TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tee It Forward campaign - Good? Bad? Ugly? (Other?)

cksurfdude

OK -- there have been several threads / discussions on pace of play .. and some strong opinions on the matter .. and there have been many suggestions put forward on possible methods on how to handle pace of play issues. 

But here, I'd like discuss the Tee It Forward idea.

Personally I practice it myself, and it is not directly related to pace of play (although that dovetails in) but more about....

* developing my game; 

* having more confidence with my tee shot; 

* working to hit more fairways.

As one example of _not_ teeing it forward .. and I'm pretty sure you've all witnessed examples of this .. are the players who go all the way back to the tournament / championship tees and then either... 1. barely make it past the forward tees, or 2. lose most of their drives off the fairway.

Yes, both those scenarios may have a negative impact on the pace of play for all groups behind, but -- HOW DOES THIS IMPACT HOW THESE PLAYERS ARE DEVELOPING THEIR GAME???

What say you?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Nope, they convinced me that I should take 5 hours or more to play, tee it up from wherever, do whatever I want b/c other people don't matter besides me. I will drive 45 mph in the passing lane, give you the finger while texting and looking at Facebook, and laugh while doing it. There's only one important thing in this world and that my enjoyment.

Oh, and I forgot, my 18 mo old will be teeing it up from the blacks as well. Granted he can only hit it about 2 yards, but guarantee we will finish in about 5.5 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

* I found this pretty interesting ... the following article originally appeared on GolfVacationInsider.com at…
http://www.golfvacationinsider.com/more-golf-vacations/little-leeming-15630

Little & Leeming: Golf's Two Biggest Names You've Never Heard Of

July 26, 2016

If you're reading this, chances are you're not a tour player.

So why the heck are you playing an effectively much longer golf course than those players?

That's the question being asked by Arthur Little and Jann Leeming, who might just be the most important figures in golf you've never heard of.

This husband and wife have the ear of some of the world's greatest golf resorts.

As a result, they're helping make sure your next round – on vacation or at home – will be even more fun than you could have imagined…no gimmicks required.

Why are these two so influential? Let me explain.

My dad is a 10-handicap, but he averages “only” about 200 to 220 yards off the tee.

Even when he plays from the 6,300-yard tees, he's forced to hit long irons, hybrids and fairway woods into almost every par three and par four.

Does that sound like fun to you?

Me, neither.

But that's the type of torturous golf experience that millions of amateur golfers put themselves through by playing the wrong tees.

Little and Leeming know all too well that golf is supposed to be fun – especially when you're on an awesome golf vacation (or just playing at home), rather than playing it for a living.

They have been key voices regarding one of the most important elements of some of the world's most famous golf courses: tee boxes, and why they might be the key to getting existing golfers to play more golf and getting new golfers into the game.

I had a chance to speak with Arthur Little a few weeks ago, and here's what I learned:

Bottom line: “Tee It Forward” is not just a slogan – it's a philosophy both golfers and golf courses need to adopt.

Yes, people have been criticizing the USGA lately over a couple rules-related controversies at this year's U.S. Open and U.S. Women's Open.

But they were on the right track when they instituted the “Tee It Forward” campaign in 2011, encouraging golfers to move up a set of tees to shoot lower scores and make the game more fun and welcoming to new players.

But that responsibility does not lie with players alone.

Little believes golf facility operators and superintendents need to set their courses up in a way that makes the game more fun.

One of Little's guiding principles is that on too many golf courses – especially older ones – the front tee boxes are an afterthought.

For anyone who doesn't hit the ball very far (beginners, seniors, etc.) tees of 5,500 yards or longer are still just too long and difficult. And yet they've been commonplace. Until now.

Mike Keiser, owner of Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, agrees.

After reading a paper that Little and Leeming published about proper tee positioning in 2007, Keiser applied their concepts to his Old Macdonald course during construction in 2010 (and to the resort's other courses, retroactively).

You won't find the traditional Black-Blue-White-Gold-Red tee marker color scheme at Bandon. Instead, the four main courses' markers are Black, Green, Gold, Orange and Royal Blue.

