Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mark Broadie "Every Shot Counts" Presentation

Just got back from an Mark Broadie presentation. We all know who he is, the inventor of the strokes gained analysis. Here are a couple of key takeaways:

1) You can gain the most from putting by working on your short putts (inside of 10 feet).

2) If you don't make the long ones, no worries. On the PGA Tour, players only make, on average, 1.4 putts over 21 feet over the course of the entire 72 holes! Winners only make, on average, 2.4 putts over 21 feet.

3) Golfers lose the most strokes on ballstriking (approach shots). Winners on Tour tend to have the best ballstriking.

4) You're better off hitting driver off the tee. Too many young players don't learn to hit it hard enough. Leave the 3-wood in the bag. Bomb and gouge works somehow...

5) Don't layup to your favorite distance. It never works. Go for the green on par 5s.

It was a great presentation and I learned seveal surprising things. Now to put them to the test.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

It's pretty much common sense.  But I have a few caveats.  (Of course I do, everyone is entitled to their opinion.)

1) You can gain the most from putting by working on your short putts (inside of 10 feet).  Very true, but the pro make % is only 50/50 on 8 foot putts.  Work on never 3-putting from 10 feet.

2) If you don't make the long ones, no worries. On the PGA Tour, players only make, on average, 1.4 putts over 21 feet over the course of the entire 72 holes! Winners only make, on average, 2.4 putts over 21 feet.  Here is where I differ from Broadie.  I think you have to worry about the long ones.  Sure, you practice the 10 footers, but I feel you must practice the long putts to grasp the feel of green speed.  If you don't practice these, you will lose the feel very quickly.  I would much rather have a tap-in than a 3-4 footer.  Since I have been working on speed control on longer putts, I have also made more long putts than I used to!   #bonus

3) Golfers lose the most strokes on ballstriking (approach shots). (If they don't hit it OB first.)  Winners on Tour tend to have the best ball striking. Thank you Mr. Obvious.

4) You're better off hitting driver off the tee. Too many young players don't learn to hit it hard enough. Leave the 3-wood in the bag. Bomb and gouge works somehow...  I agree somewhat.  Young players should focus on speed.  Hit it hard; aim later.  It's more difficult to teach speed than it is to teach aim.  However, If you can't keep the ball in play, then play the longest club that you can keep in play, but hit it with speed.

5) Don't layup to your favorite distance. It never works. Go for the green on par 5s.  Totally agree unless there are hazards in play.  Each person has to analyze their game. The caveat here is that this is the best play if you don't suck at chipping/pitching/bunker play.

I'm still working on writing my book on how to play golf from the bogey golfer's perspective!   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Actually Broadie didn't invent Strokes Gained. That would be Peter Sanders. Starting back in 1999. Somehow Broadie and a helpful media co-opted (stole) Sanders "invention" but you've have to talk to Sanders (I did once) about it. Sanders has a system called Shot by Shot so look it up on the web and read about the history of Strokes Gained. It's quite good.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Actually Broadie didn't invent Strokes Gained. That would be Peter Sanders. Starting back in 1999. Somehow Broadie and a helpful media co-opted (stole) Sanders "invention" but you've have to talk to Sanders (I did once) about it. Sanders has a system called Shot by Shot so look it up on the web and read about the history of Strokes Gained. It's quite good.

Yeah, I know about Shot by Shot. I didn't know that that came first.

It's pretty much common sense. But I have a few caveats. (Of course I do, everyone is entitled to their opinion.)

1) You can gain the most from putting by working on your short putts (inside of 10 feet). Very true, but the pro make % is only 50/50 on 8 foot putts. Work on never 3-putting from 10 feet.

2) If you don't make the long ones, no worries. On the PGA Tour, players only make, on average, 1.4 putts over 21 feet over the course of the entire 72 holes! Winners only make, on average, 2.4 putts over 21 feet. Here is where I differ from Broadie. I think you have to worry about the long ones. Sure, you practice the 10 footers, but I feel you must practice the long putts to grasp the feel of green speed. If you don't practice these, you will lose the feel very quickly. I would much rather have a tap-in than a 3-4 footer. Since I have been working on speed control on longer putts, I have also made more long putts than I used to! #bonus

3) Golfers lose the most strokes on ballstriking (approach shots). (If they don't hit it OB first.) Winners on Tour tend to have the best ball striking. Thank you Mr. Obvious.

4) You're better off hitting driver off the tee. Too many young players don't learn to hit it hard enough. Leave the 3-wood in the bag. Bomb and gouge works somehow... I agree somewhat. Young players should focus on speed. Hit it hard; aim later. It's more difficult to teach speed than it is to teach aim. However, If you can't keep the ball in play, then play the longest club that you can keep in play, but hit it with speed.

