TESTERS WANTED! ×

True Linkswear Original and Outsider

txgolfjunkie

Has anyone tried out the latest from True? I know they don't have a lot of shelf space but I'm curious to see if anyone on MGS had any early reviews on the new line. It's walking season in South Texas and I need some new kicks!

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Have a pair of each - the Outsider is more of a traditional/athletic shoe, while the Original is a bit of a throwback to the original True Tour.

You won't see them at retail anytime soon - True is taking a Direct-to-consumer approach, selling only on via their website for now.

Early returns tell me the shoes are pretty well made and pretty nice looking. Had problems with both in terms of comfort - after walking about 14 holes or so I couldn't wait to get them off. That, however, was cured with some Aline inserts - so the problem may have been more with my feet than the shoes.

I like what True has done with both branding and packaging - they're definitely getting back to their roots. The Originals have the wider toe box reminiscent of the old Tours, and I like the sole on both - way better than the rubber nubs they started using around the time of the PHX shoes. There's new management at True, and the definitely want to give the brand a shot in the arm. I was surprised both models were giving my feet fits - but again the inserts have made all the difference.

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

IMG_4640.JPG

IMG_4641.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4646.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nice pics!

I'm really interested in a pair of white originals. The wide toe box is essential and I emailed True and they confirmed it is a zero heel drop sole (said they are still updating the website so that info wasn't up yet).

Things are kind of shutting down for golf in the Midwest so I was thinking of waiting until the holidays before snagging a pair. I will return here to post any thoughts.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Those black ones are pretty nice

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Definitely in the market for some good walking golf shoes, and I was looking to True. They have a good return policy and seem to have good customer service.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Thanks Barbajo! That was a great summary. If you had to pick a shoe for on and off the course, which of the two would you go with? 

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

Thanks Barbajo! That was a great summary. If you had to pick a shoe for on and off the course, which of the two would you go with?

Definitely the Outsider.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Are those spikeless spikes adequate for proper gripping during the swing and how about in wet grass? Also, I read somewhere these shoes were a little hard to get on and off.

WITB:

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Are those spikeless spikes adequate for proper gripping during the swing and how about in wet grass? Also, I read somewhere these shoes were a little hard to get on and off.

I'd agree on the whole on and off thing - you do have to loosen the laces a bit. The sock liner is pretty substantial, so yeah, there are shoes easier to put on.  Taking them off isn't all that hard - but the fit is pretty secure.  

Haven't tried either shoe in the rain - just some morning dew.  Both performed just fine for me.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have spikeless Nike shoes and I've slipped on wet range mats, but not on the course

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

loving their new styling, want to make them my next pair of spikeless. liking the outsider more at the moment

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

• 6 months later...

Just purchased me a pair of True Linkswear Outsider golf shoes in grey navy and went half size larger than normal.  Love the looks, BUT...sadly I could not get my feet inside the dang shoes with normal low cut socks on, tried thinner socks to no avail lastly tried barefoot little easier but I am not about to golf barefooted............my lord this sock liner has to go!!!!! Really liked the overall design and felt good when I finally got it on without getting leg cramps.  I hope they rethink there design in their next version on the Outsider.

True Outsider.JPG

WITB:

• 2 months later...

I like the Originals and the new Knits but haven't pulled the trigger. T he original is what I want but look like they !at make my foot hit. Many experiencea? I may grab the knits and keep my current Eccos for wet days it'll give me an excuse ringer another pair when they are done

I thought about the Knits, but I'm worried about stability.  I broke my ankle as a kid and it's prone to turning it if I don't have adequate support.  I still have my "original" originals and like them a lot.  The past couple of years of TRUEs have been disappointing.  I might try the Originals; like the zero drop shoes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I just got the Original in yesterday. Luckily, I live in Seattle so ship time form Tacoma was about 18 hours🤣

I walked in 9 holes today in them and man oh man... I do not think my dogs have ever been happier! Usually in a new pair, I have a handful of blisters afterward. But I really think the wide toebox on these make it so much more accommodating for your foot. Especially when waking as your feet naturally swell, so this gives has room for that to happen.

I'd love to get the Knits but just doesn't make a lot of sense to have a pair of knit golf shoes for me.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

The knits are great here in south Texas. They breathe better than any shoe I've owned. They have a sturdy toe and do really well repelling the morning dew. The grip on the shoes has been far better than expected and better than most other spikeless golf shoes I've owned in the past.

The only negative is that with the zero drop shoe, the balance in my swing has changed. What I mean is that my normal weight during the swing is around the balls of the feet which helps me hit a consistent butter cut with my irons. In the 4 rounds I've played in the knits, I've started to hit either a straight ball or a draw into greens due to my weight being more towards the middle of the feet. I'm not sure if I like it seeing that I've played baby fades into greens for over 20 years. I've noticed both my fairway percentage and GIR has dropped off by about 15-20% since wearing the knits. Could it just be coincidence? Sure. But I've never missed right (left-handed aiming right of my target to play a fade) of my target more over the last few weeks than in the last year. 

I'm still not over the mental block to aim directly at my target, but hopefully that will subside over the next few rounds. 

I will say the knits look like a summer shoe so wearing them around town has been a big plus.

• Lefty

I won a pair of the outsiders in grey/navy and I have been ruined. They are so comfy and stable that I can't wear my FJ casuals or Adidas Adipures anymore. I wanna get a pair of the originals, but $170 is too steep for me, so gotta try to win some more .... unless someone's looking to get rid of lightly worn size 12

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had issues with no half sizes in the knits. I really want a pair in grey but found it odd they don't sell halfs. Probably because they weren't sure how the knits would do. 

