TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ditch the golf uniform

mruuska

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why golf has such an elitist stigma attached to it? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it's “elitist” thing. Maybe at some Private Courses it is. Or is it they just looking for a presentable appearance. I don't have a problem with that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Golf costs enough without the $400.00 outfit.

True, but it doesn't cost a fortune to look presentable.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I can't remember the last time I wore anything but shorts & golf shirt or a tee shirt.

Retirement is a beautiful thing.

So is working for a tech company. Hilarious how I was in ties 25 years ago when I graduated from college, and now it's PJs when I'm working from home, t-shirts and jeans in the office. I can't bring myself to wear jeans when I'm on-site with a customer, but plenty of my compatriots do, and it's no big deal.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I was thinking if I had come up your way to stick a peg in the ground and saw you with pink laces in ya shoes, I might run the other way... :blink:   Then I finished your post and I am mighty proud of you for wearing those pink laces.  You da man STU!

I wear laid back  simple colors and I generally wear black shoes in the winter.  I don't like to go mud bogging in white stuff....

Real men wear pink. I always have a couple pink shirts in the closet. My mom is a breast cancer survivor.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Totally disagree with the white belt philosophy, I lik the pop of brightness in my blue, black or grey shorts/pants (see avatar).   I'm not gonna lie, I'm a limited budget golfer, perusing Target's Champion line, the UA outlet when there's a good sale, Costco and Izod, (who happens to make awesome pants). I did splurge on a pair of Royal & Awesome shorts, but it was at a charity auction. 

While I do appreciate the look, I personally can't get behind  the $60-80+ polos and $35+ hats.

+1 on the Izod pants. I have three pairs of them. Two of which look good enough to wear as dress pants (wife approved). Always hit up Izod outlet stores when you see them. They're practically paying you to take the pants.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I see where you coming from and most times I hit the range I will wear what I play in. My post was I just wanted to buy the coins for the dispenser and couldn't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In that case... i'd find another place. Same thing with the nicer course here. I'm not in their club, so I get weird looks when I go in there. I'd really like to play there, but I refuse to deal with A-Holes. Especially when I could give most of them a run for their money on the course.

+1 on the Izod pants. I have three pairs of them. Two of which look good enough to wear as dress pants (wife approved). Always hit up Izod outlet stores when you see them. They're practically paying you to take the pants.

Izod shorts are good also and marked down to decent prices.

Rick

Left Hand, 

In that case... i'd find another place. Same thing with the nicer course here. I'm not in their club, so I get weird looks when I go in there. I'd really like to play there, but I refuse to deal with A-Holes. Especially when I could give most of them a run for their money on the course.

Worst part is they have the nicest chipping area and practice bunker in the area. Best part is my new job is taking me further south by an hour so I will be playing new courses and won't practice at that course any more.

Worst part is they have the nicest chipping area and practice bunker in the area. Best part is my new job is taking me further south by an hour so I will be playing new courses and won't practice at that course any more.

Same here, but I'm hoping to be about 21 hours South. 🏌️

I'm not sure if it's “elitist” thing. Maybe at some Private Courses it is. Or is it they just looking for a presentable appearance. I don't have a problem with that.

Elitist was probably the wrong word. Snobby, maybe?

I agree 100% about looking presentable. I never go to the course looking like a slob in dirty, ripped pants and a wrinkled, worn out shitrt. I wear clean clothes that are appropriate for golf.

That means I don't wear $70.00 polo shirts that I would freak out over if I got a little dirt on it. Same goes for pants. Why would you wear expensive dress wear (casual or not) to play a game where there is a very good chance to get them stained and ruined? I don't have that kind of disposable income. I'm sure quite a lot of you do.... and that's fine if that's how you like to dress.

Al I'm saying is no one should be looked down upon because they wear simpler, less expensive clothes to play golf in. Face it, golf has an "appearance" problem with almost anyone that doesn't play because of the "snob/elite" stigma attached to it....... mostly because of attitudes about clothing and cost.... and the "you don't belong here" because you aren't in a lofty enough income bracket, so you must be a cretin.

Golf has problems, and clothing is just one of them.

I agree S&B... I grew up next to Bay Harbor (you can google it) but it's a massive community that revolves around a hole snobs. Personally I think the “cheap” polo's without logos, weird material, etc. look better than any $70 shirt.

Definitely won't be growing the game with $170+ each per iron. And $500+ drivers.

I agree 100% about looking presentable. I never go to the course looking like a slob in dirty, ripped pants and a wrinkled, worn out shitrt. I wear clean clothes that are appropriate for golf.

That means I don't wear $70.00 polo shirts that I would freak out over if I got a little dirt on it. Same goes for pants. Why would you wear expensive dress wear (casual or not) to play a game where there is a very good chance to get them stained and ruined? I don't have that kind of disposable income. I'm sure quite a lot of you do.... and that's fine if that's how you like to dress.

Al I'm saying is no one should be looked down upon because they wear simpler, less expensive clothes to play golf in. Face it, golf has an "appearance" problem with almost anyone that doesn't play because of the "snob/elite" stigma attached to it....... mostly because of attitudes about clothing and cost.... and the "you don't belong here" because you aren't in a lofty enough income bracket, so you must be a cretin.

I have run into the “snobby” crowd in Ct & NY areas. Don't want any part of that crap. FL definitely has some of that snobby stuff but I stay away from it.

SWMBO has a sharp eye for bargains and I don't think she's ever paid full price for ANYTHING! Most of my shirts/shorts are high end but she waits for the sales and then pops them. If a shirt was $70 she probably paid $20 or $25, shorts same thing. She got me golf vests that were $60 for $15 end of season sales.

