deejaid

Do you chip with a wood?

I've been trying to really hone all my short game shots lately and this looks really helpful.

Do any of you guys chip with a wood or hybrid? Are you using it from just fairway cut or from the rough too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I use my hybrid on questionable lies. It's not often but the results are usually decent.

When I played with ddryan, I had to play one because my ball nestled on the collar between 2 cuts of rough. I switched my club back and forth about 5 times before settling on the hybrid. It played like a putt. The ball landed just on the green but rolled about 50ft to get nice and close to the pin.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Most courses here have thick Bermuda around the greens so the ball settles to the bottom easily, I've tried it a few times but the rough here requires a bladed club to really be effective

Most courses here have thick Bermuda around the greens so the ball settles to the bottom easily, I've tried it a few times but the rough here requires a bladed club to really be effective

Yup. It works better on fluffy lies where the ball is sitting on top of the grass. These are the types of lies generally can lead to a "flub" if you take a club that's too lofted.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I've been playing for 53 years, and right or wrong, I've never chipped with a wood/metal or hybrid. But whatever works for others.

• Like 1

I have practiced it some but remember I have just started using hybrids recently. I have experimented with it some but find for me the hybrids or fairway metals seem to be too hot off the face. On the fluffy lies that Stud described I use the belly wedge method if on the fringe or close. I have not seriously considered it since I have practiced and have an arsenal of short game tricks.

• Like 1

Never tried with a wood but have with a hybrid. Distance control is a little tough so probably need more practice with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

... I will occasionally use a hybrid from just off the green, but use a putting motion with my putting grip as opposed to a chipping motion. If I am in need of a chip, I will use a wedge/iron. But if I just want the ball to hop over and thru the fairway/collar/light rough I will use a hybrid. Right up against the color I prefer to blade a LW. But the long rolling hybrid is a great shot to have on very tight lies when it is less than smooth around the green akin the putter an iffy play and as Stu said, they are a little hotter so on really long shots you can treat it like a putt without having to make such a long swing.

... Obviously practicing with it is the key. I love dropping balls around the green when the course is empty playing a practice round and use different techniques to get up and down. It also make practice more fun. One of my old pards and I would play 18 and the 11th was close by so we would go there and take turns dropping balls in difficult to impossible lies and have a short game contest. Like place a ball in a divot just short of the green and you must use a hybrid. We would hit 20 shots and low score wins. It was awesome practice and the competition helped keep our focus sharp. 

• Like 5

I don't often use a metal wood type club in these situations. No real reason other then it's not something I ever practice. I only carry a driver and 4 wood. 100% of my chipping is done with my wedges or sometimes just putting if the grass is closely mown and tight. Just today a guy I played with twice used a hybrid and as some have commented.... it's came off the face too hot I could tell. But in general I think this type of shot has a place in many situations.

Yeah, I've tried it a few times on the practice green and I just need some more practice at it. I am afraid I'm gonna hit it too hard. I read an article yesterday that said to even use your putter grip when trying this shot. I'm gonna try that next time.

Yeah, I've tried it a few times on the practice green and I just need some more practice at it. I am afraid I'm gonna hit it too hard. I read an article yesterday that said to even use your putter grip when trying this shot. I'm gonna try that next time.

That sends shivers up my spine thinking of putting from the rough. I really hate putting from anywhere besides the dance floor. There's just too many variables if you can't clear the long stuff. Unless it's a really short putt, I'll still chip from the fringe.

One thing that drives me nuts is when people putt from the bunker. Just practice bunker shots a little! That's a surefire way to chip your putter head.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

... Good stuff. I said earlier I use a putting stroke with my hybrid but forgot to mention I use my putting grip. 

• Like 2

I have been using a 24 degree hybrid for "putts" from off the green.  I started working on the shot in the spring so I would have it to use in Ireland last month.  I wanted to be able to hit the shot from far off the green.  

I use a putting stroke and my putting grip.  The ball comes off hot is I grip too tight.  If I use the putter grip, it comes off fine.  

I used it a lot in Ireland.  But, to my surprise, I use it quite a bit on my home, parkland style course.  I use it for very long putts from the fringe, for putts where I have grass to get over to get to the fringe, and out of the rough if the ball is not sitting down too much.  

• Like 2

I have practiced it some but remember I have just started using hybrids recently. I have experimented with it some but find for me the hybrids or fairway metals seem to be too hot off the face. On the fluffy lies that Stud described I use the belly wedge method if on the fringe or close. I have not seriously considered it since I have practiced and have an arsenal of short game tricks.

+1  This ^^^

Not my goto shot because the hit is really hard. The ball just launches off the face. Have to practice it a lot to get the distances correct. I like just going to less lofted irons or the bladed wedge when faced with a shot that you need to run through some lengthier fringe. 

• Like 1

... I will occasionally use a hybrid from just off the green, but use a putting motion with my putting grip as opposed to a chipping motion. If I am in need of a chip, I will use a wedge/iron. But if I just want the ball to hop over and thru the fairway/collar/light rough I will use a hybrid. Right up against the color I prefer to blade a LW. But the long rolling hybrid is a great shot to have on very tight lies when it is less than smooth around the green akin the putter an iffy play and as Stu said, they are a little hotter so on really long shots you can treat it like a putt without having to make such a long swing.

... Obviously practicing with it is the key. I love dropping balls around the green when the course is empty playing a practice round and use different techniques to get up and down. It also make practice more fun. One of my old pards and I would play 18 and the 11th was close by so we would go there and take turns dropping balls in difficult to impossible lies and have a short game contest. Like place a ball in a divot just short of the green and you must use a hybrid. We would hit 20 shots and low score wins. It was awesome practice and the competition helped keep our focus sharp. 

I was hoping you would check in here and put on your .02 since you and I tend to think alike.

I may practice it some today doing as you suggested with my putting grip which happens to be as I call it a modified claw.

I also hone my short game doing exactly like you do. In fact at my home course the starter is next to the little putting green and he likes to see me create shots from funky lies. Sometimes if it is not busy I will hand him 5 balls and tell him to "screw me up" while I run in to the bathroom or into the snack bar to get a coffee. Man oh man can he give me some lies. I have never been one to belt balls but I can practice short game and trick shots for hours on end. Last Sunday morning before church I probably hit 150 shots dialing in a new Cally 50* BECU wedge I liked and traded for. LOL one of the old farts was looking at the wedge yesterday and said "those things must not be worth a crap you have had yours a week and it is starting to wear" The starter told him I must have hit 200 balls with it last Sunday morning. The old guy did not have a clue that it was not wearing that was just how BECU looks when you are breaking it in

• Like 1

As most people have said play the correct club that suits the shot you desire.Dont be afaraid to putt with your driver from around the green if your chipping is not performing.It works well but keep trying until you like your best option.

• Like 2

Chipping is definitely wedge category for me. However if I'm off the green (on the fairway/apron) and some distance from the pin, my go to club is an 8 iron

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1