TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ditch the golf uniform

mruuska

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Dry-tech style slacks- with the open cuff.  I have several pair (black, dark blue, grey and kaki).

Lots of dry-tech shirts, most collared, as well as a few of the older cotton style, for cooler weather.

Oh, I have a white belt, too - cloth, with the Sea Island logo on it- and I do wear it often.  Have another with my club logo, but it is a bit threadbare at this point, probably need to invest in another.

As many have said, style is in the eyes of the beholder- be comfortable, able to play your game, and be comfortable with yourself- one less thing to worry about on the course, because (at least for most of us) we aren't sponsored- so don't feel like you have to match logos.

And, If  I ever get down to single digits, I may just treat myself to a set of Loud Mouth Slacks, too! Just for fun!

open cuff.jpg

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I like the Dry-tech style slacks- with the open cuff. I have several pair (black, dark blue, grey and kaki).

Lots of dry-tech shirts, most collared, as well as a few of the older cotton style, for cooler weather.

Oh, I have a white belt, too - cloth, with the Sea Island logo on it- and I do wear it often. Have another with my club logo, but it is a bit threadbare at this point, probably need to invest in another.

As many have said, style is in the eyes of the beholder- be comfortable, able to play your game, and be comfortable with yourself- one less thing to worry about on the course, because (at least for most of us) we aren't sponsored- so don't feel like you have to match logos.

And, If I ever get down to single digits, I may just treat myself to a set of Loud Mouth Slacks, too! Just for fun!

Who makes those pants? I have a hard time finding golf pants I can afford that look good to me.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Living in SE Texas, unless it is winter (which we do not have much of) pretty hard for me to go from the office to the course without changing clothes.  Too hot for slacks most of the year.  And, I work in an office and wear long sleeve button down collar shirts to work.  I always carry a change of clothes for golf in a bag in my truck along with golf shoes and socks.  I do go prepared just in case I go play directly from the office. 

As far as white belts are concerned (I am 71 years old BTW), when I was up in the 235 to 245# range, I would not wear a white belt on a bet.  Now that I weigh in the mid 160s, yes I own a white belt.  Only wear it with white or mostly white shoes and as long as it is white or light gray shorts.  Do not care for wearing it with anything that makes it really look contrasting.  My golf attire is pretty conservative.  I mainly wear gray or black shorts and a shirt that matches.  Just makes it a lot easier to pack for trips when you have a stuff that mixes and matches easily.  Hard to do that with khaki and gray or khaki and black.  Blues and blacks do not go well either.  

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

Who makes those pants? I have a hard time finding golf pants I can afford that look good to me.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Not sure who makes the ones in the photo, but I have a pair of UA pants just like that and they're great! Plus it's changing seasons, so may be able to get them on sale

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Totally disagree with the white belt philosophy, I lik the pop of brightness in my blue, black or grey shorts/pants (see avatar).   I'm not gonna lie, I'm a limited budget golfer, perusing Target's Champion line, the UA outlet when there's a good sale, Costco and Izod, (who happens to make awesome pants). I did splurge on a pair of Royal & Awesome shorts, but it was at a charity auction. 

While I do appreciate the look, I personally can't get behind  the $60-80+ polos and $35+ hats.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I like to play dress-up a bit myself. Golf to me is an event, and also, if I look good, I'll feel good. Many "clubs" in our area are a bit lax in the dress code, but many others are not and still require at least a collared shirt which is how I came up to understand the minimums. Heck one time while visiting in Colorado 2-years ago, my brother-in-law decided at the last minute to hit the links but I had not packed any Polo's. So I wound up having to buy one off the rack at the pro shop for $50+!!! Wife not happy...

Since then and only recently as I've began to acquire my own gear, getting proper (to me anyhow) attire to play in has been a fun little exercise.

I've gotten several great USA made shirts of varying drab colors and subdued designs off of eBay-generally the Ping & Footjoy variety. My wife has also picked up a couple of nice Nike ones for me at the discount stores (her memory is long it seems...).

Poking around at Golf Galaxy, I found some very nice Walter Hagen "11 Majors" khaki slacks on sale that I really like-especially the "grip" waistband that keeps my fat-guy shirt tucked in. I walked out of there only paying like $30 for those and they retailed for over $70! Got a pair of the same as shorts too off of eBay super cheap and new to boot!

Shoes? Footjoy Classis Tour, either a black pair or a white one and always with Kentwool socks!

For my cover (to the non-Marine crowd, that's a hat), I am a bit of a Ho. I love hats-the more the better. After only really a partial season of "gittin' serious", I've managed to only(!) get 5 total-two loud, plaid pattern retro PING's, and 3 old but good Footjoy's. Mostly new and super cool.

Sunglasses? I am also a retro sunglass freak (80's vintage Vuarnet cat eyes & Ray Ban Wayfarers) but pulled the trigger and got a new pair of the Bolle' Volts with the V3 Golf lenses and black frames per the recent MGS review. Couldn't stand the looks of the Oakley's and the Rudy Projects are just plain hard to find on eBay. I've yet to "game" them as they are a very recent purchase, but I am excited to see how they perform.

There's an old thread out there on MGS about watches. My sickness continues-yes I'm also a watch junkie. I'll wear either of my Tag Heuer's (automatic Aquaracer or quartz F1 chronograph), or I'll sport my 10'th anniversary gift from the wife that is a white-faced Tissot chronograph. Got another Tag in the queue-their new F1 in blue and orange-GO BRONCOS! (BSU that is...)

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

There's an old thread out there on MGS about watches. My sickness continues-yes I'm also a watch junkie. I'll wear either of my Tag Heuer's (automatic Aquaracer or quartz F1 chronograph), or I'll sport my 10'th anniversary gift from the wife that is a white-faced Tissot chronograph. Got another Tag in the queue-their new F1 in blue and orange-GO BRONCOS! (BSU that is...)

Every once in a while my wife complains about the number of watches I have - I dutifully remind her about the number of earrings she has which total a lot more than my watches.

BTW it's 'covers' in the Navy as well

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Every once in a while my wife complains about the number of watches I have - I dutifully remind her about the number of earrings she has which total a lot more than my watches.

BTW it's 'covers' in the Navy as well

Thank-you for your service Sir! Hope you had a great Veteran's Day last week

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Especially when you count earrings singly!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 months later...

Good article on golf  wear.  I am pretty old school, when it comes to dressing up for the course. My colors vary, mostly blues,grays, but will venture into red and green, and others.. Pants are usually black, gray, navy blue or tan. No white or red pants for me. They look fine on other guys, just not me. The old school part really comes into play on this aspect of dress. 50 or so years ago, when my late Father started me into golf, his words still ring in my ears..."Dungarees are for the farm, and shorts are for the beach." So from then until now, I have never worn either on the course. Having legs like a chicken, swayed  me away from shorts , also. I was surprised to hear after Justin Thomas's great year, he did not wear shorts on the course, either. To all those, that wear shorts, I have not one problem with it. You look fine, and your legs look better than mine. Jeans on the other hand, are still absolutely,unequivocally taboo, to me, still.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

I found that most people (men and women) dress appropriately on the courses I've played. We never wear jeans except in the off season - 45* temps are a little tough on shorts or long golf pants.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Good article on golf wear. I am pretty old school, when it comes to dressing up for the course. My colors vary, mostly blues,grays, but will venture into red and green, and others.. Pants are usually black, gray, navy blue or tan. No white or red pants for me. They look fine on other guys, just not me. The old school part really comes into play on this aspect of dress. 50 or so years ago, when my late Father started me into golf, his words still ring in my ears..."Dungarees are for the farm, and shorts are for the beach." So from then until now, I have never worn either on the course. Having legs like a chicken, swayed me away from shorts , also. I was surprised to hear after Justin Thomas's great year, he did not wear shorts on the course, either. To all those, that wear shorts, I have not one problem with it. You look fine, and your legs look better than mine. Jeans on the other hand, are still absolutely,unequivocally taboo, to me, still.

Jeans are acceptable attire here and there is a relatively strict code, why? Rumor is The founder of the Villages ALWAYS wore jeans and years ago when they started the courses he allowed jeans. His dollars his rules.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Jeans are acceptable attire here and there is a relatively strict code, why? Rumor is The founder of the Villages ALWAYS wore jeans and years ago when they started the courses he allowed jeans. His dollars his rules.

