Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tested: FlightScope Mevo Launch Monitor

STUDque

Flightscope-Mevo-102.jpg

This was a data heavy review for the analytical minds so I totally enjoyed it. I especially liked how Toney compared it directly to a high-dollar monitor to give an indication of how close the Mevo gets to the "real" numbers.

I don't have $500 burning a hole in my pocket but I'd consider the Mevo big-time if I did. I don't have an issue with reduced features but I do feel like you should be able to deliver on what features you do have with reliability. My hesitation would center around the inflated carry distance and inaccurate pitching data. To me, those are specific areas where I'd want the exact data presented to translate 1:1 on the course. Luckily, those are calibratable issues in the software so FlightScope should be able to fix them in future releases to provide a more complete product.

Go here for the full story:

https://mygolfspy.com/tested-flightscope-mevo-launch-monitor/https://mygolfspy.com/tested-flightscope-mevo-launch-monitor/

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Great review! I would have liked for a third, budget monitor to be included as well so we could see the difference between The Foresight, the Mevo and maybe an SC200!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I'd love to see how it does compared to the SC200 and maybe one of the Ernest Sports offerings.  I love the compare to a higher end unit because I want to see how accurate it is.  But a comparison to something more in it's price range would be very beneficial.  

For me the lack of any sort of simulator software and having to use the metal stickers on the ball is a deal breaker.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'd love to see how it does compared to the SC200 and maybe one of the Ernest Sports offerings.  I love the compare to a higher end unit because I want to see how accurate it is.  But a comparison to something more in it's price range would be very beneficial.  

For me the lack of any sort of simulator software and having to use the metal stickers on the ball is a deal breaker.

Yeah, I was interested in it until I read the bit about the stickers. Maybe if I had a garage that I could convert into a practice tent/simulator I'd consider it since the quad is crazy expensive, but that day isn't coming in the near future for me living in a condo. I never really read into the product before, mostly because I read about MGS testing it, so I decided I would learn about it through the review, but I always just thought it was something I could plop down beside me at the range to get some quick and dirty ball data -- guess not :(

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Yeah, I was interested in it until I read the bit about the stickers. Maybe if I had a garage that I could convert into a practice tent/simulator I'd consider it since the quad is crazy expensive, but that day isn't coming in the near future for me living in a condo. I never really read into the product before, mostly because I read about MGS testing it, so I decided I would learn about it through the review, but I always just thought it was something I could plop down beside me at the range to get some quick and dirty ball data -- guess not :(

Luckily, the dots are cheap. The annoyance would be sticking the dots to each ball before you start. I agree it would be much easier to use indoors even though the quality of data seemed to spread indoors vs outdoors.

I see this providing value if you're testing club X vs club Y on percentages alone. Those scenarios would make it worthwhile to spend time for setup.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

What I found that was a bit of a pain was lining the Mevo up outside at the range and trying to get it level. I also found that the yardage's carry wise were a little exaggerated. I do think it needs something better for lining up to the ball. Also the SC100 was really good when I had that. And it compared very well with the other higher priced models. It doesn't log anything like spin or launch though. Great unit I just felt like it was very tedious.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G410 9* hzdrous Green 60g TX

Callaway XR 3 Deep 14* Vista Pro 90X

Callaway paradym super hybrid 16* Ventus blue 9x

Titleist 818 23* Fuji pro 95x

TM P7TW 5-PW Px 6.5

TM MG3 52,56 TW and 60 TW 

Bettinardi BB46

I was really excited when I found out about the Mevo coming out. I patiently waited for this review and it's about what I expected. I was hoping carry numbers would have been a bit more accurate but as said an update or two down the road it may be what I'm looking to get for the garage/range. But I think I'll watch the market to see what starts coming out over the next year or so and save some $$ for now

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Other than a direct comparison of one club to another, I don't really see the point of a "personal" launch monitor.  In this situation, a proper fitting level monitor, along with a good fitter is going to be much better value.

I can see people getting one of these and fiddling with their swing to achieve some mythical set of perfect numbers, probably without any professional instruction.

Is having their own launch monitor going to make the average golfer score better?  I doubt it.

