Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Regular vs Midsize Grips

Glove size: Men's Cadet Medium-Large.

I used a reg grip size from the very beginning and the clubs I have now have mid-size grips that came with the club. In the beginning it was something to get used to, which I did and like it now. Except that the mid-size grips are 14 grams more than reg grips. Any suggestions to getting a mid-size grip without the added weight, should I try putting on a reg grip and maybe putting 3 or 4 extra wraps of tape, how much grams will extra tape put on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

The best thing to do would be regular grip with extra wraps. Would be some weight from that but not as much I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I play regular grips with 4 wraps of blue painters tape under.  I did this for the exact reason you mentioned, wanted the slightly larger grip but didn't want to re-swing weight my clubs.  I've been using this for 3 or 4 seasons and have had no issues.  The weight of the tape is not worth taking in to consideration.

I also blow my grips on with air so it's easy to experiment with different wraps to see if you like it.  If you're using double sided tape I believe it's a little thicker so might not need quite as many wraps.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I switched from regular to mid sized and just couldn't get used to it and switched back to regular. I haven't done much research into it but are there brands/materials that make mid sized grips that are made of lighter materials? I did a quick search but it looks like a lot of mid sized grips are all in that 63g range.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

The painters tape instead of the thick two-sided idea is interesting. I am using the pure grips that blow on with air so might need to experiment. I can see some of the advantages of having the thicker grip—it seems to help with not griping the club as hard.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I think grip size is a matter of comfort, but if you are concerned about weight, you could look for bigger standard grips. Sounds weird I know, but Winn Dri-Tac standard grips are a tad larger than a standard grip to begin with. I play Golf Pride New Decades in a standard grip, and they feel larger than other standard grips, especially the MCCC +4 model (simulates 4 wraps in the lower hand). I used to have Lamkin Utx grips in standard, and they felt really small, especially compared to golf pride. The CP2s also feel a bit larger than normal as well. So I think it is possible to find a standard grip that feels larger to save weight.

As others have mentioned you can apply extra wraps. However; It is all trial and error, and if you know how to re-grip a club on your own you can save a lot of money, especially if you blow them on vs tape. If you blow them on, it defeats the use of extra wraps lol.

I would also tell you to know your butt diameter as well as a .580 grip sits different on a .600 shaft, vice versa, and etc. You can find that info online through a Golfworks PDF if you Google Sizing Golf Grips I think.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• 1 year later...

Not sure if you are still looking for a solution but the new Lamkin grips are all labeled S+.   It is basically a standard grip with minimal taper in your lower hand.  I have it on my driver and have noticed my grip pressure stay a little more consistent since I have a tendency to squeeze it at the top.

• 2 months later...

Go with the Mid grip. You have to watch your swing weight with XX wraps of tape. Many grip makers have light weight mids grips to assist with this. I replace many shafts with Mids, most off the rack clubs come with standard OEM. Players love the change as it stops  hand and finger cramping.

One more, make sure you get the correct butt dia. I'm guessing you have .600 some are .580 dia. Have fun

• 1 month later...

I just did it last week, I have changed my grips to new Golf Pride New Decade  Midsize grips ,on a set of Super S Adams irons that had stock regular on them,

While changing it i have noticed that their original Shaft sticking base tape is very special its like a transparent coating unique to Adams, I have no clue of wath could be the material ?

Also i took the serial number of my KBS tour 90 shaft to remember if one would eventually snap broken.

This is when you like you shafts .

Archived