Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Long and curly or short and straight?

Woobie

No, not your girlfriends hair, your driver!

As a young fella I always admired how the older blokes could still play off quite low handicaps. I quickly realised there secret to success was hitting fairways.

While I found it hard as a teenager not to try and “smack the crap” out of it, when I did I found I hit more fairways and scored better.

In a conversation with my local pro yesterday he was telling another guy he need the driver that gets him as close to the target regardless of where it goes.

My local course has 12 holes where I hit driver. My average would be 8-9 fairways hit per round with my best at 11 average driving distance 230-240m.

While I understand the concept of the closer the target the shorter shot you have to play and the closer to target you should get, but what good is length if poor direction puts you 20m in the bushes?

So what do you all think, long and curly or short and straight?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I prefer straight but would be happy with known curly and long. The two way miss is horrible

Strokes gained research has shown that the shorter the club you play on the next shot the better your score will potentially be. Curly doesn't have to mean in the woods; it just means missing the fairway.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My local course has 12 holes where I hit driver. My average would be 8-9 fairways hit per round with my best at 11 average driving distance 230-240m.

If you're hitting that many fairways AND truly averaging 250 to 275 yards (converting from meters), you're both plenty long and more than straight enough.  The goal, as has been said before, its long and "straight enough".  Long and in the woods, long and OB, long and in the water, those are bad.  Long and in the light rough is just fine.  You don't need to be pinpoint accurate with your driver, just accurate enough to be consistently in play.  This might be long and wavy, but not curly.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Is it too much to be long and straight? That's what I want.

Currently, I'm long and curly so I've gotten used to hitting punch shots through the trees. I can be long and straight but not consistently.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Lost more matches to those who hit it short and straight (Hey Wahoo, I am talking to you!!!) as they often have "higher handicaps" but shoot lights out around the green...

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

OK a definition of short needs to be included.. as does long and curly... If short is 230.. and Long is 250.. I'll take short, if Long now becomes 320, and curly means 20 yds right or left... Long and curly.. But is all subject to definitions... 

I'd love to hit it about 250 and consistently only have it move 20 ish Rt or Lt.. that will make most par 5's reachable in 2 and leave me short irons into most par 4's... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I prefer straight but would be happy with known curly and long. The two way miss is horrible

Strokes gained research has shown that the shorter the club you play on the next shot the better your score will potentially be. Curly doesn't have to mean in the woods; it just means missing the fairway.

For some of us, anything curly means that it is in the woods. It has to be straight. It just means that you have to get comfortable hitting 6, 7, and 8 irons into some greens.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Obviously, it depends on the course. I'm short and straight which works for me most everywhere. However, at the wide open courses out here in my area, I wish I were longer and I could accept a little curlier.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'll pick long and curly all day long.  It's much easier to teach strait than it is to teach long.  A long hitter can dial back and learn to hit it straighter, and still be long.

A short hitter is going to have a very hard time picking up 50 yards.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'll pick long and curly all day long.  It's much easier to teach strait than it is to teach long.  A long hitter can dial back and learn to hit it straighter, and still be long.

A short hitter is going to have a very hard time picking up 50 yards.

When you're 70, you don't get to pick and choose.   :D

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I play long and intermittently curly.

The one advantage I have over most guys in my group is not having to worry about obstacles in the landing zone, fairway bunkers, water hazards, well placed trees, pinched in fairway, etc.

Most courses I play are wide open which lets me take a rip at the ball without fear of getting into trouble. Put me on a tight and narrow course and I will leave the driver in the bag and go for straight.

Short and curly with a draw. My long ball is long gone

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

When you're 70, you don't get to pick and choose. :D

I'm 38 and I don't get to choose

But given the option that's what I'd pick

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I don't think I could say it any better than Dave.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I would say I'm medium plus and straight. Given the high end of what we are discussing as long at 250-260, I average like 235-245, but if I catch one I'm long or past long. Also very straight, which is nice.

I used to be long and curly, but I've dialed back some of that speed for accuracy.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Archived