TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing Left to fix a hook

I had a golf instructor years ago who had me doing a drill that I though was nuts at the time.  He put a rod down that was aimed a good bit to the left of my target and told me to swing down that line.  Well I thought he had sucked down waaaay too much stump liquor telling me to swing left when my ball was already going that way. In fact the reason I went to see him because the frigging ball was hooking too far left.  He told me to trust him and the results would change my mind on this drill. 

He  said the more I swing out to the right the more I would hit blocks or flip my wrists causing duck hooks .  Sooooo I sucked in a belly full of air and said WTF it can't hurt nothing.  Dayuuuummmmm when I swing left and finish around my body, I actually started hitting the ball straight with a slight fade.  :blink:

I had a recent case of the hooks so I had to pull this little tip out of my lesson book so hopefully it will help some of you....   

It sounds funny with the swing left if you're hooking and swing right if ya slicing.  This game is backwards huh?  :D

Maybe some of you advanced players can explain better why swinging left can help a hooker?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Your ball flight is a result of your club face in relation to swing path at impact. If you are swinging right, your instinct is to "save" it by closing the face by flipping the face shut. The face is closed to the path resulting in a right to left flight. The more right you swing the further left it will turn (assuming you keep shutting the face). It's a fun thing to play around with. Congrats on the breakthrough.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Your ball flight is a result of your club face in relation to swing path at impact. If you are swinging right, your instinct is to "save" it by closing the face by flipping the face shut. The face is closed to the path resulting in a right to left flight. The more right you swing the further left it will turn (assuming you keep shutting the face). It's a fun thing to play around with. Congrats on the breakthrough.

Thanks Doc that makes a lot of sense now.  Back then I thought the old coach had lost his mind.  It truly works if you let the fear go. 

Cleveland

I had a golf instructor years ago who had me doing a drill that I though was nuts at the time.  He put a rod down that was aimed a good bit to the left of my target and told me to swing down that line.  Well I thought he had sucked down waaaay too much stump liquor telling me to swing left when my ball was already going that way. In fact the reason I went to see him because the frigging ball was hooking too far left.  He told me to trust him and the results would change my mind on this drill. 

He  said the more I swing out to the right the more I would hit blocks or flip my wrists causing duck hooks .  Sooooo I sucked in a belly full of air and said WTF it can't hurt nothing.  Dayuuuummmmm when I swing left and finish around my body, I actually started hitting the ball straight with a slight fade.  :blink:

I had a recent case of the hooks so I had to pull this little tip out of my lesson book so hopefully it will help some of you....   

It sounds funny with the swing left if you're hooking and swing right if ya slicing.  This game is backwards huh?  :D

Maybe some of you advanced players can explain better why swinging left can help a hooker?

I'll have to keep this in mind next time I'm on the course and start my run of hitting hooked drives.  Blew too many good rounds this way...

Thanks!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I'll have to keep this in mind next time I'm on the course and start my run of hitting hooked drives.  Blew too many good rounds this way...

Thanks!

MDGolfHacker

Staying connected and making sure your grip is not too strong helps too.  I found a pre swing routine where I hold the club with my left arm when the back of my hand mirrors the face of the club.  Set it down them put the right hand on and you're ready to go. 

Cleveland

Good article that helps explain why your ball does what it does.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-flight-laws-mygolfspy/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Good article that helps explain why your ball does what it does.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-flight-laws-mygolfspy/

Good read!  

Cleveland

This is a smart drill. I️ like the visual cues, it makes simple sense.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Another idea to consider:  

Instructor Rick Smith says it can be difficult to stop hooking the ball because the way to do so is counter-intuitive. If you're a right-hander who is scared to hook the ball to the left, it feels as if turning your upper body to the left will take the ball to the left, as well. It's just the opposite. By slowing your turn to the target, your hands and arms whip through ahead of your body, shut the clubface and produce the very shot you dread. So keep turning. Rotate your chest and hips until your shirt buttons and belt buckle point to the left of the target. The rotation of the body keeps the club from closing.

Cleveland

I'm an inside out hooker so well familiar with this drill. It is very effective at trying to exit left without shutting the face. My problem is I tend to take it back outside and disconnected so I drop it too far down and in in the transition. I get better results when I work really hard in keeping the butt of the club pointing at my belt or left of the target line throughout the takeaway. If I get it back on cleaner lines it comes through on cleaner lines without having to work at it

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Golf is a game of opposites. My grandpa always use to say “swing left to hit right, swing right to hit left, hit down to go up, swing up to hit down.” I never really understood swing up to hit down...he basically meant it would be a top lol

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Definitely works, but have to release the hips too and get that belt buckle pointed at the target, finish the swing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

R1 TP w/Fujikura Speeder57 Evolution Stiff
Speedline Super S 3W 15* w/Matrix HD Radix S 60 Stiff
Idea Tech V4 3-hybrid Stiff
Blue Irons 5-PW TrueTemper Dynalite 85 Stiff
CG15 52* & 588 RTX 56* Wedges
Cure RXi

Definitely works, but have to release the hips too and get that belt buckle pointed at the target, finish the swing.

I'm having a great deal of success swinging to the left now. Beautiful fades that are shocking to my eyes. I'm losing some distance because I'm still cautious about getting after it on certain holes. It's a mind thing for me

Cleveland

I'm having a great deal of success swinging to the left now. Beautiful fades that are shocking to my eyes. I'm losing some distance because I'm still cautious about getting after it on certain holes. It's a mind thing for me

Me too, nice high fade when everything syncs up but big pull or high pull hooks if I get tired and stop turning the hips.

I need to remember to start the backswing straight back and not too far inside as well.

Cure RXi

I need to play with this...I've had a case of snap hooks with woods and hybrids lately.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Me too, nice high fade when everything syncs up but big pull or high pull hooks if I get tired and stop turning the hips.

I need to remember to start the backswing straight back and not too far inside as well.

Exactly. Any hanging back and you can double cross yourself

Cleveland

I need to play with this...I've had a case of snap hooks with woods and hybrids lately.

Exactly what I had. This and belt buckle pointing at the target on your finish is huge. Also, swing 75-80% and start the downswing slowly, accelerate through. Getting quick and snatching it from the top will also get you into trouble. Initiating from the bottom up is a must (proper sequence). A lot to think about so take it to the range, not the course.

Cure RXi

It's like letting go on a 100 foot high water slide at first.  You get a rush when a duck hook turns into a baby fade.   It's scary swinging to the left and trusting the process. 

Cleveland

Exactly what I had. This and belt buckle pointing at the target on your finish is huge. Also, swing 75-80% and start the downswing slowly, accelerate through. Getting quick and snatching it from the top will also get you into trouble. Initiating from the bottom up is a must (proper sequence). A lot to think about so take it to the range, not the course.

Exactly. Like pushing a kid on a swing. Let gravity start the downswing then accelerate faster as things fall.

Archived