mruuska

Ditch the golf uniform

Thanks for posting this article. I read it and agree with some of it, (wait for it) BUT I think this article is targeted for the young golfers. As a middle aged man, I will never wear skinny pants or flat brimmed caps. I don't think any middle aged male should.

Being one of the young golfers the article is referring to, I'd like to clear away any association between myself and skinny pants, or flat brim hats.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5

Mens clothes is mens clothes and not much has changed in 30 years. Unless your JT or Rickie or someone on the smaller slimmer side I disagree with the pants. Loose fitting and light, resting on the shoe tops. That has been the style for ages, only the young hipsters wear that stuff. The rest of us need more flexability and er...ball room.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

I like the white belt. I wear mine often. I'm 34 and it can pull all kinds of clothes together.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I love what he said about the white belts

I have worn the white belt on-course and I need to make the commitment to not do it again! Not because of this article, but I've always felt it was a little over the top. One's belt should match the shoes, but in golf, I try to match the belt to the shorts more often.
I'm still gonna wear my white belt ☺
White belts and shoes were mandatory for the fashion conscious and now they are out? I am still wearing black and brown belts like I always have depending on what I am wearing that day
My last white belt was called a Mod belt that became popular in the 60's. It's long gone.
ROTFLMAO!!! My sentiments exactly. I have never in my 60 years owned a white belt. Always have worn heavy duty Western style belts not fancy but thick and tough.
I respectfully disagree with this guy about white belts. They are not for everyone but some guys can pull off the look. I think the author has lost too much money to guys in white belts.
Nah, I wear a white belt most of the time. Bright colors are my go to. Wear what makes you feel good because sometimes your game sure doesn't.
I like the white belt. I wear mine often. I'm 34 and it can pull all kinds of clothes together.

Wow! This should be renamed the "white belt thread." Lots of opinions on this item of clothing.

Here's a fun thing I have: a belt that can be flipped between white and black. I wear the black side at work then flip it to white for golf after work. Something about being on the golf course (or playing any sport for that matter) just demands a little more flash than everyday life. Once the round is over, I flip it back to black if I need to go to the store.

Edit: Turn your phone landscape if the quotes look wonky.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I want to dress respectable on the course, after all it is a gentlemen's game.  I would much prefer to bring attention to myself through my play than through my attire. 

• Like 2

How's this?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaMe674lgJ2/" style=" color:#000; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none; word-wrap:break-word;" target="_blank">Gotta dress the part when you play in an event called The British #golfstagram #instagolf #golf #golfing #mygolfspy #golfwrx #knickers

A post shared by Brian Meyer (@golfspy_meyer) on

There's some things that can't be “unseen”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Don't wear white belts but I do have the Vineyard Vines Skull belt pictured in the article.

Haven't worn a white belt since the disco, leisure,suit era in the 70's.I usually wear khaki or black shortas in the summer and Khaki slacks in the fall and winter with a brown or black belt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I like the Dry-tech style slacks- with the open cuff.  I have several pair (black, dark blue, grey and kaki).

Lots of dry-tech shirts, most collared, as well as a few of the older cotton style, for cooler weather.

Oh, I have a white belt, too - cloth, with the Sea Island logo on it- and I do wear it often.  Have another with my club logo, but it is a bit threadbare at this point, probably need to invest in another.

As many have said, style is in the eyes of the beholder- be comfortable, able to play your game, and be comfortable with yourself- one less thing to worry about on the course, because (at least for most of us) we aren't sponsored- so don't feel like you have to match logos.

And, If  I ever get down to single digits, I may just treat myself to a set of Loud Mouth Slacks, too! Just for fun!

open cuff.jpg

I like the Dry-tech style slacks- with the open cuff. I have several pair (black, dark blue, grey and kaki).

Lots of dry-tech shirts, most collared, as well as a few of the older cotton style, for cooler weather.

Oh, I have a white belt, too - cloth, with the Sea Island logo on it- and I do wear it often. Have another with my club logo, but it is a bit threadbare at this point, probably need to invest in another.

As many have said, style is in the eyes of the beholder- be comfortable, able to play your game, and be comfortable with yourself- one less thing to worry about on the course, because (at least for most of us) we aren't sponsored- so don't feel like you have to match logos.

And, If I ever get down to single digits, I may just treat myself to a set of Loud Mouth Slacks, too! Just for fun!

Who makes those pants? I have a hard time finding golf pants I can afford that look good to me.

Living in SE Texas, unless it is winter (which we do not have much of) pretty hard for me to go from the office to the course without changing clothes.  Too hot for slacks most of the year.  And, I work in an office and wear long sleeve button down collar shirts to work.  I always carry a change of clothes for golf in a bag in my truck along with golf shoes and socks.  I do go prepared just in case I go play directly from the office. 

