Why is this game so hard?

Our Sponsors

I can't believe no one has bitten yet. It's a mental and physical challenge like hitting a baseball. It requires patience, integrity, humility, self control, humor and lots more.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

It requires being pissed off while at the same time keeping ya cool

• Like 3

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

I'm going with "physics"; specifically the notion that your target is only 4.25" wide and up to 1/3 mile away, over hazard laden natural terrain. The fact that some humans are capable of reliably shepherding their ball around the course under par is baffling.

• Like 4

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

No matter your skill level.What makes this game so difficult?

Because your head gets in the way??

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... When you stop and think about the game, really think about it, controlling a small ball with a stick having different weights, faces and lengths and making it do exactly what you want it to do is insanely radical. Hit it high, low, with spin, without spin and while swinging as hard as you can control your stick with one shot hoping it goes as far as possible, rolling even more and the next requiring a full swing with amazing delicacy and touch hoping it only goes 5 yards to clear a bunker but stops quickly and doesn't roll. Then having an even shorter stick that just makes the ball roll without getting it in the air over uneven terrain that is on a slant and one surface is night and day different than another, sometimes on the same course making the small ball roll faster or slower, might be reasons it is so difficult? And this doesn't even take into account our mental ability to control our emotions as well as focus with razor sharp acuity. 

... My 26yr old son summed it up best. We both played college football and he said "football is very intense and can be extremely difficult, especially physically. But golf is by far the hardest sport I have ever played. With football if I was struggling, I could always put more effort into it. But with golf, any extra effort always results in disaster". 

• Like 9

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

I like the answers above,  the other is that it is never the same twice.   You can play the course back to back and the wind will be different or the temperature will be different all causing the ball to fly or move differently.   

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... When you stop and think about the game, really think about it, controlling a small ball with a stick having different weights, faces and lengths and making it do exactly what you want it to do is insanely radical. Hit it high, low, with spin and while swinging as hard as you can control your stick with one shot hoping it goes as far as possible, rolling out even more and the next requiring a full swing with amazing delicacy and touch hoping it only goes 5 yards to clear a bunker but stops quickly and doesn't roll. Then having an even shorter stick that just makes the ball roll without getting in the air over uneven terrain that is on a slant and one surface is night and day different than another, sometimes on the same course making the small ball roll faster or slower, might be reasons it is so difficult? And this doesn't even take into account our mental ability to control our emotions as well as focus with razor sharp acuity.

Not to mention different courses, different course conditions, temp, humidity, wind, etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

All great replies.Personally, I think the game has so many facets to it.You have long game/iron game/chipping - pitching - bunker/and putting.Each has its own techniques and nuances that just add to the uniqueness of golf

Plus the margin of error between a great shot-mediocre-terrible- is so small at times.Just dwelling on the complexities and challenges to even advance a golf ball straight is mind boggling

• Like 4

Keep it in the short stuff

I can't believe no one has bitten yet. It's a mental and physical challenge like hitting a baseball. It requires patience, integrity, humility, self control, humor and lots more.

Rev, I think a baseball is easier to hit, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSp

I've found the more beer/spirits I consume, the less I care how hard it is. Alcohol is novocaine  for golf. ;) .......and... golf is the most fun you can have while being aggravated to death!

• Like 2

... When you stop and think about the game, really think about it, controlling a small ball with a stick having different weights, faces and lengths and making it do exactly what you want it to do is insanely radical. Hit it high, low, with spin, without spin and while swinging as hard as you can control your stick with one shot hoping it goes as far as possible, rolling even more and the next requiring a full swing with amazing delicacy and touch hoping it only goes 5 yards to clear a bunker but stops quickly and doesn't roll. Then having an even shorter stick that just makes the ball roll without getting it in the air over uneven terrain that is on a slant and one surface is night and day different than another, sometimes on the same course making the small ball roll faster or slower, might be reasons it is so difficult? And this doesn't even take into account our mental ability to control our emotions as well as focus with razor sharp acuity. 

... My 26yr old son summed it up best. We both played college football and he said "football is very intense and can be extremely difficult, especially physically. But golf is by far the hardest sport I have ever played. With football if I was struggling, I could always put more effort into it. But with golf, any extra effort always results in disaster". 

Couple of other things.... the playing field changes daily or completely, the weather is never the same.... and as chisag said, we have a brain. That last one is probably the biggest issue.

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've found the more beer/spirits I consume, the less I care how hard it is. Alcohol is novocaine for golf. ;) .......and... golf is the most fun you can have while being aggravated to death!

We do need to stick a peg in the ground

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

Not sure. Played 54 today at -8....easy game I say.

Now back to reality in that I could shoot three rounds in the 80's tomorrow. What makes this game hard is the slightest adjustment can have adverse results and unless Golf is your full time job then you can't fix a slight adjustment. Right now playing golf happens to be my full time job so it is easy to be consistent. Three weeks ago when I actually had a real job it was brutal to play well in my two rounds a week with no practice.

• Like 2

In the Bag for 2021

PXG 0811X Gen 2 10.5* AD VR 6x

TaylorMade SiM 14* Matrix Red Tie 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311X Gen 2 23* AD DI 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 5-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:cameron-small: Pro Platinum Big Sur 48"

My father likes to say "if it was easy everybody would do it and it wouldn't pay as much."

• Like 4

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 3 months later...

It's hard for everyone.... even the "pros"... 

Can't say I've done this before but I've never putted on greens that are like my kitchen floor either.

Hey, it can happen to anyone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A post shared by PGA TOUR (@pgatour) on

• Like 1

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | SC Newport 3

If golf was easy nobody would play. One day you think you have it and the next day you wonder where it went. It's the never ending quest to have it all come together at the same time. Golf is hard because there are just so many variables day in and day out.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Can't say I've done this before but I've never putted on greens that are like my kitchen floor either.

A post shared by PGA TOUR (@pgatour) on

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:42pm PST

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's awesome! I can't completely relate to that, but close.

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

A post shared by PGA TOUR (@pgatour) on Feb 1, 2018 at 3:42pm PST

Schneiderjans was putting pretty well from what I saw earlier in the round too

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk