TESTERS WANTED! ×

Something that has always bothered me about the Japanese market...

PoorGolfer

Two things actually: first thing: why so exclusive??

Why does Japan get it's specific market with Japan-only brands and even with American manufacturers making specific Japan-only models, while the rest of the world gets everything normal stock. It's like there are two markets: Japan and the rest of the world.

I just don't get it. I am not sure about sales figures, but I am pretty sure that the US and Europe are a much bigger market than Japan, yet Japan still gets tons of exclusive stuff, Mizuno balls and shoes, Callaway Legacy series and a huge number of other exclusive brands: PRGR, TourStage, Dance with Dragon and Gold's Factory putters and wedges just to name a few.

The other thing, why is it that almost all irons sold in the Japanese market has to offer graphite shafts as the main choice, with steel shafts coming in 2nd. Even players irons like Mizuno MP67 and 68 and Titleist MBs and CBs, irons which in the US are offered only in steel shafts (graphite shafts being by special order AFAIK) yet in Japan they are offered in stock graphite shafts.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

While I know little of the golf environment in Japan, what I have seen and heard is that in Japan clubs sometimes are more important than ones game. It is more of a status symbol at times and they are willing to pay much more for what they get. In America we are typically not willing to pay the prices they do in Japan for their high end equipment. It's simple economics for supply and demand between our market and Japans. This seems to go for both head designs and shaft designs.

While I know little of the golf environment in Japan, what I have seen and heard is that in Japan clubs sometimes are more important than ones game. It is more of a status symbol at times and they are willing to pay much more for what they get. In America we are typically not willing to pay the prices they do in Japan for their high end equipment. It's simple economics for supply and demand between our market and Japans. This seems to go for both head designs and shaft designs.

That would seem to be a reasonable answer. I just did a quick check and the average income in Japan is @ $27K and the US @ $31K per the site I was on. Given the disparity you would think the US would get the equipment nod but then when you think about it - who buy$ Honnma...?

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

That would seem to be a reasonable answer. I just did a quick check and the average income in Japan is @ $27K and the US @ $31K per the site I was on. Given the disparity you would think the US would get the equipment nod but then when you think about it - who buy$ Honnma...?

rob

Only the very rich I suspect :) $1800 for a used set on fleabay....wow.

The average Asian (specifically SE Asian) is shorter than the average American. Also, Japanese clubs tend to have flashier designs, from whatr I've seen. I don't know why the market would be spilt Japan/ America though.

I wish the Japaneese Market was accesible to us. I like the looks of their irons. Seems like most of the irons I have seen have more of a players looks to them and so do the wedges. Im not a fan of the woods that the Japaneese have thought only because they are to crazy looking for me.

On the other hand is Vega considered Japaneese market Clubs? I have never seen any for sale or actually held any but I love the look of Vega clubs.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

The Japanese like lighter clubs to us westerners hence the differences. Head weights are generally lighter and shafts lighter and wippier.

Some shaft manufacturers make shafts specifically for sales outside of asia. There is a story as to why a Blue Board in the US does not have the flower decal like the Japanese version does. Maybe that is not a story for here though.

historically pricing in Japan is similar to Europe by comparison but is so much more expensive at the moment because of the exchange rate with the Yen.

I wish the Japaneese Market was accesible to us. I like the looks of their irons. Seems like most of the irons I have seen have more of a players looks to them and so do the wedges. Im not a fan of the woods that the Japaneese have thought only because they are to crazy looking for me.

On the other hand is Vega considered Japaneese market Clubs? I have never seen any for sale or actually held any but I love the look of Vega clubs.

Well there are a few places you can get this equipment if you really like it better then what we have offered to us here in the USA. Tourspecgolf offers this type of equipment and I'm sure there's a few other sites around as well. That's the thing now with the INTERNET we can almost get anything we like. Just may have to pay some high fee's but is is available. Just have to do a little searching. But I see how many feel we should get a little more offered this way...

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

FWIW, I've never understood the fascination with Japanese equipment. It's always struck me as a "grass is greener" thing. That said, I do like many of the staff bags that I see on TourSpec, I'm just not ready to skip a mortgage payment to get one.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Some of the Japanese accessories are quite nice and unique. Como como headcovers are great, but just too pricy.

I have always wondered if the reverse is true too. Are there American products/clubs that are not available in Japan that the Japanese golfer seeks out?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

First impressions are good, but i want to play a little more with it before i write a bigger review. Its crazy cold here, so as soon as the weather gets better ill make a couple of more rounds and see if it stays good

Golf is suppoused to be hard!

Some of the Japanese accessories are quite nice and unique. Como como headcovers are great, but just too pricy.

I have always wondered if the reverse is true too. Are there American products/clubs that are not available in Japan that the Japanese golfer seeks out?

Como come HCs are the only Japanese product I've ever actually dropped cash for. They made a monkey HC a couple years ago (?) that I bought immediately because I knew my wife would love it. She gets comments on it every single time we play golf. They're definitely not cheap though.

I would assume so, otherwise why would they make Japan only products.

• SPY VIP

I would assume so, otherwise why would they make Japan only products.

We don't get the Japan only stuff, but I think that all of the US stuff is available in Japan. No US-Only.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Como come HCs are the only Japanese product I've ever actually dropped cash for. They made a monkey HC a couple years ago (?) that I bought immediately because I knew my wife would love it. She gets comments on it every single time we play golf. They're definitely not cheap though.

I had a bunch of tarantulas in my classroom when I taught high school. Somehow the spider became cool to me. Cameron's halloween cover is the only spider cover besides the como come one that I have found. I think that the TM Spider may have cornered that market. Can't tell you how much I wanted to like the spider when it was released.

Volvo Intorqueo

Japanese pay pretty high prices for what seems to me gimicky products. They also pay very high prices for tiny little cubicles they call home, and I heard thet most Japanese golfers spend their golfing life in the range and hardly ever get a course to play in as it's too expensive.

Japanese have been known to tour abroad and buy Japanese products in the States or whatever other countries they visit as they can buy them cheaper there. But then that was back before the Asian Economic Meltdown. These days I don't often see japanese tourists.

You're not that bad off and a golf club is a golf club if it suits you. The rest is practice.

Shambles

Japanese pay pretty high prices for what seems to me gimicky products. They also pay very high prices for tiny little cubicles they call home, and I heard thet most Japanese golfers spend their golfing life in the range and hardly ever get a course to play in as it's too expensive.

Japanese have been known to tour abroad and buy Japanese products in the States or whatever other countries they visit as they can buy them cheaper there. But then that was back before the Asian Economic Meltdown. These days I don't often see japanese tourists.

You're not that bad off and a golf club is a golf club if it suits you. The rest is practice.

Shambles

They make small everything. Have you seen their cars?

I don't understand the Japanese market either and OEM's don't offer some of the same clubs here. I thinks it's a missed opportunity on their part.

BTW, +2 on the head covers. I've seen some of the stuff on TourSpec and drooled over it. Very cool (and expensive) way to make a bag unique.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I don't understand the Japanese market either and OEM's don't offer some of the same clubs here. I thinks it's a missed opportunity on their part.

BTW, +2 on the head covers. I've seen some of the stuff on TourSpec and drooled over it. Very cool (and expensive) way to make a bag unique.

Although some of the models may be more suited to the Japanese preferences stated earlier (wall hanger type driver) I would think that a company would sell anything everywhere. More consumers means more money. Granted I last took econ in high school...

Volvo Intorqueo

Although some of the models may be more suited to the Japanese preferences stated earlier (wall hanger type driver) I would think that a company would sell anything everywhere. More consumers means more money. Granted I last took econ in high school...

Well, I took econ in college and still can't figure it out. But hopefully somebody who works for the OEMS or does business in Japan is lurking and would be willing to share some insight.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

They make small everything. Have you seen their cars?

Small everything is the operative word for a large population living in a land poor country but having a very advanced economy. One of the things I miss about the states is getting in my car and just driving somewhere with no specific destination. How I yearn for those open roads of long ago. Living shoulder to shoulder isn't fun for me.

Shambles

• SPY VIP

Small everything is the operative word for a large population living in a land poor country but having a very advanced economy. One of the things I miss about the states is getting in my car and just driving somewhere with no specific destination. How I yearn for those open roads of long ago. Living shoulder to shoulder isn't fun for me.

Shambles

Are you there now? I was always curious about the 'coffin' hotels. Like a big building full of train sleeping berths?

Volvo Intorqueo

Are you there now? I was always curious about the 'coffin' hotels. Like a big building full of train sleeping berths?

Not at all. It's a very expensive place to be even for an American income. I understand the American mission in Tokyo tries to hide in the American facilities as an economic refuge and only come out for real reasons or for items they truly want. :lol:

Japan has very good products that are truly advanced and if we could afford them I'm fairly certain they would innundate the market. However the Japanese citizen does pay a very high tax for everything and much of the cost of purchases in Japan are due to the high wages and high taxes. My knowledge of Japan is now dated as is my knowledge of the States and other parts of the world. I have become insular and parochial with age and content myself with my home and personal activities.

The coffin hotel filled a niche in the market part of whom was for workers who failed to commute for home early enough and needed to sleep so that they could report for work in shape. Many Tokyo employees face long commutes to be able to get to a home they can better afford with better conditions, at least in my dated knowledge, but pay for that with hefty commute time. It isn't a matter of driving home except for the very very wealthy. Parking is a nightmare. Something like NYC but many times worse. Hong Kong has something like that but worse. What I saw was a large bed space caged with storm wire that you could lock. People actually rent them as living spaces.

Shambles

• SPY VIP

Not at all. It's a very expensive place to be even for an American income. I understand the American mission in Tokyo tries to hide in the American facilities as an economic refuge and only come out for real reasons or for items they truly want. :P

Japan has very good products that are truly advanced and if we could afford them I'm fairly certain they would innundate the market. However the Japanese citizen does pay a very high tax for everything and much of the cost of purchases in Japan are due to the high wages and high taxes. My knowledge of Japan is now dated as is my knowledge of the States and other parts of the world. I have become insular and parochial with age and content myself with my home and personal activities.

The coffin hotel filled a niche in the market part of whom was for workers who failed to commute for home early enough and needed to sleep so that they could report for work in shape. Many Tokyo employees face long commutes to be able to get to a home they can better afford with better conditions, at least in my dated knowledge, but pay for that with hefty commute time. It isn't a matter of driving home except for the very very wealthy. Parking is a nightmare. Something like NYC but many times worse. Hong Kong has something like that but worse. What I saw was a large bed space caged with storm wire that you could lock. People actually rent them as living spaces.

Shambles

Thanks for the insight. Your knowledge is appreciated as obviously my knowledge of the true day to day in Japan is lacking. Thanks again.

Volvo Intorqueo

Not at all. It's a very expensive place to be even for an American income. I understand the American mission in Tokyo tries to hide in the American facilities as an economic refuge and only come out for real reasons or for items they truly want. :)

Shambles

Thank you for sharing you knowledge. That's very interesting that people use these hotels like second homes to avoid the commute. I'm assuming that they live far from work simply because there isn't anywhere closer to live that's affordable?

Archived