TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why is this game so hard?

Big money

I can't believe no one has bitten yet. It's a mental and physical challenge like hitting a baseball. It requires patience, integrity, humility, self control, humor and lots more.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It requires being pissed off while at the same time keeping ya cool

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm going with "physics"; specifically the notion that your target is only 4.25" wide and up to 1/3 mile away, over hazard laden natural terrain. The fact that some humans are capable of reliably shepherding their ball around the course under par is baffling.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

No matter your skill level.What makes this game so difficult?

Because your head gets in the way??

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... When you stop and think about the game, really think about it, controlling a small ball with a stick having different weights, faces and lengths and making it do exactly what you want it to do is insanely radical. Hit it high, low, with spin, without spin and while swinging as hard as you can control your stick with one shot hoping it goes as far as possible, rolling even more and the next requiring a full swing with amazing delicacy and touch hoping it only goes 5 yards to clear a bunker but stops quickly and doesn't roll. Then having an even shorter stick that just makes the ball roll without getting it in the air over uneven terrain that is on a slant and one surface is night and day different than another, sometimes on the same course making the small ball roll faster or slower, might be reasons it is so difficult? And this doesn't even take into account our mental ability to control our emotions as well as focus with razor sharp acuity. 

... My 26yr old son summed it up best. We both played college football and he said "football is very intense and can be extremely difficult, especially physically. But golf is by far the hardest sport I have ever played. With football if I was struggling, I could always put more effort into it. But with golf, any extra effort always results in disaster". 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I like the answers above,  the other is that it is never the same twice.   You can play the course back to back and the wind will be different or the temperature will be different all causing the ball to fly or move differently.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... When you stop and think about the game, really think about it, controlling a small ball with a stick having different weights, faces and lengths and making it do exactly what you want it to do is insanely radical. Hit it high, low, with spin and while swinging as hard as you can control your stick with one shot hoping it goes as far as possible, rolling out even more and the next requiring a full swing with amazing delicacy and touch hoping it only goes 5 yards to clear a bunker but stops quickly and doesn't roll. Then having an even shorter stick that just makes the ball roll without getting in the air over uneven terrain that is on a slant and one surface is night and day different than another, sometimes on the same course making the small ball roll faster or slower, might be reasons it is so difficult? And this doesn't even take into account our mental ability to control our emotions as well as focus with razor sharp acuity.

Not to mention different courses, different course conditions, temp, humidity, wind, etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

All great replies.Personally, I think the game has so many facets to it.You have long game/iron game/chipping - pitching - bunker/and putting.Each has its own techniques and nuances that just add to the uniqueness of golf

Plus the margin of error between a great shot-mediocre-terrible- is so small at times.Just dwelling on the complexities and challenges to even advance a golf ball straight is mind boggling

Keep it in the short stuff

I can't believe no one has bitten yet. It's a mental and physical challenge like hitting a baseball. It requires patience, integrity, humility, self control, humor and lots more.

Rev, I think a baseball is easier to hit, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSp

I've found the more beer/spirits I consume, the less I care how hard it is. Alcohol is novocaine  for golf. ;) .......and... golf is the most fun you can have while being aggravated to death!

... When you stop and think about the game, really think about it, controlling a small ball with a stick having different weights, faces and lengths and making it do exactly what you want it to do is insanely radical. Hit it high, low, with spin, without spin and while swinging as hard as you can control your stick with one shot hoping it goes as far as possible, rolling even more and the next requiring a full swing with amazing delicacy and touch hoping it only goes 5 yards to clear a bunker but stops quickly and doesn't roll. Then having an even shorter stick that just makes the ball roll without getting it in the air over uneven terrain that is on a slant and one surface is night and day different than another, sometimes on the same course making the small ball roll faster or slower, might be reasons it is so difficult? And this doesn't even take into account our mental ability to control our emotions as well as focus with razor sharp acuity. 

... My 26yr old son summed it up best. We both played college football and he said "football is very intense and can be extremely difficult, especially physically. But golf is by far the hardest sport I have ever played. With football if I was struggling, I could always put more effort into it. But with golf, any extra effort always results in disaster". 

Couple of other things.... the playing field changes daily or completely, the weather is never the same.... and as chisag said, we have a brain. That last one is probably the biggest issue.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've found the more beer/spirits I consume, the less I care how hard it is. Alcohol is novocaine for golf. ;) .......and... golf is the most fun you can have while being aggravated to death!

We do need to stick a peg in the ground

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Not sure. Played 54 today at -8....easy game I say.

Now back to reality in that I could shoot three rounds in the 80's tomorrow. What makes this game hard is the slightest adjustment can have adverse results and unless Golf is your full time job then you can't fix a slight adjustment. Right now playing golf happens to be my full time job so it is easy to be consistent. Three weeks ago when I actually had a real job it was brutal to play well in my two rounds a week with no practice.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

My father likes to say "if it was easy everybody would do it and it wouldn't pay as much."

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 3 months later...

It's hard for everyone.... even the "pros"... 

Can't say I've done this before but I've never putted on greens that are like my kitchen floor either.

Hey, it can happen to anyone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A post shared by PGA TOUR (@pgatour) on

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

If golf was easy nobody would play. One day you think you have it and the next day you wonder where it went. It's the never ending quest to have it all come together at the same time. Golf is hard because there are just so many variables day in and day out.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Can't say I've done this before but I've never putted on greens that are like my kitchen floor either.

A post shared by PGA TOUR (@pgatour) on

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:42pm PST

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's awesome! I can't completely relate to that, but close.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

A post shared by PGA TOUR (@pgatour) on Feb 1, 2018 at 3:42pm PST

Schneiderjans was putting pretty well from what I saw earlier in the round too

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

So years ago I'm about a 15-16 handicap and playing with a club pro on hole 5 180 to the pin I hit 6 iron to 18”. Birdie. On 16 510 yard I hit drive and 5 iron and hit the pin 12” eagle putt. I shoot 84. Not bad. After the round drinking a beer the pro says any pro would love to hit those two shots. I said but I shot 84. He said that's the beauty of Golf and why we come back. Enjoy those great shots and forget the bad ones. I'm a 8 handicap now and will never forget what he said.

When I'm having a bad day on the course... and pick up my little white friend and say I thought we had an understanding...I know I used to hit your friend the baseball hard and not care where it went. But things changed I care where you go. Why won't you go where I want you to go!!!!!!!! To answer your question though it's mostly mental. A 90mph fastball doesn't give you time to think. It's a natural reaction at least for me. Same with almost all sports for me. This sports has taken me out of my natural element if you will and forces me to think instead of react. Which is A reason I really enjoy it now. Keeps me wanting more

Simple. Its a "skill" game. But a simple game. (start here put ball in hole there in as few shots as possible) But the hard part is all the different variables involved in each shot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

^ That's it, really!

This game is soooo deceptively simple - on the surface...... Not like say, tennis or baseball, where the ball is moving towards you and the motions required to move to the ball and return it in the opposite direction are so much more complex.

In golf the ball is just sitting there, patiently awaiting its "instructions" as delivered by the clubhead.

And that's what killed me trying to learn this game. My prior activities .. eg. skiing, surfing .. are more dynamic; you're in motion and adapting to the changing slope or wave.

So I'm starting to understand what a HUGE part of this game the mental aspect is ... and starting to understand that you can't really progress until you start to overcome your own internal obstacles and hurdles.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

This game comes down to the wire, minuscule details. A tiny little adjustment of the club face and hands, create a wide array of results. I think of swing like a fan, the better the strike plus path, narrows the fan. All this is even before we get to custom fitting and the mental aspect of the game. Thinking about a hazard, leads to going into the hazard. Then try hitting a purposeful fade, leads to a pull or straight. This game combines physics, geometry, zen yoga, concentration, etc, etc. No one has a exact handle on this game, if they did, they would shoot 18, to coin a phrase.

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

No matter your skill level.What makes this game so difficult?

you are hitting a little hard spinny ball with a shard of metal in a stick. That sounds hard to me.

Sometimes it can be easy though. Shot a 77 today. Personal course record for me.

... As Rosanna Dana said "It's always somethin." I was 2 under thru 12 yesterday and pushed my tee shot into the wind and wound up under some palm fronds. Limited backswing but able to choke down to the metal and hit a surprising good shot back in the fairway... but I hit it too well and it ended up right behind a tree on the other side of the fairway. Turned an 8 iron backwards and left handed it into the fairway where it ended up in the front of a very deep divot. Tried to hit down hard with a DI but it still squirted left and one guess where it ended up? Yea, behind another tree. Another backwards left handed 8 iron to some pine straw and had to keep my next shot under some limbs. Came up a hair short of the green, hit an excellent chip that lipped out leaving me a tap in for an 8, with no penalty strokes! From 2 under to 1 over in one hole and I felt like I only hit one marginal shot, off the tee, and it wasn't that bad. This game can be sooooo hard. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

For me the day to day peaks and valleys are the hardest to deal with mentally. One day you have good control of the ball and the next day it can go anywhere. It seems like improvement should be more linear but not for this game!

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

For me the day to day peaks and valleys are the hardest to deal with mentally. One day you have good control of the ball and the next day it can go anywhere. It seems like improvement should be more linear but not for this game!

There's nothing linear about my game. Not my ball flight, my scores or anything. But I keep coming back.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived