TESTERS WANTED! ×

Who's better right now - Bernie Langer or JT?

StrokerAce

Who ya got - Langer or Thomas  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got - Langer or Thomas

• Langer on the Champions tour is just superhuman
    • Justin Thomas is the best golfer on the planet
    • I can't choose !! I pick both !

Bernhard Langer does things on the champions tour that must completely and totally demoralize his competitors.  An eagle on 18 to win ???  

The guy completely owns that tour right now.

Justin Thomas with 7 (!) wins at the age of 24 ???  Seriously, can this guy be any hotter. 

A major championship, 59 in a round, fedex cup....Has he become the best player on tour in a very short time ?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I think both are equally good on their respective tours right now. They are pushed by great golfers every week, and both continue to play excellent golf.

Lets just say for arguments sake you can only pick one as your partner for the club tournament.  Who are you going with?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

With all due respect these kinds of discussions come up all the time in sports. Duke could beat the hapless 76ers in Hoops, Alabama the Browns.

Then you look at the rosters and realize how foolish the argument is, that even the 76ers roster is full of All Americans, Cleveland full of All Americans and first team Major Conference All Stars.

There's a reason that the Champion's tour exists. People love to watch their former stars play and those stars are no longer able to compete on the regular tour.

In regards to JT people were saying this about DJ at this time last year, Spieth two years ago and Rory prior to that.

He's on a great run but there's lots of other bear out there, let's give it some more time before anointing him the chosen one.

Langer's performance on his tour is remarkable, particularly the longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Lets just say for arguments sake you can only pick one as your partner for the club tournament.  Who are you going with?

In my case it would be Langer, because if I'm in a tournament, it probably is a senior tournament.  If it's not a senior event, I'd like to partner with JT because playing with young bucks makes me feel younger.   Plus, I genuinely appreciate a young buck being willing to partner with an old coot like me.   As a lefty, it makes me feel like Phil.   But in either case, I would ride them like the horses they are.

With all due respect these kinds of discussions come up all the time in sports. Duke could beat the hapless 76ers in Hoops, Alabama the Browns.

Then you look at the rosters and realize how foolish the argument is, that even the 76ers roster is full of All Americans, Cleveland full of All Americans and first team Major Conference All Stars.

There's a reason that the Champion's tour exists. People love to watch their former stars play and those stars are no longer able to compete on the regular tour.

In regards to JT people were saying this about DJ at this time last year, Spieth two years ago and Rory prior to that.

He's on a great run but there's lots of other bear out there, let's give it some more time before anointing him the chosen one.

Of course I'm not suggesting that the two of them compete against each other.  I would never do that.  That is just silly.

My question is simply  - on their respective tours - which performance are you more impressed with?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Yep! Those "arguments" always make me laugh, the worst guy on the Browns was good enough to be drafted in the NFL! The worst 20 guys on Alabama weren't good enough to get a scholarship to Alabama!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I think relative to the competition, Langer is Superman at the moment! The guy is just so much better than the field that it's not even close. JT is hotter than a $2 pistol at the moment but the rest of the boys in the PGA are giving him a run for his money.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I think relative to the competition, Langer is Superman at the moment! The guy is just so much better than the field that it's not even close. JT is hotter than a $2 pistol at the moment but the rest of the boys in the PGA are giving him a run for his money.

Yea Langer has been an official arse whupper the last few years ... Give the man his Superman cape 🏌️⛳️

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Man, tough to say. As was mentioned, this could be JT's one hot year. Bernhard has been on the Senior Tour since ‘07. He won once in his five entries that year.

Since:

2008: 6 Top 3 in 20 events, 3 wins

2009: 7 Top 3/20, 4 wins

2010: 7 Top 3/23, 5 wins

2011: 1 Top 3/14, 0 wins

2012: 8 Top 3/20, 2 wins

2013: 11 Top 3/24, 2 wins

2014: 12 Top 3/21, 5 wins

2015: 9 Top 3/19, 2 wins

2016: 11 Top 3/21, 4 wins

2017: 11 Top 3/21, 6 wins

There is no question Bernhard is more dominant on his Tour over time. Maybe JT does it again next year, but I say vs his competition, Bernhard is better! 17 wins in the last 4 years is pretty stout, and he's finishing Top 3 in almost 50% of the tournaments he enters for the last SIX YEARS.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My vote would go to Bernhard "Zeh Ultimate German Golfing Machine" Langer; but I'm convinced he's a cyborg which should be grounds for disqualification.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I would have to go with Langer after all he is only one month older than I am. I like the fact he is so precise and calculating. Like yesterday when he was doing this little pitch to a backstop on the green to bring it back to the hole. He took the flag stick out so there would be no chance of hitting it going over. Besides he has my attitude in that he plays what he wants to as far as equipment. No joke he has 2 1999 Hogan Apex long irons (3 and 4) in his bag and the Adams irons he plays are at least a 15 year old design. I also like the fact he learned to use the broomstick putter without anchoring and thus kicked sand it the faces of the USGA and The Golf Channel.