And at Bandon, all four courses' individual tee sets fall in a pretty tight range of yardages:

Black: 6,633 – 6,944 yards
Green: 6,124 – 6,320
Gold: 5,658 – 5,775
Orange: 4,985 – 5,100
Royal Blue: 3,827 – 4,040

Why the different color scheme?

According to Little, the association of “red tees” with “ladies' tees” is not a myth – it is actually stronger than most people think.

By doing away with the traditional tee marker color schemes at courses he's worked with, he and Leeming have noticed golfers putting aside arbitrary prejudices and moving to more suitable (i.e. shorter) tees, shooting lower scores, having fun and – perhaps most importantly of all – coming back more often to play. Juniors, ladies and men all enjoy the Royal Blue tees at Bandon.

And even though the Royal Blues are shorter, golfers still get the “full” experience of playing the Bandon courses.

Take the par-3 fifth hole at Pacific Dunes for example. It plays 181 yards from the Green tees and 115 yards from the Royal Blue set – an approximately 65% scale for the hole, which is mirrored in the course yardages throughout the Bandon Dunes courses and others where Little and Leeming have consulted.

Here's the view of Pacific Dunes #5 from the 181-yard back tee… (Wood Sabold)

…and from the 115-yard front. Two different but equally engaging looks at the same hole. (Wood Sabold)

That latter tee is set at an angle that allows shorter hitters, who don't generate as much backspin as stronger players, to run the ball up onto the green.

But, they still have to take care to avoid architect Tom Doak's cleverly placed bunkers. The hole may be shorter, but it is by no means a watered-down experience, as so many other front tees are at other courses.

Keiser was so impressed by the positive reception to the work at Bandon that he asked Little to consult on proper tee placement at his other properties.

The duo have also helped with tee arrangement at Cabot Links and Cabot Cliffs, the vaunted Keiser-backed resort in Nova Scotia, making sure tee boxes are set at intervals that will be enjoyable by all visitors.

The same is true at Keiser's newest resort, Sand Valley in central Wisconsin. But rather than retrofit front tee boxes the way he did at Bandon, Little has assisted architects Bill Coore & Ben Crenshaw from the outset in making sure the course will provide plenty of fun, as well as challenge, from day one. They are also assisting David McLay Kidd on tee placements for the second Sand Valley layout.

Mike Keiser's courses are by no means the only ones to benefit from Little and Leeming's expertise. They are just the latest in a project that began some 20 years ago.

Back in 1996, the couple became the owners of Province Lake Golf Course in southwestern Maine.

They noticed that despite the course's relatively modest length at 6,336 yards from the back tees, a lot of golfers seemed to struggle to get around the course, especially from the front sets of tees.

So in 2000, they repositioned and rebuilt 36 tee areas throughout the course, aggressively shortening some holes from the front tees. The new tee yardages rung in at 5,900, 4,900 and 4,169 yards, respectively.

The share of rounds played by women rose from about 15% to about 35%. Rounds by junior players rose from just a handful to about 7%, many of them new golfers.

Overall, the course's total annual rounds increased from about 8,000 to more than 20,000.

Little sold the course in 2005, but to this day it remains a successful public facility in an area of relatively low population density.

Just a couple weeks ago, Province Lake hosted its second annual Ladies of the Lakes golf tournament. 82 women golfers turned out.

The most tangible effect: now, pace of play is never a problem at Province Lake.

A number of buzzwords surrounding the concept of “growing the game” are thrown around constantly these days. But Arthur Little and Jann Leeming are among the few people in golf who have put a concrete plan into action and succeeded. As a result, they've been able to spread a great idea to many course operators and thousands of their fellow golfers.

But until Arthur Little and Jann Leeming visit your favorite course, here's what you can do to have more fun. (First, figure out your driver swing speed.)

The front-tee yardages that Arthur has helped courses settle on do not come out of thin air, but from a system he's developed over years of study of the average recreational golfer.

That system encourages golfers to choose what tees they play based not on how far they drive the ball, but their average swing speeds.

