Home "Improvement"

Our Sponsors

31 minutes ago, edingc said:

Unreal how much some places want to charge for replacement parts. I had a local chain tire store quote me $360 to replace the front pads and rotors on my car. The line-item quote showed they wanted $115 just for the set of pads! Instead, I got a brand new set of ceramic pads and drilled/slotted coated rotors delivered for $110 total and did it myself.

My wife laments that I drive an older car (it's going on 17 years old this year), but the parts are cheap and it's relatively easy to work on. Easy savings if you can get a few standard tools and a warm-ish place to work.

Money not spent on depreciable assets is money saved for future retirement 😊

• Like 7
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Diamana FW 75 S
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Western, NY

5.7 Index

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did a ton this year but this has to be my favorite. My parents helped us build this in our family room.  

Almost finished building myself a new smoker, will get it done tomorrow before seasoning it and hopefully getting some ribs cooked. Sunday morning   Monday afternoon   

We’ve been doing so much work outside. Of course it is sooo hot here we can do it early morning, or late a night. Still have some small things to do, but for the most part it’s ready to go. As I flipp

Posted Images

Money not spent on depreciable assets is money saved for future retirement

... Orrrr golf gear.

But that’s one thing I keep telling myself I’m going to learn how to do. [mention]edingc [/mention] I’m always nervous that I’ll end up spilling brake fluid all over the place.
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

I’m always nervous that I’ll end up spilling brake fluid all over the place.

Can't do that if you're just replacing the pads and rotors. I've replaced my front and rear calipers and barely spilt a drop, but I've got the right tools.

• Like 6

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Can't do that if you're just replacing the pads and rotors. I've replaced my front and rear calipers and barely spilt a drop, but I've got the right tools.

I know that I don’t have the right tools... but I’m 100% positive my neighbors do. They do racing (stock car, I forget which class) and are constantly working on the car. And they’re nice people so they share with me.
  • Like 5

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

#cuetheduckboats

21 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I know that I don’t have the right tools... but I’m 100% positive my neighbors do. They do racing (stock car, I forget which class) and are constantly working on the car. And they’re nice people so they share with me.

Plus I'll bet a great resource if you have car questions. 

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Plus I'll bet a great resource if you have car questions. 

Absolutely! Plus my kids love it when they’re working on it and we can go see. He’s basically a superhero because he’s a racer.
  • Like 2

#cuetheduckboats

3 hours ago, edingc said:

Unreal how much some places want to charge for replacement parts. I had a local chain tire store quote me $360 to replace the front pads and rotors on my car. The line-item quote showed they wanted $115 just for the set of pads! Instead, I got a brand new set of ceramic pads and drilled/slotted coated rotors delivered for $110 total and did it myself.

My wife laments that I drive an older car (it's going on 17 years old this year), but the parts are cheap and it's relatively easy to work on. Easy savings if you can get a few standard tools and a warm-ish place to work.

My car has Brembo brakes on it - I needed brakes last Spring, but because of COVID-related shipping delays, I could not find pads anywhere. I called the dealer and they wanted $700 for just the pads. I laughed and told the guy I was on the Brembo site and could get the pads for $135. He was convinced I was looking at the wrong pads, but I read him the Hyundai SKU. I suggested they should be embarrassed with that amount of mark-up. 

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

Tell me about it! I used to work in automotive. We made the fuel systems for many OEM's. This included the gas tank, fuel pump, heat shield, and quick connect lines. As an example we sold a complete system to Dodge for the Durango for $110.00. I priced replacing this system from the dealer (I had a Durango). They were going to charge me $1,100.00 not including installation.  After researching other parts it turns out that they just add an extra zero at the end. Criminal I say just criminal! Nothing but pure price gouging. They should be held to a certain profit margin.  

• Like 7

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Did a skim coat of spackle on all seams and screws in one room today. Will tape and do second coat and hopefully final coat tomorrow. If it isn’t the final coat I’ll do a coat over top of the tape after that if I feel it is necessary. Going to have my dad finish the last few pieces of drywall in my closet tomorrow while I spackle. We are too similar but have different ways of doing things so we tend to butt heads so if working on different things means I get help but no arguments which is key.

C0D9F7C6-7EBD-4BB4-AC4B-CF93ABB319A2.jpeg

• Like 7

Guess what I've been doing this past week. Fortunately I've got a young man to do the install. However, I am doing the trim. Changing it from the 90's builders grade 3 1/2" to 5 1/2". Got the thicker version so I don't have to put 1/4 round around the base.
IMG_6280.JPGIMG_0435.JPGIMG_0436.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

4 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Guess what I've been doing this past week. Fortunately I've got a young man to do the install. However, I am doing the trim. Changing it from the 90's builders grade 3 1/2" to 5 1/2". Got the thicker version so I don't have to put 1/4 round around the base.
IMG_6280.JPGIMG_0435.JPGIMG_0436.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I can smell these pictures 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Western, NY

5.7 Index

16 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Did a skim coat of spackle on all seams and screws in one room today. Will tape and do second coat and hopefully final coat tomorrow. If it isn’t the final coat I’ll do a coat over top of the tape after that if I feel it is necessary. Going to have my dad finish the last few pieces of drywall in my closet tomorrow while I spackle. We are too similar but have different ways of doing things so we tend to butt heads so if working on different things means I get help but no arguments which is key.....

Good planning on the different work zones for you and your Dad!!   😄  I've been getting a lot of small mudding repair side jobs lately since they are too small for the real drywall guys to want to bother with.  Mostly seams or corners that cracked they want repaired prior to a repaint but there was one where the guy put his foot through the ceiling while in the attic.  I am redoing our hallway ceiling corner joints prior to a repaint too, one more skim coat and I'll call it good.  

• Like 5

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Callaway Mavrik 16.5* 4W, EvenFlow Riptide 6.0 S 70g;  Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

7 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Good planning on the different work zones for you and your Dad!!   😄  I've been getting a lot of small mudding repair side jobs lately since they are too small for the real drywall guys to want to bother with.  Mostly seams or corners that cracked they want repaired prior to a repaint but there was one where the guy put his foot through the ceiling while in the attic.  I am redoing our hallway ceiling corner joints prior to a repaint too, one more skim coat and I'll call it good.  

I did the skim coat yesterday on all the seams and screws. Today was taping and doing the coat over the tape. Going to do another coat or two over the tape to make it look good depending on how it looks. Hoping to keep in under 4 coats total but if I need more I’ll do more. My dad never came didn’t want to do spackling so had 3 people on one room which we got most of it done today only a few ceiling corners and seams to do with tape.

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Got an interlock kit and power inlet installed today for a portable backup generator by an electrician.

I am always down for tinkering around with things around the house, but two things i will not work on: anything involving electricity and anything involving going on the roof. 

I don't really think we need a backup generator for the house but my wife really wanted it. She probably doesn't think I need as much golf equipment as I buy either. When she asked for the generator, my response was "okay, i will call the electrician"

• Like 8

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2

19 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Got an interlock kit and power inlet installed today for a portable backup generator by an electrician.

I am always down for tinkering around with things around the house, but two things i will not work on: anything involving electricity and anything involving going on the roof. 

I don't really think we need a backup generator for the house but my wife really wanted it. She probably doesn't think I need as much golf equipment as I buy either. When she asked for the generator, my response was "okay, i will call the electrician"

I was gonna ask why not go with a PV battery type backup solution, then I remembered you live in the grey sky part of the country 😞

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

37 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I was gonna ask why not go with a PV battery type backup solution, then I remembered you live in the grey sky part of the country 😞

How many watts do those things put out?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2

7 hours ago, dlow206 said:

How many watts do those things put out?

13.5 kWh capacity

Power

7kW peak / 5kW continuous Seamless backup transition Pure sine wave output

I'm not an electrician or an electrical engineer so I have no idea what any of this means

However, it would take you a decent amount of time to break even on this purchase, for something that you might make use of once over that period of time.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

On 3/8/2021 at 9:04 PM, dlow206 said:

This is on my list for when we have our 1970s panel upgraded to 200 amp service. A few years ago we lost power for almost two days during an ice storm with temperatures in the 20s. I was able to wire an appliance plug into our furnace that time, thankfully, but having an interlock kit would have saved a ton of headache.

We've talked about getting an inline natural gas generator also. A co-worker of mine had on installed for about $7,000 last summer. His could do his whole house and hot tub; we wouldn't need that big of one.

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.5 (Last Updated March 13, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

8 minutes ago, edingc said:

This is on my list for when we have our 1970s panel upgraded to 200 amp service. A few years ago we lost power for almost two days during an ice storm with temperatures in the 20s. I was able to wire an appliance plug into our furnace that time, thankfully, but having an interlock kit would have saved a ton of headache.

We've talked about getting an inline natural gas generator also. A co-worker of mine had on installed for about $7,000 last summer. His could do his whole house and hot tub; we wouldn't need that big of one.

Transfer switch is all you need. I work with two guys who own their own standalone generator business. As great as they are, the portables hooked into a transfer switch is all most of us need. I paid $300 to have my switch installed with a sub panel and it’s been there waiting go he used ever since. 

Hopefully it’ll never be used 😊

• Like 3
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Wow.... This thread. I have NO idea how to do all of these things y’all are doing! Home repairs, cars, etc. I was never around to see anything fixed when I was a kid, so I never learned. Outside of putting-in new toilets, there isn’t much I know how to do around the house. Sucks

• Like 5

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0