Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How far is too far?

Trout Bum

I'm going to take a look at a course to join that's about 45 minutes from my house, it looks like a wonderful course from my drive by last week, it's a Ross built in 29 with a shortgame area and a range.

Does 45 minutes sound far to you guys? 

Would you join a course 45 minutes from your home or would you stay closer?

I'm with DJ. 30 minutes would be my limit...although I've been know to drive 2-18 hours to play a round with friends.  :D

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

A lot depends upon your circumstance. What courses are closer? It would be too far for me. I like to unwind by practicing even for half an hour. I'm not making a 45 minute drive for that.

But perhaps you're circumstance and golfing needs are different. My favorite course in the area TPC Tampa is a 45 drive. But we also have half a dozen courses closer that have been used for tour events of some type. As much as I like that course I wouldn't join it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

At first I was ready to laugh at your question because I thought it was only about "playing" 45 minutes away. "Joining" is a whole 'nother animal. You'll pretty much be limited to playing only as weeknight events and general "hanging out at the club" will prove to be very difficult to work into your schedule.

If the course is anywhere close to your work, that's a different story. But if you don't end up in the area often, that's a tough ask. I wouldn't do it but you may have different priorities than me.

Do they have any kind of "absentee membership" where you get reduced rates if you live outside a certain radius?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

It all depends on if that is the only course that is close enough for you to join. I agree with most I wouldn't go further than 30 minutes but that extra 15 isn't horrible if it is on your way home from work or if it is in the area of somewhere you already spend a lot of time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I guess "joining" needs some clarification. Is it a public facility with annual packages or is this a private club with monthly dues? I would be very slow to join a private club without knowing a lot more about the members themselves and the availability of regular games. Being a member of someplace that doesn't end up fitting for you feels like money wasted. If it's a public place and you feel like you'll get your money's worth in time spent there then sure. I think time spent is the biggie. Would you spend more time someplace much closer that maybe had fewer features? My club is only about 10 minutes away and I can't count the number of evenings I hit balls for a half hour or play a 3 hole loop with another member. I wouldn't do either of those 45 minutes away

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

That's a lot of travel time trout. Are there any clubs closer? I understand the club has history being a Donald Ross course, but 1.5 hours is a lot of travel time especially if you'll be spending a lot of time there playing and practicing.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

How many times per week would you be playing?  If you're only playing a couple times per week and it has all the bells and whistles then I would consider it. If you play more than a couple times to include using the range, the gas spent on the frequent travel would add to the overall package.  I would also factor in traffic  as that 45 minutes could grow pending how busy it is.  I hope it works out if it meets all your criteria. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

It is private, I'm an up and down low handicap golfer that has been known to spend a whole day a he reange so that Parts worth it, they also have a non resident membership with a really good rate.

One of my biggest issues about closer courses is conditions, I hate fuzzy driving ranges and I'd bet most around me mow twice a week which drives me nuts.

I do travel allot for work but hanging out at a course on the weekends is something I'm looking to enjoy again, I think my wife would enjoy seeing me play good golf again too, she knows how important golf is to me and actually is the one that found this course lol.

Just curious about what others would do or how far they'd drive to and from a good course with a solid membership deal.

I think your second post clears up a lot. If you could spend the better part of s day there playing snd practicing on the weekends, I think it would be worth it. Having s nice practoce faculty and a course in good condition can't be over emphazose.

The support of your wife is hige as well. And me I like a little drive time on the way home. It would give you a chance to go over your round or practice session in your head and evaluate how it went.

Plus I certsinly would love to play a nice little Ross course when I come visit ...LOL

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

..........Having s nice practoce faculty and a course in good condition can't be over emphazose.

I know this is off topic but I had to do it:

Emphazose is an awesome word. I'm gonna try to work it into a sentence today 🤣

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Traffic is pretty non existent Gray, It's in a small town called Morganton, NC here's a link http://mimosahills.org/

Lots of valid points and I appreciate the responses, I think in the end it will boil down to how often I can get out there to play and practice

Well h*ll, I would join too since the course is named after a drink invented circa 1925 in the Hotel Ritz Paris by Frank Meijer! 😂🤣 support from the wife is important and you make some valid points so I say go for it!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Traffic is pretty non existent Gray, It's in a small town called Morganton, NC here's a link   http://mimosahills.org/  

Lots of valid points and I appreciate the responses, I think in the end it will boil down to how often I can get out there to play and practice

WOWSER!  It's beautiful and for the non - resident membership, you can't beat it!  Yea I would have to join this puppy.  :D 

Non-Resident Membership*

Available to applicants who

reside outside of Burke County.

