Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Taylormade Supermax Irons (Cavity)

GolfSpy_X

I actually don't hate the design.

It looks like their "inverted cone" cavity from the r7 line coupled with that "extended X" (or "Y tuning port, or stabilizer bar... can't remember anymore) that Mizuno put out a few years back. I think it was the MX-1000's, but only about 55% sure on that one.

The problem I have is, what's a lefty to do? If they go with a 43* PW, they don't a;ways make a 47* "GW" (or as I like to call it, a PW...) in the lefty version. So what do we do then?

I reread Tom Wishon's "The Right Sticks" (a great book, by the way) where he talks about the "vanishing loft disease". TM is following the model to a T. But what I had forgetten was, as the lofts of the irons get stronger and the lengths get longer, the long irons get harder to hit. Yesteryear's 3 iron is more closely related to a 5 iron now. Sow they're screwing us twofold:

1. The long irons, for the average golfer, are harder to hit. They have since been replaced with the (more expensive) hybrid. Now, that isn't a criticism of the hybrid, but if they'd have left the lofts alone, people wouldn't need the extra 1, 2, or 3 hybrids.

2. Since the spacing between the PW and its more stabile (in terms of loft) relative the SW has grown, it has forced us into buying the "GW". Again, if they'd have left well enough alone, it wouldn't be that way.

I'm basically praphrasing, but you get the idea. If anyone hasn't read this book... you should. That and Frank Thomas' (former Technical Director for the USGA, wrote articles for Golf Digest, invented the graphite shaft and has his own putter design) "Just Hit It" are fascinating reads. But I should warn you, and I'm not trying to be snarky, but they will challenge some of (most) everyone's beliefs about equipment. I know it did mine.

Weight distribution on the back looks like the Adams irons and an MX 200 combined. Take the cut back cavity design of the MX200 from Mizuno and then the Cavity of the Adams irons and there you have the new R9 iron...

Although I agree that I don't hate it.

mizuno-mx-200.jpg

adams a4.jpg

THE CLUB FIX

Proud Sponsor of MyGolfSpy

www.TheClubFix.com

Offering: Whitlam Gauge Design, Miura, Kyoei Forged, Scratch, Adams, Bridgestone, Tourstage, Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Cleveland, Mizuno, Simpac, Yonex, Onoff, Srixon, Honma, Fourteen, Nike, Mitsubishi, Aldila, Accra, KB Tour, True Temper, Aerotech Steelfiber, Rifle, Project X, Graphite Design, Oban, Fierce, Grafalloy, Fujikura, just ask me I can get it ;)

My email: [email protected]

Feel free to email me any golf questions and I'll be happy to get back to you.

oh my, taylormade is putting the word "super" in the name of a "new" club? how original.....

^^ sarcasm....

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

;)

I wonder if he studied Steve Jobs speeches before going on stage.

I was his speech writer. He fired me because I wanted him to say it 37 times, when he only wanted to say it 35 times...

If you've ever watched Red Vs. Blue, it makes more sense. Awesome show.

Weight distribution on the back looks like the Adams irons and an MX 200 combined. Take the cut back cavity design of the MX200 from Mizuno and then the Cavity of the Adams irons and there you have the new R9 iron...

Although I agree that I don't hate it.

Don't particularly care for the TM...The Mizzy and the Adams are both much easier on the eyes and something I'd be more likely to keep more than a couple years.

I really, really, want to trade my Burner Irons in for Wilsons. I am just tired of Taylor Made and everything they do and market and change, and reinvent. I may actually do this, this weekend. I really want to hit the G15s also, but don't want to lay out a lot of money for the difference.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like their "inverted cone" cavity from the r7 line coupled with that "extended X" (or "Y tuning port, or stabilizer bar... can't remember anymore) that Mizuno put out a few years back. I think it was the MX-1000's, but only about 55% sure on that one.

The problem I have is, what's a lefty to do? If they go with a 43* PW, they don't a;ways make a 47* "GW" (or as I like to call it, a PW...) in the lefty version. So what do we do then?

I reread Tom Wishon's "The Right Sticks" (a great book, by the way) where he talks about the "vanishing loft disease". TM is following the model to a T. But what I had forgetten was, as the lofts of the irons get stronger and the lengths get longer, the long irons get harder to hit. Yesteryear's 3 iron is more closely related to a 5 iron now. Sow they're screwing us twofold:

1. The long irons, for the average golfer, are harder to hit. They have since been replaced with the (more expensive) hybrid. Now, that isn't a criticism of the hybrid, but if they'd have left the lofts alone, people wouldn't need the extra 1, 2, or 3 hybrids.

2. Since the spacing between the PW and its more stabile (in terms of loft) relative the SW has grown, it has forced us into buying the "GW". Again, if they'd have left well enough alone, it wouldn't be that way.

I'm basically praphrasing, but you get the idea. If anyone hasn't read this book... you should. That and Frank Thomas' (former Technical Director for the USGA, wrote articles for Golf Digest, invented the graphite shaft and has his own putter design) "Just Hit It" are fascinating reads. But I should warn you, and I'm not trying to be snarky, but they will challenge some of (most) everyone's beliefs about equipment. I know it did mine.

Good post. I tried a set of R7 XD's when I fell off the Ping wagon about five years ago. The aggressive lofts in the short irons completely screwed with my short game. Even with a gap wedge, the gaps between clubs were pretty ridiculous.

The long iron issue wasn't as big of a deal for me because I replaced them with easier to hit hybrids anyways. But, I completely agree with you 100%.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived