What was your Shot of the Day?

The weather hit 49° today, so we decided to give it a go.  Cart path only, which sucks.  But shot of the day was when I left my putter in the cart, so I holed out with a SW from on the green 25 feet away. 

• Like 5

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First hole in One ever today. 173 yard Par 3 Forth at Ko’olina Golf Course in Hawaii. Slightly up hill so I pulled a 5 iron. The ball was on the flag from the time it left my club. I thought it

150 ish 7 iron for my first ever hole in one... came from back there over the water and the high lipped sand trap  and went over the pin into the little hill to  the upper tier of t

Almost had my first hole-in-one...

Posted Images

Got to play and for that matter swing a club for the first time in nearly 3 weeks.  To add to it there was a two person scramble going on - we arrived at 1:45 for a 2:30 tee time (normally we can cover 18 in under 3 hours at my club) and told that if we wanted to get the round in we better go now - so no warm up other than a few stretches and blue stick swings.

I drove the ball great and surprisingly putted well all day but the front nine was brutal with two doubles and a triple to go with a birdie and lots of other crap into and around the green for 44.  I did figure out on 9 that I was standing too far away from the ball and made the adjustment on my approach shots on 10 and 11 (one right one left, both hole high and solid though instead of thin, thinner, thinnest which is what I had on the front nine.)  I bogeyed 10 from a trap and found myself totally short sided on 11, in thick rough with a pin that was tucked against the ridge, big ridge that runs through the center of the green - I did however draw a great lie - with only 25 feet I nudged it out with my 60 (carried the ball about 5 feet, landed it 10 feet left of the hole, it rolled down the ridge catching a piece of the cup as it leaked past to 5 feet - rolled in the putt for par, rolled in a 25 footer for birdie on the next hole and made all pars, mostly easy ones, from there on home!

That pitch shot turned the round around.

• Like 8

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Played in a league match play event a couple of weeks ago.
It was me (B-flight middle of the pack guy) vs. low-cap A-flight front runner.
We arrive at 17 with me down one playing to stay alive in the match.
A-flight guy pipes one down the middle to about 140. Even the 50 yard tee advantage didn’t help me as I pull hooked a 3-wood off the left side.
An almost exhaustive search located my ball sitting in the rough, halfway down the slope of a shallow ditch, at about 115 yards with a tree and shrubs blocking my direct line to the hole.
Opponent puts his ball on the green, so, this hole played straight up, I’m forced to go for the aggressive shot.
Choke down an inch on the 9 iron, turn it in a bit, play back in the stance, and turn the hands over to get the punch hook around the tree.
Couldn’t have struck it any more pure. Mid flight my opponent yells ‘golf shot!’ from the fairway. As the ball lands on the front right fringe and rolls up onto the green, another in the group says ‘B flighter my arse (he’s from South Africa). Reaching the green I’m just inside 10 feet for my birdie while my opponent has 25 for his.
He misses, I make to go to 18 all square. A push there and a par/net birdie on the first extra hole won me the match.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Love it!

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Had a downhill 7i 152 from the green after piping my drive down the middle (a rarity, I know!) and I put it 10 feet from the flag. Lipped out the birdie putt 🤬 

• Like 8

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

54 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Had a downhill 7i 152 from the green after piping my drive down the middle (a rarity, I know!) and I put it 10 feet from the flag. Lipped out the birdie putt 🤬 

I get a lot of downhill lies in the fairway at my course, and after all these years I still have trouble with them.  Good shot!!

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I get a lot of downhill lies in the fairway at my course, and after all these years I still have trouble with them.  Good shot!!

Thanks! That shot helped kick off a string of pars for me.

2 pars in a row can be considered a “string” right???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

13 hours ago, russtopherb said:

A string can be connected between two points so absolutely 🙂

• Like 5
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Definitely, I had mostly bogies today so not a good string[emoji33]

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On the 17th hole today I hit a 317 yard drive that cut the corner on a dogleg and left me 145 in for a par 5. Hit the green but two putted for birdie. Reason it was a highlight is it was my first 300+ drive in a few months. Been working on my swing to hit a controlled fade and it’s awesome to finally see the fruits of my work.

• Like 9

Soon to be replaced by Cobra Gear. Thank you MyGolfSpy and Cobra!! 

Driver: TSi3 8 Diamana D+ 70TX

TSi2 16.5 Tensei Raw White 85TX

DI: ZX Utility 18* AD DI 95x 

Irons: 4 - Z765 X100 AND 5-PW MIURA CB X7

Wedges: SM8 50.12 at 51,  RTX zipcore 55, 60 mid - all KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 

Scotty Phantom 5.5 superstroke Flatso 1.0

-PROV1X

Short par 3, 108 yards slightly uphill to an unguarded front pin. Licking my chops I...shanked it. Ended up about 20 yards right and 10 yards short, with a bunker between me and the pin, and a few pine tree branches dangling just in the wrong spot. No other option than an almost full swing Phil-flop and dropped it right next to the hole! One foot away, just tapped it in with my wedge, feeling like Lefty himself 😎

• Like 3

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

3/Driving Iron (18°): :Hogan: UiHi Iron (KBS Tour V 110g shaft)

OR

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-4)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50°, 54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

#6 at my local course. Par 3, typically plays 190 from the blues. Pin is often in the back right, which from the teebox the visual of the green is blocked by a ridge. You can kind of see it in the second picture, which is why I have the measuring line to the left. Anyway, you can see the top 2 feet of the flag sticking up, but it's one of those that you have no idea how good the shot is until you get up there. 

