TESTERS WANTED! ×

From steel to graphite?

ole gray

I've got the Aerotechs in my wedges as well. The weight difference would be odd if I had stuck with Dynamic Golds in them. I like having continuity throughout the set. 

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Well folks I did it!  I made the leap from steel  to graphite today and have a set of Titleist AP1 716 5 - PW, AW, GW with the Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage TiNi 65 shafts on the way. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Well folks I did it! I made the leap from steel to graphite today and have a set of Titleist AP1 716 5 - PW, AW, GW with the Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage TiNi 65 shafts on the way.

Awesome man! Did you get them in the longer length you had been toying with?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Awesome man! Did you get them in the longer length you had been toying with?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Actually I checked the length and they are .25 longer than the Callaway's. I was fit a few years back at +.025 so it worked out perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

Did you get fitted or go with the gut feeling?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Did you get fitted or go with the gut feeling?

I bought em at Golf Discount online so no fitting however they are set exactly as I have been fit in the past by a professional fitter.  We shall see if my swing or old age has changed those specs. :unsure: 

Cleveland

Enjoy them! Really good set of irons

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Everything I've heard about them is encouraging to say the least.   Thanks buddy!

Cleveland

Ok  guys,,,,, I got my Titleist AP1 714 irons in with graphite shafts so the fun begins.  Now you know all you old bastards that encouraged me to go that route will be responsible if I don't shoot even par on my first time out.....  :D

Cleveland

Ok guys,,,,, I got my Titleist AP1 714 irons in with graphite shafts so the fun begins. Now you know all you old bastards that encouraged me to go that route will be responsible if I don't shoot even par on my first time out..... :D

Good luck and have fun OG. Can't wait to hear about your first round with them.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Early 40s and I never regretted it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

Good luck and have fun OG. Can't wait to hear about your first round with them.

Thanks Rob.   I'm thinking about heading out tomorrow for my maiden journey although it will be Sunday before I can get my mid size grips put on.  

Cleveland

Ok  guys,,,,, I got my Titleist AP1 714 irons in with graphite shafts so the fun begins.  Now you know all you old bastards that encouraged me to go that route will be responsible if I don't shoot even par on my first time out.....  :D

... Who you calling old? I am a spry 64 and my best years are ahead of me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;) 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Been thinking of graphite shafts for about a year.My irons are about 4yr.old and I hit them well with steel shafts but may be in the market for new ones in the spring.I figure a new set will be as cheap as installing new shafts in the old ones.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver :cobra-small: King F6 matrix White Tie shaft

3 Wood : :taylormade-small: Rocketballz 15* Matrix Ozik X-con5

5 wood :taylormade-small: Rocketballz 19* Matrix Ozik X-con5

Hybrid :taylormade-small: Burner 3H , :cobra-small: King F7 4-5 hybrid

Irons  6-PW :cobra-small:  King Cobra SZ

wedges  :cleveland-small: CG16 52*,56*

Putter :odyssey-small:  Sabertooth

Ball :srixon-small: Tour yellow Q Star or :callaway-small: Chrome Soft yellow/black Truvis

... Who you calling old? I am a spry 64 and my best years are ahead of me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;) 

I'm seen guys who were rode hard and put up wet in their sixties and those who you would swear don't look a day over 50. Wednesday is senior day at our local Publix grocery store. You get a percent off ( I'm thinking 15%) your groceries that day.  Well I was checking out and the Lady I'm not familiar with was ringing up the groceries.  I decided to remind her it was senior day and she looked and me funny and said, "you're not a senior".  I said mam you must be liquored up and can't see good because I'm 67.   The boy bagging my groceries said you don't look that old!   I said I do exercise four days a week and play golf the other three so I get plenty of working out.. I'm just wore out on the inside as the outside looks somewhat fit.   I like it when they ask for my license on occasions... :D

Cleveland

Ok guys I've had a couple rounds in with my irons that have the Kuro Rage TINI graphite shafts.  I have seen no let down from the steel GS95 shafts. In fact these graphite shafts have a better feel, great ball flight, and at the end of the day, I feel less beat up.....   Why haven't I made the change years ago?  :wacko:  Thanks for all the posts that helped me with my decision to go graphite!

Cleveland

... Truthfully Ole Gray those of us that have been around awhile remember the early days of graphite iron shafts that were too light, too weak and produced a very high trajectory, poor dispersion and suspect QC. They got a bad rep, and justifiably so, but once they began producing them to play at a Tour level all the way down to an average golfer level, there is no reason not to play them. Especially with the cost of premium steel just as high or higher. Glad they are working for you! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... Truthfully Ole Gray those of us that have been around awhile remember the early days of graphite iron shafts that were too light, too weak and produced a very high trajectory, poor dispersion and suspect QC. They got a bad rep, and justifiably so, but once they began producing them to play at a Tour level all the way down to an average golfer level, there is no reason not to play them. Especially with the cost of premium steel just as high or higher. Glad they are working for you! 

I played today and they are really growing on me.  I'm like an old mule in a fresh corn bin with new teeth.  :D 

Cleveland

Ok guys I've had a couple rounds in with my irons that have the Kuro Rage TINI graphite shafts.  I have seen no let down from the steel GS95 shafts. In fact these graphite shafts have a better feel, great ball flight, and at the end of the day, I feel less beat up.....   Why haven't I made the change years ago?  :wacko:  Thanks for all the posts that helped me with my decision to go graphite!

I'm really glad that shaft is working for you.   It actually didn't work out so well for me last year, I don't know how or why, but I was hitting them so short.  I at first chalked it up to a bad swing day, but it happened over and over, then I would take another iron from a buddy or another set and hit it 15 yards past those.   I ended up biting the bullet and going with a shaft that ihad success with in the past KBS Tour 90 and got the distance back immediately.

That's why I always preface any advice I give on clubs or shafts, it being My Personal experience, every one swings things so differently.   Glad they are working out fo you.  Graphite is definitely easy on these old bodies. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm really glad that shaft is working for you.   It actually didn't work out so well for me last year, I don't know how or why, but I was hitting them so short.  I at first chalked it up to a bad swing day, but it happened over and over, then I would take another iron from a buddy or another set and hit it 15 yards past those.   I ended up biting the bullet and going with a shaft that ihad success with in the past KBS Tour 90 and got the distance back immediately.

That's why I always preface any advice I give on clubs or shafts, it being My Personal experience, every one swings things so differently.   Glad they are working out fo you.  Graphite is definitely easy on these old bodies. 

You're right brother the shaft is such a personal thing for us.  Heck I went to a 70+ gram shaft in my driver and love it. I thought it would be too stout for my old arse however boy was I wrong!  Much better accuracy now and I picked up quite a few yards too.  

Cleveland

Archived