Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Home "Improvement"

STUDque

Having just moved into our new to us home there are some projects on my list. 

1) We have a Pergola out by the pool that needs maintenance. They didn't caulk around the base where the 4 x 4's sit in the retaining cups that are attached to the concrete. So, I have to remove any wood rot and rebuild the bad areas with replacement wood or wood putty. Sand and get ready for a new coat of solid stain. The fabric top has to come off for some needed power washing.

2) Power wash around the entire pool patio and fencing. 

3) I need to build a tiki bar down by the far end of the pool.

4) Build a pool house. Something smaller maybe 8' by 12'. For changing and in the winter use if for storage for the pool equipment.

5) Build a porch swing frame. We have the swing. 

6) I'm seriously considering a real grass putting green. At my last two houses I installed artificial greens. I think I want to try the real deal this time around. However, that is looking more like a 2024 project with all the other stuff I have to do first.    

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 10/17/2022 at 2:23 PM, tony@CIC said:

Great timing! I'm in the process of stripping the old chip type floor coating in our garage that the previous owner installed improperly. It looks like he didn't etch the floor - so now I've got a worse mess stripping, cleaning and then etching the floor.

IMG_9403.jpg.5ab55fcd551a02872239fd48a4871914.jpg

Curious as to which product you used. I know that rust oleum makes the combo epoxy /urethane with the chips ( identical to what I currently have, The other is a granite type look from HD/Behr. Is that what you used or a different product? 

Latest update on my chip floor disaster that the previous owner put down - probably without the right prep. I used stripper to get a good portion of the coating off. However, instead of etching with acid, I opted to grind the previous finish down to bare concrete. Bought a new grinder and dust shield from Harbor Freight along with a diamond cutting wheel. Then used a primer that's generally applied either over exisitng paint or bare concrete and a 1 part epoxy coating. The floor looks a lot better than the old one and hopefully it doesn't lift. I decided to wait about a month before I part either my car or golf cart to be extra sure. 

BTW the blue cabinets are repurposed from our kitchen remodel last year. 

IMG_9576.jpg.1f8c0a6da6689d08c72e242c2111dc14.jpg

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

1) We have a Pergola out by the pool that needs maintenance. They didn't caulk around the base where the 4 x 4's sit in the retaining cups that are attached to the concrete. So, I have to remove any wood rot and rebuild the bad areas with replacement wood or wood putty. Sand and get ready for a new coat of solid stain. The fabric top has to come off for some needed power washing.

4) Build a pool house. Something smaller maybe 8' by 12'. For changing and in the winter use if for storage for the pool equipment.

6) I'm seriously considering a real grass putting green. At my last two houses I installed artificial greens. I think I want to try the real deal this time around. However, that is looking more like a 2024 project with all the other stuff I have to do first.    

I'm such a dam golf geek. I have been searching all morning for a used greens mower. It isn't cheap by the way. So
I stumbled on some YouTube videos on how to modify a manual push reel mower, so it cuts down to 1/8 inch. Going to go that route to start with. I really got to get the other projects knocked out. I want to get going on the green! I get something in my mind and I'm off and running. Yes, I know it is still February.  

5 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm such a dam golf geek. I have been searching all morning for a used greens mower. It isn't cheap by the way. So
I stumbled on some YouTube videos on how to modify a manual push reel mower, so it cuts down to 1/8 inch. Going to go that route to start with. I really got to get the other projects knocked out. I want to get going on the green! I get something in my mind and I'm off and running. Yes, I know it is still February.  

Oh we all get it here, I have actually been thinking of clearing out part of our yard because its up a bit from the rest and not really used, but would love to put down a green, but I know its expensive even if I do it myself and we might not stay long term but that is the dream right there. Never-mind actually growing one yourself. That deserves its own thread once you get started.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I've got a friend whose looking at mowers now for his backyard green. Can you pass along the youtube videos on modifying existing push mowers. Thx 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

12 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I've got a friend whose looking at mowers now for his backyard green. Can you pass along the youtube videos on modifying existing push mowers. Thx 

So, while I was hard at work today. I found there are three types of reel mower cut height setting types. Two of them you can modify easily. The roller in the back or units with wheels in the back are the easiest. But they need to be the type with the holes that lock in the height as seen in this video. The ones with the ratchet positions would be more difficult. Basically, you are adding an extra hole to lower the unit more. 

