Sluggo42

What was your Shot of the Day?

Hit my drive into a tree I normally hit over, and it dropped the ball right at the base of the tree in the bark. So I had 190 up hill to an elevated green. So, I grabbed my Hybrid which had just gotten me a birdie on the last hole. So I called the shot to my buddy and said “hold my beer”

dang if it didn’t get on the green and let me save par. We always say “hold my beer” when we try an I’ll advised shot, but we’re not really drinking them

• Like 1

easy call today

50 yd chip-in for eagle on first hole... BAM!

2ond place - 311 yd drive on 17

3rd - 110 yd gap wedge that followed that last drive to within 2 feet for birdie

• Like 6

I sank a 54 foot putt on the par 5 twelfth hole today! BIRDIE! I missed three birdies inside 10 feet, but made this one. Crazy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Had 190 into a slight breeze. Hit a 4 iron really well, but a yard short of the green.

but it was nice to hit a 4 iron really well haha.

• Like 1

154 yards out, all carry over water and green side bunker....nice smooth 7 iron into the wind...took one hop and stopped inside of 2 feet for my only birdie of the day.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Besides the red hot putter, my shots of the day came via the chip shots:

30 yard flop over a deep trap to 1 foot to save par

15 yd  ump and run with 8 iron to about 4” to save par

45 yd punchy PW from the junk under a tree, just to get on the green. Rimmed the bird from 40 feet, saved par.

now that I think about it, I had a lot of scrambling today...

• Like 2

15th hole - par 3 157 into the wind - perfect 6 iron for me. But I had just hit a miserable 6 iron the hole prior that was a half s.... so predictable I protected, hit a bit of a smother hook into the left trap, short sided and a deep so a bit downhill.

The sand at SPCC is very consistent so I knew what I had, opened my 60 up, opened my stance up, swing hard, thump, high, hit soft in the fringe, trickled down to the pin and lipped out, tap in par.

Had great looks for birdie the last three holes, including on 17 which is a gentler and kinder version of another 17 that you may have seen on TV before. It was a wonderfully intimidating tee shot at 130 - should have been a perfect 9 but feathered the 8 - and long leaves a treacherous down hill putt. Was 20 feet right just past hole high - tap in

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Pushed a 5 iron just right of the green, leaving me a tough downhill chip to a small portion of the green where the pin was today- always a tough spot.

shot a flopper that landed soft and rolled up to pin-high.. I’m having more and more chip shots ending up as my shot of the day. I think that’s a good thing...

1F3C446A-4FF7-4748-961A-EDA1DB632632.thumb.jpeg.620007097fe40d8ce9736033350ad899.jpegD3899095-4896-4983-B71C-D23D70E82A53.thumb.jpeg.cf00970c74ce8bb50953383a0ccef8d4.jpeg

• Like 4

I had 2 actually today. 2nd shot on a longish uphill par 4. From about 165 out I stuck a 6 iron 5 ft from the pin. Missed the downhill bird putt though. Bleh.

On the second one I hit a gap wedge on a short par 3 inside a foot for the tap in bird. I made that one. ; )

I was really feeling my irons and wedges today. I had a buddy tell me to shorten my backswing and suddenly I'm hitting it straighter than ever before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I was about 35-40 yards right of the green. Sitting just on edge of the adjacent fairway. I could not see the green due to three large pine trees in front of me(about 10 yards). Had only one option, to try a flop shot and wish for some luck. Boy did that luck happen! Ended up sticking it on the green and was able to save par.

• Like 1

Par 3 17th - the back 9 was brutal, wind kept picking up and we were into it most of the 9. Absolutely chunked my 6 iron from 170 into a trap short and left - high lip, grass to carry to front pin, hit it perfectly, landed in the front fringe, trickled to about 5 feet and rolled in the putt. Pared the last too for a 77.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, revkev said:

Par 3 17th - the back 9 was brutal, wind kept picking up and we were into it most of the 9. Absolutely chunked my 6 iron from 170 into a trap short and left - high lip, grass to carry to front pin, hit it perfectly, landed in the front fringe, trickled to about 5 feet and rolled in the putt. Pared the last too for a 77.

Way to scramble out there Rev! Reminds me of a shot I was faced with a couple of weeks ago I neglected to share...see below...

At my home course a couple of weeks ago (last time I've been able to play), my approach shot (3'rd) into the par-4 7th went long and just absolutely plugged into the sliver trap that encompasses the entire backside of the green. Actually not a bad place to be considering the alternative could have been flying that sand and bouncing OB over the road that is protected only by a 4' tall wide-slat fence. I just wished the lie was better, cuz man it was totally buried, and right behind the lip to boot by maybe 6-8". Grabbed my trusty 58*, dug in and simply blasted it out nice-n-clean. Unfortunately I had no control of it really and it flew just right of the pin that was cut on the top tier and rolled out way below to 25' or so. Did manage to 2-putt and get out of there with a 6 so for me that was a win.

• Like 2

I was playing the Links golf course (it’s not really a links course, but good layout) at San Destin,FL for the first time yesterday. I was having a horrible round - way over handicap, but managed to salvage something decent out of the last 5 holes. Last long shot of the day was from 170 yds to about 8’ with my 3 hydrid (choked down a bit). Tap in the for the par. 57194544057__44938361-85CE-4A3D-8A0B-A82C3454DBAA.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Last joke of the day, #17 Par 5, 60 yards out took my 58* wedge and put my ball right over the top of the pin to about 8’. Made the putt!

• Like 3

On 2/16/2019 at 5:57 PM, fozcycle said:

Last joke of the day, #17 Par 5, 60 yards out took my 58* wedge and put my ball right over the top of the pin to about 8’. Made the putt!

Last “joke” of the day?

200 out behind a tree, a lake, in the rough, on the side of a mild hill.

hit a Hybrid. With a baby cut 6’ from the pin.....

missed the putt...

• Like 3

Missed this thread somehow. Played the other day and had a few memorable shots. 

1st- Par 4 into the wind. Ballooned a drive into the right rough with that leaves you behind a big hill and some tall bush that leaves the green blind. Had about 170 yards and thought I'll pull out a 7iron and try to give it my all. Gave a little more spine tilt and swung out of my shoes and it so pure. The ball cleared the hill and bush so I run around the corner just in time to see it land a few yards passed the pin and roll out to the edge of the green. Two putt for par but I was happy. 

2nd- 550 or so yard par 5 thats slightly downhill. One of those holes you get on the tee box and want to smash the driver and usually push it right or pull it left because you swing too hard. I had been hitting drives pretty well for the most part so I figured I'll put a little more into this one. Tee'd it high and let it fly. Driving up in the cart it shows on the gps how long your shot was from whatever tee you were at and I was getting closer to the ball and it said 260 yards but still had a ways to get to the ball. I pull up next to the ball and look. 330 yards. Hot damn I was ecstatic! (Skulled the hybrid from 215 out following the drive and wedged it in from 60 yards. Two putt par)

3rd- 16th Par 4. Skinny fairway with some perfectly placed bunkers that also have some tall palm trees in a line that if you dont hit the fairway you'll be trying to sneak in between the palms to get on the green. Of course I push it a little right and leave it in some heavy rough just short of a bunker and in front of me, the line of palms. I was about 145 out from the pin. I pulled 9 iron to get something up there. I hit it clean and squeezed it in between the palms to get on in two and off course, two putt par from about 12 feet. 

• Like 3