Injury Thread

STUDque

10 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Anyone have any experience playing through a little golfers elbow that can recommend a good compression brace you wore while playing?  I am experiencing some for the first time...not debilitating but I want to get on top of it before it is.

I've been dealing with golfers elbow for a while, and I've done 2 things to help me (I say me, because it may not work for everyone).  1. I wear compression sleeves that I found on Amazon made by Tough Outfitters...they may not be the best out there, but they do the trick for me, and honestly I only figured out that they helped because it got cooler on the course and one of my playing partners had some in his bag he was willing to let me use.  2. I noticed that I had more pain (mine is in my right elbow) whenever I used my right arm more than my left to bring the club from setup to the top of my back swing...once I stopped doing that a lot of the pain subsided.  NOTE:  Using my right arm as more dominate in the downswing has not caused any elbow aggravation.  Hope that helps 

• Like 3
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Hamstring update; leg is feeling a lot better so i cut back on the Tylenol/aspirin cocktail. Going to play with a bunch of guys at Sawmill tomorrow. I'll be able to give the Cleveland guys an update on the course refurbishment. 

• Like 6

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

50 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

I've been dealing with golfers elbow for a while, and I've done 2 things to help me (I say me, because it may not work for everyone).  1. I wear compression sleeves that I found on Amazon made by Tough Outfitters...they may not be the best out there, but they do the trick for me, and honestly I only figured out that they helped because it got cooler on the course and one of my playing partners had some in his bag he was willing to let me use.  2. I noticed that I had more pain (mine is in my right elbow) whenever I used my right arm more than my left to bring the club from setup to the top of my back swing...once I stopped doing that a lot of the pain subsided.  NOTE:  Using my right arm as more dominate in the downswing has not caused any elbow aggravation.  Hope that helps 

Thanks for this.

Last night I have to admit I was beginning to freak out that I might miss a big chunk of my season, but with icing and a compression sleeve it seems I'll still be in the fight.

Was it odd wearing the sleeve to play or did you find you quickly got used to it?

• Like 2

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Well...About 3.5 weeks ago I did a dumb thing.  I was demonstrating to my outfielders the proper footwork and angles to take when attacking a ball in the gap.  Chased down the ball, one long last step and a massive hyperextension later and I could not put weight on it.  During my demo I nearly blew my knee out. My knee swelled like a balloon.  Stayed that way for about 4-5 days. I am able to bend it with no pain and have even taken some dry swings without any pain. The injury is to my lead knee (left knee as I play right-handed) anyone have any tips on coming back from an injury like this? 

I have a brace that I will be wearing for the foreseeable future, but I am really worried about having to "go after one".  Anyone have any advice? 

• Sad 6

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Posted about this in an elbow tendinitis thread too, but I've basically shut it down and will do nothing but short game practice for the next 2-3 weeks, or however long it takes.

Last Thursday I hit some wedges and drivers at the driving range, mainly to try out a compression sleeve and make sure I could still take a normal full swing.  I felt a twinge in my forearm/elbow but nothing severe.  In hindsight, I probably should have been more concerned with stretching and/or ice after the range, because it was a lot more than a twinge the next day.

Friday was mid-40s and windy, and I swear I felt a bolt of lightning shoot up my arm every time I made contact.  I waited for it to warm up and get a little less severe, but driver and any kind of turf interaction became pretty damn painful.  I would have quit at 9 but it was a team Stableford event so I'd have left everyone hanging.

5 days removed from that, and I've been icing, stretching, using CBD cream, and blasting away twice a day with a massage gun.  I'm much improved but definitely not pain free.  The plan is to get to that "pain free" state and then keep treating if for another week.  Really want to get over this and not lose out on an entire season...

• Sad 4

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

My back has been in decent shape for quite some time, but I tweaked it this weekend when unloading 5000lbs of donated clothing from our band truck. Yesterday it was spasming at work every time I moved in my chair. Been using a heating pad on and off along with some lidocaine for relief, and working from home today to try and keep up treating it so this goes away sooner rather than later. Usually when this happens it's about a week before things feel better, and I don't have the time for that malarkey. 

• Sad 8

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:wilson_staff_small: D200 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

On 5/28/2021 at 8:12 AM, HeathS16 said:

Well...About 3.5 weeks ago I did a dumb thing.  I was demonstrating to my outfielders the proper footwork and angles to take when attacking a ball in the gap.  Chased down the ball, one long last step and a massive hyperextension later and I could not put weight on it.  During my demo I nearly blew my knee out. My knee swelled like a balloon.  Stayed that way for about 4-5 days. I am able to bend it with no pain and have even taken some dry swings without any pain. The injury is to my lead knee (left knee as I play right-handed) anyone have any tips on coming back from an injury like this? 

I have a brace that I will be wearing for the foreseeable future, but I am really worried about having to "go after one".  Anyone have any advice? 

KT Tape Pro... available at Walmart.  Stays on for several days, even showering.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As someone who was formally in the fitness industry and has recently taken up golf I would recommend consistent yoga as the most important exercise for amateur golfers especially. So much out there right now about adding strength and speed, etc but 99% of golfers would experience much more game improvement through a focus on mobility, flexibility, and balance than they would strength focused work. Being able to move through full range of motion would increase club speed for almost everyone and would lead to a significant decrease in overuse injuries. 

• Like 2

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

For the last week or so back spasms have returned.  Oddly they are up at shoulder blade level this time and not as severe as the usual L4, L5 level spasms which would put me on the floor.  I am pretty sure it started because I was up and down doing baseboard at a friends house last weekend.  They subsided enough that I played 18 last evening but came back overnight and I'm back at square 1.   Advil, massage chair and hot tub therapy for me today.

• Sad 4

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, Kenny B said:

KT Tape Pro... available at Walmart.  Stays on for several days, even showering.

I am certainly going to give that a try.  I just got back from a 5 day trip to Branson and it was unbelievably difficult to play with my knee being the way it was.  I felt my left leg flinch everytime I tried to shift my weight during the swing, I could never really get my weight to transfer.  Needless to say I played terribly and came in last in the whole competition. lol 

Thanks for the tip. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, HeathS16 said:

I am certainly going to give that a try.  I just got back from a 5 day trip to Branson and it was unbelievably difficult to play with my knee being the way it was.  I felt my left leg flinch everytime I tried to shift my weight during the swing, I could never really get my weight to transfer.  Needless to say I played terribly and came in last in the whole competition. lol 

Thanks for the tip. 

KT Tape is used by a lot of athletes... Michele Wie had it all over her legs and arms!!  

My wife and I have had a knee replacements; mine left, hers right.  I know the feeling of not getting to my left side!!  My wife uses KT Tape just below her left knee; seems to hold all the right things in place.  It doesn't take much, just one of those strips lasts 3-4 days.  She swears by it; I haven't tried it... I don't want to shave!!!  😂

I hope you find some relief soon.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 hours ago, HeathS16 said:

Thanks for the tip. 

21 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

KT Tape is used by a lot of athletes... Michele Wie had it all over her legs and arms!!  

My wife and I have had a knee replacements; mine left, hers right.  I know the feeling of not getting to my left side!!  My wife uses KT Tape just below her left knee; seems to hold all the right things in place.  It doesn't take much, just one of those strips lasts 3-4 days.  She swears by it; I haven't tried it... I don't want to shave!!!  😂

I hope you find some relief soon.

hate to break it to you, but KT tape is proven ineffective. its perceived results are a placebo effect. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29461139/

@HeathS16 it sounds like you did some tendon/ligament damage and now you’ve got some laxity in your knee. 

strengthening your quad/hamstring/calf will help tighten that connective tissue back up. 

• Like 2

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

33 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

hate to break it to you, but KT tape is proven ineffective. its perceived results are a placebo effect. 

@HeathS16 it sounds like you did some tendon/ligament damage and now you’ve got some laxity in your knee. 

strengthening your quad/hamstring/calf will help tighten that connective tissue back up. 

TBH I am afraid of what I did to it.  I held off getting it looked at so I could go on this trip 🤪 I am going to make an appointment this week and see what the damage is. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

Wife tested; wife approved.

However, maybe more publications are needed...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29525979/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24819349/

• Like 4

Right arm from the elbow up to the shoulder has a combo of pain and numbness. Pinched nerve maybe?

• Sad 5

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

32 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Right arm from the elbow up to the shoulder has a combo of pain and numbness. Pinched nerve maybe?

That's from you punching in your account number buying so much gear! 🤣

• Haha 9

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0

Hybrid: :Sub70: 949X Pro 2 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 minute ago, MattF said:

That's from you punching in your account number buying so much gear! 🤣

Saved in browser, one click 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Updated 11/13/2021

57 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Get in to a doc.  I've had plenty of tendinitis issues so I was comfortable I knew what I was dealing with, but have definitely never experienced what you're describing.

Is it up the back of the arm through the tricep, or the front/bicep area?  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Get in to a doc.  I've had plenty of tendinitis issues so I was comfortable I knew what I was dealing with, but have definitely never experienced what you're describing.

Is it up the back of the arm through the tricep, or the front/bicep area?  

back of the arm, plus a bit of tingle/numbness in fingers. heading to the doctor later this morning. 

• Like 5

Updated 11/13/2021