5) Don't layup to your favorite distance. It never works. Go for the green on par 5s. Totally agree unless there are hazards in play. Each person has to analyze their game. The caveat here is that this is the best play if you don't suck at chipping/pitching/bunker play.

I'm still working on writing my book on how to play golf from the bogey golfer's perspective! ;)

On number two, what he meant was, if you don't consistently make 20 footers, don't worry, the pros don't either. That's not saying, don't worry about the putts themselves. Obviously, you don't want to three jack from that distance.

On number three, I think you're confusing approach shots with overall performance. Even if your driving, chipping, and putting are great, but you are consistently missing the green on appraches, you are still not going to win. Your approach shots have to be on in order to win.

On number two, what he meant was, if you don't consistently make 20 footers, don't worry, the pros don't either. That's not saying, don't worry about the putts themselves. Obviously, you don't want to three jack from that distance.

On number three, I think you're confusing approach shots with overall performance. Even if your driving, chipping, and putting are great, but you are consistently missing the green on appraches, you are still not going to win. Your approach shots have to be on in order to win.

I agree with what he said.  I just think there is more to be said on some of the points.  What I would have liked to have heard on #2 was:  Don't worry about missing 20 footers, but you better leave the next putt close.  It sounded like Miss a 20 footer? No worries, you've been practicing those 10 footers, so all is good.

I agree completely on #3.  He is just stating the obvious.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I wish there was an app that would let you calculate strokes gained.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

There are apps that calculate strokes gained.   Arccos, shot by shot,  Golfmetric (Mark Boradies app) plus a few others that you can find just by doing a search.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Here's from the guy that actually invented Strokes Gained. (not Mark Broadie)

http://www.shotbyshot.com/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with what he said. I just think there is more to be said on some of the points. What I would have liked to have heard on #2 was: Don't worry about missing 20 footers, but you better leave the next putt close. It sounded like Miss a 20 footer? No worries, you've been practicing those 10 footers, so all is good.

I agree completely on #3. He is just stating the obvious.

Hopefully no one is going to blow a 20 footer 10 feet by the hole! 😂

Hopefully no one is going to blow a 20 footer 10 feet by the hole!

Probably not, but I have run a few by 4-5 feet and left some that much short.  Practicing those putts inside 10 feet helps, but those putts can be missed.  Practicing speed control from 20 feet helps to ensure you only have tap-ins.   ;)

I played today to distances... Played like crap and didn't hit anymore greens or fairways than usual. Next time out, bombs away!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I agree with what he said. I just think there is more to be said on some of the points. What I would have liked to have heard on #2 was: Don't worry about missing 20 footers, but you better leave the next putt close. It sounded like Miss a 20 footer? No worries, you've been practicing those 10 footers, so all is good.

I agree completely on #3. He is just stating the obvious.

Agreed. It's been a while since I read it but from memory I remember thinking that he wasn't explaining it well enough. I think it's extremely important for amateurs to practice long putts. Not with the intention of sinking it, but to not 3 putt.

So many mid-high handicappers 3 putt as a result of leaving the first putt a good 10 feet away.

I normally agree with Kenny but this is a time that I don't. Brodie, his forerunner and subsequent disciples are ground breakers in not the importance of ball striking.

The false notion of drive for show, putt for dough is ingrained in folk lore and still oft repeated even among some of us here. We also have the insane stat of how many feet of putts a guy has made to help keep that myth alive -

When you look at the stats the best ball strikers are the consistent winners. Top 10 putting vs. top ten ball strikers is a rout. It's that way among ams perhaps even more so.

I agree with Kenny that it could damage a guy's scoring ability to ignore working on long big putts. Three putt avoidance is huge - it's like learning to keep the driver in play. Likewise penalty stroke avoidance is key so that does because me a reason to lay up. BTW penalty strokes don't necessarily mean shots in a Hazzard - they could mean in the woods or at a difficult distance - 39 yards from thick rough over a bunker - something like that.

Nice thread - thanks for posting - I better go to work.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 months later...

The gamegolf app is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

The gamegolf app is free.

Unfortunately, with GG, you have to pay for the tags that you put on the end of each club...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, with GG, you have to pay for the tags that you put on the end of each club...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

You don't have to use the tags. In fact i sold my tags and the device several months ago, since i rarely used them and preferred just using the app on my phone. Still use the app, and it gives good strokes gained analysis. No tags or device needed.

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Archived