TESTERS WANTED! ×

Where do you stand?

Kor.A.Door

I was thinking of this last week when I was tending the flag. I stood on the right side of the flag, but then one of the guys said I should stand on the left side of the flag, and I thought to myself why? I am really not sure so...

How do you determine which side of the flag to stand on when you are tending the flag for someone?

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

You stand on the low side of the break. If it's a right to left break... You will stand on the right side of the hole ... the players left side of the hole.

The idea is to not stand in the line of sight of the thru line, either at the apex of the break or directly behind the hole on a straight putt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I hold the flag with my right hand so I'm to the left by default. It's the only way I can guarantee I'll get it out of the hole without jacking up my buddy's putt

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Yup that's what I've been told. Low side mindful of shadow.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

If I'm tending for my partner in a team event then always up on the high side to give him something to look at. If during stroke play or tending for an opponent then always down on the low side opposite the break. Of course if there are other putts with lines anywhere near where I'll be standing then as far away from those lines as possible so as not to mess up their lines.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I was taught to stand on the low side of the break unless it caused my shadow to become an issue.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yup. Low side makes sense. I'm gonna make a mental note and add that to my etiquette behavior from now on.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Depends on the sun and the slope. Don't want to be casting shadows, or standing on 2nd putt line.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Interesting question. Never really gave it much thought. At the same time I've never tended the flag for anyone. Someone has asked me to leave it in while they lined their putt up, but removed it once they were set.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I was thinking of this last week when I was tending the flag. I stood on the right side of the flag, but then one of the guys said I should stand on the left side of the flag, and I thought to myself why? I am really not sure so...

How do you determine which side of the flag to stand on when you are tending the flag for someone?

I stand wherever I won't cast a shadow over the hole and also where I'm not in someone's line

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

You stand on the low side of the break. If it's a right to left break... You will stand on the right side of the hole ... the players left side of the hole.

The idea is to not stand in the line of sight of the thru line, either at the apex of the break or directly behind the hole on a straight putt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's what i did, then he told me to stand on the other side, and I was thinking, it was a right to left putt so I stood on the right side like you said, but he was very stern and said I should stand on the left side.

Shadows should also be monitored. I always have just tried to stay away from the line of the putt, but he told me to stand in the line of the putt, I was a little confused. He's a good guy, I'll ask him next time I see him at the putting green.

That's what i did, then he told me to stand on the other side, and I was thinking, it was a right to left putt so I stood on the right side like you said, but he was very stern and said I should stand on the left side.

That's probably his personal preference based on the way the putt broke.  Either that or he is a complete moron & doesn't know.

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I stand low side when detectable. When not, I make sure to stand to the side where my shadow is not cast across the hole.

Yep, pretty much this. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Depends on the line, where the sun is, if the hole is cut close to the edge of the green, etc. Most of the time I position myself to not cast a shadow on the line.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I agree that it all depends. I've never had someone say something to me about where I stood so that one person may be very particular.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It wasn't even him that was putting, but your probably right, he may be very particular on it.

At the higher levels of competition, generally the player putting is most concerned with fresh footprints in their thru line. Referenced earlier in this thread, the thru line (on a breaking putt) is actually the area beyond the hole when a well judged putt with pace to spare fails to find the cup and meanders "thru" to the low side of the hole. Putts long enough to require a tend of the flagstick are most likely to end up on the low side of the hole and subsequently make that a less than ideal position to create fresh depressions in the putting surface. Subsequently, unless a severe slope around the hole requires a putt to approach sideways with dead weight speed, the high side will typically be the best place to stand.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I stand low side when detectable. When not, I make sure to stand to the side where my shadow is not cast across the hole.

A lot it guys forget about the shadows across the hole or along putt line.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

As a caddy it was most important to be aware of the shadows. Only the up tight scratch players and big money matches/ club championships was I ever told to stand elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

This reminds me of an incident a few years ago in a section PGA Open event. I was paired with a younger amateur and an older Pro. The pro was locally semifamous as he had been on the Big Break and was a good player in the section for many years, but was definitely surly. On the 2nd hole he said to the young guy "watch the thru line." The kid gave me a quizzical look and I told him 'nobody here is wearing spikes and the greens are rock hard. Don't worry about it.' A few holes and a couple bogies later the old pro said to the kid "watch the g**damn thru line." I said to him "he doesn't know what you're talking about". The old pro proceeds to instruct him in thru line etiquette and finished it off by saying "Curtis Strange always jumped all over his playing partners if they stepped in his thru line." I responded, "well they all wore spikes back then and anyway Curtis was an a**hole too." The old pro didn't speak the rest of the round. He didn't shake my hand afterwards either but I did see him jawing at one of the tournament organizers. The guy gave me a little grin and I've always been treated very well by the section staff since then.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

At the higher levels of competition, generally the player putting is most concerned with fresh footprints in their thru line. Referenced earlier in this thread, the thru line (on a breaking putt) is actually the area beyond the hole when a well judged putt with pace to spare fails to find the cup and meanders "thru" to the low side of the hole. Putts long enough to require a tend of the flagstick are most likely to end up on the low side of the hole and subsequently make that a less than ideal position to create fresh depressions in the putting surface. Subsequently, unless a severe slope around the hole requires a putt to approach sideways with dead weight speed, the high side will typically be the best place to stand.

I agree.  I don't play at those levels of competition, but mindful of shadows I will stand on the high side.  Our greens are quite firm so footprints are not much of an issue unless it's first thing in the morning after irrigation all night.  If the green has seeable break, there is less likely to be a thru line on the high side.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It had never even occurred to me to stand on a low or high side particularly. I have only ever considered two things: 1) my shadow, and 2) other people's putting line.

Like others I thought it was to avoid creating a shadow across the putting line.   I'm just glad I can still stand.   On my last visit, I asked my doctors-how do I stand.   They said that is what they are still trying to figure out.

This reminds me of an incident a few years ago in a section PGA Open event. I was paired with a younger amateur and an older Pro. The pro was locally semifamous as he had been on the Big Break and was a good player in the section for many years, but was definitely surly. On the 2nd hole he said to the young guy "watch the thru line." The kid gave me a quizzical look and I told him 'nobody here is wearing spikes and the greens are rock hard. Don't worry about it.' A few holes and a couple bogies later the old pro said to the kid "watch the g**damn thru line." I said to him "he doesn't know what you're talking about". The old pro proceeds to instruct him in thru line etiquette and finished it off by saying "Curtis Strange always jumped all over his playing partners if they stepped in his thru line." I responded, "well they all wore spikes back then and anyway Curtis was an a**hole too." The old pro didn't speak the rest of the round. He didn't shake my hand afterwards either but I did see him jawing at one of the tournament organizers. The guy gave me a little grin and I've always been treated very well by the section staff since then.

I love Happy Endings, good job

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I agree. Was always taught to stand on the high side. Thru line being the reason.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x