TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tee It Forward campaign - Good? Bad? Ugly? (Other?)

cksurfdude

That's what I'm talking about Chisag my friends and I do exactly what you are suggesting. We want a par 4 or perhaps 2 over 400, a par 3 in the 180-200 range and a reachable par 5.

Most of all we want fun!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My course has 4 sets of tees

Championship - Black

Men's Tees - Blue

Senior Tees - White

Women's Tees - Red

All of our MGA events are played from the blue tees unless you are over 60, then you play white.

My issue is the distances....the Blues play 6834, the whites play 6053....to me that's a huge jump.....6800 is really too long for me, all the par 5's are layup holes, a few of the 4's are a hybrid for the second shot and 3 of the 4 par 3's are right at or over 200 yds.

On the other hand 6000 maybe a little too short, if I'm playing for fun I usually play a mix of tees....whites on the 3's and 5's and blues on the 4's.

It's no fun hitting driver/hybrid into every hole

On the positive side I maybe changing clubs in the off season and the new club has 2 courses both with 5 sets of tees

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 2 weeks later...

Great question

You only have two sets of tees out each day on public access courses. Front or back. Come with your playing card or a letter from your pro and you are allowed to play the tips because the back is going big to be 62000-6400 yards long at Sea Level. That or the course just moves all of its tees up. That way everyone is happy - the guys think they are hitting it farther - but they are actually playing a course that's 300 yards shorter than listed. 6600 yards is much easier when it's actually 6300.

Of course! Brilliant, Sir!!

I've always thought there should be a sign next to each set of tees indicating the distance to the middle of the hole's "landing zone". As I understand it, and let's say we're considering a Par 4 ... (in general) a hole has a designed landing area for the tee shot which then becomes the designed approach shot area ... and the sets of tees are set back from the landing zone at distances to roughly correlate to different driving distances of different handicap/ability groups.

No, not that this would prevent anyone with an ego from going all the way back .. but it may help out the thoughtful golfers in deciding their best shot / best club to use on that hole -- to give them the best chance of getting into the fairway .. or carrying a forced carry in front of the tee box.....

(which .. who knows .. may help speed up pace of play?)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 2 months later...

Lots of sandbagging in that group!!

You said it my friend- 7 days of golf, and I didn't win 1 dollar- my natural birdies were cut by guys getting two pops- crazy - mind you I was carrying a slightly lower index than I should have ( shot an unusual 76 in August and it impacted the my entire 'cap) but also did not play particularly well, although not as poorly as one might expect- basically 6th out of 20, but no $$.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Mind you- we went out yesterday- weather wasn't great, but at least it was not snowing!!!  Club has two sets of tees in the winter (vice 5 during the spring - fall season) so you are either back or front, and the group that I was coupled with was playing front- so did I.  Shot a 77, won the pot, but am wondering how that will affect my index?!?!?  The slope on the modified course was 115, so it should not have that much affect, but one never knows. 

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Putter MLA Pro Classic

... Pretty much sums it up. Courses are designed to be played a specific way. Bunkers, water, trees are all positioned to reward a good shot or penalize a bad shot. They are not there to penalize a good shot! If a 191 carry over water means you have a 50-50 chance of making it with an iron or hybrid, you are playing the wrong tees from the course designers perspective. If you hit a big tree just off the tee box that is there for beauty, not a hazard, you are playing the wrong tees. 

... One of my pet peeves is getting paired up with someone that says "I play from the whites, where do you play?". Depending on the course I am usually 1 or 2 tees back and when they say "OK, I'll play from your tees". I try my best to encouragingly tell them they should play the tees they are most comfortable playing. Sometimes they seem to have a sigh of relief and say they will play the whites, sometimes they start out playing back tees and move up later in the round and sometimes they have a miserable day playing tees thy have no business playing. 

... A good course design lets you play most of the clubs in your bag. Nobody wants to hit driver - wedge on every hole and nobody wants to hit driver - hybrid or fairway wood on every hole. We all want a challenge, but it should be a challenge you can manage. Moving forward is just a great idea and allows many players to compete on a course the way it was designed to be played for the very first time. 

The challenge with our winter setup - one front set (both Women/Senior and white) and one back set (blue/ black) presents a challenge in that I only used my driver once.  On most holes I am hitting a hybrid or iron off the tee, and in one case a 5 iron put me thru the fairway and into the fairway beyond...  I was teeing off with my lob wedge on most par 3's.  Shot 77, primarily due to a few dumb mistakes and a few lipouts - but I enjoy the challenge of using all the clubs in the bag, not just a 5 iron, wedge and putter...Did like winning the pot, however!!!

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Thinking about this thread I will be at Copperhead in a couple of weeks. Touring pros love it but quite honestly there are two holes that are very unfair for the average golfer or for that matter shorter good amateur.

Regardless of the tee you play from you are going to have 180-200 over water. For me that's a hybrid or 3 wood. For a touring pro it's a 5 or 6 iron.

I actually prefer the Island course which the pros hate - too tight for them - it was used for an NCAA championship to howling complaints.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I usually play the back tees within reason. I have solid distance so anything up to 6800 is manageable. I'll push 7000 but if i see all the 3s are over 200 I'll mix tee boxes, that's just not fun hitting my biggest club on all 4 or 5 par 3s. I'll move up when i play with my friends or wife. Sometimes I'll play the front tees with her. That's really eye opening.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 w/ Diamana X 70g B4 setting

Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP 4-PW S300 shafts 1* upright

Titleist Vokey Wedges 50-54-58

Cobra Fly-z 16.5 FW

Adams Pro Boxer hybrid 18*

6.5 index, RH, Cleveland, OH

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

There is quite a bit of discussion regarding the impact of slow play on the game.   It seems to me that people playing from tees beyond their playing capabilities may be a contributing factor.   Unfortunately, the effort to change that may be trying to close the stable door long after the horse is out.   That horse is that tee use typically is based on tee labels.   Championship tees, regular men's tees, senior tees and ladies tees.  How many young bucks want to be seen playing from the old coot senior tees and no man wants to be seen on the ladies tees. 

I have no real idea how to change tee selection from labels to abilities.   Perhaps, a sign a lot like Bethpage Black.  A sign on the tips reading if you can't break 80, don't even think about it.  On the other tees, have signs suggesting use based on handicaps or typical scores.  But then they will just be suggestions, enforcement is going to be impossible, nor do I think courses will want to upset its players.  

There is quite a bit of discussion regarding the impact of slow play on the game. It seems to me that people playing from tees beyond their playing capabilities may be a contributing factor. Unfortunately, the effort to change that may be trying to close the stable door long after the horse is out. That horse is that tee use typically is based on tee labels. Championship tees, regular men's tees, senior tees and ladies tees. How many young bucks want to be seen playing from the old coot senior tees and no man wants to be seen on the ladies tees.

I have no real idea how to change tee selection from labels to abilities. Perhaps, a sign a lot like Bethpage Black. A sign on the tips reading if you can't break 80, don't even think about it. On the other tees, have signs suggesting use based on handicaps or typical scores. But then they will just be suggestions, enforcement is going to be impossible, nor do I think courses will want to upset its players.

Yes! Completely agree with those ideas (had posted something not too dissimilar above) ... get rid of the traditional "labels" and MARK each set of tees with signage conveying some information to _guide_ each player in choosing the right teeing ground for them and their game.

Signs could possibly include markings like on ski trails (eg. easiest .. Intermediate .. expert .. double black diamond) and also Yardage ranges into the designed landing area.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Yes! Completely agree with those ideas (had posted something not too dissimilar above) ... get rid of the traditional "labels" and MARK each set of tees with signage conveying some information to _guide_ each player in choosing the right teeing ground for them and their game.

Signs could possibly include markings like on ski trails (eg. easiest .. Intermediate .. expert .. double black diamond) and also Yardage ranges into the designed landing area.

I think I've posted some of this in another thread. As long as you can figure out the yardage you played, you can use this chart to adjust slope and course rating for an "unrated" set of tees: https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=14

What we really need is a rating and slope for each hole from each tee for each gender. I'd find it hard to believe that this couldn't be done.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If everyone left their ego and cell phones in the car, golf would be both quicker and more fun.

I'm a firm believer in the "5 iron distance x 36" guide for which tees to play. I hit my 5 145 or so, and generally play from the senior tees or whichever set works out to the 5200-5300 yd. range.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Archived