deejaid

Do you chip with a wood?

I use my 50 degree wedge for instances like that. I enjoy the push that the club gives me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have used the shot and to me it is useful. But like a flop shot, one I don't need to use often.

Keep practicing it and it'll bail you out when least expected.

• Like 1

As most people have said play the correct club that suits the shot you desire.Dont be afaraid to putt with your driver from around the green if your chipping is not performing.It works well but keep trying until you like your best option.

I have been known to putt with a wedge quite a lot especially in the old days after I had broken a misbehaving putter. Happened on numerous occasions. But not any more I have mellowed out with age do not do that sorta thing now

I have before, but it's very rare. Hybrid always comes out so hot so Is rather use a low-lofted iron.

Now you bring up something else. After being a blade player all my life those newer CBs are a little hotter faced for me especially with a Pro V. But I have controlled it some by switching to either a MG C-4 or Callaway Super Soft. I have not lost any distance off the driver either. Most of the time I use a 50* wedge

I use my 50 degree wedge for instances like that. I enjoy the push that the club gives me.

I have just switched in the last week from an older 252 Vokey 52* to a Callaway BECU 50*. Love the feel and control around the green with it

I have used my 5 wood and my 4 hybrid at times.I use a putting stroke but you have to be aware that the faces are hotter so the ball comes off  faster.It helps to practice these shots from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I suck at the hybrid/wood chip lol. I know a few people who love playing those shots and do them well though. I'm more comfortable with a wedge in my hand though. To each their own

I've tried the wood/hybrid chip and don't like it... I'm too far from the ball for short game control, and if I grip down on the shaft to where I think I could hit a controlled shot, my stomach gets in the way of the butt of the club! I feel much more comfortable hitting a bellied wedge or a less lofted iron.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've tried the wood/hybrid chip and don't like it... I'm too far from the ball for short game control, and if I grip down on the shaft to where I think I could hit a controlled shot, my stomach gets in the way of the butt of the club! I feel much more comfortable hitting a bellied wedge or a less lofted iron.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This is the one thing that does feel very weird, the lie angle of a hybrid or fairway wood and the effect it has on chipping. Like you said, you are very far away from the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, all of the above for me. I carry 12 clubs so sometimes I'd put my wife's odyssey tank chipper in my bag, I love that thingy, especially when I'm collecting my winnings.

I usually do it with 5 hybrid but the skinny shaft sometimes make it tricky especially with light grip.

My favorite is still the Texas wedge.

• Like 1

Another one here who only very occasionally uses a hybrid (4H/22*) from a lie like an uphill slope off the side of a green (ie. I'm downhill of the green), or from a tight, smooth fairway a bit further away from the front of the green. Also putter grip (loose!) .. gripped down to the top of the shaft .. and putter stroke.

• Like 1

I've tried my hybrid for chipping recently, and the result was mixed. I didn't really practice before I tried it on the actual round, but some shots were quite good. 

Distance control seemed to be very difficult, so what I am thinking is, practice for just one distance, and use it when the chances come. I think this kind of shot can be helpful when you are at the opposite fringe of a massive green. 

• Like 1

I've tried this also with marginal success. Generally, I do not have good distance control with the hybrid or wood and do better with an iron or wedge for a fluffy lie. Where I think it would be best in on tight wet lies, but once again, I have better distance control with a 6 iron.

However, I recently dropped the 5 iron in favor of a 25* hybrid and it may work better.

One thing I have tremendous success with is the Texas Wedge. The putter off the green. A lot of the guys I play with are terrified of this, but I explained recently that by taking your regular putting stance and alignment, then moving your hands 2-3 inches forward, this delofts the club and then hit down on the ball. It causes the ball to pop up and bounce a couple of times but it has top spin on the ball and rolls really well once it gets to the green.

In green side rough only one thing works for me and that's my 60*. I've tried hybrids and other irons, with limited or no success. On the other hand from the fairway - I bump and roll my 7i

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I always chip with my 52* unless I need a big flop then I hit my 58*. I don't carry a hybrid only a 3wood which doesn't have enough loft to hit out of the rough and out of the fairway I will either putt or hit the 52*.

I've tried it once, it was super windy and it was clear to the green, it was about 35 yards. More like a brid-pitch. About 2 feet off the ground.

I use 9, P, 52, 56, 60 for chipping.

9 is a 2:10 ratio

PW is a 3:10 ratio

52 is a 4:10 ratio

56 is a 6:10 ratio

60 is a 8:10 ratio

The ratio being air time to roll time.

Edit: adjusted ratios

• Like 2

I've been trying to really hone all my short game shots lately and this looks really helpful.

Do any of you guys chip with a wood or hybrid? Are you using it from just fairway cut or from the rough too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've used both at one point or another when stuck on the collar, but that's it. It's not a shot that I really practice either. Just gotta swing it like a putter and realize that it's going to come off those clubs pretty hot.

That sends shivers up my spine thinking of putting from the rough. I really hate putting from anywhere besides the dance floor. There's just too many variables if you can't clear the long stuff. Unless it's a really short putt, I'll still chip from the fringe.

One thing that drives me nuts is when people putt from the bunker. Just practice bunker shots a little! That's a surefire way to chip your putter head.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I have to admit I have learned the hard way about putting from non-green spots. Tried “experimenting” a few from far out and learned never to do it again.

Like you said - just need to practice more!

Chipping is definitely wedge category for me. However if I'm off the green (on the fairway/apron) and some distance from the pin, my go to club is an 8 iron

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Actually just started using my 8 iron for situations like this after getting some tips. Practiced it a good bit in the backyard and on the local course. Finally used it for real on my last round and had some luck. Need to get more comfortable using a putting motion with an iron.

Much to improve on but a good start!