again on both the the Recoil 95 and the Xcal T-X both s-flexes (I don't have data on the 860 because at the time I was told by "someone..." that the 95 was a lot better playing shaft than the 860 - it was def. a lot more expensive...).  Anyway, strictly speaking from a spec standpoint, the Recoil 95's stiffness distribution is a lot stiffer than that of the T-X shafts esp. in the lower 16-18".  So one might expect the former to play/feel stiffer than the later but obviously that wasn't the case.  I'm assuming you were using the exact same head, checked the lofts/lies and at least followed my white toward direction of ball-flight assy. technique which is intended to easily locate and assemble a club along that particular shaft's most stable plane.  But who knows eh?  but your fall-back thoughts are good ones and i look fwd. to being involved/hearing more feedback for sure.  And I'll keep saying this...I don't have the ego that can be prevalent in this industry.  My friend, I learn as much from y'all as you do from me and that's why it's a great symbiotic relationship.  I take all feedback to heart and simply try to do better next time.

Thanks again for the post Matt.  Blessings and Namaste!  Have a wonderful holiday season!!!

Thanks Robin. I'll be anxiously waiting for the new line to come out.

In the bag:

Bag: 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been paying enough attention. Robin, good to see you're back! I just bought a used set of irons a month or 2 ago, and was wanting to replace the shafts in them with the TourX sticks I have in my other set. But after pulling them out of the set I originally put them in, 1 of them broke a round or 2 after re-shafting them. So I was a little afraid to pull them again and put them in another set of heads, since I didn't think I would be able to get any more. They are the 125s in TourX flex. Hoping a higher weight stiffer shaft in that line is still going to be available! Glad you are well! Welcome back!

I haven't been paying enough attention. Robin, good to see you're back! I just bought a used set of irons a month or 2 ago, and was wanting to replace the shafts in them with the TourX sticks I have in my other set. But after pulling them out of the set I originally put them in, 1 of them broke a round or 2 after re-shafting them. So I was a little afraid to pull them again and put them in another set of heads, since I didn't think I would be able to get any more. They are the 125s in TourX flex. Hoping a higher weight stiffer shaft in that line is still going to be available! Glad you are well! Welcome back!

Tour X,, 125g? are you sure about that weight? Have a picture of the shaft?

Yep, you're right. My mistake. It's the 105. In the TourX or x-stiff (I don't remember the exact nomenclature either...) flex. That's been a really good shaft for me.

Hey TRod...;)...

Right now I'm focusing on releasing all new shafts for '18 and need a bit of time to improve upon the 105 versions but def plan to do so.  I may have some '16/'17 TX 105s back in SDiego if interested.  I'll be in back 1/5 so give me a shout and we'll go from there. 

• 1 month later...

Switched my entire set to XCal....cant wait to see the new line up .....hopefully a way to get it in Canada

Driver:   Cobra Fly Z- Diamana Kai'li 60 S or Cobra SZ - Xcaliber 6S depends on the day
Fairway:  Ping G15 4 wood- Aldila Serrano 75S
Hybrids:   Cobra TWS 3 and 4 XCaliber FW S75 Shafts 
Irons:    Maltby TS2 5-PW- DG105 S
Wedges:  Maltby 50, 56, 60
Putter:  Hogan Bettinardi BHB 12

• 2 months later...

RobinArthur- I have used your shafts in the past, and would gladly do so again, but I don't know where to find them now that golfworks doesn't carry them anymore. Please, if you're out there, were can I find a retailer?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Anything?

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

• 1 month later...

Yeah. I've heard bad newd in other threads. Sad.

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Could you enlighten us please? I used to have some communication with Robin before he and his mother got sick.

I tried emailing him with nothing coming back by way of reply.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

He has resurfaced again but I'm not sure I want to get involved in this next go round.

Could you enlighten us please? I used to have some communication with Robin before he and his mother got sick.

I tried emailing him with nothing coming back by way of reply.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 3 weeks later...

Still very curious- all I've heard is that his illness has caused him to withdraw from work, etc. Hope he's doing well.

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

He's fine. He is actually finally releasing some new product. There is now some structure to the company. Some of the releases are really awesome. I think the website is up. That's the only way to order these days.

Still very curious- all I've heard is that his illness has caused him to withdraw from work, etc. Hope he's doing well.

The website refuses to connect for me.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Hey Matt -

Sorry for the confusion.  The report that the site was up and that's the only place to buy shafts was premature and incorrect.  I never reported that.  I am getting a definitive date today and am taking orders via my email address.  The old website was taken down without my knowledge and there should have been a note saying "Down for Reconstruction" or to that effect.  Stay tuned...

R

Archived