Anyway, my playing partner hits a slight push that drifts up towards the right, but looks about the distance. Hard to tell. I decided to try to hit a soft fade with a 4 hybrid that looked right at it to me. We get up there and I must have taken a hard bounce because I am in the rough, slighty long and right, and my partner has a 20 footer for birdie. Would have bet big money from the cart that I was the one on the green. I actually had to go back to the cart to get my wedge. But I hit the 50 degree, toe down, nice putting stroke from a downhill lie. Quite a bit of downhill and right to left movement on the green and it is just tracking beautifully. Rolling perfect, slowing perfect, breaking perfect, until it rests at the edge of the cup, and then pauses for a half second and then plops into the cup. What a feeling! Got to love a 0 putt birdie. Can't what to experience a hole in one one day, or at least holing out on a full shot of some sort. 

image.png.bf3c26de5a4d1fa6131cd9f00ad0ea71.png

image.png.00c01bf119fafddacebd9f297f4df9c1.png

• Like 4

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Oban Gold
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • 4 weeks later...

Par 3, about 160 yards today, but downhill. Hit a smooth 7 iron with the new Srixons. Launched high, stopped dead on the green where it landed, 12 feet from the hole. Made the 12 footer for birdie. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Par 3, about 160 yards today, but downhill. Hit a smooth 7 iron with the new Srixons. Launched high, stopped dead on the green where it landed, 12 feet from the hole. Made the 12 footer for birdie. 

How are zx5 working for you?

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with  :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS 7X. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34")

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

9 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

How are zx5 working for you?

Love the ZX5s so far, but only have played them one round. I had swapped out the JDM 950 GH DST shafts. Those things were some soft shafts. Note, those 950 GH DSTs are not at all the same as the Nippon 950 GH shafts available in the US.  I put in Modus 120s.

As surprising as this sounds, i feel like the ball flight with the Srixons is higher (in a good way) than the Mavrik Max with the Nippon 950 Neos. Theoretically the Mavrik Max irons should be higher launching as a SGI iron with lighter shafts, but I guess the Srixons are still GIs. Also, I love the V-sole on the Srixons, it was smooth through the turf. 

I tink the higher swingweight may also be helping me. The Srixons are at D2 (measured by me) whereas my Mavrik Max irons are C9 because they are 0.5 inches short and Callaway did not add any weight to get them back to stock. I get more over the top with lighter clubs (that was validated before during a fitting).

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Updated 4/27/2021

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Love the ZX5s so far, but only have played them one round. I had swapped out the JDM 950 GH DST shafts. Those things were some soft shafts. Note, those 950 GH DSTs are not at all the same as the Nippon 950 GH shafts available in the US.  I put in Modus 120s.

As surprising as this sounds, i feel like the ball flight with the Srixons is higher (in a good way) than the Mavrik Max with the Nippon 950 Neos. Theoretically the Mavrik Max irons should be higher launching as a SGI iron with lighter shafts, but I guess the Srixons are still GIs. Also, I love the V-sole on the Srixons, it was smooth through the turf. 

I tink the higher swingweight may also be helping me. The Srixons are at D2 (measured by me) whereas my Mavrik Max irons are C9 because they are 0.5 inches short and Callaway did not add any weight to get them back to stock. I get more over the top with lighter clubs (that was validated before during a fitting).

Jealous 

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with  :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS 7X. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34")

1 minute ago, rbsiedsc said:

Jealous 

I'm sure the PXGs you were fit in are just as good of a fit for you or better than the Srixons. But I would say the Srixons are great irons and Srixon is really underrated except for the folks in the know.

• Like 4

Updated 4/27/2021

9 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I'm sure the PXGs you were fit in are just as good of a fit for you or better than the Srixons. But I would say the Srixons are great irons and Srixon is really underrated except for the folks in the know.

Touché. So now no Zx4 for you I presume?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Touché. So now no Zx4 for you I presume?

Yeah, no ZX4 for me unless I decide I need a 4 iron

• Like 2

Updated 4/27/2021

Hole of the day was hole 12.

• Pulled it off the tee, bad shot
  • 2nd shot was hitting out from between two trees and also needed to keep it low. Successfully hit a 6 iron
  • 3rd shot was a 6 iron, hit solid, slight fade, landed on the green
  • I didn’t really putt after that, too many large puddles of water on the green that made putting impossible (it was a cold day with heavy rain)

EA941317-28EC-4777-ABA8-DAC514AB1A3A.jpeg.9ad8ce1973ad6e2282731524fded6708.jpeg

• Like 3

Updated 4/27/2021