Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Electric or Gas Carts?

STUDque

So I guess I'm directing this question at the spies that have either worked course or know a lot about how they're run.

One of the nicer courses in my area just switched from electric to gas carts. Why?

I would tend to think that charging electric carts is cheaper than buying gas right? Besides cost, they're so much cleaner and don't make as much noise rumbling around the course. I'm sure they've got less moving parts as well. I've seen power issues (when going uphill) with gas engines but never with electric.

Why would they do this?

It just really bums me out because that's one of the things I really liked about that course.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

You pretty much nailed all the reasons. Electric better performing and cheaper.

We are stuck with Gas carts as our cart storage area is outside, so no where to really charge or keep away from the elements.

I played two rounds this past week in electric carts and it was so much nicer and more efficient.

You miss the gas carts? Well you'll get a chance to enjoy them next week then. Ha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You pretty much nailed all the reasons. Electric better performing and cheaper.

We are stuck with Gas carts as our cart storage area is outside, so no where to really charge or keep away from the elements.

I played two rounds this past week in electric carts and it was so much nicer and more efficient.

You miss the gas carts? Well you'll get a chance to enjoy them next week then. Ha

No no. They just switched FROM electric TO gas.

I understand limitations with housing and wiring hookups at your course but why switch back once the infrastructure is there?

I don't really mind gas carts but I also Sony understand why a course would do something to make the expenses go higher.

My course replaced their fleet last year right after I joined the club.  #1-54 are electric and #55-65 are gas.  I much prefer the electric, but gas is OK; relatively quiet compared to gas carts are other courses in the area, probably because they are new.

I do know that the front end is different.  A friend of mine performs maintenance on them and said there are more, expensive parts on the front suspension of the gas carts; someone broke it.  Also, they can use the gas carts to pull other carts.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Electricity is PFM.

In my area with the super stupid high electric rates it probably would be more expensive to keep them charged.

Gas go boom. It's $2.55 a gallon and it is full of ethanol. I imagine the maintenance of the gas engines vs an electric motor would end up being a wash.

So, it probably came down to what kind of deal they could get. My old home course is a junky back yard place and they lease their carts, one year it is electric and the next could be gas. But I guarantee you they have whatever one was the cheapest hat year.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

No no. They just switched FROM electric TO gas.

I understand limitations with housing and wiring hookups at your course but why switch back once the infrastructure is there?

I don't really mind gas carts but I also Sony understand why a course would do something to make the expenses go higher.

Oh I read it wrong my bad. Then yeah, I'd be questioning that as well. Has to be a upfront cost issue?

Weird...I hear courses going from gas to electric but usually not the other way

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

It's certainly not exclusively the case but gas cart fleets are often utilized on layouts with severe grades (hilly). Be mindful that busy courses probably have to turn their carts for a second loop most days. It only takes 30 seconds to top off the petrol tank opposed to 8 hours for a full battery cycle charge. Steep grades eat up battery charge and can also cause electric motors to overheat. A new rack of batteries (x100) every 5-6 years is also a huge bill.

I personally detest gas buggies. The delayed motion from start, they are loud, smelly and prone to backfire...don't get me started. Unfortunately, for certain topographical layout characteristics, they are the only way to reliably get your customers around the course.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Yeah I guess I didn't think about multiple loops. They probably get crushed on tournament days.

The terrain only has 6ish sizeable hills and is otherwise flat but that still may be enough to drain the batteries to the point of needing a charge.

Gas carts are usually cheaper up front, and the ease of recharge/refill is much quicker with gas.

Most courses don't own the carts, they lease them.  So depends on the length of lease terms and if it includes battery replacement.  I would assume maintenance costs are lower with gas as well.  A new set of batteries for a 48 volt cart starts around $800 and could be higher depending if it's 4 12 volt batteries or 6 8 volt batteries.

