Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putter Paint Fill and Shaft Blackout

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a putter a few years ago that. And with a black shaft looked great. After a short time it started wearing basing from my bag and other normal wear, no abuse. Not sure who shaft maker was but terrible quality.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Go for it

file-741670B7-96BA-43E4-B5F4-874D759A0D6A-3746-0000009EFB72DAD8.jpg

My lucky stars! It just came right off. I pumped a little air into the grip without solvent just to see what would happen and the butt started twisting as I wished. So I twisted more and more and the whole grip was spinning before I knew it. A little more elbow grease and POP goes the weasel.

I guess they blew the grip on with masking tape as lubricant. I was expecting a s* sandwich of pain and got a piece of cake. THANKS MLA.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Great job and saved the grip to replace or use on another project. It's great when you get to change and not destroy the grip.

Rick

Left Hand, 

As I was prepping for this work, I found this. I'm not using the same stuff but it gives a good technique for the process whether you've got the grip installed or off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Mr7UKLBUU&feature=youtu.be

Then I checked out the website and might try and put flames on my Odyssey putter sometime haha.

file-69C49C5C-BD7B-47EE-B1FD-71F4A30E8D6D-19971-000004474B393C51.jpg

OK I did it. I guess I've hijacked this thread plenty with this side discussion about the shaft but..... It's my thread anyway.

I'll say I'm 7/10 satisfied with the result. I'm super happy I changed the grip because my stroke feels MUCH better. The shaft looks pretty cool from a distance too. There's like 1 or 2 ripples that I couldn't get out of the heat shrink but no big deal. The big killer is that the bottom of the shaft has a bunch of subtle bends that made it impossible to make the edge of the shrink flush with the putter head. The only way to make it even was to cut it a tiny bit short so my putter looks like it's wearing highwaters. Luckily, I can't see it at address but almost everyone else on the green can see it.

There were many curse words exercised as I tried to get the grip on. It was tight fit on the shaft already and barely, just barely got over the tube. The increased thickness of the shaft made it too large to sit nicely in my shaft adaptor for vices so the club wouldn't stay put either.

Devastation: As I was cutting the tip of the tube, a side piece of the knife scratched the white wing

Note 1: A heat gun is a MUST here. I tried a hairdryer and wasted about 30 minutes moving about an inch. Then went to Lowe's, got the heat gun, and finished up.

Note 2: Try to find smaller thickness of heat shrink. Those shaft skinz seem to be much easier to work with but they're $20/ea so not cheap.

I'm glad I did it but I'm not sure I would do it again. It's just for looks so who cares about that, right?

attachicon.giffile-69C49C5C-BD7B-47EE-B1FD-71F4A30E8D6D-19971-000004474B393C51.jpg

OK I did it. I guess I've hijacked this thread plenty with this side discussion about the shaft but..... It's my thread anyway.

I'll say I'm 7/10 satisfied with the result. I'm super happy I changed the grip because my stroke feels MUCH better. The shaft looks pretty cool from a distance too. There's like 1 or 2 ripples that I couldn't get out of the heat shrink but no big deal. The big killer is that the bottom of the shaft has a bunch of subtle bends that made it impossible to make the edge of the shrink flush with the putter head. The only way to make it even was to cut it a tiny bit short so my putter looks like it's wearing highwaters. Luckily, I can't see it at address but almost everyone else on the green can see it.

There were many curse words exercised as I tried to get the grip on. It was tight fit on the shaft already and barely, just barely got over the tube. The increased thickness of the shaft made it too large to sit nicely in my shaft adaptor for vices so the club wouldn't stay put either.

Devastation: As I was cutting the tip of the tube, a side piece of the knife scratched the white wing

Note 1: A heat gun is a MUST here. I tried a hairdryer and wasted about 30 minutes moving about an inch. Then went to Lowe's, got the heat gun, and finished up.

Note 2: Try to find smaller thickness of heat shrink.

I'm glad I did it but I'm not sure I would do it again. It's just for looks so who cares about that, right?

I'm impressed, great job outta the chute. Pix look good. The only one who's going to know about the “slip” is you.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm impressed, great job outta the chute. Pix look good. The only one who's going to know about the “slip” is you.

BTW, I like the black color scheme.

Rick

Left Hand, 

As I was prepping for this work, I found this. I'm not using the same stuff but it gives a good technique for the process whether you've got the grip installed or off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Mr7UKLBUU&feature=youtu.be

Then I checked out the website and might try and put flames on my Odyssey putter sometime haha.

I'm not sure they make the shaft skinz anymore

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm not sure they make the shaft skinz anymore

So the website still seems active but $20 each is pricey. Check out this eBay listing I've found:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332047375426

This guy came into the lot through a storage unit sale. He's selling boxes of 4 skinz for $11 shipped and has tons of styles (skulls, flames, confetti, puzzle pieces, camo) and multiple colors of each. Pretty cool stuff.

Archived