Spend the cash on lessons and fitting is likely to be a much better investment.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I wish that more golf courses/practice facilities would rent out launch monitors/trackmans. I know that's a big investment for the course but it sure would be nice to have something available for an afternoon of club testing. Charge us $20/hr for usage and after 900 hours, the thing is paid off! Simple as that! It's easy to prove something is logical when it's someone else's money!

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Great article!  I think that price point would be my ceiling. As a high handicap golfer, I would like to see the flight path and accuracy.  I will definitely consider putting this on my wish list.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

Other than a direct comparison of one club to another, I don't really see the point of a "personal" launch monitor.  In this situation, a proper fitting level monitor, along with a good fitter is going to be much better value.

I can see people getting one of these and fiddling with their swing to achieve some mythical set of perfect numbers, probably without any professional instruction.

Is having their own launch monitor going to make the average golfer score better?  I doubt it.

Spend the cash on lessons and fitting is likely to be a much better investment.

A fitting costs 1/3rd of what the Mevo costs and lasts what an hour?

Lets say you buy a mevo for $500, use it for 2 months and sell it for $350. 

For that $150 you could have had a 1 hr fitting. Hope your swing was on that day!

With the Mevo, you get to dial in your driver settings, gap your wedges, use compare your launch angle to tour averages to see where you stand, etc etc. 

Its a no brianer if you treat it as a short term rental.

Would like a better understanding of driver spin from the test. 

outdoors with sticker spin ranged basically 1400-2900 avg 2141 avg diff vs gc2: 107 gc2 5th shot removed

Indoors with sticker spin ranged 2650-3450 avg 2928 avg diff vs gc2: 376

Questions:

Same tester?

Same Ball?

Mental block hitting inside?

Florescent lights or other things FS says might interfere with Mevo inside?

I wish that more golf courses/practice facilities would rent out launch monitors/trackmans. I know that's a big investment for the course but it sure would be nice to have something available for an afternoon of club testing. Charge us $20/hr for usage and after 900 hours, the thing is paid off! Simple as that! It's easy to prove something is logical when it's someone else's money!

Its coming! And it's even better than renting a personal monitor.

https://trackmangolf.com/products/range

Now is it coming to a course near you? I doubt any time soon, but to me, the trackman range is the answer to this whole discussion.

Cheap personal monitors will have to bridge the gap in the mean time. Maybe range ball companies will start selling range balls with reflective paint dots - kind of like a different take on the Callaway Truvis pattern.

If the trackman range is successful, the next step might be to mount a trackman on the roof of your cart and have it tracks the shots of your foursome off the tee. Would speed up play! 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

$500 and I have to put little dot stickers on all my balls.....Not for me.   I'd rather have something I can take to the range and still has the versatility to take on the course for practice.

Driver, Callaway Epic:

Fairway Wood, Callaway Epic Flash 

Hybrid, Callaway Apex

Irons, Callaway Apex Pro Irons 5 to UW S Flex:

Wedges, Callaway MD3, 54, 58. Callaway Forged 60

Putter, Odyssey O works, #1 Tank, counter balanced

When I did my Cobra fitting at the PGA Superstore in The Woodlands I noticed that they have 6 bays with Trackman and you can rent the bay by the hour or they have a $99 yearly pass...if I lived closer I would jump on that!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

When I did my Cobra fitting at the PGA Superstore in The Woodlands I noticed that they have 6 bays with Trackman and you can rent the bay by the hour or they have a $99 yearly pass...if I lived closer I would jump on that!

Is that the practice area? I've only seen the GC Quads in the fitting bays and that's what I got a driver fitting from. I had no idea they had Trackman in the practice area. I might have to jump on that...especially since I live/work 4 miles from that store. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Is that the practice area? I've only seen the GC Quads in the fitting bays and that's what I got a driver fitting from. I had no idea they had Trackman in the practice area. I might have to jump on that...especially since I live/work 4 miles from that store. 

The PGATSS by me has whatever is one step up from optishot in the practice bays. I think they are still on GC2 in the fitting bays. I would be shocked if they actually had  $100k worth of TRACKMAN units at a PGATSS. Still not enough to get me to move back to TX tho :)

Archived