You guys make MGS a lotta fun. Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

My head might just explode!

Ole Stu and I would be trying to out red neck each other....  lol   :D 

• Like 1

As far as the 2 sided chipper is concerned, I've always thought if you are talented enough to hit that thing left handed, then more power to you

As far as the 2 sided chipper is concerned, I've always thought if you are talented enough to hit that thing left handed, then more power to you

What about that wedge where the insert is basically just sandpaper velcro? I couldn't find a picture but there's also one that doesn't even bother to have grooves, it looks like the bottom of a running shoes.

main-pic-1.jpg

Edit: found it ripstop-illegal-sand-wedge-56-uniflex_1_

And found this one no other place than MGS!

sizemore-FACE.jpg

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

There is a lot of Asian Tour equipment that is perfectly legal there for play but does not conform to USGA and R&A rules. If you get into a lot of JDM stuff you can find it on Flea Bay etc.

From my limited dealing with local pros and rulesmen, the Asian Tour has to follow all rules set by the R&A, including equipment.

I am curious to know what specific equipment is allowed on the Asian Tour that is disallowed by the R&A? I might just decide to pony up for something like that.

Doesn't really pertain to the thread here but before I start pushing daisies I must play a round of golf and have a few drinks with BIG STU.

The stories this man has....💯

Save a round for me BIG STU...

I'm with ya'll

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My head might just explode!🎆

Stroker, Ole Gray, BIG Stu, I want to be the fourth in that group!!!  This could be lots of fun- six hole team matches, individual Nassau's and all sorts of trash- sounds like a blast!@!

• Like 3

I remember looking at my buddy's dad's chipper and actively decided not to pursue one because I'd only be hurting my own game. Just in the same way I've never putted out of a bunker. If you take short cuts and don't learn to do it the right way, you cap your ability level.

There is nothing wrong with putting out of a bunker.  I've done to twice; both times it was a very easy shot, and I knew that I could putt it closer to the hole than using a wedge 95% of the time.  Putt when you can!!

• Like 2

From my limited dealing with local pros and rulesmen, the Asian Tour has to follow all rules set by the R&A, including equipment.

I am curious to know what specific equipment is allowed on the Asian Tour that is disallowed by the R&A? I might just decide to pony up for something like that.

Now it may have to be conforming to R&A rules but 10 years ago or so they did their own thing. I know Bridgestone and TM had some Asian drivers that were non conforming to our rules. Exact models I do not know off hand because I was not into JDM and Asian stuff at the time

• Like 2

Stroker, Ole Gray, BIG Stu, I want to be the fourth in that group!!!  This could be lots of fun- six hole team matches, individual Nassau's and all sorts of trash- sounds like a blast!@!

Ok boys come on down. BTW ddryan you gotta let me hit the Sandy Andy those are great wedges and of all the Wilson wedges I have I do not have one of those yet. 

• Like 2

Ah it's all coming back to me now. I actually did the research because my buddy's dad used a chipper and was deadly with it. We razzed him big-time about using it but he didn't gaf. We were all shooting in the 90s and 100s at the time anyway. It's not the shape or grooves or two sidedness that makes it illegal. It's the fact that the two sides count as two separate clubs which would push most golfers over the 14-club limit. If you wanted to play it in tournament play, you could as long as you ditched something else.

I guess the thing about illegal clubs are people that use them are usually compensating for some weakness in their game. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a scratch golfer that even sees benefit to using one of those in a real tournament. Even the illegal distance balls and drivers are not as controllable as their confirming counterparts.

It's funny that Stu can throw money down with some schlub using these clubs and still take him down. It almost acts like a handicap system or points spread in and of itself.

I remember looking at my buddy's dad's chipper and actively decided not to pursue one because I'd only be hurting my own game. Just in the same way I've never putted out of a bunker. If you take short cuts and don't learn to do it the right way, you cap your ability level.

That guy was an idiot in more than one way-- he had trouble breaking 85 from the senior tees rolling the ball in the fairway and the rough also grounding the club in a trap. He had a big ego and an equally big mouth to go with it too and NO brains. But he had plenty of money but less of it after jacking with me and others.

After he got kicked out of the club for hitting a OB ball out of a man's yard he joined my club. I tried to lay anyone 2 to 1 odds for any amount he would be kicked out of there in less than a year. No takers

I was out there one day just chipping and putting with my Sunday bag. Had my 7 iron thru SW and putter. Now I will admit I could agg him on in a heartbeat. I was minding my own business in the practice area minding my own business. He pulled up with some of his senior buddies and quipped at me "you darn sure do not have many clubs" I told him I had enough to beat his arse with. Ended up playing him from the senior tees for $100 2 down automatic press with just those clubs. I had that won before I teed off. I could hit the 7 iron normal about 160 then and I could hood it down and deloft and hit it about 180 with roll out. I ended up shooting 40 (+4) and beat him 3 bets on the front and he pulled up on me. That was a couple of weeks before the break 100 $1000 bet. Like I said after the break 100 bet he quit messing with me. BTW he got kicked out of my club in less than a year for numerous things some being urinating in plain view on the fairway, driving carts where you were not supposed to and being a general arse to other members and staff. I think he ended up moving to Florida. The Golf Shop boys had long since quit playing with him and no one else wanted to play with him. One of the Golf Shop Boys quipped to me "Heck Stuey you made more money off of him than you did on the minis" Which we figured in the 2 years I dealt with him I took him for at least 10K no joke

• Like 3

Ok boys come on down. BTW ddryan you gotta let me hit the Sandy Andy those are great wedges and of all the Wilson wedges I have I do not have one of those yet. 

