Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How much better...

Jrwatkins7

The first question would be how difficult the course is that you play. There's a big difference between Oakmont from the tips at a course rating of 76 and the local muni at 69.

As a 5 you should average somewhere around 77 on a course of average difficulty. During a full season on that course one would expect a round or two that is at even or under. You could shoot 70 and still be only 3 or 4 under your index.

I'm currently playing to an index that moves from 5 to 6 on a more difficult than average course. My scores this year vary from 73 to 87. If I were regularly playing an easier course I'd have a sub par round tucked in there. I'd expect the same from someone else in my handicap range.

How long have you been a five for and what's the course rating from the course/tees that you play?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The first question would be how difficult the course is that you play. There's a big difference between Oakmont from the tips at a course rating of 76 and the local muni at 69.

As a 5 you should average somewhere around 77 on a course of average difficulty. During a full season on that course one would expect a round or two that is at even or under. You could shoot 70 and still be only 3 or 4 under your index.

I'm currently playing to an index that moves from 5 to 6 on a more difficult than average course. My scores this year vary from 73 to 87. If I were regularly playing an easier course I'd have a sub par round tucked in there. I'd expect the same from someone else in my handicap range.

How long have you been a five for and what's the course rating from the course/tees that you play?

I get it. I've been playing more in the last two years than I ever have (40+ rounds/ summer) going from 8 down to 5. My home course is 70.3/120 from the whites. I just still haven't had “that” round. I get in my own head every time thinking “this is gonna be the time!”

I am more hoping to hear about everyone's “great” round. While you are absolutely correct about the course rating- when I finally break par, that will be my focus!

... I have never been a fan of the system. It is in place to stop cheaters, not keep an accurate index of someones playing ability. Now they try and cover their a$$ and say it is an indication of your potential to score but I think we all know that isn't true for most. Taking your last 20 scores and dropping the highest 10 and then multiplying by 96% is just an attempt to stop players from entering high scores so they can sandbag. It is a flawed system at best. 

... That said, there are many different kinds of golfers when it comes to scoring. Many have a range that they rarely fall out of. As a +0.6 I usually shoot in the 70-76 range. I have shot a couple 66's which is only 4 under my index and several times a season I shoot in the 60's. So it is very rare for me to shoot 8 strokes above or below my index. But I have played with inconsistent golfers that can shoot a 78 on their best day and a 108 on their worst. Even when they shoot the 78 they hit some bladed shots that turn out OK, or hit it into the trees and it bounces out, etc. 

... But the guy with a nice swing and stellar short game that says he is "just really on today" is the one I suspect is working the system. If they have a consistent looking game and shoot well beneath their index, they're sandbagging most of the time. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I'm a 3HCP and my best is 71....

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

My handicap is 6.7 as of the last revision. Before that, and for most of the summer, it was around 8.5. This season, I have had a couple of 75's, a 76, a couple of 77's, a bunch of 78's, and a lot of 79's. A lot in the low 80's too. I usually play courses/tees with a 70-71 course rating. Slope is usually about 130.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Shot 65 last week from the member's tees playing off a 1.6. Based on slope and rating from these tees I beat my index by just under 8 shots.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

It depends on the courses I'm playing. Sight unseen or not so familiar I'd probably shoot 71-77. Playing at my home course I can usually shoot par or from 69-75. It comes in all shapes sometimes 3 bogeys and 3 birdies on a really up and down day it'd be 4-5 birdies and 3-4 bogies. Once or twice a month I'd shoot 18 pars.

That said last weekend I played at one of my favorite nemesis course and shot 82. Last month I played at this mountain course with wacky green slope hit 13 fairways and 15 greens and still blew up the score with 37 putts.

I'm a 9 and as a member of a local muni, I play it almost all the time.  Usual scores are typically 79-86, but I shot 73 this year which tied my low round last year.  When I travel to unfamiliar courses or play local courses that I haven't played much, rounds are usually mid to high 80's.  For me the difference is course familiarity and ability to score in the short game.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm a 9 and as a member of a local muni, I play it almost all the time.  Usual scores are typically 79-86, but I shot 73 this year which tied my low round last year.  When I travel to unfamiliar courses or play local courses that I haven't played much, rounds are usually mid to high 80's.  For me the difference is course familiarity and ability to score in the short game.

I wish I could have been there cheering you on especially on the back nine on your 73 round. I bet it was awesome. :)

My handicap is based mostly off 9 hole matches so the 18 hole score is lower than it would be otherwise.

That being said, it's a "10." I've never broken 80 but did shoot 80 on the nose a few years back. It was from shorter tees and I'm not totally sure if I followed all the rules so I don't count that as my low. This year, in the playoffs, I shot 81 and count that as my low round. Before that, 83 was my lowest.

For 9 holes, I shot 37 once this year and that was 5 shots under my handicap at the time. Bogeyed 1 and parred the rest.

I typically play very close to my handicap so I don't have much high/low swing unless it's an unfamiliar course.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Is your best round, than your handicap? I seem to play with a lot of guys that are 9-10s that have shot 70. 2s and 3s that have shot in the mid 60s. Meanwhile I'm a 5 and have never shot better than a couple of 74s...

Unless you're playing a course with a rating around 67 then you're playing with sandbaggers. No way those guys are posting their better scores. A 5 should have 77-80 as the better half of his last 20 scores on a course with rating around par. That 2 or 3 wouldn't average 75, but would have 75-77 or so as the better half of his last 20 scores. Something under par would stick like glue unless they go online and pump in a bunch of fake scores to move it out of the lineup.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Unless you're playing a course with a rating around 67 then you're playing with sandbaggers. No way those guys are posting their better scores. A 5 should have 77-80 as the better half of his last 20 scores on a course with rating around par. That 2 or 3 wouldn't average 75, but would have 75-77 or so as the better half of his last 20 scores. Something under par would stick like glue unless they go online and pump in a bunch of fake scores to move it out of the lineup.

Some of you read this as I was calling out sandbaggers in my club. That wasn't what I was going for... I was lamenting that I just have never had that one “awesome” round in my life that was an outlier to what my handicap is today. It seems that a lot of the guys I have played with have had one or two great days that I wish I could have. Along the same line as ...the duffers that have had a hole in one ...and I have never come close...

... I did not think calling out sandbaggers was your intention, the thread just logically went there. It is a flawed system and all of us have encountered sandbaggers. Again considering the index is supposed to be an indication of your ability at your very best, it is very difficult to be much better than that. Out of 20 scores you are throwing out your 10 worst. So shooting 10 strokes better than an average of your best 10 scores is extremely difficult. Shooting 10 better than an average of your 10 worst scores is easy, but of course they don't count toward you index. 

... My point being, very few shoot much less than a few strokes lower than their index because it is already an indication of your lowest scores. Obviously there are many reasons this can happen, like you play once a week but go on a vacation and play 6 days in a row. Or preparing for a tournament, you practice much more than normal, or normally don't practice at all but do practice for the tournament. But you are not alone as most of shooting 8-10 strokes below our index is never going to happen. 

I wish I could have been there cheering you on especially on the back nine on your 73 round. I bet it was awesome. :)

It was a better round than the 73 I shot last year which was mostly all pars.  -1 on the front and +2 on the back with birdies on #10 and #11.  Started to fall apart; with 4 bogeys.  I managed to salvage a par on the par 5 #18 after hitting a fairway bunker, getting out, going for the green and hitting a bunker; getting up and down.  On the tee I was thinking birdie!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Does this prove anything? 6 hcp but avg score is 82...so potential is there for upper 70s scoring.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

One of the nice things that Virginia State Golf Assn website does is show "trends over time" showing a 6 month period of your most recent indices- mine is fairly consistent - gradual up or down depending on time of year, what is going on at work and at home, and where my head is.  However I have seen individuals who are steady eddie for months then shoot up two or three strokes- interestingly right before a trip or tournament.  I would think that should be an indication to tournament officials - especially if that individual ends up winning with scores considerably below his "index."

My best score ever is a 77, (several years ago) and normally score in the low 80's.  consistent putting and driving are key to my game, and I am looking forward to receiving my "Shot Scope 2.0" to see if my current assessment is correct, or if I need to work on other parts of my game-

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

shot my career low 73 twice this season at what I'd consider to be my home course. The first 73 was as good of a ball striking round as I've ever had - putting the ball where I wanted and I still had three 3-putts. The second one was a surprise - I didn't hit the ball particularly well on the front 9, but avoided 3 putts and double bogeys. Played better on back at 1 under - was shocked when I tallied it up for a 73. After the front 9 it didn't feel like a good round. Go figure...

That said, I fired a couple of 93's this year, too....one 93 only had 29 putts!! Short game woes....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

shot my career low 73 twice this season at what I'd consider to be my home course. The first 73 was as good of a ball striking round as I've ever had - putting the ball where I wanted and I still had three 3-putts. The second one was a surprise - I didn't hit the ball particularly well on the front 9, but avoided 3 putts and double bogeys. Played better on back at 1 under - was shocked when I tallied it up for a 73. After the front 9 it didn't feel like a good round. Go figure...