They have 5 cut height settings in .4-inch increments.  The cut height starts around 1" to 1.5" and goes up from there depending on the mower brand.  

My other thought was just to replace the two rear wheels from let's say a six-inch wheel to a five- inch wheel.  SunJoe has the rear wheel type. Then I can use the original holes without modification. It just might be tough to find the right size wheel. 

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That's why you're "The Golf Nut". 

9 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Uh oh!!  Putting green just got moved up to a 2023 project!  😆

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 2/8/2023 at 9:15 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

1) We have a Pergola out by the pool that needs maintenance. They didn't caulk around the base where the 4 x 4's sit in the retaining cups that are attached to the concrete. So, I have to remove any wood rot and rebuild the bad areas with replacement wood or wood putty. Sand and get ready for a new coat of solid stain. The fabric top has to come off for some needed power washing. Complete. Ready for paint. 

4) Build a pool house. Something smaller maybe 8' by 12'. For changing and in the winter use if for storage for the pool equipment. Going with 10' by 12' with a porch and with the roof covering the porch and some windows. 

My wife asked me yesterday.  " You had greens at our other two houses are you going to put one in here as well" Once I recovered from the whip lash. "Why yes dear I was thinking about that, but I wasn't sure."  I wasn't sure 🤣.   Just so happens that there are two areas that have grass inside the pool fence. A power mower would only shoot grass into the pool, so I think the best option is a reel mower.  Oh, wait isn't that what I need for the golf green. What a coincidence. 

Not so much an improvement but had a new blower motor put in the furnace today. The temporary fix lasted a week. At least we have heat again.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

38 minutes ago, MattF said:

Not so much an improvement but had a new blower motor put in the furnace today. The temporary fix lasted a week. At least we have heat again.

Could have been much worse.

When the heat went out at my house in February 2022, it was a cracked heat exchanger, and that meant new furnace time.

Did both the furnace and new A/C unit for a discounted price, and although expensive, with the house and original furnace both being about 30 years old, it was just a matter of time.

Hope that resolves all your heat issues there MattF.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, MattF said:

I put a new blower motor in our Ohio condo last September as a precaution since our furnace is just over 10 yrs old and the tech who I trust said not to count on them lasting much more than that. Figured since we're away all winter it's like insurance against failure.  

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

15 hours ago, rkj427 said:

Could have been much worse.

When the heat went out at my house in February 2022, it was a cracked heat exchanger, and that meant new furnace time.

Did both the furnace and new A/C unit for a discounted price, and although expensive, with the house and original furnace both being about 30 years old, it was just a matter of time.

Hope that resolves all your heat issues there MattF.

Mine is also 30 years old and he said that the heat exchanger is in great shape...he was surprised given it's age.

14 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I put a new blower motor in our Ohio condo last September as a precaution since our furnace is just over 10 yrs old and the tech who I trust said not to count on them lasting much more than that. Figured since we're away all winter it's like insurance against failure.  

I also learnt that furnaces, at least new ones, only have a 10-12 year life, which is just stupid.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

On 2/8/2023 at 11:02 PM, Kenny B said:

Uh oh!!  Putting green just got moved up to a 2023 project!  😆

Dam, Kenny you were right.

The pergola is ready for paint already. I put together my list of materials to build a 10' by 12' pool house with a porch with an overhang, metal roof and electric. Building materials are expensive. So, after a day walking around Lowes and getting my list together I figured I would sleep on it for a day or two before I bit the bullet and got ready for some extensive labor. I took the long route home and just happened to pass by a shed manufacturers lot. I figured what the heck I'll stop and look and see if buying something and modifying it would be cheaper. 

Well, the golf gods were shining on me today. In the back of the lot (60 sheds of all kinds) there was the perfect build. I mean exactly what I was going to build. Size and all. As I got closer the sign said it was discounted because it was a repossession. This was complete in perfect shape and wound up cheaper than the materials alone. Went inside and purchased it. It will be delivered next week. I can check off building a pool house. I prepped the area today as well. Dug up two bushes and transplanted them. Moved some lights and electric lines from the pool fence. Just have to take out two fence panels and pull a post the day before delivery. Slide that baby in place and put part of the fence back. 

You know what that means.  

I picked up all the pinecones around the yard and used them to plot out my green. 

Proposedgreenlocation.jpg.36e1d1c9b52bc8da6504710d84aea5b7.jpg

It's roughly 35 feet deep by 18 feet wide kidney bean shaped. My other two greens were all pretty flat so this time I'm going to leave in some undulations so it will be more fun to practice and not get boring. I can also chip from different directions. By putting it in this location you're always playing away from the house!  