Now, before you protest, “But that's two versions of the same thing!”, consider that the vast majority of golfers vastly overestimate their true driving distance capabilities. Just because you may hit one glorious drive per round 250 yards doesn't mean your true average driving distance isn't closer to 220 yards.

Swing speed, on the other hand, can be measured much more easily and accurately, and it doesn't change from round to round.

A lot of avid male “core” golfers seem to have swing speeds of between 85 and 90 miles per hour, which means they should be playing a set of tees no longer than 6,000 to 6,200 yards, depending on turf and weather conditions.

For instance, Bandon Dunes' Green tee yardages push a little higher than this range, but given the firm turf found there, players tend to get some extra roll on their tee shots, making the courses play shorter than their yardages indicate.

Does your swing speed push toward or past 100 miles per hour? Feel free to move back a bit, but don't overdo it.

Do you struggle to get above 80 or 85 miles per hour? Tee it forward! And if you find yourself stuck between markers, err on the shorter side or make your own hybrid set of tees. You'll have more mid- and short-irons into greens, more par and birdie chances and more fun, while still experiencing all the challenge a round of golf throws at you. Who wouldn't want that?

After all, you're playing golf for fun, not a living. So why make it harder than it needs to be?

Do  you “tee it forward” on a regular basis? Does your home course need to rethink its forward tees? Can this movement/philosophy help attract and retain new golfers?

~~~~~

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

I think this is a no brainer and always has been. People don't stop playing golf because it's not challenging they stop because it's too challenging, takes too long and/or is too expensive. Those are the top three reasons.

So tee it forward addresses two of those 3.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

"No brainier" for an experienced golfer .. and a learned man like yourself :)

But how does a course actually get people to do this...?

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Easy! They bunch up all the tees together 10 yards apart. Now everyone is unhappy.

I play white so I can secretly give middle finger to those who can't play but want to act like one. There's no good reasons to play from the blue if you don't have the distance or consistency, it usually falls into one of three reasons from my experience:

First, no brainer, playing from “harder and longer” tee would make them look more like a player. Same concept as I can drive fast so I'm a better driver, kindergartens BS? Sure

Second, more bang for the bucks. They don't care what they shoot, they'd never put the correct numbers anyways. Golf is more fun when there are more shots to hit. All the power to you.

Third and this happens to most golfers, they just don't know any better. They just think that they can just choose the tee. They assume that red is for gals, white is for boys, and blues is for men. Plain and simple.

If I want more challenge off the tee I don't necessarily have to move up I just take out my woods, this would kill 2 birds with one stone. It get rids of the driver/wood crutches and improve your long approach game.

I definitely agree this makes the game more fun and makes the round shorter as well.  I used to play with a guy that would always play back with me on the regular blue tees, although he was a very short hitter.  On par 5, it would take him 4 shots just to get to the green.  He would always get really frustrated playing.  After a while, he started playing up some and on those rounds, he had much more fun and he scores reflected that.  It drives me nuts seeing people playing from the tips that have absolutely no business being back there. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Personally I don't GARA what tee you play from. I play from a tee that most closely represents distances I know I can play effectively from. I'm also not worried about how your game may or may not develop. That's your business.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Very interesting conversation.  I am heading to Pinehurst for our annual tournament with 19 buddies.  Tee selections are out, and we are playing from the 5500 - 5900 yards on every course throughout the tournament.  This has changed over the years, primarily because the tournament organizers have gotten older - most in their mid to late 60's, many retired military who have worn down their bodies, many replaced knees, hips, a few shoulders and assorted other parts...

While I am no spring chicken myself, many are 10 plus years older than me, and although retired from military service, I am still working and staying active- I walk (most ride), and I still enjoy the challenge and can manage the length of the 6200-6800 yard courses.  There are two things that I am taking away as I write this- first, I have to take advantage of this (in the past it has bothered me- I will explain momentarily why) and use the length advantage only when it makes tactical sense.  Second, get over the "play the whole course" attitude- which often creeps into my thoughts when playing these legendary courses... 

