TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylor Made Forged 2011 lineup

Rounders

• SPY VIP

So what is the purpose of the weight with the torx screw? Can you alter the weighting to customize swing weights?

The CB does have a AP look to it IMO as well

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Can't really say I like the weight and screw. Adams pulls it off well with thier MB irons, but these don't look right. I think its the weird hexagonal shape and the black plastic look to it. The MB looks ok, although I preferred the previous model. The CM looks like a busy Mizuno and the CB looks like an AP with a sawed off cavity. Not digging the weight.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• SPY VIP

If the weight screw is user-adjustable (like MWT but with only one weight to change the swingweight) that's a cool idea, but if it's like the weight in the Burner drivers, it's a whole lot of ugly for very little gain.

+1 here. I would look a ton better without the weight/screw. It had better improve the playability dramatically.

[like I care, my next set will certainly not be blades. :) ]

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I don't like the hex screw, that's for sure, but I am much more disappointed in half-carbon/half-silver cavity. These clubs should be clean and classy, not jazzed up with carbon nonsense. If they were cleaner (and at the right price), the CBs and CMs would have a real shot with me, but as it is I will continue to pine for other things.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm guessing the screw is for swingweight.

As for the look, they all like Titleist clubs. Esp the blade. It's a straight clone of the 710 MB with a TM stamp on it, weight screw excluded

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I'm guessing the screw is for swingweight.

As for the look, they all like Titleist clubs. Esp the blade. It's a straight clone of the 710 MB with a TM stamp on it, weight screw excluded

This wouldn't be the first set of clubs to offer "innovations" that have been done before by someone else... and the new model year's just getting started! What's next, graphite faces? That didn't work out too well a few decades ago...

I don't like the hex screw, that's for sure, but I am much more disappointed in half-carbon/half-silver cavity. These clubs should be clean and classy, not jazzed up with carbon nonsense. If they were cleaner (and at the right price), the CBs and CMs would have a real shot with me, but as it is I will continue to pine for other things.

I actually kind of like the carbon in the CM, but it is out of place in the CB.

Weight screw still ugly.

The location and color are clues to its purpose. Notice its near the sweet spot and not the same color as the club. Usuall Tayormade would add the weight lower to improve its forgiveness not locate it so high as the do here. Also why not make it the same color it would be easy to chrome plate it if they wanted. It does alot more then just adjust swing weight. My guess given its position and obvious multi material make up is that it will allow the use to adjust the feel of the iron to use user preference. Put a softer insert for a more cushioned pleasant feel or a harder weight for a more responsive feel.

Everyone has their opinions about the weight. I personally haven't heard anyone from TM tell us what it's exactly for but I would amagine SW that can be adjusted so the set is easier to match up? Switching weights instead of adding a bunch of weight in hosel, also this should help move the sweetspot more centered then previous mb's where the sweetspot is usually more towards hosel. I believe I heard that ladder somewhere around the net. Also no need for lead tape? Also who really cares about the weight in the back as far as astetics..... unless your planning on using the back of your iron to hit the ball, how many times will it affect play? As long as when I set it down to address the ball it has a thin topline and minimal offset I'll like the address posistion. But more importantly if these weights are made to where it would change the sound, thus change the feel that's a good thing. JMO

PS: Not sure if this would happen but over time would the screw rust or the sleeve that the screw bolts to rust and cause issues? Or could this possibly come loose from forged head, I mean what holds the female side of the thread in the head? JAT

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

The New Wilson's put these to shame

Let's face it, they are going to put every other club for the next 12 months look ugly. But as usual being a Wilson, they won't fly off the shelf. I'll look at a set in 18 months time when there on closeout.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Probably tighten the screw expands a small rubber layer to make a water tight seal.Since the screw probably isn't made to be as used as often as one of the weight screws for the drivers that would suffice for protection. Regardless of how its done Taylormade put some major engineering into it and devoted threeiron lines to it. This is no small gimmick thats way too much investment for a small gimmick.

Probably tighten the screw expands a small rubber layer to make a water tight seal.Since the screw probably isn't made to be as used as often as one of the weight screws for the drivers that would suffice for protection. Regardless of how its done Taylormade put some major engineering into it and devoted threeiron lines to it. This is no small gimmick thats way too much investment for a small gimmick.

Well, they devoted a lot of R&D to irons filled with foam (the r9 and the r9 TP). Foam. If that doesn't scream "gimmick!!!" I don't know what does. It's the same as when they couple an 8iron head with a 35" shaft and etch "P" on the sole... or making stock drivers with 46.25" lengths knowing full well the average golfer shouldn't be playing anything over 44.75"... In my opinion, Taylormade is 46% gimmick and 53% marketing. The xFT wedges were their only real innovation, in my eyes, hence the remaining 1%.

Rather unattractive. Makes it even less likely I will ever use a set of TM irons.

I play at: Bearwood Lakes Golf Club

Bag:

Callaway Mavrik, HZRDUS Smoke Black S

Callaway Epic, HZRDUS Handcrafted Yellow, S

TM Sim Max 4 hybrid, Ventus S

Srixon 585/785 4-PW, NS Pro 980 S

Cleveland 50/54/58, NS Pro 980 S

Edel E-2 Torque Balanced

Let's face it, they are going to put every other club for the next 12 months look ugly. But as usual being a Wilson, they won't fly off the shelf. I'll look at a set in 18 months time when there on closeout.

As Metallica so eliquently put it: "You know it's sad but true". I would LOVE to be able to do a completely blind test- heads, grips, shafts and balls. When a person can't see the label and just hits it, what would the outcome be? There wouldn't be any bias, no preconceived notions, just numbers. I wonder what the outcome would be? I'm willing to bet no one would notice any differences for a great majority of the equipment tested.

• 3 weeks later...

I got to see and hit all 3 of these today. Per the rep, here's the story on the weights:

With all heads from all OEMs, there are inconsistencies in the weight. For irons, this is evened out by weighting the hosel. The problem with this is that it can throw off the COG. The weight plugs allow TM to dial in swing weights and also to adjust for these discrepancies while keeping the COG where it belongs.

Also, the MB and MC are fully forged, the CB is face forged.

My take:

The MB looks sick. The MC looks very good (still don't love the carbon fiber bit) and the CB looks ok. In terms of feel, the CB is lacking compared to the other two. Both the MC and MB feel fantastic. I am very excited about these and thinking that I might be getting a full set of MCs or possibly a MC/MB split set.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I got to see and hit all 3 of these today. Per the rep, here's the story on the weights:

With all heads from all OEMs, there are inconsistencies in the weight. For irons, this is evened out by weighting the hosel. The problem with this is that it can throw off the COG. The weight plugs allow TM to dial in swing weights and also to adjust for these discrepancies while keeping the COG where it belongs.

Also, the MB and MC are fully forged, the CB is face forged.

My take:

The MB looks sick. The MC looks very good (still don't love the carbon fiber bit) and the CB looks ok. In terms of feel, the CB is lacking compared to the other two. Both the MC and MB feel fantastic. I am very excited about these and thinking that I might be getting a full set of MCs or possibly a MC/MB split set.

It's nice to know it isn't just cosmetic. The weight port is really nothing new, but this is the first time I've heard of (that I can remember off the top of my head) it being added to a forged blade. It is a smart idea- I'm not a huge fan of tip pins, but there can be a point where there's too much lead tape (or the appearance of, to some eyes). The rep is right, from all I've seen/read/heard: if you see golfers with blades who have a consistent swing, many times the wear spot will be towards the heel, because that's where the CG is located. Optimizing it to the center can only be a bonus. If you can get past the look- some can, some can't- it's a smart clubfitting tool.

Thanks for the info Saturn- it definitely made me do a rethink for the better.

Archived