Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Scotty Cameron Gallery Prices

DFSPFD

How does the Scotty Cameron Gallery continue to carry a fanbase of people willing to pay $3,000 all the way up to north of $8,000 for putters that are essentially mass produced and stamped with "TOUR USE ONLY" or using a welded neck with ZERO technology? The price of his ball markers is insulting, $750 for a ball marker with terrible welds and craftsmanship for a ultra premium price similar to my William Henry or Tiffany products that are so far superior in quality it makes me wonder why anyone would even consider Scotty? His putters are NOT boutique putters like Lamb, and don't even perform as well as Scotty counterfeit putters as noted in MGS testing! Anyone on here care to enlighten me? (not looking for a testimony of how a Scotty took you from a 40 HC to a 38, looking for real justifications of the price relative to the competition that is available to us today.)

Note: I gamed Scotty's for years and own 10+ that have been to the custom shop, but after seeing the prices people pay for his Galley putters and ball markers I couldn't take it anymore. They don't even market progressive or innovative products, simply new paint schemes from the house of smoke and  mirrors year after year. After exploring the market and what else is available I can't justify continuing to support the Cameron putters, I know MGS has some very passionate people and enthusiasts so hopefully someone can explain this to me.

Thanks and look forward to the discussion.

F9 Tensei Pro Orange 70TX

Taylormade Tour M2 15* / Kuro Kage 80 TX

790 UDI Tensei White 100TX

Apex Pro 19 4-PW DG X7

Vokey SM7 Raw 50* 54* 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* S400

Taylormade Spider Tour (Red)

The same reason people pay for just about any collectible - it has value to them.

People aren't buying these putters because it helps their game.

I don't collect ball markers from courses because some mark balls better than others - I do it because it's a hobby.

Some hobbies are more expensive than others.  I never really understood why some people get so worked up about others' hobbies/purchases

That makes sense to me. In all honesty it never occurred to me that some might view them as collectibles as I've never thought of clubs that way. Thanks.

Apex Pro 19 4-PW DG X7

Vokey SM7 Raw 50* 54* 

That makes sense to me. In all honesty it never occurred to me that some might view them as collectibles as I've never thought of clubs that way. Thanks.

People collect all sorts of golf things - putters being one of them.  Some a brand-specific, while others just collect whatever tickles their fancy.

I can appreciate that, I can't say I've ever felt a sentimental attachment to my clubs (as they never stay in the bag long), but couldn't rationalize them as an investment so couldn't make the connection. Thanks for the response. Feel pretty dumb and petty for starting this thread now but don't know how to remove it.

Apex Pro 19 4-PW DG X7

Vokey SM7 Raw 50* 54* 

I can appreciate that, I can't say I've ever felt a sentimental attachment to my clubs (as they never stay in the bag long), but couldn't rationalize them as an investment so couldn't make the connection. Thanks for the response. Feel pretty dumb and petty for starting this thread now but don't know how to remove it.

Not a dumb question at all.  Sorry if my original response came off harsh.

As I mentioned in another thread - I think people should play golf the way that makes them the most happy.  If that means always changing equipment because playing different clubs all the time is fun for them than more power to them.  

That is what is great about golf - their are so many different avenues for enjoyment

The same reason people pay for just about any collectible - it has value to them.

People aren't buying these putters because it helps their game.

I don't collect ball markers from courses because some mark balls better than others - I do it because it's a hobby.

Some hobbies are more expensive than others. I never really understood why some people get so worked up about others' hobbies/purchases

Haters don't want to see others shine

Back on topic, I'm going to Japan next year and wanted to go to the Scotty gallery up there, until I saw the prices of what they carry. I usually buy some type of souvenir when I travel, so this time I thought "I can get something cool from the Scotty gallery!" Yeah, don't think that's going to happen, maybe if I sell a kidney, LOL!

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Haters don't want to see others shine

Back on topic, I'm going to Japan next year and wanted to go to the Scotty gallery up there, until I saw the prices of what they carry. I usually buy some type of souvenir when I travel, so this time I thought "I can get something cool from the Scotty gallery!" Yeah, don't think that's going to happen, maybe if I sell a kidney, LOL!

My brother in law just got back from a year in Japan.  He said absolutely anything to do with golf is extremely overpriced there.

I don't get it either, I mean even as a hobby to collect things, I have never understood the love for Scotty stuff. Every time I try one I really want to like it, but they suck for me. I have many friends that are Scotty only for their putting needs, so I get it, but I think they are a way overpriced company, and we pay for the name more than anything, as said though, if someone want so waste their money on it, then more power to them.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I don't get it either, I mean even as a hobby to collect things, I have never understood the love for Scotty stuff. Every time I try one I really want to like it, but they suck for me. I have many friends that are Scotty only for their putting needs, so I get it, but I think they are a way overpriced company, and we pay for the name more than anything, as said though, if someone want so waste their money on it, then more power to them.

same for me performance wise, I continue to hope they'll do it for me but I can't say they've done anything ground breaking for. Not even a marginal performance improvement from anything I've owned in the production line relative to others on the market. Part of the reason I can't imagine owning a $5,000 (essentially production) model with Circle T stamp collectible or not. But apparently they've found their customer base and they keep coming back for more.

Apex Pro 19 4-PW DG X7

Vokey SM7 Raw 50* 54* 

... His putters are NOT boutique putters like Lamb...