What frustrates me when we play forward is this often brings in hazards that would normally not be an issue.  For example, a set of bunkers that are 270 out from the back tees are now 230 out, which takes my driver out of play.  I need to embrace this and move forward, and see what comes of our little trip. 

Of course, last year was my first time on this particular trip, and that was my attitude then- I have grown, and learned much (thanks MGS)... so lets see what happens this year.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

[quote name="cksurfdude" post="342960" timestamp="1509551635"

As one example of _not_ teeing it forward .. and I'm pretty sure you've all witnessed examples of this .. are the players who go all the way back to the tournament / championship tees and then either... 1. barely make it past the forward tees, or 2. lose most of their drives off the fairway.

What say you?

I like following these players (who play from the back tees and shouldn't) because they generally load up on pro v1 in the clubhouse and then drive them into the water on the first hole or rough. I'm glad I bought the 16' version of my water retriever - between that and watching where they got their balls . - it keeps me from having to buy pro v1s.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've moved up to the white tees from the back about a decade ago.In a few years the senior tees will be the next move up.The decision to go forward was quite easy to make really.Once I noticed It took a solid hybrid or 3 wood to reach a par 4 in regulation after a good drive.Now I can comfortably reach all holes in regulation without the added length that I no longer have.

Keep it in the short stuff

Very interesting conversation. I am heading to Pinehurst for our annual tournament with 19 buddies. Tee selections are out, and we are playing from the 5500 - 5900 yards on every course throughout the tournament. This has changed over the years, primarily because the tournament organizers have gotten older - most in their mid to late 60's, many retired military who have worn down their bodies, many replaced knees, hips, a few shoulders and assorted other parts...

While I am no spring chicken myself, many are 10 plus years older than me, and although retired from military service, I am still working and staying active- I walk (most ride), and I still enjoy the challenge and can manage the length of the 6200-6800 yard courses. There are two things that I am taking away as I write this- first, I have to take advantage of this (in the past it has bothered me- I will explain momentarily why) and use the length advantage only when it makes tactical sense. Second, get over the "play the whole course" attitude- which often creeps into my thoughts when playing these legendary courses...

What frustrates me when we play forward is this often brings in hazards that would normally not be an issue. For example, a set of bunkers that are 270 out from the back tees are now 230 out, which takes my driver out of play. I need to embrace this and move forward, and see what comes of our little trip.

Of course, last year was my first time on this particular trip, and that was my attitude then- I have grown, and learned much (thanks MGS)... so lets see what happens this year.

enjoy Pinehurst, I am hoping to get back there again soon, maybe get another deal this season. Fingers crossed.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I play the back tees at my home course, they're about 6600. I am a decently long hitter in my early 30s so most courses shorter than this play as a pitch and putt to me. Though now that is the off-season and cooling I will probably move up to the traditional whites till next spring.

Most of the time where I've seen guys playing too far back it's ego (which is usually a problem in pace of play too!!) Young guys that can hit it, but aren't golfers ie no control, just know how to swing hard. Or guys that were playing with a serious friend and don't want to play forward. You play twice a year! Don't shoot 120! More up! Enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Very interesting conversation.  I am heading to Pinehurst for our annual tournament with 19 buddies.  Tee selections are out, and we are playing from the 5500 - 5900 yards on every course throughout the tournament.  This has changed over the years, primarily because the tournament organizers have gotten older - most in their mid to late 60's, many retired military who have worn down their bodies, many replaced knees, hips, a few shoulders and assorted other parts...

While I am no spring chicken myself, many are 10 plus years older than me, and although retired from military service, I am still working and staying active- I walk (most ride), and I still enjoy the challenge and can manage the length of the 6200-6800 yard courses.  There are two things that I am taking away as I write this- first, I have to take advantage of this (in the past it has bothered me- I will explain momentarily why) and use the length advantage only when it makes tactical sense.  Second, get over the "play the whole course" attitude- which often creeps into my thoughts when playing these legendary courses... 

