GolfSpy STUDque

Injury Thread

I know one exists but I'm too out of it to search. Bad news- Shoulder pain that would not respond to cortisone injections or therapy. Good news was no rotator cuff damage! Large bone spur was pressing on the rotator cuff when I raised my arm and causing all sorts of pain. Doc shaved that down and told my wife he cleaned up the labrum too. Said joint showed lots of use but rotator cuff looked good. Should be bionic man by mid March! Day 1 post op is awfully painful though. Nerve block has worn off so today is a full dose of hydrocodone, try not to move and hope to sleep. Really optimistic about an early recovery and full, pain free seasonattachicon.gifIMG_20180123_064730.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Glad your Doc fixed that shoulder and I predict you will have one heck of a fun golfing season for 2018!  

• Like 3

Glad your Doc fixed that shoulder and I predict you will have one heck of a fun golfing season for 2018!

OG you're so right. At 48 I've never been more excited about an upcoming season and getting back to work on my game

• Like 2

Checking in... how you doing Gaussman?

Had my mri today. I just don't understand. The swing is pain free, but any outward and upward motion will drop me like a fly.

• Like 1

Had my mri today. I just don't understand. The swing is pain free, but any outward and upward motion will drop me like a fly.

The MRI will tell the tale . Let's hope it's something minor that doesn't require surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I know you've more than likely been over this, Shanks, but that's exactly how it was when my rotator cuff (s) went out.

• Like 1

I know you've more than likely been over this, Shanks, but that's exactly how it was when my rotator cuff (s) went out.

Of course, right when I get my speed back.

• Like 1

Yup. Me too. Took me out for half a season then the other one went.

No likey. I only have 1/2 a season.

Let's see, day 3 post op. Took a shower, so that's progress. Rather foolishly thought I would be done with pain meds by now. I've only had 1 pill all day so I feel like I'm way ahead of the curve there but I'm paying for it in discomfort. I want to get up and move around but moving around is very painful. If I can stay down and still that is what they want from me until I go back to the doc next week but sitting still is not my strong suit.

So for a few more days my prescription is sling, ice, and sit in the recliner. Doesn't sound too difficult does it?

• Like 2

Let's see, day 3 post op. Took a shower, so that's progress. Rather foolishly thought I would be done with pain meds by now. I've only had 1 pill all day so I feel like I'm way ahead of the curve there but I'm paying for it in discomfort. I want to get up and move around but moving around is very painful. If I can stay down and still that is what they want from me until I go back to the doc next week but sitting still is not my strong suit.

So for a few more days my prescription is sling, ice, and sit in the recliner. Doesn't sound too difficult does it?

Keep us posted. At least Tiger is playing golf so there is a little entertainment for you.

• Like 3

Don't understand the bone spurs mine was cleared up with PT. Happy you got yours repaired, sometimes they have to get in there and clean everything up. Good luck and don't rush it.

• Like 1

Don't understand the bone spurs mine was cleared up with PT. Happy you got yours repaired, sometimes they have to get in there and clean everything up. Good luck and don't rush it.

That's interesting to me that PT helped yours. My doc told me that the spur was narrowing the space between rotator cuff tendons and the bone. Whenever I moved the shoulder joint up or back that space disappeared entirely and the bone spur pressed against the rotator cuff. If we didn't get rid of the spur it would eventually start to saw through the rotator cuff and then you're looking at a diff operation and very different rehab timeline. I'm probably oversimplifying and it's always a matter of degrees anyway but we were actually getting more pain and inflammation from working the joint in PT. At least we tried before deciding on surgical option.

• Like 2

That's interesting to me that PT helped yours. My doc told me that the spur was narrowing the space between rotator cuff tendons and the bone. Whenever I moved the shoulder joint up or back that space disappeared entirely and the bone spur pressed against the rotator cuff. If we didn't get rid of the spur it would eventually start to saw through the rotator cuff and then you're looking at a diff operation and very different rehab timeline. I'm probably oversimplifying and it's always a matter of degrees anyway but we were actually getting more pain and inflammation from working the joint in PT. At least we tried before deciding on surgical option.

My Doc said we are going to go thru the “process” drugs, PT and absolute last resort surgery. I had low expectations for PT but after a while doing the rehab and exercises at home the shoulder began to get better. I'd say it's 90%. I still do the exercises and occasionally a minor pain but nothing like I had. I'm happy, don't like sharp instruments .

My Doc said we are going to go thru the “process” drugs, PT and absolute last resort surgery. I had low expectations for PT but after a while doing the rehab and exercises at home the shoulder began to get better. I'd say it's 90%. I still do the exercises and occasionally a minor pain but nothing like I had. I'm happy, don't like sharp instruments .

Yeah was my last choice too. I was pulling hard for therapy to be the winner!

• Like 1

Yeah was my last choice too. I was pulling hard for therapy to be the winner!

Well it's done now just leter heal up and you'll be fine

Hey Gaussman hows the recovery going?

Hey Gaussman hows the recovery going?

Hey Shank, 7 weeks post op and doing well thanks. Still a lot of discomfort but pretty full range of motion. Lot of PT, lot of home exercises and still icing, but already making swings daily in the basement and have hit a few balls at indoor range. If it keeps going this way I feel like I'm going to be 100% full speed soon. The pain probably won't go away completely for awhile, but it's tolerable so no big deal.

What's your prognosis?

• Like 7

Hey Shank, 7 weeks post op and doing well thanks. Still a lot of discomfort but pretty full range of motion. Lot of PT, lot of home exercises and still icing, but already making swings daily in the basement and have hit a few balls at indoor range. If it keeps going this way I feel like I'm going to be 100% full speed soon. The pain probably won't go away completely for awhile, but it's tolerable so no big deal.

What's your prognosis?

Surgery Monday at 0945. The surgeon pretty much said exactly what yours did. Bone spurs like a saw. Not looking forward to the recovery time, but it will nice to not wake up at random times with my arm on fire.

• Like 2