Funny that I have more issue with this comment than anything else said.  Lamb is a machinist who stamps putters and charges crazy amounts for them.  Let's just say I'm not a fan.

I'm not a Scotty guy and have never understood their value.  At the same time there a million things people collect that cost a ton of money that I've never understood.  If you want to see crazy go check out Precious Moments or those Funko Pop dolls, some of those things are absolutely crazy.

Bottom line is something is worth exactly what someone else will pay for it.  Just because you or I don't see the value doesn't mean someone else won't.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Funny that I have more issue with this comment than anything else said.  Lamb is a machinist who stamps putters and charges crazy amounts for them.  Let's just say I'm not a fan.

I'm not a Scotty guy and have never understood their value.  At the same time there a million things people collect that cost a ton of money that I've never understood.  If you want to see crazy go check out Precious Moments or those Funko Pop dolls, some of those things are absolutely crazy.

Bottom line is something is worth exactly what someone else will pay for it.  Just because you or I don't see the value doesn't mean someone else won't.

Well said, I looked those up and I'm in a state of shock and awe....

as far as the lamb putters being boutique my simple assessment from playing with people who have them and looking into it myself is they seem to be much more custom built and individualized, that being said my comment about Scotty's just being over priced putters with "custom stamps" just be just as applicable to Lamb. So I guess I've undone my own argument in a more emotional than rational argument for something that quite frankly I couldn't make sense of. But people obviously collect all kinds of strange things for far more money than these putters. I'm just used to this site being more objective about clubs and values but that clearly is not the purpose of lamb or putters listed in the Scotty Gallery.

Apex Pro 19 4-PW DG X7

Vokey SM7 Raw 50* 54* 

Well said, I looked those up and I'm in a state of shock and awe....

as far as the lamb putters being boutique my simple assessment from playing with people who have them and looking into it myself is they seem to be much more custom built and individualized, that being said my comment about Scotty's just being over priced putters with "custom stamps" just be just as applicable to Lamb. So I guess I've undone my own argument in a more emotional than rational argument for something that quite frankly I couldn't make sense of. But people obviously collect all kinds of strange things for far more money than these putters. I'm just used to this site being more objective about clubs and values but that clearly is not the purpose of lamb or putters listed in the Scotty Gallery.

I think you nailed it with that last part.  When it comes to high end collectible putters, no matter who makes, the price has nothing to do with on course performance.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I will NEVER understand why people will pay those kinds of prices, for anything. I'm the type if I buy something, it has a purpose. Meaning I'm going to use it. I work to hard for my to buy something just because it's one of a kind or collectible.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

If you can afford it, why not?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I just have a SC X7M and it is finishing the 2nd full season in my bag. In thst time I've been through 5 sets of irons and 5 drivers.

To say the X7M is worth the cost for me is a huge understatement.

While i have glanced at other putters and reviewed one for MGS. I just can't see the benefit of changing to anything else right now.

And those that know me, are shocked by thst.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I just have a SC X7M and it is finishing the 2nd full season in my bag. In thst time I've been through 5 sets of irons and 5 drivers.

To say the X7M is worth the cost for me is a huge understatement.

While i have glanced at other putters and reviewed one for MGS. I just can't see the benefit of changing to anything else right now.

And those that know me, are shocked by thst.

I am shocked,  you have only been through 5 sets of irons?   :lol:    

People collect things because the item has some level of appeal to them,  Why buy an original piece of artwork if you can buy a print for significantly less.  Why buy a Mercedes when a Chevy will accomplish the same thing.   Why buy PXG,XXIO, or Homna, when you can buy component clubs cheaper.  Why buy a $100 shirt when you can get one on the next rack for $25?  What something is worth is only what someone is willing to pay for the item.    Whether you agree or not,  the Cameron market demands a high price for what he produces.  Much of it isn't even intended for use,  it is a piece of artwork similar to Tyson Lamb (as someone else mentioned). 

In the end people produce items to make money.  Look at it this way If you made a product that cost $1 to make but people were willing to spend $100 for it,  would you sell it for $2 because you thought is was only worth that much and you didn't feel like maximizing profit?  Would you control the supply to minimize the number that were available at any time to help keep prices high?   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

same for me performance wise, I continue to hope they'll do it for me but I can't say they've done anything ground breaking for. Not even a marginal performance improvement from anything I've owned in the production line relative to others on the market. Part of the reason I can't imagine owning a $5,000 (essentially production) model with Circle T stamp collectible or not. But apparently they've found their customer base and they keep coming back for more.

The best putter I found for myself was an old ping G2i that I picked up for 40 bucks off eBay. I have single moved to a rife switchback that I really love, but had I not found that ping I would probably still be searching.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I guess it is what ever folks are in to and can afford to collect. The only reason I have the Scotty I have is because I found it on the scrap pile at work. With grip and all I have less than $5 in it. It is rough and rusty and lead taped but I can putt the lights out with it. ROTFLMAO!! it gets the prim and proper Scotty crowd riled up especially when I make a lot of putts with it. But it was fate that I found it because the bin it was in was scheduled to be dumped in the pile the next morning and more than likely destroyed. As for me I collect old clubs that I find at either work or in the thrift stores that I can afford. But to each his own.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Having a Scotty Golo, I just enjoy it. First it was I wanted the "Scotty" because of the name. Once I tried a few and picked the Golo I genuinely putt better with it than any other putter. Placebo affect or not, I dont know. However, I'd never spend the $3000 on another one. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Archived