TESTERS WANTED! ×

NEW Titleist AVX Premium Golf Ball

epsanche23

The pro shop that I visit on a regular basis gave me 2 of these to try for feedback.  I always start with chipping/pitching.  To me this is where I need the ball to perform.  I saw very similar performance to my Z-Star.  I couldn't say 1 was a clear winner over the other.  Moving back to hitting iron shots, I noticed that the AVX was at least 5 yards longer, sometimes 10+ yards.  It looked like the ball just had less spin off the irons.  This kind of concerns me as I want to make sure it holds the greens.  I noticed the same low spin with the driver. 

After playing a few rounds with it, I went and did some research on it and it's geared more towards lower swings speeds.  The lower compression was giving me some of the inconsistencies in distance.  Honestly, I won't be switching to this ball over my Z-Star.  After doing some research, I would be curious to put it up against the Q-Star Tour.  How anyone done that comparison?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pro shop that I visit on a regular basis gave me 2 of these to try for feedback. I always start with chipping/pitching. To me this is where I need the ball to perform. I saw very similar performance to my Z-Star. I couldn't say 1 was a clear winner over the other. Moving back to hitting iron shots, I noticed that the AVX was at least 5 yards longer, sometimes 10+ yards. It looked like the ball just had less spin off the irons. This kind of concerns me as I want to make sure it holds the greens. I noticed the same low spin with the driver.

After playing a few rounds with it, I went and did some research on it and it's geared more towards lower swings speeds. The lower compression was giving me some of the inconsistencies in distance. Honestly, I won't be switching to this ball over my Z-Star. After doing some research, I would be curious to put it up against the Q-Star Tour. How anyone done that comparison?

I would like that also.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

$48 won't buy a “nice” bottle. Maybe a decent. A nice shot of the good stuff cost you $20 or so around here

Blake

Costco just released their 20 yr speyside again. For $55 it's money. 20 yrs in ex bourbon barrels, finished 6 month in Sherry. Great scotch at that price. Drinks like a 12-14 yr Macallan/Oban, but a smoother finish. All around great value.

I had a chance to play AVX's tonight that I won on an MGS Facebook giveaway. I really, really liked the ball....

A lot.

I would swear this ball was made for me.

Greenside feel is very good and rollout is pretty predictable (to me that means similar to the MTB Red). It was pretty windy this evening by Ohio standards and I only had one shot that was dramatically effected by the wind (ballooned a bit) but I hit it off the toe so that was probably my fault. Distance was a bit longer for all clubs - I hit a 6i 188 yards (which hasn't happened in a long, long time). Unfortunately, that was way long on a par 3 and in a bush for an unplayable. Trajectory was pretty high off irons for me which resulted in a few shots into greens backing up a good amount. I didn't hit any drivers tonight - all 3w and 3h off the tee. Flight was perhaps a bit lower than normal off the woods with longer overall distance.

I will add that I was hitting my irons much better than I have in a couple years, so I'm not going to claim it was the ball just yet. We'll see. Unfortunately, even if it ends up being the ball, $48/dozen is still way too much for some one that loses as many balls as I do, so it won't be a gamer until either a) I stop losing so many balls, B) price point comes down to a more reasonable level, or c) I become independently wealthy. Neither will happen any time soon so I'll stick with the Snell and be happy having it in my bag.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to play AVX's tonight that I won on an MGS Facebook giveaway. I really, really liked the ball....

A lot.

I would swear this ball was made for me.

Greenside feel is very good and rollout is pretty predictable (to me that means similar to the MTB Red). It was pretty windy this evening by Ohio standards and I only had one shot that was dramatically effected by the wind (ballooned a bit) but I hit it off the toe so that was probably my fault. Distance was a bit longer for all clubs - I hit a 6i 188 yards (which hasn't happened in a long, long time). Unfortunately, that was way long on a par 3 and in a bush for an unplayable. Trajectory was pretty high off irons for me which resulted in a few shots into greens backing up a good amount. I didn't hit any drivers tonight - all 3w and 3h off the tee. Flight was perhaps a bit lower than normal off the woods with longer overall distance.

I will add that I was hitting my irons much better than I have in a couple years, so I'm not going to claim it was the ball just yet. We'll see. Unfortunately, even if it ends up being the ball, $48/dozen is still way too much for some one that loses as many balls as I do, so it won't be a gamer until either a) I stop losing so many balls, B) price point comes down to a more reasonable level, or c) I become independently wealthy. Neither will happen any time soon so I'll stick with the Snell and be happy having it in my bag.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Still over $40, but you can get them for $43/doz, 2 dozen minimum, no tax, no shipping, from Discount Dan's golf, and that's an everyday price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Agree, I have been a little mini test of AVX, Pro V & Chrome Soft. Pro V not for me, distance OK but not enough. AVX distance & feel pretty good BUT both the ProV & AVX can't justify the price tag. Chrome Soft is the winner on distance/feel and price, $31.00.

Yea, I'm on a chrome soft test stretch for about 15 rounds now. I gotta say, it's one hell of a ball. (These are last years - fro $30 a doz) but they goo pretty far, and spin well, and putt soft. What's not to like?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Found one on the course a few weeks ago. Got about half a round i with the ball before It found a watery place to rest.

Ball flight and distance were good. Can't evaluate spin around the greens as they were wet and every ball stopped or spin back some.

Watched a couple of TXG videos on ball comparisons that included the AVX and i would say their evaluation is pretty spot on with lower ball flight and spin compared to comparable models by other manufacturers.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I happened upon a sleeve of these and tried them down in Myrtle on bermuda and back home in PA on bent. The distance was somewhat astonishing. It was a good bit longer than my normal Bridgestone tour. I was not really impressed by the spin off the wedges around the green. However, I would say is that the performance on the bermuda was very good, but on my club's small, fast, bentgrass greens it was tough to control distance and runout consistently.

