Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Injury Thread

STUDque

31 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

That’ll be good. From what I have heard knee replacements is a fairly smooth process compared to 20 years ago. 

That’s what I understand also.  I won’t be staying overnight.  I don’t have any serious medical issues besides knee's.  

Doc does 6-8 per week and in his 22nd year and has the latest equipment so “Getter Done”.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Yup, getting there.

Rick

Left Hand, 

7 hours ago, Lacassem said:

That’ll be good. From what I have heard knee replacements is a fairly smooth process compared to 20 years ago. 

While playing in Phoenix one January about 10 years ago, I played with a guy that had both knees done at the same time.  He was only about 3 months from surgery and playing pretty well.

My wife and I each had one done 7-8 years ago and they went pretty smooth.  I went to the ortho in late December and I might be having the other one done maybe this fall or next.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

While playing in Phoenix one January about 10 years ago, I played with a guy that had both knees done at the same time.  He was only about 3 months from surgery and playing pretty well.

My wife and I each had one done 7-8 years ago and they went pretty smooth.  I went to the ortho in late December and I might be having the other one done maybe this fall or next.

A friend of mine here got both his knees done same time but he’s early 60’s.  He was able to get both due to age and decent shape.  They will not do 2 same time when you’re over 75. 
BTW he’s playing really well since the operation!  

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 4/22/2022 at 10:17 PM, Rickp said:

Visit with Orthopedic Doc this afternoon and have a June 2nd date for right knee replacement.

After that’s done we’ll setup left knee date with a grand finale of left elbow probably early next year.  
Yea!!!

Good luck with it.  As I have mentioned on here before. I had both done at the same time 9 years ago—-man is it really been that long—and it’s the best decision I made.   I only wanted one hospitalization and one rehab.   

i will be the first of what I’m sure will be many to say, “Don’t cheat or skip ANY rehab” it is the best thing you can do for long term success of the surgery.   I worked my A$$ off during it and was swinging a golf club 10 weeks later and played 2 months after that. I actually could have played sooner if it wasn’t the middle of winter when I graduated rehab at that 10 week mark.  

But I was fully self sufficient about 2-3 weeks after surgery. I drove myself and walked into my surgeons office without crutches or a cane for my 4 week follow-up.  He was so thrilled he hugged me.  He said he had read the rehab reports but didn’t expect to see this!!

So all that said  stick to it and you’ll be walking rounds of golf before you know it! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Good luck with it.  As I have mentioned on here before. I had both done at the same time 9 years ago—-man is it really been that long—and it’s the best decision I made.   I only wanted one hospitalization and one rehab.   

i will be the first of what I’m sure will be many to say, “Don’t cheat or skip ANY rehab” it is the best thing you can do for long term success of the surgery.   I worked my A$$ off during it and was swinging a golf club 10 weeks later and played 2 months after that. I actually could have played sooner if it wasn’t the middle of winter when I graduated rehab at that 10 week mark.  

But I was fully self sufficient about 2-3 weeks after surgery. I drove myself and walked into my surgeons office without crutches or a cane for my 4 week follow-up.  He was so thrilled he hugged me.  He said he had read the rehab reports but didn’t expect to see this!!

So all that said  stick to it and you’ll be walking rounds of golf before you know it! 

I'll second the don't skip any rehabs... do exactly what they say.  It hurts, but it hurts worse later if you don't do rehab correctly.

My boss had his knee replaced 3 months before I did mine.  He was such a wuss; it hurt too much, and he played football for UNLV.  Well, a year later he had a second surgery to remove scar tissue to lessen the pain and get better range of motion.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

13 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thanks, definitely know about the Rehab.  Did all the requirement + in my shoulder Rehab and it’s been awesome. I’m not a candidate for both but that’s OK, project for next summer.  
In my 4some this morning 2 of the 3 guys have knee replacements.  In a couple months it’ll be 3 of 4.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 4/22/2022 at 10:17 PM, Rickp said:

Visit with Orthopedic Doc this afternoon and have a June 2nd date for right knee replacement.

After that’s done we’ll setup left knee date with a grand finale of left elbow probably early next year.  
Yea!!!

I had my right knee replaced and four weeks later behind a plow mule. 😉 Well maybe six.   You're gonna be chasing Momma around the bedroom like a young stud buck. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

I had my right knee replaced and four weeks later behind a plow mule. 😉 Well maybe six.   You're gonna be chasing Momma around the bedroom like a young stud buck. 

Unmmm, maybe not…….  
Finally getting it done!!!!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

18 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I'll second the don't skip any rehabs... do exactly what they say.  It hurts, but it hurts worse later if you don't do rehab correctly.

My boss had his knee replaced 3 months before I did mine.  He was such a wuss; it hurt too much, and he played football for UNLV.  Well, a year later he had a second surgery to remove scar tissue to lessen the pain and get better range of motion.  

It helped my case that my in patient rehab tech was a very cute, very sweet young woman from Texas, with the accent and all.  No way I was going to let her think I was a wimp...While in the rehab center (man that sounds bad..ha) I went three times a day for 45 minutes each time.   A few times, when it was done, I said "Is that all you got, I thought that was  just the wamr up"  🙂  See'd laugh and say, "ok Cowboy, you up to two more sets, it looked like you were feeling it a bit to me"    But besides the fun, she was absolutely fantastic, I mean I don't think I could have had such good results if not for her.   After I left the in patient part (10 days) I continued for 3 times a week in outside PT at the same place.   A week or so later she moved back to Texas.  The rest of the staff was great, but it just wasn't the same.

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

It helped my case that my in patient rehab tech was a very cute, very sweet young woman from Texas, with the accent and all.  No way I was going to let her think I was a wimp...While in the rehab center (man that sounds bad..ha) I went three times a day for 45 minutes each time.   A few times, when it was done, I said "Is that all you got, I thought that was  just the wamr up"  🙂  See'd laugh and say, "ok Cowboy, you up to two more sets, it looked like you were feeling it a bit to me"    But besides the fun, she was absolutely fantastic, I mean I don't think I could have had such good results if not for her.   After I left the in patient part (10 days) I continued for 3 times a week in outside PT at the same place.   A week or so later she moved back to Texas.  The rest of the staff was great, but it just wasn't the same.

Sounds like a great reason for Rehab, even for a Ole Fart!!😜

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You were in patient for 10 days????  I left the next day after a bowel movement and a test where I had to negotiate stairs.  I lived about 10 blocks from the orthopedic rehab center and went 3 times a week.  I also had a machine that I put my leg into and it moved my knee up and down during the night while I (sorta) slept... not a back sleeper!!  I've heard they don't use that anymore!!

15 hours ago, Kenny B said:

You were in patient for 10 days????  I left the next day after a bowel movement and a test where I had to negotiate stairs.  I lived about 10 blocks from the orthopedic rehab center and went 3 times a week.  I also had a machine that I put my leg into and it moved my knee up and down during the night while I (sorta) slept... not a back sleeper!!  I've heard they don't use that anymore!!

Because I had both done on the same day, they required I do in patient for two weeks, but I had progressed far enough they let me go after 10.  Probably would have been 7, but that was a Friday and they had to wait for my Dr. to come in on Monday to sign off on the release. 

But yeah, the actual hospital I was in 3 days-1 day longer than they expected, due to my blood counts being low, they wanted to get those up before they discharged me.  The In Patient PT as litteraly adjancent to the hospital so they just moved me over there for the 10 days. 

59 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Because I had both done on the same day, they required I do in patient for two weeks, but I had progressed far enough they let me go after 10.  Probably would have been 7, but that was a Friday and they had to wait for my Dr. to come in on Monday to sign off on the release. 

But yeah, the actual hospital I was in 3 days-1 day longer than they expected, due to my blood counts being low, they wanted to get those up before they discharged me.  The In Patient PT as litteraly adjancent to the hospital so they just moved me over there for the 10 days. 

I’ll do 1at a time, 10 -14 days in a medical facility would drive me but.  Definitely more patient than me ….

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

I’ll do 1at a time, 10 -14 days in a medical facility would drive me but.  Definitely more patient than me ….

Yeah, he said he doesn't do both at the same time on most people, but I was young enough 55 at the time, and he felt confident I would be dedicated enough to the rehab that he was ok doing both.  I wanted one hospitalization and one rehab.  I didn't want to go through it again in 6 months.

Here's an article that appeared on Plugged In Golf, contributed by a sports therapist about Golfer's Elbow (yess real condition affecting the tendons on the opposite side vs tennis elbow) ...

https://pluggedingolf.com/the-complete-guide-to-golfers-elbow/

Looks like some useful info on exercises, etc.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Here's an article that appeared on Plugged In Golf, contributed by a sports therapist about Golfer's Elbow (yess real condition affecting the tendons on the opposite side vs tennis elbow) ...

https://pluggedingolf.com/the-complete-guide-to-golfers-elbow/

Looks like some useful info on exercises, etc.

Sooooo, you have to have muscles for the tendons to connect to??  😂

32 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Sooooo, you have to have muscles for the tendons to connect to??  😂

Of course because they're going to be sore and hurting also!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Currently recovering from a tore planter fascia on my right food. This happen about 3 weeks ago at the start of a tournament round on the 2nd hole while stepping out of a bunker i heard a pop. I limp my way thru the rest of the round (if it was my left , i would had to withdrawal.

Orthopedic said to wear the boot for the next 4-6 weeks. And that its a slow healing injury  

Of course i go play 2 weeks later wrapped foot tightly and it was fine for the most part 

But i stop wearing the boot cause it was feeling better and i must it tweak it..now it hurst again..

So back to the boot..damn the madness

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

• 2 weeks later...

So did something stupid yesterday and stuck my right hand in the electric hedge trimmer. I didn't lose any parts, but it was an ER visit and 5 stitches in my right index finger. So that's 7-10 days till they can come out. The good news is that they're most concerned about infection than any long term damage. I got a tetanus shot and antibiotics. Guess I can putt in the basement for the next week or so.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Not an injury .. yet? .. but getting a little nervous about the state of my left shoulder and also right hip...

Had the left hip replaced a few years ago and after a lotta PT and exercises, and time, it's good again. At that time the Ortho had said I'll probably be back for the right side...

Just wanna make it thru this season whole and able to swing 🤞🤞🤞

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

32 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

"It's all in the hips."  -  Chubbs  😂

Oh wait... wrong thread!  

47 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Not an injury .. yet? .. but getting a little nervous about the state of my left shoulder and also right hip...

Had the left hip replaced a few years ago and after a lotta PT and exercises, and time, it's good again. At that time the Ortho had said I'll probably be back for the right side...

I hope you can make it through the season without having any problems with either one. I'm hoping to hear good things coming from your lessons. 

50 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Hope the hip holds up! Hopefully you won’t need an cortisone injection to get you through the year. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

18 hours ago, Kenny B said:

"It's all in the hips."  -  Chubbs  

"Just puuush the ball into the hole."

18 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I hope you can make it through the season without having any problems with either one. I'm hoping to hear good things coming from your lessons. 

Thx! We'll see... Usually everything's 'ok' enough but recently been a little achy and guess I just had to vent!

18 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Hope the hip holds up! Hopefully you won’t need an cortisone injection to get you through the year. 

Thx!! Funny was contemplating a trip to the ortho and asking about one. The problem has been these very occasional but very sharp spasms.

About year a year prior to the left hip surgery I'd gotten a PRP (platelet rich therapy) injection and that actually helped keep me going for most of that year. Only drawback is that procedure needs a little recovery time.....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

"Just puuush the ball into the hole."

Thx! We'll see... Usually everything's 'ok' enough but recently been a little achy and guess I just had to vent!

Thx!! Funny was contemplating a trip to the ortho and asking about one. The problem has been these very occasional but very sharp spasms.

About year a year prior to the left hip surgery I'd gotten a PRP (platelet rich therapy) injection and that actually helped keep me going for most of that year. Only drawback is that procedure needs a little recovery time.....

Typically I think my clinic asks patient to give it about 2-3 weeks of downtime with some light therapy in between. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Well.. only a few days later, and .. yep I did it.... Except ...

Injured the left hip, the one that was surgically repaired/replaced 4+ years ago. 

Not even a full swing .. just under 100 yd approach from the rough on an uneven lie .. targetward was uphill and the ball was slightly below the feet. Had a stable stance and got the shot off, tho pulled it left of intended line .. turned back to look at grass and check my swing line and POP! went (something?) on the left side...

Seeing the ortho tomorrow .. been meaning to visit anyway as the right hip is starting to bother me 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

3 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Injured the left hip, the one that was surgically repaired/replaced 4+ years ago. 

Not even a full swing .. just under 100 yd approach from the rough on an uneven lie .. targetward was uphill and the ball was slightly below the feet. Had a stable stance and got the shot off, tho pulled it left of intended line .. turned back to look at grass and check my swing line and POP! went (something?) on the left side...

Seeing the ortho tomorrow .. been meaning to visit anyway as the right hip is starting to bother me 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I hope everything is ok. 

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Oh boy, that sucks. Hope it’s nothing major.  Good luck tomorrow.

Rick

Left Hand, 

13 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Oooffff that sucks good luck, the good thing is you needed to go about the other hip so this gave you an excuse.

was working out yesterday before work and felt a slight twinge in my back. Been walking like y’all old farts since and I’m in my early 30’s. Trying to loosen my back up since because I have a golf outing for one of my best friends tomorrow. We are doing a golf day for his bachelor party and I don’t want to not golf.