Rick

Left Hand, 

... Those two sentences cover it. Since I am all about golf and play as much as I can, my wardrobe is pretty much made for the golf course. I have over 25 FJ shirts I mostly picked up on sale for around $20, many with logo's from CC's that ere over stocked. Nice golf slacks and shorts from Alan Flusser I bought at the discount store Steinmart again around $20. I picked those two because they have a nice drape and fit my body well. I like to look nice but never snooty and prefer a floppy hat when the wind allows but go baseball style in the wind. But I think as long as your shirt and pants are clean and presentable it really should not make any difference if they are generic shirts, pants and shorts from Target or something very nice form the pro shop. Personally I would have zero problem with a clean pair of cargo shorts and a tee shirt, but that's me. It should always be about golf and camaraderie, not what kind of clothes you wear. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

There is an interview with John Ashworth (founder of Linksoul & former founder of Ashworth) in this month's GOLF Magazine. His mission is to design clothing that looks good in the office or out on the course. He tries to stay away from "plastic bag" shirts and the breathable stuff, as well as bright colors. I actually really like his idea. Personally, I wear sweaters often, and I try to stick with mostly neutral colors. I don't want to "ditch the golf uniform," but John's mission seems like a great idea.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

If I had no budget I'd go all-in on the linksoul brand for on and off the course

Wow, I was just typing up my post but you beat me to it!

If I had no budget I'd go all-in on the linksoul brand for on and off the course

Interesting you mention them. Our new HP thst is coming on board is coming from Carlsbad and ran a private club out there that has John Ashworth as a member. He said the first thing he would do is being linkssoul in our Pro Shop. I about laughed out loud I'm the interview when he said that. Our GM hasnt heard of them.

Afterward. He asked me about LS. I just said. If you are giving me a hard time on stocking PUMA this year. I want to see your face when you see their product line and prices.

Keep in mind we are a muni thst is less than 5 miles from the docks of Baltimore. Our customer base is retired blue collar workers, contractors that come to play in jeans and work boots at 3pm when they are done. And a younger crowd that has probably never had an occasion to wear a tie anywhere.

Now I think Puma would do OK as they have bright a lot of Solid and subtle colors into its line and any of our players in my age range have commented on how they like my shirts.

And the new sport shoes are priced right in our wheel house.

Stay tuned to this situation!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

There is an interview with John Ashworth (founder of Linksoul & former founder of Ashworth) in this month's GOLF Magazine. His mission is to design clothing that looks good in the office or out on the course. He tries to stay away from "plastic bag" shirts and the breathable stuff, as well as bright colors. I actually really like his idea. Personally, I wear sweaters often, and I try to stick with mostly neutral colors. I don't want to "ditch the golf uniform," but John's mission seems like a great idea.

I love Linksoul's aesthetic and ethic; I hate their pricing. With the sale they're running right now, they're just about at my upper level for pricing.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

...Nice golf slacks and shorts from Alan Flusser I bought at the discount store Steinmart again around $20...

SteinMart is definitely your friend. Same with Marshall's and TJMaxx. Or the holy trinity, as my wife calls them.

If you live in or near an upscale area, don't be afraid to check out the local Goodwill. My 17 year old daughter has found a ton of really good golf clothing there for herself. I'll even find a good shirt there every once in a while. I'm lucky that her fashion sense is "thrift store chic" and that it's cool for her peer group to go thrifting.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I love Linksoul's aesthetic and ethic; I hate their pricing. With the sale they're running right now, they're just about at my upper level for pricing.

Yep, I can't afford Linksoul — in fact, I don't own anything Linksoul. Love the idea, but way overpriced. I own a couple of Ashworth sweaters, but those probably aren't up to par with Linksoul.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

SteinMart is definitely your friend. Same with Marshall's and TJMaxx. Or the holy trinity, as my wife calls them.

If you live in or near an upscale area, don't be afraid to check out the local Goodwill. My 17 year old daughter has found a ton of really good golf clothing there for herself. I'll even find a good shirt there every once in a while. I'm lucky that her fashion sense is "thrift store chic" and that it's cool for her peer group to go thrifting.

Your right, Goodwill is a gold mine for SWMBO! She's come home with golf clothes for me some with tags still on them for $4.00.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Interesting you mention them. Our new HP thst is coming on board is coming from Carlsbad and ran a private club out there that has John Ashworth as a member. He said the first thing he would do is being linkssoul in our Pro Shop. I about laughed out loud I'm the interview when he said that. Our GM hasnt heard of them.

Afterward. He asked me about LS. I just said. If you are giving me a hard time on stocking PUMA this year. I want to see your face when you see their product line and prices.

Keep in mind we are a muni thst is less than 5 miles from the docks of Baltimore. Our customer base is retired blue collar workers, contractors that come to play in jeans and work boots at 3pm when they are done. And a younger crowd that has probably never had an occasion to wear a tie anywhere.

Now I think Puma would do OK as they have bright a lot of Solid and subtle colors into its line and any of our players in my age range have commented on how they like my shirts.

And the new sport shoes are priced right in our wheel house.

Stay tuned to this situation!!

Oh boy This could be funny

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 1 month later...

I have found jackets, vests, sweatshirts and sweaters, T-shirts, skirts, shorts and trousers. Golf caps or special socks and belts. can be dress from head to toe. To hot weather, fresh autumn or winters. In men's, women's and children's from the best brands such as Calvin Klein, A4, Nike, Adidas, Holloway, Anvil, August Sportswear and more on Calibre-Apparel

Archived