Basically it's all cost.  Usually gas is cheaper to lease and quicker to refill for a busy course.  Plus at least here in MN we have to worry about cold weather.  Nothing drains a battery faster than playing in 40-50 degree weather.  In mid summer when it's 85 degrees I can play 54 on a charge.  Come late Oct/Nov I can get in 18 and not much more.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Yeah I guess I didn't think about multiple loops. They probably get crushed on tournament days.

The terrain only has 6ish sizeable hills and is otherwise flat but that still may be enough to drain the batteries to the point of needing a charge.

yes, gas does have that advantage, we often have outings of 180  to 200 players and then have to turn around the carts that afternoon for public play.  Gas carts it's not a problem, electric carts it would be.

On that note, we played int 54 hole Solstice Survival at Musket Ridge in June, they have very nice electric carts.  But as we came by the clubhouse around our 23rd hole, they had guys out with other carts standing by to swtich ours out, so they didn't die on us.   It was like watching a NASCAR Pit Crew swithcing them out..ha

Gas carts are usually cheaper up front, and the ease of recharge/refill is much quicker with gas.

Most courses don't own the carts, they lease them.  So depends on the length of lease terms and if it includes battery replacement.  I would assume maintenance costs are lower with gas as well.  A new set of batteries for a 48 volt cart starts around $800 and could be higher depending if it's 4 12 volt batteries or 6 8 volt batteries.

Basically it's all cost.  Usually gas is cheaper to lease and quicker to refill for a busy course.  Plus at least here in MN we have to worry about cold weather.  Nothing drains a battery faster than playing in 40-50 degree weather.  In mid summer when it's 85 degrees I can play 54 on a charge.  Come late Oct/Nov I can get in 18 and not much more.

Yeah, if I didn't mention it I should have, the upfront cost is also a huge factor. and you are correct we lease them and don't own them out right.  Usually a 3 to 5 year lease. 

Most courses don't own the carts, they lease them. So depends on the length of lease terms and if it includes battery replacement. I would assume maintenance costs are lower with gas as well. A new set of batteries for a 48 volt cart starts around $800 and could be higher depending if it's 4 12 volt batteries or 6 8 volt batteries.

Basically it's all cost. Usually gas is cheaper to lease and quicker to refill for a busy course. Plus at least here in MN we have to worry about cold weather. Nothing drains a battery faster than playing in 40-50 degree weather. In mid summer when it's 85 degrees I can play 54 on a charge. Come late Oct/Nov I can get in 18 and not much more.

Yamaha released in 2017 “quiet tech” cart and had carburetor or fuel injecton. I have the fuel injection model with the quiet tech. This cart is really quiet not as quiet as electric but close. It's also cleaner (no smell) and runs forever on a tank of gas. If this is the carts they switched to u may like them especially if hilly course, lots of torque.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Most likely they were able to buy the gas carts for cheap because no one uses them anymore.  Given the choice, I prefer gas carts too simply because most gas carts are older now and electric ones are just nicer.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Where I came from New England most courses leased carts buying didn't make sense. The vast majority were gas because of the topography of NE. A lot of courses you had to be 1\ 2 billy goat to play them electric couldn't cut it. Maintenance in most gas carts (Yamaha) is minor as they are just about bulletproof.

Electric carts the battery life starts to drop after a while, not sure what that curve is.

Now that I live in FL gas carts are more popular here because of range. Gas carts can go forever on 5 gal gas electric 40 miles then recharge. After a couple of years batteries need to be changed out and that cost can be $700-$1200 gas carts don't have that problem.

Rick

Left Hand, 

My club in Tampa Florida(Pebble Creek) leases carts and the owner also has 3 other clubs. All switched from Electric to the Quiet Gas carts b6 Yamaha last year. If you have a 3 year lease then you usually do not have to replace the batteries. For leases longer you will be required to replace the batteries which cost around $1k per cart. The gas carts can be easily maintained and the overall cost for 5 years is much less than the Electric.

I also play weekly at another club(city of Tampa course) which has electric carts. They chose to lease the new ones last year but had to do so without a windshield to keep the cost down. This now causes issues when it rains or when it occasionally gets cold in Tampa.....LOL.

The Yamaha gas carts are more cost effective and can endure the club usage for 5 years thus helping to keep the cost of Golf down for our members and the public.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

In our area there are a couple of businesses that have 24/7 cart service. They come and trailer you to somewhere you specify. Service also includes gas if you run out, flat repair etc. cost per year varies $35–$75 depending on service. Anyway I was talking to one of the owners of a company the other day and I asked him what carts break down the most? He said electric carts were his living, not sure the % but electric broke down lot more than gas carts.

Rick

Left Hand, 

This is where I get my cart serviced once a year. Free loaner. Routine maintenance is $69.95.IMG_1394.JPGIMG_1395.JPG

Rick

Left Hand, 

Where do you live Rickp, Sun City?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Where do you live Rickp, Sun City?

The Villages.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Terrific.......can you get me a buddy trip for 20 players for 4 days of golf on different courses plus lodging for under $300?

Terrific.......can you get me a buddy trip for 20 players for 4 days of golf on different courses plus lodging for under $300?

Nope

Seriously The Villages is a PIA if your not a resident Priority member. Come October the northern Flock start coming in.

During certain times of the year I can get me +3 a tee time. Too many people

Rick

Left Hand, 

Keep in mind electric motors require of course DC current from Batteries. Batteries don't fair well in cold weather and expand when hot, gas just keeps on rolling, of course if a jetted motor is used some minor maint as the weather changes will be needed. My wife is not a fan of the instant GO of the electric cart lots of torque, she feels like she leaves her lunch at the teebox when I step on it

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We have had great success with our ezgo rxv electric cart. We use it everyday (18 holes) and replaced batteries for the first time after 6 years. New Trojan 4x12vt. were $750.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

We have had great success with our ezgo rxv electric cart. We use it everyday (18 holes) and replaced batteries for the first time after 6 years. New Trojan 4x12vt. were $750.

Electric carts are fine for golf in fact I would have electric instead of gas. In our community golf is just a small portion of the carts use, It is your second car. We use it for everyday activity, doctor, shopping and other recreational use. My current cart is 7 months old and I'm going on 3,000 miles. When we play golf nearby we take a neighbors electric when we have a longer ride to a course we take the gas.

We are talking about a second cart and if we do get another it would most likely be electric. This will be used for the small day to day short runs.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Electric or gas u don't drive thru a flooded cart tunnel IMG_1463.JPG

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 3 months later...

Just looping back around on this one as I finally got to play the course that switched to gas. They still must've splurged because those puppies are FAST. It made for a nice quick round and I could cool off my sweat as we drove.

Then a few weeks back I played Lake Presidential with CG and ddryan riding in electric carts. I loved the comfort and quiet ride but they were much slower and less powerful. On a few of those steep hills, I wasn't sure if those 2 were going to make it over the top or not

Just looping back around on this one as I finally got to play the course that switched to gas. They still must've splurged because those puppies are FAST. It made for a nice quick round and I could cool off my sweat as we drove.

Then a few weeks back I played Lake Presidential with CG and ddryan riding in electric carts. I loved the comfort and quiet ride but they were much slower and less powerful. On a few of those steep hills, I wasn't sure if those 2 were going to make it over the top or not

It comes down to maintenance and upkeep. Electric could go quicker, however, they are typically restricted for safety. I haven't looked at the difference in cost, but I know most courses I play are too steep to use gas carts.

In my bag

Driver  :cobra-small:  F8+ 

Fairway:  :cobra-small: F8+ (15°)

UT:   :callaway-small:  XForged 18°

Irons:   :ping-small:  i200 (4-PW)

Wedge:   :callaway-small:  62 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 52 | 56

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force 2

• 1 month later...

My Yamaha gas cart had the one year service, $89.00. They give you a loaner so you have a cart to use. Put on 3,700 miles this year. I was sick for a good part of the year so mileage down a bit.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Archived