49 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The pergola is ready for paint already. I put together my list of materials to build a 10' by 12' pool house with a porch with an overhang, metal roof and electric. Building materials are expensive. So, after a day walking around Lowes and getting my list together I figured I would sleep on it for a day or two before I bit the bullet and got ready for some extensive labor. I took the long route home and just happened to pass by a shed manufacturers lot. I figured what the heck I'll stop and look and see if buying something and modifying it would be cheaper. 

Well, the golf gods were shining on me today. In the back of the lot (60 sheds of all kinds) there was the perfect build. I mean exactly what I was going to build. Size and all. As I got closer the sign said it was discounted because it was a repossession. This was complete in perfect shape and wound up cheaper than the materials alone. Went inside and purchased it. It will be delivered next week. I can check off building a pool house. I prepped the area today as well. Dug up two bushes and transplanted them. Moved some lights and electric lines from the pool fence. Just have to take out two fence panels and pull a post the day before delivery. Slide that baby in place and put part of the fence back. 

I picked up all the pinecones around the yard and used them to plot out my green. 

It's roughly 35 feet deep by 18 feet wide kidney bean shaped. My other two greens were all pretty flat so this time I'm going to leave in some undulations so it will be more fun to practice and not get boring. I can also chip from different directions. By putting it in this location you're always playing away from the house!  

Well done!!  Got everything under control!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 9:15 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

UPATE:

Item 1 is complete.

Item 4 is complete. I just finished up at 3:00. Forced my son and his girlfriend to pose. 

Item 3 is in progress.

Item 2 Will have to wait until the pool is uncovered.

Item 6 Is really starting to move up the list quickly. Like real quickly. My wife is on a business trip for the next 9 days. 🤣

Poolhousearea.jpg.1ed9b08abb9caf597b35c34d716678ec.jpg

Poolhouse.jpg.b78a533a0c22251d40180a6cc39f14b1.jpg

40 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

UPATE:

Item 1 is complete.

Item 4 is complete. I just finished up at 3:00. Forced my son and his girlfriend to pose. 

Item 3 is in progress.

Item 2 Will have to wait until the pool is uncovered.

Item 6 Is really starting to move up the list quickly. Like real quickly. My wife is on a business trip for the next 9 days. 🤣

Poolhousearea.jpg.1ed9b08abb9caf597b35c34d716678ec.jpg

Poolhouse.jpg.b78a533a0c22251d40180a6cc39f14b1.jpg

You've been really busy and it looks like the hard work is paying off! That pool house looks nice and I love how you made the kiddos pose for you. Best of luck getting that green built while your wife is gone. 

On 2/15/2023 at 8:25 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

What kind of grass are you going to use for the green, and any special prep under the green?

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

Pollen season here in GA is brutal and last from mid Feb - May.  Last year I covered our large porch screens (11.5’ tall) with plastic.  Let the light in, kept the pollen out, but we lost our view.  This year I purchased some clear marine vinyl, built frames and used a combination of spline (top and bottom)  and Velcro (sides). After a mere 8 long days, it’s all installed (will take down in May), and we have our view.
5B630846-1B3A-4EEC-B0BE-6B8576731A53.jpeg.6f3ea3955eea8d61d83c40090701a136.jpeg

Edited by GaryF

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

23 minutes ago, GaryF said:

What kind of grass are you going to use for the green, and any special prep under the green?

At my last two houses I put in artificial turf greens. That came with all the work. Base layer, then 4 inches of crusher run, sand then turf. Now that I Iive in the sand belt region of NC the soil is pretty much all sand once you get down an inch. I will automatically have good drainage. I cut down the area to 1 inch already. Now starting the additional sand leveling. But still leaving in natural undulations. After that I'll fertilize the soil. Then I plan on using Penncross creeping bent grass seed. I'm just a little to far north for Bermuda. 

I have a 10 foot putting mat in my simulator area so this will primarily be a target green for chipping. But knowing my never ending tinkering I'll probably get it to be quick enough for putting. 

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

At my last two houses I put in artificial turf greens. That came with all the work. Base layer, then 4 inches of crusher run, sand then turf. Now that I Iive in the sand belt region of NC the soil is pretty much all sand once you get down an inch. I will automatically have good drainage. I cut down the area to 1 inch already. Now starting the additional sand leveling. But still leaving in natural undulations. After that I'll fertilize the soil. Then I plan on using Penncross creeping bent grass seed. I'm just a little to far north for Bermuda. 

I have a 10 foot putting mat in my simulator area so this will primarily be a target green for chipping. But knowing my never ending tinkering I'll probably get it to be quick enough for putting. 

Sounds like it will be very nice when finished!

• 2 months later...

We redid the kitchen when we moved into our house last year. It was a really fun project but I am terrible at tape and spackle. So I am continuously working on the ceiling in order to have the lines not be visible. At least 5-6 attempts so far and I still can't get it right.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small:Stealth Plus+  Diamana ZF60 Flex X Shaft

3 Wood:  :cobra-small: King F8

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSI3

Irons: :titleist-small: 2019 T100s Limited Edition Black

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM6s 52, 56, & 60 (Black Heads)

Putter: :cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5

Gear: Bushnell Wingman & Shot Scope Pro LX+w/H4 for yardages. 

Stat Tracking: The Grint App

Not sure if it's home improvement but our pool of 5 years developed a crack in the liner and was leaking. These type of pools are apparently only good for about 3 or 4 years and ours has been out in the elements for almost 6, so we've had a good run.

New liner should be here on Sunday and I'll cut this one up and put up the new one at the end of the month.

PXL_20210625_170649736_MP.jpg.f7df36994d2559f4deaa1a0863ce90cb.jpg

In the bag:

Bag: 

On 2/24/2023 at 6:31 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

How is the new green looking?

6 hours ago, GaryF said:

How is the new green looking?

It’s a slow progress. The grass is growing but I’m not sure how long it will take to thicken in. I was also disappointed in the amount of seed that took. I plan on ordering more and over seeding. But now it’s entering the fast growing season with soil teams and air temps up. So we shall see.IMG_0218.jpeg.e6c9f54d08d13ba3a6fd9ff1be577387.jpeg

9 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It’s a slow progress. The grass is growing but I’m not sure how long it will take to thicken in. I was also disappointed in the amount of seed that took. I plan on ordering more and over seeding. But now it’s entering the fast growing season with soil teams and air temps up. So we shall see.IMG_0218.jpeg.e6c9f54d08d13ba3a6fd9ff1be577387.jpeg

What is coming in looks healthy and the remaining bed looks very good.  As nice as it’s been here in GA (despite a couple torrential rain storms) our temps have been weird with some unusually cooler (40s) nights, so imagine you’ve had the same.  Once you get higher lows at night, I’m sure it will spread.  I bet by June-mid June it will have thickened up a lot. 

On 4/28/2023 at 10:21 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

On 4/29/2023 at 8:02 AM, GaryF said:

What is coming in looks healthy and the remaining bed looks very good.  As nice as it’s been here in GA (despite a couple torrential rain storms) our temps have been weird with some unusually cooler (40s) nights, so imagine you’ve had the same.  Once you get higher lows at night, I’m sure it will spread.  I bet by June-mid June it will have thickened up a lot. 

Sounds crazy but growing a healthy, thick lawn can be a multi-year process.... 🤷‍♂️

Gotta have just the right amount of watering, the right types and amounts of fertilizer at the right times (I use a service for that!) and weed/bug killer, aeration twice a year ... 🤦‍♂️

But if you like the look of a nice green lawn it's worth it!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

5 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Sounds crazy but growing a healthy, thick lawn can be a multi-year process.... 🤷‍♂️

Gotta have just the right amount of watering, the right types and amounts of fertilizer at the right times (I use a service for that!) and weed/bug killer, aeration twice a year ... 🤦‍♂️

While I'm patiently watching the grass grow, I built a bar for the pool area. 

Bar.jpg.37b75333feaa9cb8cd5dc9d3c994e3f3.jpg

Now to relocate the pool skimmer and vacuum.  

15 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Or there's sod 🙂

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

My two year project list was completed in 3 months.

Convert the attached two car garage into a man cave. (Golf Simulator, Movie area and Pool Table area. ✅

Power wash the entire pool deck, Pergola, Pergola area and bar area.✅

Strip the paint and repair the existing Pergola. Then re-stain. ✅

Put in a Pool House✅

Build a bar area out by the pool and build the bar. ✅

Build a real grass putting green. Built but waiting on the grass to fill in but it's coming along. ✅

What's left.................  Play a lot of golf, what else.