Driving irons anyone?

Our Sponsors

I'm a big fan of driving irons. My home course is short and definitely rewards well placed long iron shots off the tee. I have been using the Taylor Made TP UDI 2 iron for a few years and I love it. I'm a diehard Mizuno iron player though so the release of the new MP 18 fli high line peaked my interest.

That being said, Taylor Made just released the p-790 irons and everything I read was how the touring pros loved them in the long driving irons. TM is only offering full sets of these irons starting at 3 iron to the public apparently. I guess TM just wants to sell full sets off the rack, no consideration of single order custom clubs. Would love to try one of these 2 irons but appears that not an option. Love that Mizuno is embracing the blending and customization of sets among all skill levels. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made M2 - KuroKage Silver TiNi 60g X

Titleist 917f2 15 deg - Rogue Max 75s

Taylor Made M4 - 19 deg - Tensei Blue 80 X

Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi  (2 iron) - Project X 6.5

Mizuno MP-18 SC (3-6 iron) - Project X 6.5

Mizuno MP-18 (7-PW) - Project X 6.5

Vokey WW SM6 Raw 52.08 - Project X 6.5

Vokey WW SM7 Raw 56.10 S grind, 60.08 M grind

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

You can custom order a 3i directly from tmag. I've also seen that they will have driving irons come out this year as well

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Not my cup of tea anymore but my question would be if you have one that works why be concerned about it?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

The MP-FliHi you can get the 2 iron bent to 15.5°, that would make one heck of a fairway finder. And at $150 what's not to like?

I've got one at standard loft. Works pretty good off the tee... similar distance as my 3 wood. But not as long off the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'll use a 2-iron hybrid sometimes but that's as close as I get to a driving iron. I'm more comfortable using my 3-wood off the tee.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Just ordered a ping crossover 3 iron.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm in the market for a great 2 iron myself. Looking for a callaway or TM.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

I'm not one that endorses what "the pros play"

But the VP of Tour for Titleist told us Jimmy Walker put a AP3 3 iron in the bag for this reason and says it's the best club he's ever had in that slot.

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

For me I love hitting the long irons. So a driving iron is a great thing in my bag. Not to many years ago we knew them as a 2 iron. With the way some these OEM's have pushed hollow body designs it seems that what we once knew as long irons are in this category.

... I am a little surprised OEM's have not released an adjustable DI like the King Utility. I have been playing mine since before it was released and adjusting it from 18-21* is such a nice feature. We all know every club produced by any OEM does not have the same specs so when you demo a 19* DI and love to then find the one you buy launches a little higher or lower than the demo is addressed with the King Utility. I have also dialed it down on particularly windy days. 

... Thats said, there are many new DI's that are worth a demo including the OP's Fli Hi and the new TM. One I have not hit but really look forward to demoing is the new Exotics XBX Iron Wood. 17* 2 ironwood through 25* 5 ironwood. Exotics was the first to bring out this kind of driving iron-hybrid combo with the original IronWood about 20 years ago and I had the Tour version in my bag for years. 

http://www.exoticsgolf.com/products/cbxironwood.asp

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

I'm considering a Ping Crossover too

Ping G410 Plus VA Composites VYLYN 55 Four

Taylormade SIM 3 Wood Project X Riptide 60 Stiff

Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Heavenwood

PXG 0211 4-Gap True Temper Elevate Tour

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* 58* AWT 2.0 Wedge

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

... I am a little surprised OEM's have not released an adjustable DI like the King Utility. I have been playing mine since before it was released and adjusting it from 18-21* is such a nice feature. We all know every club produced by any OEM does not have the same specs so when you demo a 19* DI and love to then find the one you buy launches a little higher or lower than the demo is addressed with the King Utility. I have also dialed it down on particularly windy days. 

... Thats said, there are many new DI's that are worth a demo including the OP's Fli Hi and the new TM. One I have not hit but really look forward to demoing is the new Exotics XBX Iron Wood. 17* 2 ironwood through 25* 5 ironwood. Exotics was the first to bring out this kind of driving iron-hybrid combo with the original IronWood about 20 years ago and I had the Tour version in my bag for years. 

http://www.exoticsgolf.com/products/cbxironwood.asp

Do you have a pic of that old ironwood? When I saw the new CBX version it reminded me of a similar club I played over 20 years ago as well. Similar shape and everything. I really can't remember if it was a Tour Edge or not. It was such a great driving iron though. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

... The non tour model was much more hybrid looking with  thicker top line and offset. The tour looks like an iron at address. I have 3 in the basement but it looks like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tour-Edge-Bazooka-Jmax-Ironwood-19-Degree-2-Hybrid-Stiff-Flex-Graphite-0626404-/352143609621?hash=item51fd650f15:g:LC8AAOSwxk9ZlctI

I have a Srixon U65 3 iron. It's a go to for shorter par 4s. Consistently straight and long enough. I'm starting to consider pulling it from the bag however, b/c I don't like it off the turf or rough.

Ones I've owned and some thoughts.

Had a mph5 but hated the sole interaction. Very easy to elevate and felt pretty good.

Srixon zu65 feels pretty good too sole was better than the Mizuno.

Taylormade udi 2 iron that I liked but didn't like the feel of it.

2016 Titleist t-mb, like it's sole the best, but felt the worst could've been the dynamic gold shaft. Best from the rough.

I prefer a steel shaft vs graphite because I like to hit it off the deck too and I like the heft. The Mizuno and Srixon did not like hard packed turf much

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Rogue 9*, UST chrome 7F5T 

Fairway:     :taylormade-small: M5 3 wood, UST chrome 7F5T

Irons:        :titelist-small: TMB 3i &  :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     :titelist-small: Voke SM7 LTD Jet Black 

Putter:       :bettinardi-small: Queen Bee #9

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I've been thinking about getting one. How does a DI do off the deck vs hybrid/fairway?

... I think if you are a good ball striker, most all are easy to hit from the fairway. For me at least they are more reliable than wood like hybrids as I just hit the DI's more accurate. The rough is a different story and I have had success with some while others just didn't handle the rough well. I would demo them of course as some are easier to elevate than others. 

• Like 2

... I think if you are a good ball striker, most all are easy to hit from the fairway. For me at least they are more reliable than wood like hybrids as I just hit the DI's more accurate. The rough is a different story and I have had success with some while others just didn't handle the rough well. I would demo them of course as some are easier to elevate than others.

For sure, just wanted some real people opinions. Was thinking about getting that to replace the hybrid cause I duck hook that thing off the face of the earth some days. Thanks chisag!

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app