ole gray

From steel to graphite?

Early 40s and I never regretted it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good luck and have fun OG. Can't wait to hear about your first round with them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks Rob.   I'm thinking about heading out tomorrow for my maiden journey although it will be Sunday before I can get my mid size grips put on.  

• Like 1

Ok  guys,,,,, I got my Titleist AP1 714 irons in with graphite shafts so the fun begins.  Now you know all you old bastards that encouraged me to go that route will be responsible if I don't shoot even par on my first time out.....  :D

... Who you calling old? I am a spry 64 and my best years are ahead of me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;) 

• Like 3

Been thinking of graphite shafts for about a year.My irons are about 4yr.old and I hit them well with steel shafts but may be in the market for new ones in the spring.I figure a new set will be as cheap as installing new shafts in the old ones.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

... Who you calling old? I am a spry 64 and my best years are ahead of me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;) 

I'm seen guys who were rode hard and put up wet in their sixties and those who you would swear don't look a day over 50. Wednesday is senior day at our local Publix grocery store. You get a percent off ( I'm thinking 15%) your groceries that day.  Well I was checking out and the Lady I'm not familiar with was ringing up the groceries.  I decided to remind her it was senior day and she looked and me funny and said, "you're not a senior".  I said mam you must be liquored up and can't see good because I'm 67.   The boy bagging my groceries said you don't look that old!   I said I do exercise four days a week and play golf the other three so I get plenty of working out.. I'm just wore out on the inside as the outside looks somewhat fit.   I like it when they ask for my license on occasions... :D

• Like 3

Ok guys I've had a couple rounds in with my irons that have the Kuro Rage TINI graphite shafts.  I have seen no let down from the steel GS95 shafts. In fact these graphite shafts have a better feel, great ball flight, and at the end of the day, I feel less beat up.....   Why haven't I made the change years ago?  :wacko:  Thanks for all the posts that helped me with my decision to go graphite!

• Like 6

... Truthfully Ole Gray those of us that have been around awhile remember the early days of graphite iron shafts that were too light, too weak and produced a very high trajectory, poor dispersion and suspect QC. They got a bad rep, and justifiably so, but once they began producing them to play at a Tour level all the way down to an average golfer level, there is no reason not to play them. Especially with the cost of premium steel just as high or higher. Glad they are working for you! 

• Like 1

... Truthfully Ole Gray those of us that have been around awhile remember the early days of graphite iron shafts that were too light, too weak and produced a very high trajectory, poor dispersion and suspect QC. They got a bad rep, and justifiably so, but once they began producing them to play at a Tour level all the way down to an average golfer level, there is no reason not to play them. Especially with the cost of premium steel just as high or higher. Glad they are working for you! 

I played today and they are really growing on me.  I'm like an old mule in a fresh corn bin with new teeth.  :D 

• Like 2

Ok guys I've had a couple rounds in with my irons that have the Kuro Rage TINI graphite shafts.  I have seen no let down from the steel GS95 shafts. In fact these graphite shafts have a better feel, great ball flight, and at the end of the day, I feel less beat up.....   Why haven't I made the change years ago?  :wacko:  Thanks for all the posts that helped me with my decision to go graphite!

I'm really glad that shaft is working for you.   It actually didn't work out so well for me last year, I don't know how or why, but I was hitting them so short.  I at first chalked it up to a bad swing day, but it happened over and over, then I would take another iron from a buddy or another set and hit it 15 yards past those.   I ended up biting the bullet and going with a shaft that ihad success with in the past KBS Tour 90 and got the distance back immediately.

That's why I always preface any advice I give on clubs or shafts, it being My Personal experience, every one swings things so differently.   Glad they are working out fo you.  Graphite is definitely easy on these old bodies. 

• Like 1

I'm really glad that shaft is working for you.   It actually didn't work out so well for me last year, I don't know how or why, but I was hitting them so short.  I at first chalked it up to a bad swing day, but it happened over and over, then I would take another iron from a buddy or another set and hit it 15 yards past those.   I ended up biting the bullet and going with a shaft that ihad success with in the past KBS Tour 90 and got the distance back immediately.

That's why I always preface any advice I give on clubs or shafts, it being My Personal experience, every one swings things so differently.   Glad they are working out fo you.  Graphite is definitely easy on these old bodies. 

You're right brother the shaft is such a personal thing for us.  Heck I went to a 70+ gram shaft in my driver and love it. I thought it would be too stout for my old arse however boy was I wrong!  Much better accuracy now and I picked up quite a few yards too.  

• Like 2