As far as white belts are concerned (I am 71 years old BTW), when I was up in the 235 to 245# range, I would not wear a white belt on a bet.  Now that I weigh in the mid 160s, yes I own a white belt.  Only wear it with white or mostly white shoes and as long as it is white or light gray shorts.  Do not care for wearing it with anything that makes it really look contrasting.  My golf attire is pretty conservative.  I mainly wear gray or black shorts and a shirt that matches.  Just makes it a lot easier to pack for trips when you have a stuff that mixes and matches easily.  Hard to do that with khaki and gray or khaki and black.  Blues and blacks do not go well either.  

• Like 1

Who makes those pants? I have a hard time finding golf pants I can afford that look good to me.

Not sure who makes the ones in the photo, but I have a pair of UA pants just like that and they're great! Plus it's changing seasons, so may be able to get them on sale

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Fashion is setting your own trends, and watching people follow!

• Like 3

I'm retired, so I dress up for golf! In the senior league I'm new to, some (not all) players are offended by anyone who wears shirts without a collar, shirt not tucked in and cargo shorts. So I dress accordingly, why not? I don't want to push the bottom of the envelope. I don't much care what others wear short of shirtless or shoeless. YMMV

• Like 1

Totally disagree with the white belt philosophy, I lik the pop of brightness in my blue, black or grey shorts/pants (see avatar).   I'm not gonna lie, I'm a limited budget golfer, perusing Target's Champion line, the UA outlet when there's a good sale, Costco and Izod, (who happens to make awesome pants). I did splurge on a pair of Royal & Awesome shorts, but it was at a charity auction. 

While I do appreciate the look, I personally can't get behind  the $60-80+ polos and $35+ hats.

• Like 4

I like to play dress-up a bit myself. Golf to me is an event, and also, if I look good, I'll feel good. Many "clubs" in our area are a bit lax in the dress code, but many others are not and still require at least a collared shirt which is how I came up to understand the minimums. Heck one time while visiting in Colorado 2-years ago, my brother-in-law decided at the last minute to hit the links but I had not packed any Polo's. So I wound up having to buy one off the rack at the pro shop for $50+!!! Wife not happy...

Since then and only recently as I've began to acquire my own gear, getting proper (to me anyhow) attire to play in has been a fun little exercise.

I've gotten several great USA made shirts of varying drab colors and subdued designs off of eBay-generally the Ping & Footjoy variety. My wife has also picked up a couple of nice Nike ones for me at the discount stores (her memory is long it seems...).

Poking around at Golf Galaxy, I found some very nice Walter Hagen "11 Majors" khaki slacks on sale that I really like-especially the "grip" waistband that keeps my fat-guy shirt tucked in. I walked out of there only paying like $30 for those and they retailed for over $70! Got a pair of the same as shorts too off of eBay super cheap and new to boot!

Shoes? Footjoy Classis Tour, either a black pair or a white one and always with Kentwool socks!

For my cover (to the non-Marine crowd, that's a hat), I am a bit of a Ho. I love hats-the more the better. After only really a partial season of "gittin' serious", I've managed to only(!) get 5 total-two loud, plaid pattern retro PING's, and 3 old but good Footjoy's. Mostly new and super cool.

Sunglasses? I am also a retro sunglass freak (80's vintage Vuarnet cat eyes & Ray Ban Wayfarers) but pulled the trigger and got a new pair of the Bolle' Volts with the V3 Golf lenses and black frames per the recent MGS review. Couldn't stand the looks of the Oakley's and the Rudy Projects are just plain hard to find on eBay. I've yet to "game" them as they are a very recent purchase, but I am excited to see how they perform.

There's an old thread out there on MGS about watches. My sickness continues-yes I'm also a watch junkie. I'll wear either of my Tag Heuer's (automatic Aquaracer or quartz F1 chronograph), or I'll sport my 10'th anniversary gift from the wife that is a white-faced Tissot chronograph. Got another Tag in the queue-their new F1 in blue and orange-GO BRONCOS! (BSU that is...)

• Like 2

There's an old thread out there on MGS about watches. My sickness continues-yes I'm also a watch junkie. I'll wear either of my Tag Heuer's (automatic Aquaracer or quartz F1 chronograph), or I'll sport my 10'th anniversary gift from the wife that is a white-faced Tissot chronograph. Got another Tag in the queue-their new F1 in blue and orange-GO BRONCOS! (BSU that is...)

Every once in a while my wife complains about the number of watches I have - I dutifully remind her about the number of earrings she has which total a lot more than my watches.

BTW it's 'covers' in the Navy as well

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2