Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Injury Thread

STUDque

Speaking of injuries, a progress report for me and my knee replacement.  It's been 10 days since surgery and I"m still feeling significant pain trying to bend the knee.  My best, as of Friday PT, was 88 degrees, which is the same as I achieved Wednesday.  I'll see the PA on Tuesday to have the bandage removed (along with stitches/staples or whatever is holding me together) and evaluation.  In comparison to the last time, I feel like I'm not making as good of progress, but that could be jaded thinking.  Anyway, still spending most of my time with leg elevated (meaning bed) and minimizing sitting in chairs per the therapists orders.  Mainly, I'm just frustrated and looking forward to getting better motion with the knee flex.  Seems like I should be breaking through any day now, but it isn't fast enough for me!  🙂  Enjoy your games guys!  Missing mine! 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

That knee replacement is big deal. I've known a few like yourself... but they recovered. Although a little slow it seemed. From what I have seen it's all in the therapy afterwards. The ones I thought recovered fastest and best worked hard. The ones that didn't were slower to rebound and in my opinion didn't do as well overall.

Easy for me to say but try your best to stick with the therapy and rehab exercises when you start; as much as possible. Best of luck!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That's completely true.  My other knee was replaced 4 years ago and I'm at the same physical therapist that I used for that one.  I am working hard, but it just seems to be stuck at the current level.  I know it will break through at some point.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

That's completely true.  My other knee was replaced 4 years ago and I'm at the same physical therapist that I used for that one.  I am working hard, but it just seems to be stuck at the current level.  I know it will break through at some point.

Hang in there Buddy

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 11:11 AM, Berg Ryman said:

Went to urgent care yesterday for a toenail and toe bruise on my big ol' toe after dropping a box on my foot. Turns out, minimal fracture in my toe, like a tiny tiny fracture besides the nail bed damage. On antibiotics for 7 days to try to avoid infection and elevations and ointment. Such is life. Easy to walk on, just a touch tender when putting on socks and what not.

Random update, toenail fell off today. Getting a good soak tomorrow and to have this happen right before sandal season... Also have a slight neck sprain from a violent coughing fit. A comedy of errors.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

This thread, along with the “got troubles?” Thread always make me realize that I don’t have it all that bad. I guess whoever dies first will win these two threads...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Another knee update:  Post 4 weeks of surgery tomorrow.  Walking without any means of outside support/assist without significant issues -- a bit of a limp, but that should improve with time.  Still feeling some pain in the thighs and shin, as well as the joint itself, although the pain isn't such that I will be continuing with medication.  Driving again -- my car, not my Taylor Made.  Friday, I achieved 120 degree bend on the wall slide, lifting 100 lbs with both legs in leg press and 60 lbs with the single leg (repaired knee).  Actually was able to get my own sock on today ... for those of you who have never gone through a total knee replacement, this is a big deal!  LOL.  

Went out on the course yesterday and today, riding around in the cart visiting with the folks playing (Pairs tournament (couples), so most of the club was out doing shotgun starts).  After 2 hours of in cart and some walking around the greens, I'd had enough fun for one day.

Should be able to start chipping and putting within the next 2 weeks, hopefully.

On the plus side, my game seems to have vastly improved in my mind.  🙂

Another knee update:  Post 4 weeks of surgery tomorrow.  Walking without any means of outside support/assist without significant issues -- a bit of a limp, but that should improve with time.  Still feeling some pain in the thighs and shin, as well as the joint itself, although the pain isn't such that I will be continuing with medication.  Driving again -- my car, not my Taylor Made.  Friday, I achieved 120 degree bend on the wall slide, lifting 100 lbs with both legs in leg press and 60 lbs with the single leg (repaired knee).  Actually was able to get my own sock on today ... for those of you who have never gone through a total knee replacement, this is a big deal!  LOL.  
Went out on the course yesterday and today, riding around in the cart visiting with the folks playing (Pairs tournament (couples), so most of the club was out doing shotgun starts).  After 2 hours of in cart and some walking around the greens, I'd had enough fun for one day.
Should be able to start chipping and putting within the next 2 weeks, hopefully.
On the plus side, my game seems to have vastly improved in my mind. 