I'm still old school also. Blue seems predominant color. I don't ever want to look like an old Rodney Dangerfield.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm old, I wear what I want, lol. I have a lot of polos, all different designs and colours. My wife travels for work fairly frequently and usually gets me a golf shirt or two. I do tend to wear a lot of black, jackets and pants that is. Most of the shorts I wear are plaid. No white belts though.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

When I got to FL 6 years ago I went to one of the practice greens to do a little chipping & putting. I had decent shorts and an up scale T shirt, no printing of stupid saying just a clean T. Up comes a Ranger a Fred a while and started a conversation and realized I had just moved in that week and had not even played a round as yet. Well it seems someone ratted me out to the Ranger as a rule breaker for not having a collared shirt. He told to finish practicing no rush but gotta have a collar. He was apologetic and seemed embarrassed.

Rick

Left Hand, 

When I got to FL 6 years ago I went to one of the practice greens to do a little chipping & putting. I had decent shorts and an up scale T shirt, no printing of stupid saying just a clean T. Up comes a Ranger a Fred a while and started a conversation and realized I had just moved in that week and had not even played a round as yet. Well it seems someone ratted me out to the Ranger as a rule breaker for not having a collared shirt. He told to finish practicing no rush but gotta have a collar. He was apologetic and seemed embarrassed.

My one local course I like to practice at didn't even let me buy coins for the ball dispenser because I was wearing a t-shirt. They made me go find a polo in my truck before they would give me the coins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My one local course I like to practice at didn't even let me buy coins for the ball dispenser because I was wearing a t-shirt. They made me go find a polo in my truck before they would give me the coins.

same thing here on the ranges which I understand, kinda. But the putting green I was on is an obscure neighborhood green. Rules are rules.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I wonder why golf has such an elitist stigma attached to it? :rolleyes:

Seriously? A collared shirt at a driving range?? Wow...

Wonder what they would have said if you were wearing one of those new Nike shirts without a collar.

Sent from a bunker filled with mana

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I'm not a fan of jeans on the course. Also, if I go to the golf course driving range, I'll wear the collared shirt. If I'm at the range just down the street is casual

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Seriously? A collared shirt at a driving range?? Wow...

Wonder what they would have said if you were wearing one of those new Nike shirts without a collar.

I'm pretty sure I posted this before, but I remember playing a new course here in the Bay Area in wintertime back in the early 2000's, when David Duval was at the top of his game. It was an expensive round of golf, around $100 but my buddy heard it was a great new course and we should play it.

So I go to check in wearing nice slacks, a Nike David Duval mock turtleneck and a Ping golf jacket. The guy working tells me I need a collared shirt. I'm wearing a shirt from the Nike Golf Collection and it's under a jacket so no one is even going to see it but the jack**s is hassling me about a collared shirt, in February!

Never went back and now I get a laugh whenever I get an email from them with all their discounted greens fees. Guess business isn't so good.

Now, it's my tan or grey flat front dad pants from Old Navy or cargo shorts and whatever collared golf shirts I find on sale.

I wear flannel shirts almost everyday in the winter, I think those need to make it into my golf wardrobe soon.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I'm pretty sure I posted this before, but I remember playing a new course here in the Bay Area in wintertime back in the early 2000's, when David Duval was at the top of his game. It was an expensive round of golf, around $100 but my buddy heard it was a great new course and we should play it.

So I go to check in wearing nice slacks, a Nike David Duval mock turtleneck and a Ping golf jacket. The guy working tells me I need a collared shirt. I'm wearing a shirt from the Nike Golf Collection and it's under a jacket so no one is even going to see it but the jack**s is hassling me about a collared shirt, in February!

Never went back and now I get a laugh whenever I get an email from them with all their discounted greens fees. Guess business isn't so good.

Now, it's my tan or grey flat front dad pants from Old Navy or cargo shorts and whatever collared golf shirts I find on sale.

I wear flannel shirts almost everyday in the winter, I think those need to make it into my golf wardrobe soon.

Had not heard that... hilarious... Golf can be really dumb sometimes.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Do you play baseball without a baseball hat? Football without pads? Soccer without “soccer shorts”? Fence without that cool mask? Drive nascar without that fire proof suit? Sky dive without a parachute? Dive without oxygen?

I wouldn't.

I see where you coming from and most times I hit the range I will wear what I play in. My post was I just wanted to buy the coins for the dispenser and couldn't.

Archived