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing these balls about two months ago and it has become my ball of choice. I've noticed gains in distance on both my driver and irons (more noticeable on my middle irons). It has less spin around the green than a Pro V but it's not significant enough to make a difference to me. The ball has a softer feel which I like. I would recommend trying this ball if you prefer a premium ball.

Sent from my VS995 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I didn't see another post when searching for AVX, so thought I'd add my recent experience with them.  Last week, I signed up for a Ball Fitting with Titleist at my local course.  Playing with the right ball had always been a big question for me as I have always purchased on the frugal, mid-grade level vs. probably what was right for me.

They had me hit a shot with Wedge aiming for a 50 yard shot first, then a 7 iron, then a driver.  With each club, I had a grouping of balls that had different dots on them.  After each club, I spoke with the person giving the fitting about the stats on the Trackman that was seen with each shot, the difference in the balls, and how each one felt (The others were Pro V1's and DT Truesoft). 

I was really surprised by the AVX balls.  I traditionally have a higher flight ball that is accurate, but I'm losing distance as I'm usually a club or two longer than most other players at the same distance.  This ball had a soft feel, where I could get a nice spin on it with my wedge, but could see it taking some of the upper trajectory off my iron and giving me more distance.  I had about the same spin rate with my Driver across all 3 balls, but the AVX was definitely about 12 yards longer and had a different landing angle.

It looks like they retail for around $48/dozen, which to me is expensive, but I've noticed I don't lose as many balls as I used to so I think it may worth trying out.  I got a couple samples from them, so will post more once I get a round in with them. 

Curious if anyone else has hit them yet?

Finally got a full round in with these AVX.  1st two holes, my drive was 20 yards longer than my usual landing spot.  Unfortunately, it didn't translate to me to use less club on my irons with what I would have used in the past sitting at those landing spots, and overshot both greens by 15 yards.  1st hole I was 105 to the pin, normally use a PW; 2nd hole was 125 hard uphill, normally use an 8i.  Coming back onto the greens with my 46/8 wedge had some good feel and spin, and pulled off some nice recovery shots to be 1 over after two.

Once I realized the distance I could get from these balls, it completely changed my thought process and approach after those holes.  I was hitting fairways, 15-25 yards longer, and able to take one (sometimes two) clubs less into the green not just on the longer drive, but less club for more distance on the approaches.  That small difference of using shorter irons (even wedges) into the green had me hitting more greens and birdie/par putts instead of par/bogey putts.

Also noticed how the ball doesn't scuff or mark-up as much, so nice to see it may last longer too since it's a more costly ball.

Need to compare it to a round with the DT TrueSoft now, but very happy with the AVX ball and how it can change my game play.  

4-PW Nike Vapor Fly Steel Irons, True Temper ZT 85-PT Shafts, Regular Flex, Standard Length, +2 Degree Upright

Nike Vaport Fly Drive 9.5 Degree Left Tensi-Stiff Shaft

Ping Anser 17 Degree TFC Standard Felx 800-H Shaft

Mizuno 3 Wood 15 Degree 5-50 Graphite Shaft Shipped to Florida Set

TOUR EDGE GOLF CBX FAIRWAY - 13.5* - STIFF FLEX - #3 FAIRWAY [PROJECT X HZRDUS YELLOW 6.0 75 GRAPHITE]

35'' Odyssey Works 9 Putter  with Superstroke Slim Grip

Cleveland 588-RTX 52/10 

Titlest BV SM4 Vokey 60/10

Callaway MD3 Milled S-Grind 46/8

Finally got a full round in with these AVX. 1st two holes, my drive was 20 yards longer than my usual landing spot. Unfortunately, it didn't translate to me to use less club on my irons with what I would have used in the past sitting at those landing spots, and overshot both greens by 15 yards. 1st hole I was 105 to the pin, normally use a PW; 2nd hole was 125 hard uphill, normally use an 8i. Coming back onto the greens with my 46/8 wedge had some good feel and spin, and pulled off some nice recovery shots to be 1 over after two.

Once I realized the distance I could get from these balls, it completely changed my thought process and approach after those holes. I was hitting fairways, 15-25 yards longer, and able to take one (sometimes two) clubs less into the green not just on the longer drive, but less club for more distance on the approaches. That small difference of using shorter irons (even wedges) into the green had me hitting more greens and birdie/par putts instead of par/bogey putts.

Also noticed how the ball doesn't scuff or mark-up as much, so nice to see it may last longer too since it's a more costly ball.

Need to compare it to a round with the DT TrueSoft now, but very happy with the AVX ball and how it can change my game play.

I had the same problem when I first started using this ball. I was hitting the iron I was accustomed to hitting instead of taking the lower spin rate of this ball into mind. Once I was smart enough to realize it (took me a full 18 holes, I never claimed to be a quick learner), I was hooked by this ball.

Sent from my VS995 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've been gaming the AVX for about a month now. I've been really impressed by the results I've been seeing. I'm naturally a high flight ball guy and coupling that with the ProV1 often lead to a lot of spin when approaching greens. I've found that I've been spinning 1/4 of what I used to which is big for me. Off the driver face I've not really noticed much distance difference but I have noticed I've been hitting more fairways. I'll be gaming this ball going forward.

$41 for one dozen, $40 ea if you buy 2 dozen, $39 ea if you buy 3 dozen!!!! Same for yellow!

You're welcome!!!!

https://www.funedirect.com/Titleist-AVX-Dozen-Golf-Balls-White-Number-1-2-3-4-p114532804

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Archived