TESTERS WANTED! ×

OnCore Genius Ball

The ball with gps capabilities and a whole lot more tech for shot tracking data, but at $50 for 2 balls would you buy it?

I'd be too afraid to lose it in the water, deeper woods, or taller bushes you can't get to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

If I were to spring for one of these things, I'd need three assurances:

1. Some sort of "never lost" guarantee.

2. Durability to last many many rounds.

3. AT LEAST mid-level ball performance.

Since it's highly unlikely these will occur at this price point, I'm out. giphy.gif

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I like this idea and really hope they make it to market. I understand people's concerns about losing the ball, but that can be managed. Don't tee it up on the most difficult hole or over long water shots. As a 26 handicap, I can still get through most holes without losing a ball.

I haven't heard any reviews on their golf balls in general. Any thoughts out there?

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

It's a cool proof of concept, but first and foremost the ball must perform.  If it's the equivalent of a pinnacle gold I'm never going to play it.  Then as someone else mentioned it's a durability issue.  I'm more likely to scuff a ball with a wedge, tree, or cart path than I am to lose it.  But I can just picture my brand new $25 ball bouncing off a cart path and getting a huge road rash.  No thanks.

Where I could see this being great is at a place like top golf, or in conjunction with a simulator.  Don't really care about the GPS aspect of it, but getting all that ball data could be great with a lower cost simulator setup.  But even then it comes back to ball performance.  If it spins like a 2 piece distance ball then the data isn't really useful for me.

So it's cool as a proof of concept for where the technology could go, but a long way from taking over the ball market.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I know some well heeled older gentlemen with failing vision that would happily pay these price points. Golf is tough game when you can't see and having to rely on your playing partners to constantly locate your golf ball is humbling pill to swallow. So let's try to set aside performance for a second and recognize this product could help certain golfers regain a sense of independence. For the time being this is definitely niche; but where there's a niche, there's a way.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

To be successful and not have people criticizing price point I think they need to go the daily subscription route. ie a sleeve of balls a month is x and they are delivered for free or 4 dozen a year is x and you get a dozen every every 3 months with free delivery. This way people can buy in without worrying too much about losing the golf ball

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm of Meyer's school of thought on this one. To me this product fills a niche for techies, but I see its best use as an alternative to an in home simulator at a cheaper cost or as a range ball for companies trying to compete with Top Golf or the upcoming Trackman ranges who want to change the practice experience.

Sure, it's really cool and I think it's awesome that it's a NY based company doing it, but I do think it's use as an actual on course product is limited at best because of fears of performance and more importantly cost. I'll be following to see what comes of it as it's an awesome idea in concept, but as to how it'll actually work... well, that's a whole different question.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-genius-ball#/

This is what I've been saying for years is coming. It was only a matter of time. At least these guys have taken a stab at it. I'll wait for the 3rd or 4th generation before I try it.

Very interesting and best wishes.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Okay, this is a really intriguing concept. It would be ideal for a backyard practice facility, say a 125 yd shot, where you really can't lose it. Maybe the company could add a "range" setting where it only tracks carry dist., spin, etc. It also seems practicle to add a live tracking feature. Anyone who's been to TopGolf knows what I'm talking about. That would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Someone told me Top Golf uses a similar ball to track shots in addition to launch monitors. It is how they create the vast array of different games like closest to the pin. I have yet to go to a Top Golf, but I imagine the use is in line with those.

I for sure wouldn't find it as useful for open course play. What would it do for me? Unless it has a homing beacon that allows me to find it in open grass, I don't see any value to it for play. The analytical data side would be absolutely useful in practice and on a driving range. I don't see courses forking over the cash to replace thousands of balls with these as range balls.

However; I imagine that is where they are most useful. For the player, probably best in practice like pitch and chip shots where you don't risk a lost ball and review the data to see actual spin and roll out.

• 1 year later...

So I've been toying with the idea of splurging on a Skytrak .. then I remembered reading about the Genius ball and thought "hmmmm.. would that work as a virtual practice range (paired with an app) indoors in the garage 'studio'?.."

More interested in working on yardages, especially short game, vs full shot stats or game sim.

Contacted Oncore and asked, "I know it's still in development, but could it be used for indoor practice?"

And received the following reply...

Thanks Chuck, that is still to be determined. As projections stand now we need about 30 feet of flight to capture all the data but its possible that gets reduced. Will keep you up to date. Thanks,

Steve

Steve Coulton, Co-Founder OnCore Golf

So, unfortunately, unless that "30 feet" constraint changes that kinda kills the indoor practice idea; but it could potentially be a useful training tool in a large enough backyard.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived