TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you chip with a wood?

I've been trying to really hone all my short game shots lately and this looks really helpful.

Do any of you guys chip with a wood or hybrid? Are you using it from just fairway cut or from the rough too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I use my hybrid on questionable lies. It's not often but the results are usually decent.

When I played with ddryan, I had to play one because my ball nestled on the collar between 2 cuts of rough. I switched my club back and forth about 5 times before settling on the hybrid. It played like a putt. The ball landed just on the green but rolled about 50ft to get nice and close to the pin.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Most courses here have thick Bermuda around the greens so the ball settles to the bottom easily, I've tried it a few times but the rough here requires a bladed club to really be effective

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Most courses here have thick Bermuda around the greens so the ball settles to the bottom easily, I've tried it a few times but the rough here requires a bladed club to really be effective

Yup. It works better on fluffy lies where the ball is sitting on top of the grass. These are the types of lies generally can lead to a "flub" if you take a club that's too lofted.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Sometimes off the tee box  :unsure:

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I have practiced it some but remember I have just started using hybrids recently. I have experimented with it some but find for me the hybrids or fairway metals seem to be too hot off the face. On the fluffy lies that Stud described I use the belly wedge method if on the fringe or close. I have not seriously considered it since I have practiced and have an arsenal of short game tricks.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Never tried with a wood but have with a hybrid. Distance control is a little tough so probably need more practice with it.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

... I will occasionally use a hybrid from just off the green, but use a putting motion with my putting grip as opposed to a chipping motion. If I am in need of a chip, I will use a wedge/iron. But if I just want the ball to hop over and thru the fairway/collar/light rough I will use a hybrid. Right up against the color I prefer to blade a LW. But the long rolling hybrid is a great shot to have on very tight lies when it is less than smooth around the green akin the putter an iffy play and as Stu said, they are a little hotter so on really long shots you can treat it like a putt without having to make such a long swing.

... Obviously practicing with it is the key. I love dropping balls around the green when the course is empty playing a practice round and use different techniques to get up and down. It also make practice more fun. One of my old pards and I would play 18 and the 11th was close by so we would go there and take turns dropping balls in difficult to impossible lies and have a short game contest. Like place a ball in a divot just short of the green and you must use a hybrid. We would hit 20 shots and low score wins. It was awesome practice and the competition helped keep our focus sharp. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I don't often use a metal wood type club in these situations. No real reason other then it's not something I ever practice. I only carry a driver and 4 wood. 100% of my chipping is done with my wedges or sometimes just putting if the grass is closely mown and tight. Just today a guy I played with twice used a hybrid and as some have commented.... it's came off the face too hot I could tell. But in general I think this type of shot has a place in many situations.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yeah, I've tried it a few times on the practice green and I just need some more practice at it. I am afraid I'm gonna hit it too hard. I read an article yesterday that said to even use your putter grip when trying this shot. I'm gonna try that next time.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Yeah, I've tried it a few times on the practice green and I just need some more practice at it. I am afraid I'm gonna hit it too hard. I read an article yesterday that said to even use your putter grip when trying this shot. I'm gonna try that next time.

That sends shivers up my spine thinking of putting from the rough. I really hate putting from anywhere besides the dance floor. There's just too many variables if you can't clear the long stuff. Unless it's a really short putt, I'll still chip from the fringe.

One thing that drives me nuts is when people putt from the bunker. Just practice bunker shots a little! That's a surefire way to chip your putter head.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

... Good stuff. I said earlier I use a putting stroke with my hybrid but forgot to mention I use my putting grip. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I have been using a 24 degree hybrid for "putts" from off the green.  I started working on the shot in the spring so I would have it to use in Ireland last month.  I wanted to be able to hit the shot from far off the green.  

I use a putting stroke and my putting grip.  The ball comes off hot is I grip too tight.  If I use the putter grip, it comes off fine.  

I used it a lot in Ireland.  But, to my surprise, I use it quite a bit on my home, parkland style course.  I use it for very long putts from the fringe, for putts where I have grass to get over to get to the fringe, and out of the rough if the ball is not sitting down too much.  

I have practiced it some but remember I have just started using hybrids recently. I have experimented with it some but find for me the hybrids or fairway metals seem to be too hot off the face. On the fluffy lies that Stud described I use the belly wedge method if on the fringe or close. I have not seriously considered it since I have practiced and have an arsenal of short game tricks.

+1  This ^^^

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

... I will occasionally use a hybrid from just off the green, but use a putting motion with my putting grip as opposed to a chipping motion. If I am in need of a chip, I will use a wedge/iron. But if I just want the ball to hop over and thru the fairway/collar/light rough I will use a hybrid. Right up against the color I prefer to blade a LW. But the long rolling hybrid is a great shot to have on very tight lies when it is less than smooth around the green akin the putter an iffy play and as Stu said, they are a little hotter so on really long shots you can treat it like a putt without having to make such a long swing.