I’ve been there brother and I feel your pain. Glad you are making progress and hang in there!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 1 month later...

Not me but my wife. She was trying to gracefully exit the pool and pretty much fell off the ladder...broke her right little toe.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

7 hours ago, MattF said:

Not me but my wife. She was trying to gracefully exit the pool and pretty much fell off the ladder...broke her right little toe.

UPDATE: She also broke her fibula. She's now sporting a walking brace and crutches. She'll be seeing an orthopaedic surgeon some time this week.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

UPDATE: She also broke her fibula. She's now sporting a walking brace and crutches. She'll be seeing an orthopaedic surgeon some time this week.

I can’t “like” this. That’s terrible, hope she gets treatment soon. Tell her we’re all pulling for her speedy recovery.

Rick

Left Hand, 

12 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Good thing it wasn't the fibula also or it would be a real cast.

I'm guessing you mean tibia mate, but yeah. Looks like her pool season is over and I'll be working on making a set of stairs and a small platform for the pool.

In the bag:

Bag: 

• 6 months later...

Hey Guys Ive been looking for a place to ask this question and I think I finally found it.. Has anyone had any experience with Pirformis Syndrome? Been having this pain in the ass since October. I think it started after hitting 200 golf balls when I was testing the Wilson D7 irons I was lucky(unlucky 🙂 ) enough to win here. Ive never had any back or any other major injuries and for that Im grateful. But this persistent pain in my right cheek has me stumped. When I stop doing my treadmill and other excercises it calms down but once I start slowly walking on treadmill it occurs again. Been surfing youtube and been trying specific excercises for that area and have gone to massage therapy but still no luck.. Any help would be appreciated!

4 hours ago, Steve2100 said:

Hey Guys Ive been looking for a place to ask this question and I think I finally found it.. Has anyone had any experience with Pirformis Syndrome? Been having this pain in the ass since October. I think it started after hitting 200 golf balls when I was testing the Wilson D7 irons I was lucky(unlucky 🙂 ) enough to win here. Ive never had any back or any other major injuries and for that Im grateful. But this persistent pain in my right cheek has me stumped. When I stop doing my treadmill and other excercises it calms down but once I start slowly walking on treadmill it occurs again. Been surfing youtube and been trying specific excercises for that area and have gone to massage therapy but still no luck.. Any help would be appreciated!

I had to Google what it was. Honestly, your local GP is your best first stop. You may also consider consulting a chiropractor.

In the bag:

Bag: 

• 3 months later...

No, did not stop my interest in Golf or this forum. Rather my body decided not to want to play

I was forced to stop golf 8 hours after my last 18. For reasons still neither fully explained or understood, my body decided to go from a slightly higher blood pressure to a very low one.  Not related in any way to Covid16.

As a result, balance was not possible and for over a 4 week period I cold not stand without getting very dizzy, even moving my lower body was quite the challenge. 

A combination of re-doing my medications from before to now have me well on the way. Therapy 3x a week, combibnations with  new drugs and my own stubbornness have me standing, no dizziness, ability to work on some mild golf related exercises. As compared to a week earlier, I am a new person.  

All medical indications, including my cardiologist, are pointing to a more than possible return to golfing by Labor Day. No promises just doable.

I won't give weekly updates, but, thanks for understanding!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

1 hour ago, DrMJG said:

No, did not stop my interest in Golf or this forum. Rather my body decided not to want to play

I was forced to stop golf 8 hours after my last 18. For reasons still neither fully explained or understood, my body decided to go from a slightly higher blood pressure to a very low one.  Not related in any way to Covid16.

As a result, balance was not possible and for over a 4 week period I cold not stand without getting very dizzy, even moving my lower body was quite the challenge. 

A combination of re-doing my medications from before to now have me well on the way. Therapy 3x a week, combibnations with  new drugs and my own stubbornness have me standing, no dizziness, ability to work on some mild golf related exercises. As compared to a week earlier, I am a new person.  

All medical indications, including my cardiologist, are pointing to a more than possible return to golfing by Labor Day. No promises just doable.