Includes use of all Club facilities.

Monthly Dues: $100.00

Capital Dues: $10.00

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

With great non-resident rates I would join in a heartbeat.  We have decent courses around my area, but nothing like that one.  However, 45 minutes is the same distance to the Wine Valley GC in Walla Walla, WA, a public course that hosts U.S. Open local qualifying.  I love playing that course.  The facilities are great but it's a relatively new course.  The bad news is that annual membership is $3100.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

With great non-resident rates I would join in a heartbeat. We have decent courses around my area, but nothing like that one. However, 45 minutes is the same distance to the Wine Valley GC in Walla Walla, WA, a public course that hosts U.S. Open local qualifying. I love playing that course. The facilities are great but it's a relatively new course. The bad news is that annual membership is $3100.

I agree with KennyB. My jaw dropped when I saw those prices. I live a few blocks from a club that I'm considering but the monthly dues are $500. And the stock is a slightly used Camry. My wife keeps shaking her head at me when we drive by. I'm wearing her down though ;) I say go for it!

It depends on what your day is like. If you are working full time then it won't work out too we'll because adding 2 hours on top of golfing each time you golf would get old quickly. Forget on the spur of the moment golfing.

There are 2 clubs near me I joined the further one which is 11 mins even that about half the time I wish I join the one that's 5 mins from my place twice the price.

45 min - not bad if your expectation is you're going to play on weekends only. It'll be a bit tiresome if you're planning on playing after work - that equals an hour and a half drive every time. I'd agree with some comments here that you should play there a few times to see if it meets your requirements. In the end though 100/mo is pretty cheap. I play 300. Month for overall dues + 3900 annually golf membership for my wife and myself. On the other hand it's an awesome club and great course.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

100 a month would certainly change my thinking.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

100 a month would certainly change my thinking.

Mine too heck I spend that on two rounds and that sometimes is just one week. The price definitely is a game changer. The drive still stinks but the price is incredible.

Traffic is pretty non existent Gray, It's in a small town called Morganton, NC here's a link http://mimosahills.org/

May be worth asking for a trial membership. Many private clubs offer a one year membership forgoing the initiation fee if there is one.

Should have read further. For $100/Mo it's a no brained even if you only play once a week

My club is 45 minutes away without traffic and worth every minute I spent in the car.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I would agree it depends on your circumstances. I joined one 25 minutes away and it's about as far as i would go, but it also averages out to 3.5 hour rounds and less if I'm by myself so it can be round trip of 4 hours for 18. If the course was to take a min of 4 hours it would definitely be to for me.

I love golfing it I don't want it to take up my whole day.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I love golfing it I don't want it to take up my whole day.

I have a hard time understanding that, but everyone's circumstances are different. When I golf, that's pretty much my day and I consider myself fortunate to have that luxury.

That being said, I still wouldn't spend an hour and a half on the road to play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

I'm going to take a look at a course to join that's about 45 minutes from my house, it looks like a wonderful course from my drive by last week, it's a Ross built in 29 with a shortgame area and a range.

Does 45 minutes sound far to you guys?

Would you join a course 45 minutes from your home or would you stay closer?

If you practice a lot then find somewhere much closer or you will find excuses not to go simply because of the drive..

Then all of a sudden it's a burden

My course is 4mins from my house so I'm lucky haha...!

If you practice a lot then find somewhere much closer or you will find excuses not to go simply because of the drive..

Then all of a sudden it's a burden

My course is 4mins from my house so I'm lucky haha...!

Oh believe me I would if there was anything half decent that was close, all the ranges near me are crap.

I'm heading out to play this track today, I'm hoping it's everything I need and want in a course. Funny thing, I was talking about the drive and my wife reminded me of when I lived in Vermont and would drive to Maryland to play because there was no snow on the ground there and then turn around and come home lol, 45 minutes isn't bad compared to 7 hours lol

Archived