... Obviously practicing with it is the key. I love dropping balls around the green when the course is empty playing a practice round and use different techniques to get up and down. It also make practice more fun. One of my old pards and I would play 18 and the 11th was close by so we would go there and take turns dropping balls in difficult to impossible lies and have a short game contest. Like place a ball in a divot just short of the green and you must use a hybrid. We would hit 20 shots and low score wins. It was awesome practice and the competition helped keep our focus sharp. 

I was hoping you would check in here and put on your .02 since you and I tend to think alike.

I may practice it some today doing as you suggested with my putting grip which happens to be as I call it a modified claw.

I also hone my short game doing exactly like you do. In fact at my home course the starter is next to the little putting green and he likes to see me create shots from funky lies. Sometimes if it is not busy I will hand him 5 balls and tell him to "screw me up" while I run in to the bathroom or into the snack bar to get a coffee. Man oh man can he give me some lies. I have never been one to belt balls but I can practice short game and trick shots for hours on end. Last Sunday morning before church I probably hit 150 shots dialing in a new Cally 50* BECU wedge I liked and traded for. LOL one of the old farts was looking at the wedge yesterday and said "those things must not be worth a crap you have had yours a week and it is starting to wear" The starter told him I must have hit 200 balls with it last Sunday morning. The old guy did not have a clue that it was not wearing that was just how BECU looks when you are breaking it in

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

As most people have said play the correct club that suits the shot you desire.Dont be afaraid to putt with your driver from around the green if your chipping is not performing.It works well but keep trying until you like your best option.

Chipping is definitely wedge category for me. However if I'm off the green (on the fairway/apron) and some distance from the pin, my go to club is an 8 iron

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I use my 50 degree wedge for instances like that. I enjoy the push that the club gives me.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Cleveland RTX Wedges 50, 56, 60

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

I have before, but it's very rare. Hybrid always comes out so hot so Is rather use a low-lofted iron.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have used the shot and to me it is useful. But like a flop shot, one I don't need to use often.

Keep practicing it and it'll bail you out when least expected.

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

As most people have said play the correct club that suits the shot you desire.Dont be afaraid to putt with your driver from around the green if your chipping is not performing.It works well but keep trying until you like your best option.

I have been known to putt with a wedge quite a lot especially in the old days after I had broken a misbehaving putter. Happened on numerous occasions. But not any more I have mellowed out with age do not do that sorta thing now

G

I have before, but it's very rare. Hybrid always comes out so hot so Is rather use a low-lofted iron.

Now you bring up something else. After being a blade player all my life those newer CBs are a little hotter faced for me especially with a Pro V. But I have controlled it some by switching to either a MG C-4 or Callaway Super Soft. I have not lost any distance off the driver either. Most of the time I use a 50* wedge

G

I use my 50 degree wedge for instances like that. I enjoy the push that the club gives me.

I have just switched in the last week from an older 252 Vokey 52* to a Callaway BECU 50*. Love the feel and control around the green with it

G

I have used my 5 wood and my 4 hybrid at times.I use a putting stroke but you have to be aware that the faces are hotter so the ball comes off  faster.It helps to practice these shots from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver :cobra-small: King F6 matrix White Tie shaft

3 Wood : :taylormade-small: Rocketballz 15* Matrix Ozik X-con5

5 wood :taylormade-small: Rocketballz 19* Matrix Ozik X-con5

Hybrid :taylormade-small: Burner 3H , :cobra-small: King F7 4-5 hybrid

Irons  6-PW :cobra-small:  King Cobra SZ

wedges  :cleveland-small: CG16 52*,56*

Putter :odyssey-small:  Sabertooth

Ball :srixon-small: Tour yellow Q Star or :callaway-small: Chrome Soft yellow/black Truvis

I suck at the hybrid/wood chip lol. I know a few people who love playing those shots and do them well though. I'm more comfortable with a wedge in my hand though. To each their own

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I've tried the wood/hybrid chip and don't like it... I'm too far from the ball for short game control, and if I grip down on the shaft to where I think I could hit a controlled shot, my stomach gets in the way of the butt of the club! I feel much more comfortable hitting a bellied wedge or a less lofted iron.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

I've tried the wood/hybrid chip and don't like it... I'm too far from the ball for short game control, and if I grip down on the shaft to where I think I could hit a controlled shot, my stomach gets in the way of the butt of the club! I feel much more comfortable hitting a bellied wedge or a less lofted iron.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This is the one thing that does feel very weird, the lie angle of a hybrid or fairway wood and the effect it has on chipping. Like you said, you are very far away from the ball.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, all of the above for me. I carry 12 clubs so sometimes I'd put my wife's odyssey tank chipper in my bag, I love that thingy, especially when I'm collecting my winnings.

I usually do it with 5 hybrid but the skinny shaft sometimes make it tricky especially with light grip.

My favorite is still the Texas wedge.

Archived