What frustrates me when we play forward is this often brings in hazards that would normally not be an issue.  For example, a set of bunkers that are 270 out from the back tees are now 230 out, which takes my driver out of play.  I need to embrace this and move forward, and see what comes of our little trip. 

Love Pinehurst!!  With your game, if you can find the right club to be comfortable off the tee with, I suspect you will win enough money from that group to pay for your trip!! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I dont look at the tee color or even where it falls in the order. I like to play at 6500 yrds. A decent amount of challenge. The problem I face is when they artifically make the course long by offering a 200 yard par 3. Then all the 5s are 430

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I am a firm believer in Tee It forward, I have lost lots of yardage on my drives over the years.  And even though I am still under 60, I am going to play the tee's that don't leave me long hybrid or fairway wood 2nd shots on the all of the par 4's, one or 2 longer ones OK but, not every one.  Sorry, its just not fun.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

That was my question. Love the idea and made for a cool read. I just started to move myself back a bit but only after making sure I could handle it. I don't want to be hitting 3w in par 3's

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I dont look at the tee color or even where it falls in the order. I like to play at 6500 yrds. A decent amount of challenge. The problem I face is when they artifically make the course long by offering a 200 yard par 3. Then all the 5s are 430

Right. I played a course this summer at 7000 to test myself. All 5 par 3's were 208-215. I hit the same club on 4 of the 5- one was really downhill. Not fun when they make it long just by over doing it with the 3s.

Take Dead Aim

Played behind 2 young guys on Friday (Mid to late 20's maybe) at our local course. We had a 4 some, 2 old guys and a couple of younger ones, my son is a beginner so not so great.

Anyway, these guys are playing the tips, and most of the time their drives weren't even 200 yards.

Leaving themselves long shots that they couldn't even get to the greens. Held us up all day long.

Definitely should have been teeing forward.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Great question

You only have two sets of tees out each day on public access courses. Front or back. Come with your playing card or a letter from your pro and you are allowed to play the tips because the back is going big to be 62000-6400 yards long at Sea Level. That or the course just moves all of its tees up. That way everyone is happy - the guys think they are hitting it farther - but they are actually playing a course that's 300 yards shorter than listed. 6600 yards is much easier when it's actually 6300.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have noticed a lot of longer public courses have started putting their traditional mens tees forward. Either building more boxes or just placing them at the front.

Take Dead Aim

BTW I keep seeing the word challenge used. If golf is challenging from 6500 why is it not challenging from 6000?

Are you suddenly shooting sub par rounds from 6000 when you are struggling to break 80 from 6500?

Touring pros average 8 iron on par 4's. I need to play at less than 6000 to have that benefit. I'm a pretty accomplished golfer. I'm not having a sub par scoring average just because I've moved up. I'm shooting scores that are about three strokes lower if I move from 6500 to 6000. About 6 strokes lower if I move from 7000 to 6000. It's going to take me three strokes to cover 500 yards.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I say setup the tee box next to the green. Guarantee the golfer shoots below Par... Unless they have my short game in which case only moving the tee next to the hole will help 😂

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I am a firm believer in Tee It forward, I have lost lots of yardage on my drives over the years.  And even though I am still under 60, I am going to play the tee's that don't leave me long hybrid or fairway wood 2nd shots on the all of the par 4's, one or 2 longer ones OK but, not every one.  Sorry, its just not fun.

... Pretty much sums it up. Courses are designed to be played a specific way. Bunkers, water, trees are all positioned to reward a good shot or penalize a bad shot. They are not there to penalize a good shot! If a 191 carry over water means you have a 50-50 chance of making it with an iron or hybrid, you are playing the wrong tees from the course designers perspective. If you hit a big tree just off the tee box that is there for beauty, not a hazard, you are playing the wrong tees. 

... One of my pet peeves is getting paired up with someone that says "I play from the whites, where do you play?". Depending on the course I am usually 1 or 2 tees back and when they say "OK, I'll play from your tees". I try my best to encouragingly tell them they should play the tees they are most comfortable playing. Sometimes they seem to have a sigh of relief and say they will play the whites, sometimes they start out playing back tees and move up later in the round and sometimes they have a miserable day playing tees thy have no business playing. 

