Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Do you chip with a wood?

Another one here who only very occasionally uses a hybrid (4H/22*) from a lie like an uphill slope off the side of a green (ie. I'm downhill of the green), or from a tight, smooth fairway a bit further away from the front of the green. Also putter grip (loose!) .. gripped down to the top of the shaft .. and putter stroke.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 8 months later...

I've tried my hybrid for chipping recently, and the result was mixed. I didn't really practice before I tried it on the actual round, but some shots were quite good. 

Distance control seemed to be very difficult, so what I am thinking is, practice for just one distance, and use it when the chances come. I think this kind of shot can be helpful when you are at the opposite fringe of a massive green. 

I've tried this also with marginal success. Generally, I do not have good distance control with the hybrid or wood and do better with an iron or wedge for a fluffy lie. Where I think it would be best in on tight wet lies, but once again, I have better distance control with a 6 iron.

However, I recently dropped the 5 iron in favor of a 25* hybrid and it may work better.

One thing I have tremendous success with is the Texas Wedge. The putter off the green. A lot of the guys I play with are terrified of this, but I explained recently that by taking your regular putting stance and alignment, then moving your hands 2-3 inches forward, this delofts the club and then hit down on the ball. It causes the ball to pop up and bounce a couple of times but it has top spin on the ball and rolls really well once it gets to the green.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

In green side rough only one thing works for me and that's my 60*. I've tried hybrids and other irons, with limited or no success. On the other hand from the fairway - I bump and roll my 7i

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I always chip with my 52* unless I need a big flop then I hit my 58*. I don't carry a hybrid only a 3wood which doesn't have enough loft to hit out of the rough and out of the fairway I will either putt or hit the 52*.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I've tried it once, it was super windy and it was clear to the green, it was about 35 yards. More like a brid-pitch. About 2 feet off the ground.

I use 9, P, 52, 56, 60 for chipping.

9 is a 2:10 ratio

PW is a 3:10 ratio

52 is a 4:10 ratio

56 is a 6:10 ratio

60 is a 8:10 ratio

The ratio being air time to roll time.

Edit: adjusted ratios

I've been trying to really hone all my short game shots lately and this looks really helpful.

Do any of you guys chip with a wood or hybrid? Are you using it from just fairway cut or from the rough too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've used both at one point or another when stuck on the collar, but that's it. It's not a shot that I really practice either. Just gotta swing it like a putter and realize that it's going to come off those clubs pretty hot.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

That sends shivers up my spine thinking of putting from the rough. I really hate putting from anywhere besides the dance floor. There's just too many variables if you can't clear the long stuff. Unless it's a really short putt, I'll still chip from the fringe.

One thing that drives me nuts is when people putt from the bunker. Just practice bunker shots a little! That's a surefire way to chip your putter head.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I have to admit I have learned the hard way about putting from non-green spots. Tried “experimenting” a few from far out and learned never to do it again.

Like you said - just need to practice more!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

Chipping is definitely wedge category for me. However if I'm off the green (on the fairway/apron) and some distance from the pin, my go to club is an 8 iron

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Actually just started using my 8 iron for situations like this after getting some tips. Practiced it a good bit in the backyard and on the local course. Finally used it for real on my last round and had some luck. Need to get more comfortable using a putting motion with an iron.

Much to improve on but a good start!

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

I will use my 22 degree hybrid from off the green particularly if there is a false front and its fairway all the way. I do practice with it.

I used to use 5 wood if I faced a steep uphill shot to a tight pin. I don't carry 5 wood any more so now I use 7 or 8 iron for that shot.

My club has a killer short game area - I try to work on these types of shots once a month.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well, since I started this thread last fall, my bag has changed considerably and my short game with it. Since switching to the Hogan Ft Worth Irons/ TK wedge set my chipping has improved greatly. Now that I no longer need to worry about bounce on my wedges, I simply look at how much roll out I have available and choose the iron/wedge accordingly. The seemless transition from irons to wedges make chipping with different clubs easy. I was always scared of the fat chip, now with the V Soles I never worry about it. I've eliminated the wood/hybrid as a chipping option as I never got comfortable with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Archived