Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Let’s talk putting alignment

TSauer

I hate to be that guy but MGS did a test on this. Golfers had better success putting without the line. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 testers and only one guy did better using the line.

I personally don't use a line because I have to fiddle with it way too much and start living out the "failure to launch" golf nightmare I have.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Personally, I like the line because it helps me stop from second-guessing myself whether or not I'm lined up correctly. I tested it myself today when I was putting and chipping with the Tour B's and I make way more putts if I line them up with the line, vs trying to do it while I'm over the ball. I'm just having some trouble seeing lines at the moment, so the line is helping me a lot.

If there's one thing I've learned from Dave Stockton's book, it's to take as much out of my mind while I'm over the putt. So I spend half my time looking from behind the ball and lining up the alignment line, and the other half judging my speed. Then I just walk up, square my shoulders, and hit the putt, before my brain starts telling me I'm dumb.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I hate to be that guy but MGS did a test on this. Golfers had better success putting without the line. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 testers and only one guy did better using the line.

I personally don't use a line because I have to fiddle with it way too much and start living out the "failure to launch" golf nightmare I have.

Ditto.

If I worry with the line on the ball, it messes up my actual putting line I want to hit.

Always was told to focus on pace of the putt. Because it's better to 2 putt from inches than 3 putt from inches because you hammered it by the hole.

Tazz

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I remember that test and I remember trying to go about it without the line. The problem for is is that I've been doing it my way for so long I just couldn't get on without the line! I would actually think that going without the line on long putts does probably work because those are more about right speed than right line, but closer to the hole I'd say go for the line!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I'm that one guy too.  By lining up the putt with the line on the ball, I can focus my attention entirely on speed and forget the line when over the ball.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm that one guy too. By lining up the putt with the line on the ball, I can focus my attention entirely on speed and forget the line when over the ball.

Yeah, I also seem to generally putt better .. especially on mid-range and short putts .. when I line it up and focus on pace. If I don't use the line on the ball then I'm using a "spot" just in front of the ball. Same idea, tho, roll the ball on that line at the proper pace to hit your target.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

This was my problem exactly. I line it up, step back, think it doesn't look right, then readjust. I've learned to just forget about the line and line up without it.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

+1 on this!

IMHO: Don't over-complicate putting. Pick your spot and roll your ball to it. If the ball does not drop then one of two things happened....

1. Your speed was wrong.

2. Your line was wrong.

Decide which and file that piece of information into the "data bank" for future reference.

Regarding your +1 I am a non line player.  I am so particular about the line that I can't get it lined up correctly it is better to go without the line.  I think whether you have a line or not is based on how you process information.  Do you visualize putts on how far left or right of the hole the ball needs to go or do you see how much the ball curves for a particular speed?   Based on your roll the ball to a spot comment, you probably prefer the first approach.  if you tell me to roll the ball to a spot,  I am going to compensate and actually play the break to hit that spot and not the hole.  

I have to disagree with your two items above; there is a third thing which is rub of the green.  All you can control is line and speed,  but the ball can be deflected on the green causing the ball to miss. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Regarding your +1 I am a non line player. I am so particular about the line that I can't get it lined up correctly it is better to go without the line. I think whether you have a line or not is based on how you process information. Do you visualize putts on how far left or right of the hole the ball needs to go or do you see how much the ball curves for a particular speed? Based on your roll the ball to a spot comment, you probably prefer the first approach. if you tell me to roll the ball to a spot, I am going to compensate and actually play the break to hit that spot and not the hole.

I have to disagree with your two items above; there is a third thing which is rub of the green. All you can control is line and speed, but the ball can be deflected on the green causing the ball to miss.

If I'm reading your reply correctly, I think we may be saying similar things; ie. the player can control the line to start the ball on, and control the amount of energy imparted to the ball.

If after you've struck the putt the ball is deflected by an outside agency then that was out of your control (you could not factor it in .. to either line or speed .. before your putt).

As to my individual putting method - I try to... visualize a line between ball and the hole .. which is typically going to be an arc for a breaking putt... and then try to determine a spot, which may or may not be on the apex of that arc, towards which I'm going to putt.

That spot may not be anywhere near the hole, depending on the amount of break and the distance to the hole.

I feel my job to make a successful putt is to get correct both the starting direction and the effort needed to get the ball to that spot. And .. hopefully! .. watch it continue to roll along my intended line.

Interestingly, something I started practicing a bit in the garage recently and that seems to be helping my putting is a tip I'd read in these forums somewhere - posted, I believe by @cnosil ?, about placing a dime about a foot in front of the ball and rolling the ball over it.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Stick to the same pre shot routine and develop a definitive method of aligning yourself. Then after you have that baseline adjust your alignment accordingly to how and where you miss to.

I'm a sight putter, so I don't do the whole alignment stick thing. I pretty much death stare at the whole and approach my ball and get into my setup and then I trace the putt line to the ball and I set the club down and set my feet.

Works well for me. What doesn't work is when I don't do it lol. So I practice my routine every time for every putt even short ones. If I'm prone to miss a certain direction I adjust and keep that adjustment and in grain that new alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Aim with your dominant eye, setup with your dominant eye, open the other eye and stroke it!!

Sticks:

Titleist 915D3 8.5 Graffaloy Pro Launch Red 65X

Titleist 915F Aldila NV 95 S Flex 3 Wood

Titleist 915H Aldila NV 105 S Flex 21 degree hybrid

Mizuno MP69 Dynamic Gold S300 Standard Length 2 up 3-PW

Cleveland RTX 54, Titleist SM4 48, Mizuno MP-T4 58

Odyssey 2 ball cs Superstroke 3.0 slim

Callaway Chrome Soft (2016)

Archived