Not knocking JT but being an old fart gotta go with a fellow old fart

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

LOL Rev North Myrtle Beach High School football team could beat the Browns. Trust me I would not try to BS a man of the cloth :D

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

In my case it would be Langer, because if I'm in a tournament, it probably is a senior tournament.  If it's not a senior event, I'd like to partner with JT because playing with young bucks makes me feel younger.   Plus, I genuinely appreciate a young buck being willing to partner with an old coot like me.   As a lefty, it makes me feel like Phil.   But in either case, I would ride them like the horses they are.

Like your attitude man. I don't really know you but I will take you for a partner so come on down. Heck the intimidation factor would be worth 2 a side because these guys would wonder "where did he import that lefty from?"  I specialize in Psyc Ops as an old hustler I usually have the game won before the first tee ball is hit

G

Lets just say for arguments sake you can only pick one as your partner for the club tournament. Who are you going with?

I'll take JT. What he is doing on the PGA tour right now is very impressive, especially with the amount of talented players that are currently on the tour. Langer is doing it against far less talent than JT, but they are both playing very good Golf.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Of course I'm not suggesting that the two of them compete against each other. I would never do that. That is just silly.

My question is simply - on their respective tours - which performance are you more impressed with?

Well that's easy - Langer by a long shot he's been doing it for eight years.

I also think he's one of the most under rated players of all time. Folks think that Greg Norman was the best player in the world in the 80's because he was the best player on a diminished PGA tour. History shows that both Seve and Faldo were better players. What is forgotten is that Langer's career is the mirror image of Norman's with the overwhelming majority of his success coming back by the European Tour.

I'm all in on Langer

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well that's easy - Langer by a long shot he's been doing it for eight years.

I also think he's one of the most under rated players of all time. Folks think that Greg Norman was the best player in the world in the 80's because he was the best player on a diminished PGA tour. History shows that both Seve and Faldo were better players. What is forgotten is that Langer's career is the mirror image of Norman's with the overwhelming majority of his success coming back by the European Tour.

I'm all in on Langer

The only thing that held Langer back in his younger regular tour days on both the European and PGA Tour was his putting yips. If he had discovered the broomstick and his method of using it 30 years ago there is no telling how many tournaments including majors on both sides of the pond he may have won. I watched him on the practice tee at Augusta one year and the sound of the ball coming off those Wilson Staff blades was like no other I had ever heard. He was also hitting persimmon at the time and the sound off his driver was like a Rifle cracking. I guess I must have had a look of awe on my face because he looked at me and commented with a grin "You like that huuh" I said sure do and he grinned again and said "I do too!" i was sorta moving on and I told him "good luck' and he said thanks man

G

The only thing that held Langer back in his younger regular tour days on both the European and PGA Tour was his putting yips. If he had discovered the broomstick and his method of using it 30 years ago there is no telling how many tournaments including majors on both sides of the pond he may have won. I watched him on the practice tee at Augusta one year and the sound of the ball coming off those Wilson Staff blades was like no other I had ever heard. He was also hitting persimmon at the time and the sound off his driver was like a Rifle cracking. I guess I must have had a look of awe on my face because he looked at me and commented with a grin "You like that huuh" I said sure do and he grinned again and said "I do too!" i was sorta moving on and I told him "good luck' and he said thanks man

Yea he seems like a great all around guy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Man, tough to say. As was mentioned, this could be JT's one hot year. Bernhard has been on the Senior Tour since ‘07. He won once in his five entries that year.

Since:

2008: 6 Top 3 in 20 events, 3 wins

2009: 7 Top 3/20, 4 wins

2010: 7 Top 3/23, 5 wins

2011: 1 Top 3/14, 0 wins

2012: 8 Top 3/20, 2 wins

2013: 11 Top 3/24, 2 wins

2014: 12 Top 3/21, 5 wins

2015: 9 Top 3/19, 2 wins

2016: 11 Top 3/21, 4 wins

2017: 11 Top 3/21, 6 wins

There is no question Bernhard is more dominant on his Tour over time. Maybe JT does it again next year, but I say vs his competition, Bernhard is better! 17 wins in the last 4 years is pretty stout, and he's finishing Top 3 in almost 50% of the tournaments he enters for the last SIX YEARS.

Langer must have "... made a deal with the devil."   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My question is simply  - on their respective tours - which performance are you more impressed with?

Both of them. But Langer is just killing it. JT is having a great run, no doubt, but I don't think he can sustain it as long as Langer can/might.

Too many very good players on the regular tour to keep a run like that going. Someone else will step in for a while and we will have this discussion again... which is fine.  ;)

The question is here is one of unrivaled continuous success against one of the better 1 year performances in recent times. I'd say Langer would be my call right now, but there is little doubt that JT is playing out of his gourd right now.

As mentioned above by Keildog, Langer's performance over the past 5 years on the Champions Tour is like Tiger's 99-03 stretch for performance, which is arguably the greatest stretch of performance on any golf tour ever.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Archived