Demand for the knits sounds really good so I wonder if I wait around they will start carrying half sizes.

I played a round of golf in a pair of reebok nano 8 athletic shoes and it was fantastic. I think the wide toe box is key.

Anyone had issues with no half sizes in the knits. I really want a pair in grey but found it odd they don't sell halfs. Probably because they weren't sure how the knits would do. 

Demand for the knits sounds really good so I wonder if I wait around they will start carrying half sizes.

I played a round of golf in a pair of reebok nano 8 athletic shoes and it was fantastic. I think the wide toe box is key.

I'd say these shoes feel about a 1/2 size bigger than what I've worn in the past solely based on the wider toe box. I have worn a size 12 in adidas and nike for years but these knits are a hair bigger and I think it's just the wider width. If you go with the knits, be sure to have a pair of ankle/running socks because the opening does tend to rub on your Achilles tendon. My Nike no-show socks don't help so I wear a pair of Saucony running socks that keep the rub down. 

• Lefty

The knits are great here in south Texas. They breathe better than any shoe I've owned. They have a sturdy toe and do really well repelling the morning dew. The grip on the shoes has been far better than expected and better than most other spikeless golf shoes I've owned in the past.

The only negative is that with the zero drop shoe, the balance in my swing has changed. What I mean is that my normal weight during the swing is around the balls of the feet which helps me hit a consistent butter cut with my irons. In the 4 rounds I've played in the knits, I've started to hit either a straight ball or a draw into greens due to my weight being more towards the middle of the feet. I'm not sure if I like it seeing that I've played baby fades into greens for over 20 years. I've noticed both my fairway percentage and GIR has dropped off by about 15-20% since wearing the knits. Could it just be coincidence? Sure. But I've never missed right (left-handed aiming right of my target to play a fade) of my target more over the last few weeks than in the last year. 

I'm still not over the mental block to aim directly at my target, but hopefully that will subside over the next few rounds. 

I will say the knits look like a summer shoe so wearing them around town has been a big plus.

As much as I would like to blame the shoes for my wildness off the tee box and approach shots, it turns out it was a swing flaw causing the issue. I was too far inside on my take away and wouldn't clear my hips in time, thus pulling/drawing shots due to being out of wack. Got a lesson, wore the shoes, ball now going where I want it to. 

In summary: Buy the shoes, enjoy the walk, but don't blame them for your bad shots. The knits are legit on and off the course. 

• Lefty

• 2 weeks later...

Are the originals or outsiders hot? They look like they may cook my feet. It is too dewy here in Georgia for the knits.

You'd be surprised by the water proofing of the knits. I played in the Houston humidity this morning and my feet are dry. Plus when you're in the cart heading to your ball, I stick my foot out the side and can catch a breeze running through the shoes. It's money.

• Lefty

• 2 weeks later...

Just to put my 2 cents in.  Since switching all my shoes to a zero-drop, I've not had any foot pains where before I'd get stone bruises on the balls of my feet.

I own 4 pairs of True's, going to purchase the new Originals this fall.  Wouldn't golf in anything else (partially I don't know of any other zero-drop golf shoes).

I wear Altra's everyday, golf in True's and cycle in Bont Cycling shoes.  Took me a year to research all these manufactures that have the wide last and big toe box. The Altra's have spread my forefoot out (a good thing) and I couldn't imaging squeezing into a pair of my old Adidas golf shoes.

Free Agent - I Hate my clubs.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 430 11 degree 

:cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl Actionlite Graphite Shaft

Just to put my 2 cents in.  Since switching all my shoes to a zero-drop, I've not had any foot pains where before I'd get stone bruises on the balls of my feet.

I own 4 pairs of True's, going to purchase the new Originals this fall.  Wouldn't golf in anything else (partially I don't know of any other zero-drop golf shoes).

I wear Altra's everyday, golf in True's and cycle in Bont Cycling shoes.  Took me a year to research all these manufactures that have the wide last and big toe box. The Altra's have spread my forefoot out (a good thing) and I couldn't imaging squeezing into a pair of my old Adidas golf shoes.

I think the originals are their only zero drop shoes right? I thought the others had 4 mm drop, which is still pretty small.

I think the originals are their only zero drop shoes right? I thought the others had 4 mm drop, which is still pretty small.

Correct, the "Outsiders" are the first ones they've made that have a higher heel.

I stepped in a mud hole in my Elements, my feet didn't even get wet.  I love these shoes.

Db95RoZUQAAxLRr.jpg

Free Agent - I Hate my clubs.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 430 11 degree 

:cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl Actionlite Graphite Shaft

Correct, the "Outsiders" are the first ones they've made that have a higher heel.

I stepped in a mud hole in my Elements, my feet didn't even get wet. I love these shoes.

Db95RoZUQAAxLRr.jpg

my elements were leaky and the mesh ripped in TWO pair. Sadly I was done with True. After having two pair of oxfords fall apart as well. I have high hope for these Originals IMG_1986.JPG

my elements were leaky and the mesh ripped in TWO pair. Sadly I was done with True. After having two pair of oxfords fall apart as well. I have high hope for these Originals attachicon.gif IMG_1986.JPG

Please let us know about heat issues (you asked the same above). I am a gentleman of the sweatier persuasion and would be interested to know how hot these shoes run.

• 2 months later...

Just ordered some outsides ($99) based on their Black Friday deal. Couldn't pass it up at that price!

Please let us know about heat issues (you asked the same above). I am a gentleman of the sweatier persuasion and would be interested to know how hot these shoes run.

No problems. I have had heat issues with another pair of true’s but these are perfect so far. I probably have >100 miles on them and absolutely no issues

Archived