Sounds like you have been through more than a rough patch.  Hope they figure it out and get you back on the course. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, DrMJG said:

I'm definitely sorry to hear about the ordeal you've been going through, but it sounds like you're back on the right track. I hope you get better soon and can be out enjoying golf before too long. 

Sorry to hear about your issue. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Rick

Left Hand, 

13 hours ago, DrMJG said:

I've been wondering what happened to you.  I thought it had something to do with the 100º heat.

Sorry to hear about that; take it easy.  We will be waiting to hear about your return when you are ready.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I’m still nursing my stupid right wrist. Keeping it braced as much as I can, soaking it in hot water every day, trying not to use it. The tendon sheath has to grow back before I can move forward and start pt.

On the plus side I’m getting pretty good at swinging with just my lead left, and have improved my understanding of the swing in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

• 1 month later...

First let me start off by saying I am fine now. So here's the long story which took 2 years.

I had a kidney stone that I could not pass. Went to the urologist and he sent me for a CT scan. Found a growth on my kidney the size of a golf ball. He does surgery to remove the stone. Sends me to a specialist for the kidney. Turns out to be kidney cancer and  so starts the fight with the insurance company to cover the operation. In the meantime I go on a business trip and upon my return my 85 pound yellow lab was so excited to see me he jumped up on me and his paw went under my rib cage and knocked my breath away. Didn't think much of it. Went to bed and woke up a few hours later not feeling well. Tried to go to the bathroom and almost passed out on the way. Off to the hospital where they discovered that my spleen tore and I was bleeding out and almost died. So into ICU then to the  operating room to have my spleen removed. Two weeks into healing and then got approval  for the kidney operation. The next week  right back  in the hospital to have 1/2 my kidney removed. 

Like I mentioned I'm fine now. It took almost 6 months to play golf at an acceptable level. All I was allowed to do was chip and putt for a few months so that really helped my game. My handicap was around a 7 then and over the last year and a half got it down to my current 2.4.

Pretty expensive  way to drop my handicap, I dont recommended doing  it that way. I would say to just practice your chipping and putting.😊 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

First let me start off by saying I am fine now. So here's the long story which took 2 years.
I had a kidney stone that I could not pass. Went to the urologist and he sent me for a CT scan. Found a growth on my kidney the size of a golf ball. He does surgery to remove the stone. Sends me to a specialist for the kidney. Turns out to be kidney cancer and  so starts the fight with the insurance company to cover the operation. In the meantime I go on a business trip and upon my return my 85 pound yellow lab was so excited to see me he jumped up on me and his paw went under my rib cage and knocked my breath away. Didn't think much of it. Went to bed and woke up a few hours later not feeling well. Tried to go to the bathroom and almost passed out on the way. Off to the hospital where they discovered that my spleen tore and I was bleeding out and almost died. So into ICU then to the  operating room to have my spleen removed. Two weeks into healing and then got approval  for the kidney operation. The next week  right back  in the hospital to have 1/2 my kidney removed. 
Like I mentioned I'm fine now. It took almost 6 months to play golf at an acceptable level. All I was allowed to do was chip and putt for a few months so that really helped my game. My handicap was around a 7 then and over the last year and a half got it down to my current 2.4.
Pretty expensive  way to drop my handicap, I dont recommended doing  it that way. I would say to just practice your chipping and putting. 

WOW! Happy to hear you’re doing OK and back out again

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

I have a new ... problem. I have developed impingement in my right shoulder. It doesn't affect the golf swing very much, but it sure does does hinder raising a cup of coffee to my face...lol.

Oh, one of those new pains we get as we get "older".  Seems like I got a new one every year starting about your age.

Drink coffee left handed.  You're welcome.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, silver & black said:

I have a new ... problem. I have developed impingement in my right shoulder. It doesn't affect the golf swing very much, but it sure does does hinder raising a cup of coffee to my face...lol.

Get it checked out, it may be something that you get sorted out easily if you get it early. Hope it comes good son

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

On 7/6/2020 at 2:57 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Pretty expensive  way to drop my handicap, I dont recommended doing  it that way. I would say to just practice your chipping and putting.😊 

Great that you've healed and good use of your down time too!!

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0