ole gray

From steel to graphite?

Ok so I'm really at the point of making a move to graphite shafts in my next set of irons.  The clock is ticking and my gray hair is not changing so it's time to roll with the tide.  When did you decide to give up steel in your iron game.?

• Like 1

I did it last year (35 years old) and haven't looked back buddy.  Went from Tour V 120 to Recoil 110.  Flight and dispersion is better and my lower back doesn't feel as beat up at the end of a round.  I talked Bobby into doing it this summer too, he got some Apex CF16's with the PX 5.5 graphite shafts in them too. 

• Like 2

I did it last year (35 years old) and haven't looked back buddy. Went from Tour V 120 to Recoil 110. Flight and dispersion is better and my lower back doesn't feel as beat up at the end of a round. I talked Bobby into doing it this summer too, he got some Apex CF16's with the PX 5.5 graphite shafts in them too.

I'm lusting as this 67 year old grand pa is heading that way (graphite) asap!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm 36 and I switched to Aerotech Steelfiber 110cw X in all of my irons this year after experiencing terrible wrist pain when practicing a lot . (Old sticks were Mizuno MP60 with Dynamic Gold X100) I am so glad that I did. Now I can practice and play again without pain. Dispersion is better and there is still plenty of "feel" in the Aerotechs. Shafts have come a long way, go for it!

• Like 1

When I get new irons, hopefully next spring, I'm definitely checking out graphite as a 49 year old. I wouldn't have thought much about them until I hit a friend's Apex irons with graphite for a few holes in August.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I first went to graphite about 6 years ago. I had steel in my two current sets and in the 718's that are on order. I had planned to go back to graphite with them, but I hit the new AMT shaft so well during the demo, I stuck with that.

• Like 1

Last year when I reshafted, went with the Recoil 680s in stiff. Honestly, it was the best decision I made.

• Like 2

I switched full time this year from steel to graphite.  I started toying with the idea two years ago when I was in my late 30's due to elbow pain that prevented me from practicing.  I play Recoil 110 F5 in my Hogan irons and I have Steelfiber 110cw X in my Apex Pros.  I can now practice and play as much as I want with little to no pain and do not see much difference between the steel shaft I used to play.  For most of my golfing life I played X100's and later in life I moved to C Taper 130x shafts.

• Like 3

I had the Aerotech steel fiber 110's in my Bridgestone irons several years ago and I loved them....went back to steel with the Speedblades and regretted it....the new Cobras all have Recoil 680's......dispersion and ball flight was much better too.

• Like 3

The majority of you folks are definitely graphite fans and no doubt when I purchase my next set they WILL be graphite.  I've had my Callaway Razr  irons for a few years now and it's time to move on.

... Maybe 15-20 years ago I had some tendonitis in my elbow that ended my season and I had to take 6 months off. At that time there were very few graphite options that were as reliable as steel in both weight and torque. But Aldila had just come out with NV Tour shafts at 130gms and 1.2* of torque and VJ Singh was using them on tour so I gave them a shot. They were actually tighter than my DGS300's and I have never gone back to steel. 

... Over the years I have played:

Aldila NV Pro's at 105gms
Aldila VS Proto's at 100gms and 85gms
Steelfiber 95's
Recoil 95's and 110's
Recoil 95 Prototypes 

... Fwiw, I didn't like the steel fibers as they felt more like steel than graphite but performance was excellent. And the VS Proto 85's were too light for my swing but again excellent performing shafts. The Recoils finally had me ignoring torque as previously I would have found 2.7-4.1* just too loose but that is just not the case with Recoils and they are as accurate or more accurate than any iron shaft I have played. So I would not shy away form shafts like Recoil 460/660's with up to 4.8* of torque if you could use a little more height or distance using a lighter weight shaft. Lots of really good graphite options out there right now.  

• Like 3

... Maybe 15-20 years ago I had some tendonitis in my elbow that ended my season and I had to take 6 months off. At that time there were very few graphite options that were as reliable as steel in both weight and torque. But Aldila had just come out with NV Tour shafts at 130gms and 1.2* of torque and VJ Singh was using them on tour so I gave them a shot. They were actually tighter than my DGS300's and I have never gone back to steel. 

... Over the years I have played:

Aldila NV Pro's at 105gms

Aldila VS Proto's at 100gms and 85gms

Steelfiber 95's

Recoil 95's and 110's

Recoil 95 Prototypes 

... Fwiw, I didn't like the steel fibers as they felt more like steel than graphite but performance was excellent. And the VS Proto 85's were too light for my swing but again excellent performing shafts. The Recoils finally had me ignoring torque as previously I would have found 2.7-4.1* just too loose but that is just not the case with Recoils and they are as accurate or more accurate than any iron shaft I have played. So I would not shy away form shafts like Recoil 460/660's with up to 4.8* of torque if you could use a little more height or distance using a lighter weight shaft. Lots of really good graphite options out there right now.  

Those Recoil shafts sound good although I'm not sure about going too light.  The steel shafts in my current irons are the TT GS95 shafts which have been good to me.  I generally get plenty of height with my iron shots so it will be interesting to see what graphite shaft will work best for me.

• Like 1

In August of 2014. When I was being fit for my Wishons my fitter and me determined that the AeroTech Steel Fiber shafts worked best. Been loving them every since.

• Like 3

Just went from KBS Tour shafts to Steelfibers.  Not completely sold on them yet, they have a great feel but still kinda iffy on them.

• Like 1

Those Recoil shafts sound good although I'm not sure about going too light.  The steel shafts in my current irons are the TT GS95 shafts which have been good to me.  I generally get plenty of height with my iron shots so it will be interesting to see what graphite shaft will work best for me.

I really, really like the recoils.  I am having a set of 125 Protos put into my Titleist TMBs as I type this.

• Like 2

Tried it a couple of times, but always wind up going back to steel!.. :rolleyes:   

While graphite steel iron shafts are much better these days, the steel iron shafts are too!...Especially my KBS C-Taper Lite 110's... :P  

For you guys who switched to graphite did you do the same with your wedges?  I'm thinking of picking up a Cleveland CBX 56 degree and if I'm going graphite with my iron set should I do the same with any wedges I may choose?

For you guys who switched to graphite did you do the same with your wedges?  I'm thinking of picking up a Cleveland CBX 56 degree and if I'm going graphite with my iron set should I do the same with any wedges I may choose?

... I believe graphite is more important for wedges that is for irons if you are looking for shock absorption and a kinder shaft for your joints. The wedges usually take the biggest divots and your joints take more of a pounding with them than most with their irons. 

... What many find beneficial is heavier graphite shafts in their wedges. I play Recoil 95's in my irons and Recoil 110's in my wedges. I am considering putting a Recoil 125 in my 58*. 

• Like 2

My Swing Science 200 shafts are 70 g @ full length (41" uncut).

I have em in 4~lw.

Edit to add: clubs are std length & either D2 or D3 sw. & reg flex

• Like 2