Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MA High School Boys Tourney Winner is a Girl - & They Won't Give Her The Trophy!

GolfSpy Barbajo

Rules are rules, I get that. But sheesh......

High school golfer not awarded first-place trophy -- because she's a girl

Emily Nash, a junior at Lunenburg High School, won the Central Mass. Division 3 boys' golf tournament at Blissful Meadows on Tuesday with a 3-over-par. It was four shots better than runner-up Nico Ciolino of the Advanced Math and Science Academy Charter School.

She didn't get the first-place trophy and won't get an invitation to next week's tournament in Wyantenuck CC in Great Barrington, however, because a girl competing in the tournament is against the rules, the Worcester Telegram & Gazette reported.

1508949409306.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

High school golfer Emily Nash tees off at the Central Mass. Division 3 Golf Tournament at Blissful Meadows.  (Courtesy of Telegram.com)

“It's a real injustice that she wasn't announced as the winner,” Robert Dufresne, a volunteer rules official with the Massachusetts Golf Association, who helped oversee the tournament, told the newspaper.

According to the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association, “girls playing on a fall boys' team cannot be entered in the Boys Fall Individual Tournament. They can only play in the Boys Team Tournament. If qualified, they can play in the spring Girls Sectional and State Championships.”

1508949489150.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Emily Nash won the Central Mass. Division 3 Golf Tournament but won't take home the trophy.  (Courtesy of Telegram.com)

The Telegram & Gazette reported Nash's score on Tuesday only counted toward the team's total, which was not enough to qualify for the state tournament.

Nash and her coach were reportedly aware of the rules before Tuesday's tournament began, and decided she should play anyway.

Ciolino, who was awarded the first-place trophy, offered his rival the trophy, but she declined to accept.

Kevin Riordan, director for the Central Mass. Division 3 boys' golf tournament, called Ciolino's gesture a “classy act” and said he plans to personally purchase a first-place trophy for Nash.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious if she played from the men's tees or separate women's tees. I could see how that would put them in a tricky gray area.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Just curious if she played from the men's tees or separate women's tees. I could see how that would put them in a tricky gray area.

From everything I've read on this, she'd played the same tees as the boys...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well the media coverage worth more than the trophy. I'd say it's a win-win overall. She gets to compete with the boys and beat them to pulp and instead of a trophy she gets a hard drive full of news. Not to mention future pay back for this mishap.

If they won't let her compete in the future boys tournaments then it would appear that they are scared of her. The way I see it she's set. Yes a trophy would have been nice.

The rules officials need to give that little Lady what she earned and man up!  Good on the young man for his gesture.  He needs to run the tournament next year.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

When I was in high school the best runner on the boy's cross country team was a girl - she won every race her junior and senior year - I don't recall there being a problem with trophies or anything - doubt anyone cared or if there were any rules.. She eventually went on to win a bronze medal in the women's 10K in the Seoul  Olympics.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

When I was in high school the best runner on the boy's cross country team was a girl - she won every race her junior and senior year - I don't recall there being a problem with trophies or anything - doubt anyone cared or if there were any rules.. She eventually went on to win a bronze medal in the women's 10K in the Seoul  Olympics.

I can see points from both sides. I'm sure she's not looking for a trophy. I bet she's over the moon kicking those ball boys' butts. If you make exceptions then it'd be a double standard and further proves that boys are better than girls. The game is governed by rules I'm sure she knows it and respect it.

Years back, my younger sister was one of the athlete participated in SEAgame in the sport of Judo. She's good and got better because she usually practiced more with the boys. The boys wanted to practice with her because she was good and she kicked all their butts, which made all of them better, win-win.

She did know the rule going in - and it's very cool that the 2nd place finisher offered her the trophy. Equally classy of her to decline it, and for the tournament director to buy her one out of his own pocket.

It does show that trophies are really nothing - all the kids in the tournament know, and she knows. I would think there's more than enough satisfaction in that. Sometimes it takes kids to show us adults what maturity really is.

And I bet the rules change.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Congrats to the young lady. Having raised a daughter who use to beat the boys in HS track all of the time I can empathize. It's time to remove the barriers.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It does show that trophies are really nothing - all the kids in the tournament know, and she knows. I would think there's more than enough satisfaction in that. Sometimes it takes kids to show us adults what maturity really is.

Speaking of trophies, my mom made me clear out some of my boxes from her house and I found a bunch of my old trophies. I threw away all but one. It's really the memories and stories that matter most. This young lady has a doozie of both.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I've got only one problem with this.

If a boy were to play in the girls individual tourney, and he happened to win, would we be having the same conversation. I for one do not agree with her being allowed to even tee it up in the boys tourney. I know I'm in the minority here, but if there is a women's team that she can play on why is she allowed to do both.

I think it's great that she won, but they also knew what the rule was before playing.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I agree with a few of the others, this worked out well all around. 

The officials of the event followed the rules, exactly what they were supposed to do. 

The top official recognized the injustice of the rules, while he did his job in accordance with those rules. 

The runner-up recognized the unfairness, and made a very magnanimous gesture,

and the young lady did a fine job of understanding the rules and declining the gesture. 

I find it a bit odd that allow her to play in a boys team event, but not in a singles event, but I imagine that those rules will be re-evaluated pretty quickly.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Congrats to the young lady. Having raised a daughter who use to beat the boys in HS track all of the time I can empathize. It's time to remove the barriers.

This would not be fair to the boys. :). Girls are smarter and have much higher tolerant to pain and stupidity. We have no chance.

If a boy were to play in the girls individual tourney, and he happened to win, would we be having the same conversation. I for one do not agree with her being allowed to even tee it up in the boys tourney. I know I'm in the minority here, but if there is a women's team that she can play on why is she allowed to do both.

I think it's great that she won, but they also knew what the rule was before playing.

And in no way does it indicate she's whining for a trophy. She won - the guy who finished 2nd did the right thing and offered her the trophy, and she did the right thing by declining.

To me, that's the key takeaway - two kids who get it.

Apparently there was no fall girl's golf offered by her school - the article indicates there is a spring league, but nothing in the fall.

Another tale from high school - we did have a boy who tried out for and played on the girls softball team, and another guy played for the girls field hockey team. It was unusual for 1978, but the guy on the softball team had to wear the same uniform. The field hockey team did not make their guy wear the skirt uni.

When I was on the soccer team we played the girls field hockey team to a challenge match - they kicked our ass!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Good on both of those kids. They entered knowing the rules and played by them. BTW... we have a girl here that plays on one of the HS teams. I follow their golf and this girl can beat any of the HS guys. Anytime - anyday - any course. In fact she recently shot a tournament round of 65. Yes.. she was medalist also.

Keep an eye on this story. You know the SJW will be coming out of the woodwork on this one. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Without getting too much into politics and social inequality, I'm glad these young folks are able to see beyond the outdated rules and recognize her skills as an individual.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Without getting too much into politics and social inequality, I'm glad these young folks are able to see beyond the outdated rules and recognize her skills as an individual.

Yeah - I'd say the kids showed the grownups a thing or two. I'm sure the ruling body never in a million years ever figured they'd ever have to enforce the rule. Smart thing to do now is change the rule...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Update - our man tvgolfer, from the Cobra Connect Challenge - is doing a story on the young lady on tonite's Channel 7 News in Boston.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Here's a link to Tvgolfer's story - apparently she didn't know ahead of time that she wouldn't get the trophy. Tourney directors told her coaches, but the didn't tell her until afterwards so she could play with a clear head.

http://whdh.com/news/lunenburg-girl-wins-boys-golf-tournament-but-is-denied-championship-trophy/

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Frankly I'm surprised at the rule - girls are allowed to compete in boys sports, any boys sport, in Florida. We've had two girls from Bayou compete in boys golf events and do very well.

I guess Florida is a more progressive state than Massachusetts. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Frankly I'm surprised at the rule - girls are allowed to compete in boys sports, any boys sport, in Florida. We've had two girls from Bayou compete in boys golf events and do very well.

I guess Florida is a more progressive state than Massachusetts. :)

What's kind of on the absurd side is, if I'm getting this right, the rules says girls can play in the tournament, they just can't actually win the tournament. How badly do grownups screw up kids sports??

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

She and the coach were notified ahead of time according to the article. This doesn't make it right by any stretch of the imagination, but at least it wasn't a complete shock for her.

I just don't understand how her score can count for the team, but she can't count it as an individual. Pick one or the other. Let her play and win or tell her simply needs to wait until the spring to complete.

Hopefully she wins the individual girls title and that way she comes home with some hardware.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

It doesn't seem right that girls get two seasons -- spring and fall -- but boys can only play in the fall. Why can't boys play on the girls' team in the spring and play from the forward tees? As long as they don't get the trophy, of course...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I'm with Korey on this one.  It's a fact that girls mature earlier than boys, so conceivably she has been playing at a higher level longer than equivalent age boys.  I applaud her for wanting to play, but the tournament rules should have excluded it.  The question is Why is there a fall boys tournament and not a girls fall tournament?  It also makes absolutely no sense that her score counts for the team but not individually.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm with Korey on this one. It's a fact that girls mature earlier than boys, so conceivably she has been playing at a higher level longer than equivalent age boys. I applaud her for wanting to play, but the tournament rules should have excluded it. The question is Why is there a fall boys tournament and not a girls fall tournament? It also makes absolutely no sense that her score counts for the team but not individually.

Because the girls tourney is in the spring. There is not a boys league in the spring, only fall.

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Because the girls tourney is in the spring. There is not a boys league in the spring, only fall.

We have boys and girls H.S. tournaments at the same time in the spring.  We also have AJGA events in late summer.  I assumed they both had tourneys in the spring.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If you're gonna let her play, let her win. It's not complicated. Good on everyone involved for being good sports despite this ridiculous rule.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Speaking of trophies, my mom made me clear out some of my boxes from her house and I found a bunch of my old trophies. I threw away all but one. It's really the memories and stories that matter most. This young lady has a doozie of both.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Couldn't agree with you more. I can't even tell you how many trophies/medals I have boxed up. When I clean out my parents place, I'll likely get rid of them all aside from one or two trophies and a handful of medals

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I just read an article where her Dad gave the actual story here, the coaches knew he was allowed to play, but that she could not win the trophy, the coaches did not tell her until after the round was completed. He also said that she did not make any kind of deal out of it, and understood. Apparently someone who was there did not like the outcome, and talked to the press about their dissatisfaction. He said that she did not have any problems with anything that happened.

Also, she competed from the same tees under the same rules as the boys.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

If she competed from the same tees she should absolutely be declared the winner. My home state PGA allows women pros to compete in Men's Open events BUT gives them a forward set of tees AND allows them to wear the Women's PGA dress code (shorts, skirts and skorts). That makes a difference in late July when male pros and us amateurs are all forced to wear slacks in the State Open because it's a PGA event. I've been shaking my head over that arrangement for a few years now. By all means play, but everyone play by the same rules. Sorry got off topic. Yeah this young lady is awesome . Good for her

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Archived