I see a road trip coming up next spring/summer timeframe.  Wife wants to check out some of the property in NC, and I can make the additional few miles down to Garden City.  You can hit my Sandy Andy as much as you like- it is a great club - it was my Dad's - (I borrowed it once and never gave it back- and he was ok with that)- he even showed me a neat "Phil Michelson type" flop shot with it to get over high obstacles very close...

I actually have the full set of Wilson Dyna-Powered blades from the 1960's as well, but they need to be refinished and re-gripped- I can do the gripping, but will probably look to have the blades themselves professionally refinished...someday...  and I still cant hit them!!!

• Like 1

Hey Stroker - if you go down next year let me know. I'll be a Granite Stater by then and we can head down together.  I have a feeling we could have a few days of non-stop conversation with BigStu and Ole Gray and probably not have to say much!!!!

Epic - it would be truly, seriously EPIC!!!!

• Like 4

Hey Stroker - if you go down next year let me know. I'll be a Granite Stater by then and we can head down together. I have a feeling we could have a few days of non-stop conversation with BigStu and Ole Gray and probably not have to say much!!!!

I'm going to have to start planning this.

Haven't had a golf trip in a number of years and this would be a lot of fun.

I'll be in touch barbajo...

• Like 1

Hey Stroker - if you go down next year let me know. I'll be a Granite Stater by then and we can head down together. I have a feeling we could have a few days of non-stop conversation with BigStu and Ole Gray and probably not have to say much!!!!

Throw ya'lls arse in the truck and come on down

Now it may have to be conforming to R&A rules but 10 years ago or so they did their own thing. I know Bridgestone and TM had some Asian drivers that were non conforming to our rules. Exact models I do not know off hand because I was not into JDM and Asian stuff at the time

You mentioned non conforming to both USGA and R&A that is why my interest was piwued.

There was a time when the USGA cor limit was .83 and the R&A limit was .86. The Asian Tour which follows the R&A allowed up to .86. It was never that the Asian Tour allowed non conforming equipment. Their governing body and rules were different from the USGA where you probably played under.

Ernie Els when playing European Tour events would sometimes use the R300 Tour which was at the .86 limit but would use the 300 Tour when playing USGA events.

• Like 1

Hey Stroker - if you go down next year let me know. I'll be a Granite Stater by then and we can head down together.  I have a feeling we could have a few days of non-stop conversation with BigStu and Ole Gray and probably not have to say much!!!!

You boys come on down we will have a blast---

• Like 1

You boys come on down we will have a blast---

Hey STU do they allow overalls on that fancy course you're a member at? ;) 

• Like 1

You mentioned non conforming to both USGA and R&A that is why my interest was piwued.

There was a time when the USGA cor limit was .83 and the R&A limit was .86. The Asian Tour which follows the R&A allowed up to .86. It was never that the Asian Tour allowed non conforming equipment. Their governing body and rules were different from the USGA where you probably played under.

Ernie Els when playing European Tour events would sometimes use the R300 Tour which was at the .86 limit but would use the 300 Tour when playing USGA events.

I knew that it was something like that but was not certain. Heck I am old enough I remember when the ball size was different. Those smaller European balls would go like stink in the summer on those hard sun baked red clay based Carolina fairways. They would not stop for crap on the greens though.

Thinking back on the Asian stuff I remember my partner Big John was always getting stuff from the Asian market via California. He got some kind of Asian iron heads that the grooves were at about a 45* angle from the sole to the top line. I did build one of the wedges and I could peel any kind of ball with it. I could really zip it on a green and bring it back off the net in the shop. I actually built the 2 iron and that thing spun like a wedge. I told him those things were illegal as heck and this was in 03 long before the 2010 groove rule was thought of. I never played them on the course period. We sold those heads and I think there were 4 sets of them in a bulk deal when we closed the shop in 08. 2 sets of those heads surfaced last year at the flea market up the street. He also had a source that was getting PRGR hybrid heads before much was known on them. I remember something came up on the legality of them and whether they were legit or not. I know he built some with Harrison Striper shafts and put them on E-Bay. There was some issue on that because they made him pull them off. 

Hey STU do they allow overalls on that fancy course you're a member at? ;)

It ain't that fancy and in fact I am not a member there any more after Dec 31------ Heck they let the tourists do and wear anything they want to so I guess it ain't though I have never seen anyone wear overalls