That said, I fired a couple of 93's this year, too....one 93 only had 29 putts!! Short game woes....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I think that if I could ever play a round where I was oblivious to my score, I could shoot 71 or 72... always in my own head...

... Awesome and I think more golfers could be shocked of they didn't keep score as they went but adhered to the old cliche' "one stroke at a time". I play with golfers all the time that are very aware of their score and make comments like "I need to bogey 3 of the last 4 holes and just par 1 to break 90". They put pressure on every shot looking ahead instead of just playing the shot they have control of. Always loved Hogans quote when asked what is the most important shot in golf "the one you are playing right now". 

I've been around the 12 - 16 handicap range for YEARS. Anyways several years ago when I was in that 16 capper range, I fired a 73 in my club championship. All the guys were pissing and moaning that evening talking about sand bags and stuff. I was throwing that chest out there like a bantam rooster on steroids. Well I got liquored up celebrating too much that night and came back with a sterling 96 the next day.

I guess the sand ran out of my bag

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Some of you read this as I was calling out sandbaggers in my club. That wasn't what I was going for... I was lamenting that I just have never had that one “awesome” round in my life that was an outlier to what my handicap is today. It seems that a lot of the guys I have played with have had one or two great days that I wish I could have. Along the same line as ...the duffers that have had a hole in one ...and I have never come close...

Oh my bad. I thought you were saying this was a common thing that you kept running into.

As a low hdcp already your chances of beating your number by a lot go way down. A lot easier for a 20 to beat his number by 10 on a given day than it is for a 5 to break par. You don't have nearly as many errors everyday so fewer chances to save strokes.

I don't know what my cap really is.

My regular track is rated at 68.9 , slope of 122

Out of my best 10 of the last 20 rounds, a 75 would be my highest score, and would include 3 68's, a 69, a few 70's and a few above 70. Retirement really does wonders for your game...

I Used to be around an 8 years ago, but maybe not from what I'm reading. I don't play any organized outings anymore, for exactly the reasons mentioned above.

I could shoot a 73 and get beat by 10, by someone who just happened to have a good day...

Riiiight....

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I don't know what my cap really is.

My regular track is rated at 68.9 , slope of 122

Out of my best 10 of the last 20 rounds, a 75 would be my highest score, and would include 3 68's, a 69, a few 70's and a few above 70. Retirement really does wonders for your game...

I Used to be around an 8 years ago, but maybe not from what I'm reading. I don't play any organized outings anymore, for exactly the reasons mentioned above.

I could shoot a 73 and get beat by 10, by someone who just happened to have a good day...

Riiiight....

Yeah you're a 0-1 or so with those scores. Retirement must be good!

... Awesome and I think more golfers could be shocked of they didn't keep score as they went but adhered to the old cliche' "one stroke at a time". I play with golfers all the time that are very aware of their score and make comments like "I need to bogey 3 of the last 4 holes and just par 1 to break 90". They put pressure on every shot looking ahead instead of just playing the shot they have control of. Always loved Hogans quote when asked what is the most important shot in golf "the one you are playing right now". 

So true, but so difficult to remain focused on thru 18 holes!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

So true, but so difficult to remain focused on thru 18 holes!

... It is a learned skill. It becomes easier the more you do it. 

... It is a learned skill. It becomes easier the more you do it.

I often don't even know which hole I'm on-

Once you get your head into the game, wind/distance/pin location/lie/ etc, it really does become all about that one shot...

I often complain that it's over too quickly.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

This has turned into a very interesting thread reminding me yet again that the way we arrived be at our handicaps is different for each of us.

Generally speaking out of the 10 counted scores on your index card you will have 2 or 3 that are below your index. At some point one of those will s going to dip to the 5 or 6 stroke range.

If you're a 5 on a course like the one you describe you should threaten oar a few times a season. A round of 72 would only be 2 or 3 strokes below your index. You should be in that range about 1/10 times. It's a matter of sealing the deal.

You can do it!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I hover around a 6-7 and the best I have performed related to my index is 5 under. I generally score right around or a few strokes higher. My good rounds are generally driven by iron play and hitting greens. If I am hitting irons well and don't have to rely on my short game too much I can score well. My short game is just too prone to big mistakes that result in blow up holes.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived