GolfSpy STUDque

Putter Paint Fill and Shaft Blackout

So I've done some research on this on Google but can only find tutorials for total refinishing. I don't want to strip all the paint off the putter and do a total custom job, I just want to fill in a distracting piece of the head.

I want to go from this:

xcBIF9T.jpg

To this:

708hRc2.png

I want to take the minimally invasive approach.

Could I just take some enamel paint and go over the white section with no additional work?

Bonus question: Is there a good process where I can paint the shaft without removing the head or grip?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I've painted clubs before with success.

The simple easy approach would be to tape up the putter, clean and use enamel paint as desired. A light coat 1st followed by a finishing coat.

I wouldn't paint the shaft, it will only chip.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

61L265KfoyL._SL1500_.jpg

Seriously though, like the advice already given, just tape off the part you don't want painted and use enamel paint.

You know, that was my first plan but I thought it might be tricky to get a flat finish and the squiggles would drive me crazy.

• Like 1

If you want to go cheaper Stud, maybe even electrical tape over it, that way if you want remove it you can.

• Like 2

If you want to go cheaper Stud, maybe even electrical tape over it, that way if you want remove it you can.

Enamel paint probably won't cost too much in the quantity I'm looking at. I'm gonna head to Michael's soon and see what I can find.

I might try and black out some of the top white section as well. I thought about blacking out some but not all of it so I'll have a thin, white/red/white mark on the top line.

For my eye, I think I need to be aiming with a smaller target rather than the big target this putter frames the ball with.

aim-small-miss-small-scene-the-patriot-1

Nail polish. Just go raid the nail polish. If you don't have any at home, stop by the Walmart.

file-C742FBBC-D9A6-4671-8C09-511626574D0C-68795-00000C19FD96904E.jpg

Taped up and ready to rock! Gonna do the painting tonight after the girls go to sleep.

For those curious, I got Testor's Flat Black Enamel Model Paint.

• Like 1

Looks great so far, make sure to post some more pics once it's dry!

• Like 1

It's still a little tacky and shiny. I think you've gotta give this paint about 3 days to cure so I'll just have to be patient and see how it does after the weekend.

I picked "flat" paint because it's supposedly more muted that "matte" but I may try to go over it with a matte coat if the shine doesn't go away.

Anyone aware of a different method to knock the shine off?

It's still a little tacky and shiny. I think you've gotta give this paint about 3 days to cure so I'll just have to be patient and see how it does after the weekend.

I picked "flat" paint because it's supposedly more muted that "matte" but I may try to go over it with a matte coat if the shine doesn't go away.

Anyone aware of a different method to knock the shine off?

Try. A 3m finishing (green) pad or stop by the local auto parts store for 1500 grit sandpaper (used wet). The latter takes the shine off without removing paint

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Try. A 3m finishing (green) pad or stop by the local auto parts store for 1500 grit sandpaper (used wet). The latter takes the shine off without removing paint

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Hmm I tend to like that sanding idea. That would save me from having to re-tape and the paint could use a little smoothing.

• Like 1

You've inspired me Stud, I've been thinking of adding a line atop my Nickent Pipe... might have to do it now.

So the wet sanding is harder than I thought it'd be. Much harder really. I got the glossiness muted but the finish is now uneven and some white parts are showing through.

I'm gonna go get some "matte" paint, put another coat on, and call it a day with no further tweaks.

Tried to take a picture but it makes it look like I did an awesome job when that's really not the case.

• Like 1

All finished up! I must say I'm quite pleased with the results. Not sure how it'll last over the long haul but I'm happy for now.

Here's how it looked after sanding:

Vza3mMk.jpg

It's not as bad as the picture makes it look but it's very noticeably uneven in the light.

Apparently, they don't make matte enamel paint so the store rep recommended acrylic. This is flat black still so I was skeptical:

q75numj.jpg

The acrylic paint was much more fluid even after tons of mixing. Also, I cut corners with the tape so I had a frantic 15 minutes of cleanup after I was done painting. Went to town with a wet cutip to preserve the paint I did want.

aEGvcMr.jpg

WCLhUcI.jpg

Like I said, I'm stoked with how it came out. I'll try to get some shots on the green to use in my stage 3 over the next few days.

My first favorite part is the top racing stripe. That came out better than expected and sets up great to my eye at address.

nnTUeWl.jpg

My second favorite part was a pleasant surprise. The white line around the base of the curve came out straight and solid. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to save that section but I got a good tape line down the first time I did the putter. You can't see it at address but it looks cool to the passerby.

Uad79oq.jpg

The end. ✋️

I'll update this sometime in the future when I get a chance to see how durable it is. This is a putter after all so I take care of it like putters should.

• Like 7