... A good course design lets you play most of the clubs in your bag. Nobody wants to hit driver - wedge on every hole and nobody wants to hit driver - hybrid or fairway wood on every hole. We all want a challenge, but it should be a challenge you can manage. Moving forward is just a great idea and allows many players to compete on a course the way it was designed to be played for the very first time. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

A challenge you can manage is exactly right. I occasionally play with a group at my club that insists on playing from the blue tees.

I'm the youngest guy and close to the longest. There will be five par 4's that I have to hit fairway wood or 4 hybrid into from those tees and a par 5 where I might have hybrid on my 3rd shot depending on the wind.

I can break 80 about 1/4 of the time but it is no fun. I️ I suppose they hit all of their clubs because they are hitting short or mid irons on their third shots into par 4's and hybrids on holes designed for short iron approaches.

Once in a while is okay but it's not really fun.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

BTW I keep seeing the word challenge used. If golf is challenging from 6500 why is it not challenging from 6000?

Are you suddenly shooting sub par rounds from 6000 when you are struggling to break 80 from 6500?

Touring pros average 8 iron on par 4's. I need to play at less than 6000 to have that benefit. I'm a pretty accomplished golfer. I'm not having a sub par scoring average just because I've moved up. I'm shooting scores that are about three strokes lower if I move from 6500 to 6000. About 6 strokes lower if I move from 7000 to 6000. It's going to take me three strokes to cover 500 yards.

So our group played North Hampton near Yulee/Fernandina Beach on Friday.  Hadn't played it in about 3 years.  Nice track, but among the more difficult in the area.  One challenge is the difference between the White and Blue tees.  Our home course is 6,100 and when we travel to other courses, we play the tees closest to that yardage.  Their White tees are 5,850 and the Blues are 6,300.  We might have opted for the Blues, but the few of us who had played it before remembered how tough it was from the Blues.  We offered to let the lower handicap/big sticks play the blues with the handicap adjustment (3 strokes for most of them), but they all opted to play the whites with the rest of us.  The senior pro in our group, 0 handicap, did shoot a 70, but the rest of us found the 'short' White tees to be all we could handle.  The course had a 550 yd par 5, and a couple of longish par 3s and 4s from the 'short' tees, with the difference made up with a number of short, but very difficult par 4s.  To get short irons into the greens on those short holes required very precise placement of 200 yd tee shots.  We had a great time from these tees and no one felt cheated by playing up.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

... For those of you that still like a challenge, but struggle with holes that are just too long, it can be difficult choosing the right tees. But unless you are posting for a handicap, you can always mix and match tees to allow you to enjoy the course without it being too easy, hitting wedge into every aren or too difficult hitting hybrids/woods into every green. 

Course-Rating-and-Slope-1.jpg

... This course is a links style course and it is usually pretty windy making some of the longer holes very difficult. Lets say you are caught between the white and blue tees. Just circle your scorecard before teeing of and play your own golf course. For instance you could play the course like this at 6263 yds and still have a challenge on some of the longer holes:

1 Blue 371
2 Blue 339
3 White 138
4 White 479
5 Blue 367
6 Blue 142
7 White 407
8 Blue 488
9 Blue 375

10 Blue 362
11 White 382
12 White 483
13 Blue 129
14 Blue 362
15 White 507
16 White 402
17 White 140
18 Blue 390

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... For those of you that still like a challenge, but struggle with holes that are just too long, it can be difficult choosing the right tees. But unless you are posting for a handicap, you can always mix and match tees to allow you to enjoy the course without it being too easy, hitting wedge into every aren or too difficult hitting hybrids/woods into every green.

Course-Rating-and-Slope-1.jpg

... This course is a links style course and it is usually pretty windy making some of the longer holes very difficult. Lets say you are caught between the white and blue tees. Just circle your scorecard before teeing of and play your own golf course. For instance you could play the course like this at 6263 yds and still have a challenge on some of the longer holes:

1 Blue 371

2 Blue 339

3 White 138

4 White 479

5 Blue 367

6 Blue 142

7 White 407

8 Blue 488

9 Blue 375

10 Blue 362

11 White 382

12 White 483

13 Blue 129

14 Blue 362

15 White 507

16 White 402

17 White 140

18 Blue 390

I've done that it works really well. I've also played 9 from one then switched on the other 9 when I was sick of getting beat up by the course.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived