GolfSpy STUDque

Injury Thread

Some time 2014 or 2015 I played a round at my club, hit one under a tree caught a protruding root just below the surface not visible (if it make sense). Took a full swing and bang, talking about it now, I can still feel the sharp pain running up my forearms. I was out for a few months. I remember the next morning I couldn't open my car door.

Now I don't hit any more shots under or near any trees, period. It slips my mind from time to time but if I remember I would move the ball. Take my medicine hit the shots like I would under the tree and move on.

All our groups now are “mature”, not saying responsible adults over 65. When anyone is close to roots, rocks it is acceptable to move the ball away from the trouble and no penalty is accessed. We don't need damaged “old farts”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Shankster, listen to the man we all do the same stupid stuff.

Remember, we are not bulletproof

No worries. Golf season is almost over. With limited mobility for a month I realized how much I actually use my left arm for the basic stuff. Don't want to jeopardize that.

Take it easy young man. It's these times when you can do more damage. Take care of yourself.

This is coming from someone who treated their body like an amusement park and now somewhat regrets it...but I have some cool stories! B)

I distinctly remember flying down a hill on my mountain bike and waking up several minutes later nowhere near my bike. I wasn't very nice to myself either.

- A.S.

Sent from Winterfell

• Like 2

Some time 2014 or 2015 I played a round at my club, hit one under a tree caught a protruding root just below the surface not visible (if it make sense). Took a full swing and bang, talking about it now, I can still feel the sharp pain running up my forearms. I was out for a few months. I remember the next morning I couldn't open my car door.

Now I don't hit any more shots under or near any trees, period. It slips my mind from time to time but if I remember I would move the ball. Take my medicine hit the shots like I would under the tree and move on.

We have a group rule that you can check for rocks and roots and things that may cause injury or damage. We just move the ball so it's clear of those thing then play. We all have to go to work, golf should be fun, and you should get hurt because of rules that are meant for pros. Moving a ball 12" to avoid injury just makes sense. Now in matches or championships or tournaments we play it as it is i.e. Either play it where it is or take a drop, in our Saturday game we try to be good to each other.

• Like 3

No worries. Golf season is almost over. With limited mobility for a month I realized how much I actually use my left arm for the basic stuff. Don't want to jeopardize that.

I distinctly remember flying down a hill on my mountain bike and waking up several minutes later nowhere near my bike. I wasn't very nice to myself either.

- A.S.

Sent from Winterfell

We had a drainage ditch that would fill up with water after a really strong rain storm, so we had a few hours before it would finally drain out, so what do you do on a hot summer day, well, you build a bicycle ramp about 3 feet high out of a 2x10, and some bricks, then ride as fast as you can from down the street, hit the ramp perfectly and fly into the water, we never once thought about what would happen if we missed the ramp. Those were good times. Or full contact tackle football with no pads in the backyard.

• Like 2

We had a drainage ditch that would fill up with water after a really strong rain storm, so we had a few hours before it would finally drain out, so what do you do on a hot summer day, well, you build a bicycle ramp about 3 feet high out of a 2x10, and some bricks, then ride as fast as you can from down the street, hit the ramp perfectly and fly into the water, we never once thought about what would happen if we missed the ramp. Those were good times. Or full contact tackle football with no pads in the backyard.

Cars that shouldn't be jumped... well they still fly!... and land harshly.

- A.S.

Sent from Winterfell

• Like 1

Cars that shouldn't be jumped... well they still fly!... and land harshly.

- A.S.

Sent from Winterfell

I sit here and think back at all the thing we used to do as kids, and think man, I was so lucky 1 to be alive. 2. To be able live in a time when we played outside and did stupid things. You know like BB gun wars, and never once thought about wearing any protective gear, and I can still see, mostly.
  • Like 2

Funny you say that. I was an avid mtn. biker back in the late 90's-early 2000's. In 99 I wrecked and separated my shoulder (2nd*). It healed well in a few weeks and I was back on the bike again. Exactly one year later I separated the same shoulder again on the mtn. bike. This time it was a total separation. I lived with it until 2004 and decided I had to have it fixed. I had the Weaver/Dunn procedure and was out another 12 weeks. This is what I'm afraid is coming undone.

• Like 3

Funny you say that. I was an avid mtn. biker back in the late 90's-early 2000's. In 99 I wrecked and separated my shoulder (2nd*). It healed well in a few weeks and I was back on the bike again. Exactly one year later I separated the same shoulder again on the mtn. bike. This time it was a total separation. I lived with it until 2004 and decided I had to have it fixed. I had the Weaver/Dunn procedure and was out another 12 weeks. This is what I'm afraid is coming undone.

The last few years of my serious riding I wore protective gear on almost every ride. I had a few D3O padding material on both top and bottom and the elbow and knee pads. If I'm still riding full time I'd be wearing the latest light weight neck brace. Crashing sucks.

• Like 1

Well my pain makes me sound like a sissy but maybe you all can hit me up with a home remedy. My wrist and middle finger hurt on my right hand. Probably from flipping off these crappy drivers.

Golf wise, I felt the pain start as I was taking practice swings before my second shot on 18. I just do air swings so that wasn't it. I finished out the hole with a few painful shots. I don't feel any pain on chips or putts. It shows up at the bottom point of my swing on full swings. I have no idea what's up with my middle finger but it's sore almost all the time.

What do you guys think? Tape? Will athletic take make it so I can play through? Here's a picture of the pain points:

attachicon.giffile-517F9B26-E00D-4614-A0B7-16532F9D7583-39031-0000068C1B5DCB2A.jpg

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Owweeeeeeee my wrist still hurts. I played with CG2 last week with minimal discomfort. I played 9 today with pain on every shot.

On hole 7, the tee shot hurt like the Dickens and flew way OB because I couldn't turn my wrists over. I limped in the last 2 holes from there.

Athletic tape is making the pain subside but it's not getting me all the way there. Any other ideas? I've rested it a decent amount. Got a scramble next Thursday I'd like to be straight for.

• Like 1

Owweeeeeeee my wrist still hurts. I played with CG2 last week with minimal discomfort. I played 9 today with pain on every shot.

On hole 7, the tee shot hurt like the Dickens and flew way OB because I couldn't turn my wrists over. I limped in the last 2 holes from there.

Athletic tape is making the pain subside but it's not getting me all the way there. Any other ideas? I've rested it a decent amount. Got a scramble next Thursday I'd like to be straight for.

I'm sure it's just placebo, but I've been wearing a Phiten bracelet for a few years after wrist pain from being on a computer for 12 hours a day. Haven't had any since. I'm a skeptic when it comes to EVERYTHING, it goes beyond golf equipment, but it's honestly been helping me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I'm sure it's just placebo, but I've been wearing a Phiten bracelet for a few years after wrist pain from being on a computer for 12 hours a day. Haven't had any since. I'm a skeptic when it comes to EVERYTHING, it goes beyond golf equipment, but it's honestly been helping me.

I'm no hater on Phiten. I used to wear a necklace playing baseball and liked it. I had good feelings but that's probably just because I was young.

Phiten is a Hawaiian company right? You must have all the good stuff.

• Like 1

I feel inclined to share this video seeing as though wrist injuries are top 5 of ailments golfers deal with.

https://youtu.be/skaTciVIjak

Here's my practice runs:

file-58D2006D-DAB0-4DCA-9098-91E59A77DEAF-19276-000002CD3CC6B449.jpgfile-CB8ADAF4-DD73-4ADC-8D0E-10AC7F19D651-19276-000002CD3D823AA8.jpg

I tell you what, HUGE difference with practice swings. I don't have a ton of pain but it is nagging so I'm doing everything I can to make it go away. I may even keep the tape after because I like the way it feels in my swing.

• Like 3

I had almost the same injury occur a few years back. Was moving a 65" theater wide projection TV and it dropped on my finger. Once all the kiddies in the house were done learning their first swear words we got the TV off my finger revealing what looked like a hot dog that had been microwaved too long! Went to a small town ER where they were convinced they would have to remove the tip of my finger. I fought that diagnosis and once they saw that the bone miraculously survived they put 16 stitches around the tip of my finger. It's still numb and had has a big scar to this day but it keeps the top hand grip loose. Blessing in disguise I guess, though I'd rather have the tip of my middle finger. I feel your pain but it gets better with time. My injury happened about 10 -12 years ago now and I only remember it now when it gets cold because the tip of that finger freezes almost immediately.

• Like 2

Can confirm the tape pattern made a world of difference. I re-taped after 9 but felt very little pain throughout the round. I hit the ball very well so it was worthwhile

• Like 4

Dealing with a sprained left wrist and finally feeling like I have my mobility back and almost no pain at full flexion and extension.  Might even try some swings tomorrow and hope to play this weekend

• Like 2

I'm no hater on Phiten. I used to wear a necklace playing baseball and liked it. I had good feelings but that's probably just because I was young.

Phiten is a Hawaiian company right? You must have all the good stuff.

It's actually Japanese, but because Japan and Hawaii have such close ties (after that stuff way back when) it has a strong presence here. You should try the bracelet when you're not wearing tape.

• Like 1

It's actually Japanese, but because Japan and Hawaii have such close ties (after that stuff way back when) it has a strong presence here. You should try the bracelet when you're not wearing tape.

Ah. I played baseball with a kid from Hawaii and he had every bit of Phiten you could find. He would get all the craziest stuff (much like NYC with sports gear). It was my first exposure so I assumed it was a Hawaiin product.

You taking about this bracelet?

IMG_6096.PNG

• Like 1

Ah. I played baseball with a kid from Hawaii and he had every bit of Phiten you could find. He would get all the craziest stuff (much like NYC with sports gear). It was my first exposure so I assumed it was a Hawaiin product.

You taking about this bracelet?

attachicon.gifIMG_6096.PNG

Yeah that's the one I wear, in black.

For anyone that has wrist issues, get a WristWidget. $30 on Amazon. By far, this is the best wrist brace you will ever wear. Not intrusive at all when playing. Play pain free ... trust me!!!

For anyone that has wrist issues, get a WristWidget. $30 on Amazon. By far, this is the best wrist brace you will ever wear. Not intrusive at all when playing. Play pain free ... trust me!!!

Not familiar with these - how do they work and what's the benefit

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy