Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

From steel to graphite?

ole gray

Ok so I'm really at the point of making a move to graphite shafts in my next set of irons.  The clock is ticking and my gray hair is not changing so it's time to roll with the tide.  When did you decide to give up steel in your iron game.?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I did it last year (35 years old) and haven't looked back buddy.  Went from Tour V 120 to Recoil 110.  Flight and dispersion is better and my lower back doesn't feel as beat up at the end of a round.  I talked Bobby into doing it this summer too, he got some Apex CF16's with the PX 5.5 graphite shafts in them too. 

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

I did it last year (35 years old) and haven't looked back buddy. Went from Tour V 120 to Recoil 110. Flight and dispersion is better and my lower back doesn't feel as beat up at the end of a round. I talked Bobby into doing it this summer too, he got some Apex CF16's with the PX 5.5 graphite shafts in them too.

I'm lusting as this 67 year old grand pa is heading that way (graphite) asap!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

I'm 36 and I switched to Aerotech Steelfiber 110cw X in all of my irons this year after experiencing terrible wrist pain when practicing a lot . (Old sticks were Mizuno MP60 with Dynamic Gold X100) I am so glad that I did. Now I can practice and play again without pain. Dispersion is better and there is still plenty of "feel" in the Aerotechs. Shafts have come a long way, go for it!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

When I get new irons, hopefully next spring, I'm definitely checking out graphite as a 49 year old. I wouldn't have thought much about them until I hit a friend's Apex irons with graphite for a few holes in August.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I first went to graphite about 6 years ago. I had steel in my two current sets and in the 718's that are on order. I had planned to go back to graphite with them, but I hit the new AMT shaft so well during the demo, I stuck with that.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Last year when I reshafted, went with the Recoil 680s in stiff. Honestly, it was the best decision I made.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I switched full time this year from steel to graphite.  I started toying with the idea two years ago when I was in my late 30's due to elbow pain that prevented me from practicing.  I play Recoil 110 F5 in my Hogan irons and I have Steelfiber 110cw X in my Apex Pros.  I can now practice and play as much as I want with little to no pain and do not see much difference between the steel shaft I used to play.  For most of my golfing life I played X100's and later in life I moved to C Taper 130x shafts.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I had the Aerotech steel fiber 110's in my Bridgestone irons several years ago and I loved them....went back to steel with the Speedblades and regretted it....the new Cobras all have Recoil 680's......dispersion and ball flight was much better too.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

The majority of you folks are definitely graphite fans and no doubt when I purchase my next set they WILL be graphite.  I've had my Callaway Razr  irons for a few years now and it's time to move on.

Cleveland

... Maybe 15-20 years ago I had some tendonitis in my elbow that ended my season and I had to take 6 months off. At that time there were very few graphite options that were as reliable as steel in both weight and torque. But Aldila had just come out with NV Tour shafts at 130gms and 1.2* of torque and VJ Singh was using them on tour so I gave them a shot. They were actually tighter than my DGS300's and I have never gone back to steel. 

... Over the years I have played:

Aldila NV Pro's at 105gms
Aldila VS Proto's at 100gms and 85gms
Steelfiber 95's
Recoil 95's and 110's
Recoil 95 Prototypes 

... Fwiw, I didn't like the steel fibers as they felt more like steel than graphite but performance was excellent. And the VS Proto 85's were too light for my swing but again excellent performing shafts. The Recoils finally had me ignoring torque as previously I would have found 2.7-4.1* just too loose but that is just not the case with Recoils and they are as accurate or more accurate than any iron shaft I have played. So I would not shy away form shafts like Recoil 460/660's with up to 4.8* of torque if you could use a little more height or distance using a lighter weight shaft. Lots of really good graphite options out there right now.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Maybe 15-20 years ago I had some tendonitis in my elbow that ended my season and I had to take 6 months off. At that time there were very few graphite options that were as reliable as steel in both weight and torque. But Aldila had just come out with NV Tour shafts at 130gms and 1.2* of torque and VJ Singh was using them on tour so I gave them a shot. They were actually tighter than my DGS300's and I have never gone back to steel. 

... Over the years I have played:

Aldila NV Pro's at 105gms

Aldila VS Proto's at 100gms and 85gms

Steelfiber 95's

Recoil 95's and 110's

Recoil 95 Prototypes 

... Fwiw, I didn't like the steel fibers as they felt more like steel than graphite but performance was excellent. And the VS Proto 85's were too light for my swing but again excellent performing shafts. The Recoils finally had me ignoring torque as previously I would have found 2.7-4.1* just too loose but that is just not the case with Recoils and they are as accurate or more accurate than any iron shaft I have played. So I would not shy away form shafts like Recoil 460/660's with up to 4.8* of torque if you could use a little more height or distance using a lighter weight shaft. Lots of really good graphite options out there right now.  

Those Recoil shafts sound good although I'm not sure about going too light.  The steel shafts in my current irons are the TT GS95 shafts which have been good to me.  I generally get plenty of height with my iron shots so it will be interesting to see what graphite shaft will work best for me.

Cleveland

In August of 2014. When I was being fit for my Wishons my fitter and me determined that the AeroTech Steel Fiber shafts worked best. Been loving them every since.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Those Recoil shafts sound good although I'm not sure about going too light.  The steel shafts in my current irons are the TT GS95 shafts which have been good to me.  I generally get plenty of height with my iron shots so it will be interesting to see what graphite shaft will work best for me.

I really, really like the recoils.  I am having a set of 125 Protos put into my Titleist TMBs as I type this.

WITB 2024

Tried it a couple of times, but always wind up going back to steel!.. :rolleyes:   

While graphite steel iron shafts are much better these days, the steel iron shafts are too!...Especially my KBS C-Taper Lite 110's... :P  

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

For you guys who switched to graphite did you do the same with your wedges?  I'm thinking of picking up a Cleveland CBX 56 degree and if I'm going graphite with my iron set should I do the same with any wedges I may choose?

Cleveland

For you guys who switched to graphite did you do the same with your wedges?  I'm thinking of picking up a Cleveland CBX 56 degree and if I'm going graphite with my iron set should I do the same with any wedges I may choose?

... I believe graphite is more important for wedges that is for irons if you are looking for shock absorption and a kinder shaft for your joints. The wedges usually take the biggest divots and your joints take more of a pounding with them than most with their irons. 

... What many find beneficial is heavier graphite shafts in their wedges. I play Recoil 95's in my irons and Recoil 110's in my wedges. I am considering putting a Recoil 125 in my 58*. 

So how young is too young for graphite shafts? I'm only 30 but you guys are making this sound like an excellent option. I too get elbow/wrist pain from too much practice.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

So how young is too young for graphite shafts? I'm only 30 but you guys are making this sound like an excellent option. I too get elbow/wrist pain from too much practice.

I don't think age should define the type of shaft you need/use

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

.... Arguably graphite iron shafts have surpassed steel iron shafts. There is only so much you can do with steel, but graphite allows almost infinite possibilities from low torque for accuracy to higher torque for improved feel. The kick point can be moved anywhere resulting in perfect ball flight. And of course, they are easier on your joints regardless of your age. As I have said many times, I made the switch because of tendonitis in my elbow but I stuck with graphite in my irons for their performance. 

I'm 22 and hoping to have the funds to get graphite shafts in my irons by spring. No point in extra wear and tear on the joints

.... Arguably graphite iron shafts have surpassed steel iron shafts. There is only so much you can do with steel, but graphite allows almost infinite possibilities from low torque for accuracy to higher torque for improved feel. The kick point can be moved anywhere resulting in perfect ball flight. And of course, they are easier on your joints regardless of your age. As I have said many times, I made the switch because of tendonitis in my elbow but I stuck with graphite in my irons for their performance.

Exactly my reasoning for getting graphite now. When I first got into golf, no matter the manufacturer I couldn't control the flight of my irons, skied them all. But seeing how far it's come in the relatively short time, if they haven't already, it won't be long before steel is left in the dust

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I had a set GW with a recoil shaft but ended up selling and buying an RTX 3 with steel shaft.  it wasn't due to the shaft, I just didn't like the set GW as much as the RTX 3.

All 3 of my RTX 3's have KBS wedge shafts in them.  Its probably just in my head but the heavier steel shaft (in my case) feels better on partial wedge shots, chips and pitches.  I might take 3 full swing wedge shots a round so the lack of the graphite shaft isn't an issue for me.

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

For you guys who switched to graphite did you do the same with your wedges? I'm thinking of picking up a Cleveland CBX 56 degree and if I'm going graphite with my iron set should I do the same with any wedges I may choose?

I did not and still play steel in my wedges. I have Hogan TK 15s with graphite and a Vokey SM6 with a Recoil that all perform well. Don't seem to have issues with steel in the scoring clubs.

I am also giving steel one last shot. My fitter put a Recoil 125 in my TMB 7 iron and I was not a fan at all. Glad I hit them before we did the whole set. We stuck with the AMT S300s and dumped the Sensicore inserts in them as an experiment.

WITB 2024

I went to graphite last year.  Arthritis in my hands would hurt like hell for days after playing with steel shafts even with dampening inserts.  Haven't had an issue.  Went to my fitter and ended up in Recoil 95 shafts.  Love them.  Haven't had an issue and now my hands don't hurt after playing.

a. Iron specs: Mizuno MP-33, Dynamic Gold R300, 2* upright, standard length

b. Ping G, 10.5*, standard length, regular Alta shaft

c. Dexterity: right-handed

d. Alabama USA

e. 7 handicap

I did. 31 and still swing 115-118. I'm also using steelfiber 95 regular flex. They are crazy good.

Ping G410 9* hzdrous Green 60g TX

Callaway XR 3 Deep 14* Vista Pro 90X

Callaway paradym super hybrid 16* Ventus blue 9x

Titleist 818 23* Fuji pro 95x

TM P7TW 5-PW Px 6.5

TM MG3 52,56 TW and 60 TW 

Bettinardi BB46

Ok Ok Ok you folks have won me over. Next set I own will definitely be graphite! Time to go easy on the old bones

Cleveland

Archived